[Limited CD/DVD and vinyl edition bonus]
10. Dragon Attack [Queen cover]
11. Animal Magnetism [Scorpions cover]
12. Powerslave [Iron Maiden cover]
13. Throne Of Thorns [extended version]

[iTunes bonus]
14. A Day In The Death [feat. Chris Adler]

Additional info
The album is available in three configurations: CD, CD/DVD and vinyl with the latter two versions including four bonus tracks.

Recorded in the fall and winter of 2011 through 2012 at Driftwood Studios, Oakland, CA & Backstage Studios, Derby, UK.
Recorded and engineered by Andy Sneap.
Additional recordings by Juan Urteaga at Trident Studios, Martinez, CA.
Produced, mixed and mastered by Andy Sneap with Testament.

Cover art and booklet by Eliran Kantor.
Cover art concept by Eric Peterson.

Staff review by
D.T. Metal
Rating:
Unfortunately the era of Bonded By Blood, Pleasure To Kill, and Agent Orange is long gone, but luckily Testament took a stab at nostalgia with their newest album Dark Roots Of Earth. And while The Formation Of Damnation, their 2008 release after an almost 9 year hiatus, was definitely a step into the right direction, it was a bit too modern sounding, and I actually didn't care for Chuck Billy's vocals on it.

Read more ››
published 02.08.2012 | Comments (17)

Found in 54 lists
Top lists

Comments page 5 / 5

Comments: 144   Visited by: 1635 users
30.08.2012 - 18:15
KBJQ

Rating: 9
31.08.2012 - 07:10
bitethepain

First listen to I thought "decent, nothing new, but good." But I can't stop listening to it. The songs are catchy as hell, and the album keeps coming up when I need something to listen to. It's really grown on me. This will definitely be one of my favorites of the year. Would not have thought that at first. Funny, I am having the same experience with the new Kreator album as well. Thought it was descent but it just keeps showing up in my playlist and I'm having so much fun with these two albums.
31.08.2012 - 10:31
Rating: 8
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by bitethepain on 31.08.2012 at 07:10

First listen to I thought "decent, nothing new, but good." But I can't stop listening to it. The songs are catchy as hell, and the album keeps coming up when I need something to listen to. It's really grown on me. This will definitely be one of my favorites of the year. Would not have thought that at first. Funny, I am having the same experience with the new Kreator album as well. Thought it was descent but it just keeps showing up in my playlist and I'm having so much fun with these two albums.

It happens. When album grown on us, we tend to come up with "Maaan, this gonna be one of my favorite album of 2012" or "Woah, on my first spin, I thought it's pretty Meh to majority of that part, but now i'm fucking liking it" or whatever. You know it really happens because we always try to listen those stuff which are pretty catchy. btw, you just nearly missed by saying "this is one of the best album of 2012", if that would have been, surely Testament's haters wouldn't be liking it.
13.09.2012 - 00:51
DeathSlyzer

Check out my review for this one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WRjrdJoBQw
----
I sold my soul to any fool who'd buy it!
What's it gonna take to make you riot!?
13.09.2012 - 14:41
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Am I the only one who thinks that most of the songs repeat themselves in this album? I mean they're so similar to each other and overall the whole album is not really a special Thrash,just so average
10.10.2012 - 23:26
Vikcen
Metálico
For me another small disappointment for this year, together with the last of Fear Factory. Well, at least there are three or four good songs, although True American Hate is "acojonante" ! (great), the guitar solo is simply spectacular. But on the other hand songs like Dark Roots Of Earth kills the album.
04.11.2012 - 19:30
megadeath13
Account deleted
Sorry but i find this album really boring. it doesnt remind me of the good old "The Legacy" days, even rather like a letdown of the previous albums. I hate chucks voice here.
18.11.2012 - 00:15
Wiillak

Te band Is Very goood, by the only drawback of them, is The absence of a drummer 4 play, not just in seasson in time
29.12.2012 - 19:50
Rating: 10
bblitz

