Album: Mourning Wept Beside Me
Style: Atmospheric black metal, Depressive black metal
Release date: May 2011

01. Bewildered
02. A Ghost Among People
03. Four Walls And A Restless Shadow
04. Like A Wilted Flower
05. Feed On Tears

Ambient black metal is one of those genres where you have to dig deep through a lot of uninspired crap to get something good in return. We know that we shouldn't be fooled so easily by large numbers these days (3 demos, 2 compilations and 4 full-lengths since 2009). While the latest album by Lost Inside won't make the fans of the genre wet themselves in awe, this album isn't horrible. The kind of average albums that can be sort of enjoyable every now and then...

You should know what to expect by now. This American duo brings us a mild ambient black metal album. You won't listen to any fast and cacophonic sort of music and there is no mournful vibe either. It's all about relaxing in this case, slowly floating and being in a state between awake and asleep. I think I have to thank the production for that. It was something I enjoyed quite a bit with this album. The sound of the guitars isn't harsh or noisy at all. They just flow in a drone-like manner creating a gentle atmosphere. Some shy lead guitars make their appearance every once in a while giving the songs an extra touch (for example in "Feed On Tears").

Sometimes the riffs get oddly uplifting like in "A Ghost Among People" which caught me off guard with its peacefulness. These moments together with hypnotic atmospheres created by the acoustic guitars (especially in "Bewildered") were the most interesting moments of the album.

You will probably ask: "The rating seems a bit low. What happened?"

Well, guys: If you read closely you will notice I only wrote about moments, not songs per se. The good moments don't last long, things get quickly repetitive and tedious which is something you don't want for your ambient album. The band just didn't use their ideas too well.

Also, through these last few years, Kold (the founder of Lost Inside, playing all instruments) has changed vocalists from time to time. All I can say is that he needs to get a new one again. They are not bad but just too average, quite uninspired and kind of kill the mood most of the time. It's a shame because they really don't help the music that already has some flaws.

My humble advice to Kold: get a new vocalist, polish the songwriting and try again. You have some ideas that work well and you might do something better in the future.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 20.07.2011 by A lazy reviewer but he is so cute you'd forgive him for it.

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 78 users
20.07.2011 - 07:39
Void Eater
Account deleted
Haven't listened to the album, but Seth Putnam would have called the album title gay. Well, gonna check it out, even though I', not a big fan of atmospheric black metal.
20.07.2011 - 08:48
Pyramid God

The album title is quite awful. It reads like a black/doom metal madlib and it doesn't make any sense.
20.07.2011 - 12:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 20.07.2011 at 07:39

Haven't listened to the album, but Seth Putnam would have called the album title gay. Well, gonna check it out, even though I', not a big fan of atmospheric black metal.

Heheh, I didn't really noticed how the title was weird. I would have made a joke about it but I've seen worse.
The album is pretty decent. The first two tracks are the best.Not mindblowing or crappy, just decent/good. If it weren't for the average vocals i would have give it a big of a higher rating (around 7,5-7,7)
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
21.07.2011 - 10:13
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Unfortunately it's an entirely forgetful album. It'd take more than better vocals to lift this one up.
21.07.2011 - 21:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcus on 21.07.2011 at 10:13

Unfortunately it's an entirely forgetful album. It'd take more than better vocals to lift this one up.

Heheheh, You're right man. I changed the review a bit both in text and numbers. I try to put a lot of effort in reviews, this one in particular was different. I guess there's this problem with average albums that aren't bad perse: that if you listen to them for a looong looooong time you get used to it, that's not the same as the album growing on you. You're just used to the way of how it sounds that in my case I didn't see that line of difference between liking and just getting used to.

Reviews are actually quite tricky!
----
Rod, let me love you.
21.07.2011 - 21:25
Slayer666

Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.07.2011 at 21:18

Not really. All you need to do is use big words to appear smart, read some reviews from MA, plagiarize from a few and mish-mash them together using big words so as not to show you've never actually listened to the album.
Works like crazy, lemme tell ya.
21.07.2011 - 21:38
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.07.2011 at 21:18

Heheheh, You're right man. I changed the review a bit both in text and numbers. I try to put a lot of effort in reviews, this one in particular was different. I guess there's this problem with average albums that aren't bad perse: that if you listen to them for a looong looooong time you get used to it, that's not the same as the album growing on you. You're just used to the way of how it sounds that in my case I didn't see that line of difference between liking and just getting used to.

Ahh yeah I know what you're talking about. I was just disappointed when I first read the review then listened to the album. Figured I'd end up enjoying it a bit more. But updated review is much more in line with how I feel about the album.
21.07.2011 - 21:43
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcus on 21.07.2011 at 21:38

Ahh yeah I know what you're talking about. I was just disappointed when I first read the review then listened to the album. Figured I'd end up enjoying it a bit more. But updated review is much more in line with how I feel about the album.

Yeah, sometimes it is after you get it published that you think "this is fucking meh, have to fix it". Because it didn't show at all what I've felt either. I didn't seem to understand that the things I praised where just moments in between songs XD.
----
Rod, let me love you.
04.12.2015 - 07:46
no one
Account deleted
Mr. Doctor reviewed this! weird

I enjoyed this album and don't mind the vocals
04.12.2015 - 10:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 04.12.2015 at 07:46

Mr. Doctor reviewed this! weird
I enjoyed this album and don't mind the vocals

I reviewed this? Woah. Totally forgot about this one. It was my second official review (which means without the "guest" tag)... Can't say I really like it. Wonder what I think of the album now.
It was also the very first time I got a cd for free just for review-purposes.
----
Rod, let me love you.
04.12.2015 - 10:54
no one
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 04.12.2015 at 10:20

I reviewed this? Woah. Totally forgot about this one. It was my second official review (which means without the "guest" tag)... Can't say I really like it. Wonder what I think of the album now.
It was also the very first time I got a cd for free just for review-purposes.

free cd!!!

I bet you find this album terrible now.

Hits total: 4049 | This month: 7