Metal Storm logo
Judas Priest - Doncaster, England, 17th July 2011

Event: Judas Priest: Epitaph World Tour
Written by: Baz Anderson
Published: 18.07.2011

Galleries:

Judas Priest - Doncaster, England, 17th July 2011 by Baz Anderson (50)

Two years ago when Judas Priest last toured the UK, it was billed as the "Priest Feast" tour. This "Epitaph" tour is the band's last ever world tour, and served more of a "Priest Feast" than the encounter two years ago did - with the band performing for an epic, two and a quarter hours. This allowed the band to perform at least one song from each studio album (with Halford) in a setlist that simply could not have been argued with.

Judas Priest

This strange Doncaster date of the tour was held in a leisure centre sports hall, and gave the people of the east midlands opportunity to catch this legendary band for potentially the last time. The sports hall provided only a fraction of the capacity of an arena, and was probably the smallest and most intimate show of the tour. Being almost able to reach out and touch the band was a big difference from the arena shows of the last tour.

Judas Priest

Supporting were a couple of bands from the United States. Rival Sons are a relatively new blues/hard rock band stuck in the 70's. The audience small and dwindling in numbers didn't do this band's surprisingly enjoyable set any justice. Queensrÿche had more of an audience and played a few older songs, but it was only a couple of these older songs that were worth hearing.

Judas Priest

Judas Priest had brought their flamethrowers, CO2 canisters, light effects and motorbike with them to Doncaster as they blasted into an opening duo of "Rapid Fire" and "Metal Gods". The first noticeable different was the lack of K.K. Downing, and Richie Faulkner in his place. This guy however did a fantastic job on guitar and was obviously having the time of his life up there with Judas Priest. His enthusiasm and life transmitted to the audience, where on the other side of the stage, Glenn and Ian especially were taking it easy.

Judas Priest

Halford looked up for the fight mentally, but also with his large wardrobe of clothes at the side of the stage. These days his voice is constantly under the spotlight and attracting unnecessary scrutiny, but aside from with "The Sentinel", Halford's immortal shrieking voice sounded spine-tinglingly perfect on this night.

Judas Priest

A two and a quarter hour set is ambitious and brave, but it certainly gives the audience their money's worth. With such a long set there are bound to be some songs that fly below the radar, such as "Prophecy", but it also means that some songs were taken to the stage that haven't been there for a while and given their time to shine once more. "Starbreaker" was a nice addition, as was the acoustic/metal version of "Diamonds & Rust", but also "Turbo Lover" and "Blood Red Skies" especially sounded absolutely epic live with a rawer and more metal edge.

Judas Priest

There is nothing more Judas Priest could have done to make their show more special. The iconic motorbike, multiple encores, and brilliant setlist. It was an absolute pleasure to once again watch Judas Priest live. If this is the last time the band take to the road, then this "Epitaph" show is the perfect way to say goodbye. They would certainly be missed, but Richie may be breathing new life and enthusiasm into the band themselves also. We can only wait and find out the future of the band, but on this night Judas Priest cemented their rightful place as legends of this music we call metal.

Judas Priest

Setlist: Rapid Fire / Metal Gods / Heading Out To The Highway / Judas Rising / Starbreaker / Victim Of Changes / Never Satisfied / Diamonds & Rust / Prophecy / Night Crawler / Turbo Lover / Beyond The Realms Of Death / The Sentinel / Blood Red Skies / The Green Manalishi (With The Two Pronged Crown) / Breaking The Law / Painkiller / Electric Eye / Hell Bent For Leather / You've Got Another Thing Comin' / Living After Midnight

Judas Priest

Written by Barry Anderson.
Photos by Barry Anderson.

Written on 18.07.2011 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 15   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 211 users
18.07.2011 - 05:08
Fat & Sassy!