This album is awesome,good metal as this is hard to find.testament is amazing.I hope
there are no burzum or enslaved or borknagar people here,they dont have the right to talk about Testament.
04.02.2013 - 17:32
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
I like this album because it has some great songs as "Native Blood", "Throne of Thorns" and, especially, the title track. The other songs are not that good but still provide a nice listening experience.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
26.10.2013 - 08:49
Big-Al

Written by bblitz on 29.12.2012 at 19:50

This album is awesome,good metal as this is hard to find.testament is amazing.I hope
there are no burzum or enslaved or borknagar people here,they dont have the right to talk about Testament.

out of curiosity, what makes you say that?

(not a fan of any of those 3 myself)
----

I drink moosepiss
28.10.2013 - 11:25
Rating: 10
bblitz

Yes,you're right.Sorry didn't mean to offend no one but I used to catch so much trash talking
from black metallers about thrash and heavy metal,like OK now you're adult you stop listening
to Iron Maiden when you're 16.now it's time to go heavier,or black metal is way heavier and darker
and shit like that.Sorry once again it was obvoiusly just my frustration with some people.
28.10.2013 - 11:51
Rating: 6
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by bblitz on 29.12.2012 at 19:50

I hope there are no burzum or enslaved or borknagar people here,they dont have the right to talk about Testament.

You're begging to be verbally raped here. The fact that you like Testament and dislike black metal does not give you the right to look down on those who do like black metal.

EDIT: in case you wondered - Burzum sucks, Enslaved is brilliant.
29.10.2013 - 02:34
Lit.
Account deleted
But I would definitely take new Enslaved and even Borknagar over this. Totally average affair.
21.01.2014 - 16:58
Athropos
Burning inside
The more I listen to this album, the more I like it. Definitely a pretty good release for an old band these days.
26.05.2014 - 23:01
Dr.Overkill26

It's more Dynamic than the previous album... overall fantastic although the lyrics a a bit lame.
----
Do you need what I need? Boundaries overthrown Look inside to each his own
Do you trust what I trust? me myself and I Penetrate the smoke screen I see Through the selfish lie
25.08.2014 - 20:20
slaytanic_

07.01.2016 - 14:40
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
True American Hate is an amazing song... One of the best thrash metal songs ever imo... all the other i find decent but nothing spectacullar..
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
08.01.2016 - 05:33
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Deadmeat on 07.01.2016 at 14:40

True American Hate is an amazing song... One of the best thrash metal songs ever imo... all the other i find decent but nothing spectacullar..

I can't say it's one of the best thrash songs ever but it's still kicks 90% "great thrash songs" off the radar.

Yeah, DROE came to me a huge surprise as it surpassed my expectations and then kind of energy this record has - it's just amazing. I still spin the disc for sheer energy and killer riffs.
08.01.2016 - 12:17
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 08.01.2016 at 05:33

Written by Deadmeat on 07.01.2016 at 14:40

I can't say it's one of the best thrash songs ever but it's still kicks 90% "great thrash songs" off the radar.

Yeah, DROE came to me a huge surprise as it surpassed my expectations and then kind of energy this record has - it's just amazing. I still spin the disc for sheer energy and killer riffs.

it's a nice album, i barelly can stand bay area's thrash, but especially in the first 5-6 songs of the album the band has done a very good job..
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
27.04.2016 - 13:36
Ziom

Fantastic, the only thing standing between this and perfection are song lengts. They could have easily removed a 60-90 seconds from each to maintain dynamics.
04.11.2020 - 17:03
Rating: 6
Mountain King
K i K o
Same shit different track with the exception of "Cold Embrace". The Scorpions cover is great.
20.07.2021 - 12:38
Rating: 7
X-13

Written by Guest on 04.11.2012 at 19:30

Sorry but i find this album really boring.

It is ! The songwriting is really boring
29.07.2021 - 20:54
Vonpire

The scorpions cover is a killer! Great conver!!
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk

Hits total: 60373 | This month: 66