Metal Storm logo
80s Thrash Metal

Original post

Posted by Mega-Slayer, 27.09.2006 - 04:39
This thread is dedicated to the 80's Thrash metal scene,primarily underdog groups.This thread isn't meant to decide who the greatest thrash group was or is. Just to talk about bands you are interested in,what albums you consider to be classics, and so forth.A very unnapreciated group with one of THE greatest thrash albums ever released is Dark Angel,"Darkness Descends" was an instant favorite when I heard the opening riff for the first song.One other group I really enjoy is from the late 80's,went by the name of Evildead,they were among the few that had originality in their music at the time,they weren't just another Thrash group.I have only heard their debut "Annihilation Of Civilization",but "Underworld" is also a classic from what i've heard.Viking,Sacred Reich, Whiplash,and Exciter also kick ass.
15.10.2006 - 06:38
Evil Warrior
Account deleted
I have the Years of Decay, and Killbox 13 (eww). Their a good band but kinda slow. Doesn't get me wanting to mosh around like Scream Bloody Gore (gah dang son).
15.10.2006 - 07:41
Mega-Slayer
Rat Skates has awesome double-bass on "Hammerhead" and "Raise the Dead".
----

Intestinally Punctured Smurf
15.10.2006 - 12:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Mega-Slayer on 15.10.2006 at 07:41

Rat Skates is also associate producer of the Get Thrashed documentary. For anyone interested in 80s thrash (and newer thrash as well) go to www.getthrashed com
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.10.2006 - 20:43
Mega-Slayer
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.10.2006 at 12:49

Written by Mega-Slayer on 15.10.2006 at 07:41

Rat Skates is also associate producer of the Get Thrashed documentary. For anyone interested in 80s thrash (and newer thrash as well) go to www.getthrashed com

Thats neat info,so where can you get a copy of the documentary?Or is it even released,I couldn't seem to figure it out on the website.
----

15.10.2006 - 20:46
Mega-Slayer

By the way check out this flyer,damn that would be a excellent show,a night of pure evil
----

21.10.2006 - 15:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Well the review for Holy Terror - El Revengo is up. Album is a must for 80s thrash fans.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.10.2006 - 19:06
Tencho
Metallica was one of the bands but influential I think. (Master of puppets)
15.03.2007 - 19:52
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
The best Thrash bands in the 80's were definetley Metallica and Slayer, not only because they were the most popular and best sounding but because of their influence. For example Slayer's Reign in Blood greatly influenced the first Death and Black metal bands greatly, so it practicly created those styles, and although Metallica screwed us all with it's 90's and St.Crap albums, in the 80's they were Thrash gods and had lots of influence.
15.03.2007 - 20:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
hahaha try awsom,e Canadian thrash band Sacrifice werry good one I like it, so old school band
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.03.2007 - 00:38
Markku
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 15.03.2007 at 19:52

The best Thrash bands in the 80's were definetley Metallica and Slayer, not only because they were the most popular and best sounding but because of their influence. For example Slayer's Reign in Blood greatly influenced the first Death and Black metal bands greatly, so it practicly created those styles, and although Metallica screwed us all with it's 90's and St.Crap albums, in the 80's they were Thrash gods and had lots of influence.

Thanks for the lesson!
16.03.2007 - 05:09
blackmagic567
Account deleted
lets not forget sodom and kreator. they, in my opinion, were second only to Slayer.
16.03.2007 - 18:18
HauntingNazareth
Account deleted
80's Thrash metal is about the only good thrash metal.. Aside from a few bands that are just okay.
17.03.2007 - 12:09
L.O.V.E. Machine
Account deleted
Slayer,Metallica,Kreator,Destruction,Sodom,Megadeth

These are the bands that were gods of thrash in 80's and I think still are.
18.03.2007 - 05:57
Thrash666
Dude u cant beat old school 80s thrash. I know everyone knows the four horsemen and all the well known thrash bands but there r some that r awesome that arent as big as such as Metallica or Megadeth or Slayer. Sodom, Vio-Lence, Destruction, Evildead, Tankard, Overkill, Dark Angel, Death Angel, Torture, Nuclear Assault kicks fuckin ass!!!!!, Sadus, just 2 name a few. But i think that TESTAMENT should be up there with Metallica and Slayer for being one of the best thrash metal bands ever. And if u want to hear some fuckin sic thrash like Mega- Slayer siad try to find Evildead's Annihilation of Civilization it is really good and is definatley one of my favorite albums
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
18.03.2007 - 07:42
Mega-Slayer
^^^ Yeah I know dude I made this thread mainly for those underatted bands you mentioned,just look at the first page,you'll find plenty of bands.
----

20.03.2007 - 01:03
FTW
Account deleted
Metallica,Megadeth,Slayer,Exodus,Testament
THE BIG 5 OF THRASH during the 80's bar none
21.03.2007 - 20:13
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Guest on 20.03.2007 at 01:03

Metallica,Megadeth,Slayer,Exodus,Testament
THE BIG 5 OF THRASH during the 80's bar none

Ahem. Anthrax.

Anthrax was certainly bigger than either Exodus or Testament at the time. I recall Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth and Metallica were always referred to as "the Big Four of Thrash", both in music rags as well as the guitar rags which ran Alex Skolnick columns.

Certainly Exodus and Testament (and many others) were influential and important players within the genre, but were not quite held in the same light as the aforementioned Big Four.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.03.2007 - 20:30
FTW
Account deleted
I really dont know why Exodus especially wasn't considered in the big 4 of thrash in the 80's. They are IMO one of the purest forms of thrash metal out of anyone, Testament was and continues to be very underratted even to this day.