That setlist is fucking AWESOME. o_o
18.07.2011 - 06:58
Mindheist
No Longer Human
It's such a shame to see legendary bands hang up their boots and close the drapes of an epic era that I wasn't lucky enough to be a part of. I've always said that before I die, I shall attend the concerts of Europe's big guns from Sabbath to Priest and the big four of thrash metal. Well, I guess it's too late now...At least for Priest.

Nice article Baz and farewell Judas Priest, you'll forever be remembered .
18.07.2011 - 10:43
Milena
gloom cookie
It was awesome when they visited Serbia a couple weeks back. Obviously, I'm a bit more emotional about the two other bands I've seen (Queen + Paul Rodgers and Sonata Arctica), but this was the metal spectacle of my lifetime. I don't think anyone is ever going to repeat that. Maybe Maiden if they decide to have a tour like this, with all this blasting and metal
----
7.0 means the album is good
18.07.2011 - 10:47
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I caught this show about 2 weeks ago here in Bucharest, best concert i've ever seen when taking everything into account.

Priest will live on, they're the one and only Metal Gods goddamit!

only difference, the crowd was quite rowdy here, and at the end we didn't leave until they gave us what we wanted: Living After Midnight!!
18.07.2011 - 13:41
Baz Anderson

Oh yes, they did "Living After Midnight" in Doncaster too. Forgot about that one, woops...
I'm glad I managed to get so many cool pictures. This one is so epic with the fire blasting in the background.
18.07.2011 - 16:37
Kingface

Great review and pictures Baz! Judas Priest's performance at this show was the best I've seen by any band ever, including the last time I saw them in Sheffield, for pretty much all the reasons you describe in this review.

I'm so glad I finally got to witness Living After Midnight live! The ultimate Party Metal song! To witness plenty of my other favourites that they didn't play on the last tour as well, such as Victim of Changes, Turbo Lover and The Sentinel was amazing as well.

Also, I got one of Scott Travis' Drumsticks!

Edit: I thought Queensryche were pretty good, but could've been better.
18.07.2011 - 23:51
sbgmetal

Man i gotta see the priest this tour!
19.07.2011 - 00:33
Milena
gloom cookie
We got Living after Midnight too and the dude who was on my buss got a bass pick ^_^
----
7.0 means the album is good
19.07.2011 - 03:13
Carl Berg
Carl Berg
We didn't have Diamonds and Rust at Graspop, dammit I wanted to see that song so hard...
20.07.2011 - 03:50
SkaldfraNorden

I watched them in Belgrade on July 1st and I just couldn't believe what energy those 4 old men have I jumped,. screamed, cried, I was simply out of my mind during those 2 and a quarter hours! I consider myself as a big Blind Guardian fan, but this gig was better than all 3 shows of BG put together, on which i went in Serbia.

There are no words which can describe this spectacle. METAL GODS \m/
20.07.2011 - 21:55
Xylem

I was there, my mate got one of each pick, both guitarists and bass. Fucking amazing show.
21.07.2011 - 00:23
Kingface

Written by Xylem on 20.07.2011 at 21:55

I was there, my mate got one of each pick, both guitarists and bass. Fucking amazing show.

Funnily enough, the guy to the left of me at that show managed to do exactly the same! So either it's the same person or two people managed such luck! Was it by any chance the guy at the barrier with Long Hair, Beard and an Overkill shirt on?
21.07.2011 - 00:25
Xylem

Written by Kingface on 21.07.2011 at 00:23

Written by Xylem on 20.07.2011 at 21:55

Funnily enough, the guy to the left of me at that show managed to do exactly the same! So either it's the same person or two people managed such luck!

Well my guy was a fat ginger guy... that's probably the best description of him, he's pretty remarkable if you remember what 'the guy to your left' looked like?
21.07.2011 - 00:28
Kingface

Ah, I edited my original message to add a description just now, sounds like it wasn't the same guy. The guy I'm referring to definitely wasn't fat!
21.07.2011 - 01:18
Baz Anderson

I'd have liked to have got a plectrum from this show. I have a pretty large collection, but unfortunately no Judas Priest ones...

Hits total: 8796 | This month: 10