Anthrax never did anything for me. I've tried to get into them but I still can't.
23.03.2007 - 02:05
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Exodus didn't have the same draw the others in the Big Four did. Period. Your opinion is your opinion, but ultimately it doesn't alter what was happening in the scene around the time you were born.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
23.03.2007 - 02:59
Mega-Slayer
Here are some more recommendations for some agressive thrash or death/thrash that I have been listening to for awhile now:
Agressor(fance)
Thanatos(Holland)
Demolition Hammer
Solstice
Ressurection
Master
Devastation

A few are borderline on death metal,but have alot of thrashy riffs,really should get Devastation's "Idolatry",a true gem.
----

24.03.2007 - 19:55
FoxZdemoN
It's all about the Toronto based band Sacrifice! If you havent heard Soldiers of Misfortune or Reanimation...check it out now!!!!
----

You can listen to my show "Diabolus Templum" on Thursdays 4pm till 7pm EST. on~
http://www.brutalexistenceradio.com/
24.03.2007 - 21:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by FoxZdemoN on 24.03.2007 at 19:55

It's all about the Toronto based band Sacrifice! If you havent heard Soldiers of Misfortune or Reanimation...check it out now!!!!

I would say check out Forward To Termination and Troment In Fire those two are minor classics.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.03.2007 - 18:32
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i'm starting to fall in love with old school thrash. i especially like either 3-riff metal anthems like "hit the lights" by metallica, or the 50-riffs-in-a-song "the day at guyana" by agent steel, and i'm starting to like "darkness descends" by dark angel, wow that's far brutaller(but in some points not nearly as fast) than reign in blood

what would you reccomend me for complex old school speed/thrash?(more "speed", in the vein of "whiplash" or the "no life til leather"-time mechanix)

on a side note, this is probably my second or so post in the extreme metal forum
28.03.2007 - 18:42
Mega-Slayer
Written by Valentin B on 28.03.2007 at 18:32

i'm starting to fall in love with old school thrash. i especially like either 3-riff metal anthems like "hit the lights" by metallica, or the 50-riffs-in-a-song "the day at guyana" by agent steel, and i'm starting to like "darkness descends" by dark angel, wow that's far brutaller(but in some points not nearly as fast) than reign in blood

what would you reccomend me for complex old school speed/thrash?(more "speed", in the vein of "whiplash" or the "no life til leather"-time mechanix)

on a side note, this is probably my second or so post in the extreme metal forum

Are you looking for like technical/speed thrash?What comes to mind is Holy Terror,Realm,Toxik,Hexenhaus or maybe even Sabbat.
----

28.03.2007 - 18:49
Valentin B
Iconoclast
well, technical, not quite, but i'm torn between two extremes:
-simple 2 riff catchy as fuck songs(hit the lights, whiplash, caught in a mosh, black magic, angel of death)
-complex songs, 40 riffs in one song(not necesarily technical: the day at guyana, mechanix, one, call of ktulu, and if i could mention iced earth, i would but they're not from the 80s)
30.03.2007 - 12:32
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 28.03.2007 at 18:49

-complex songs, 40 riffs in one song(not necesarily technical: the day at guyana, mechanix, one, call of ktulu, and if i could mention iced earth, i would but they're not from the 80s)

Then you shoudl especially check out Time Does Not Heal by Dark Angel. That one is chock full of riff, I remember gene Hogland describing the album as containing over 300 riffs.

Here is what it says in Wikipedia:

Time Does Not Heal is the fourth and final album by Dark Angel, which was released in 1991. When released it had a sticker reading "9 songs, 67 minutes, 246 riffs!". This album is probably Dark Angel's most progressive offering by the length and compexity of the songs. Because of it's taking thrash to new heights in musical complexity and technicality, it is considered a classic album and one of the last classic thrash albums.

I have that sticker on the album.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.03.2007 - 14:04
Valentin B
Iconoclast
lol 246 riffs... that's a whole lot :O
one question though: is it brutal?
30.03.2007 - 14:43
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 30.03.2007 at 14:04

Yes, it is typical Dark Angel
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.03.2007 - 17:18
SilentScream
Blasphemer
Written by Valentin B on 30.03.2007 at 14:04

Actually, no it isn't. 246 sounds cool and all, but it doesn't translate into anything THAT special. If you think they are going to start doing some fast riffs like on Darkness Descends you might be a bit upset with the outcome. Not to mention some rather sub-par singing.
Stick to Leave Scars and Darkness Descends, IMO.

I saw some people where mentionning canadian thrash bands. Other then Sacrifice (who rock, by the way), there are some great ones out there :
Infernal Majesty
Anvil
Razor
Aggression
Annihilator (the first 2 albums are classics!)
31.03.2007 - 09:12
X-pert74
Account deleted
I love Thrash Metal; especially the more aggressive bands like early Kreator and Possessed. Some '80s albums I like:

Kreator: Pleasure To Kill
Possessed: Seven Churches
Slayer: Reign In Blood
Destruction: Infernal Overkill
Morbid Saint: Spectrum Of Death
Metallica: Kill 'Em All
Vio-lence: Eternal Nightmare
Venom: Black Metal
Flames Of Hell: Fire And Steel
Sepultura: Morbid Visions
Bathory: Bathory
Dark Angel: Darkness Descends
Pestilence: Malleus Maleficarum

Some of the albums in the above list are arguably not pure Thrash Metal, but I think they all have enough of a Thrash Metal sound to warrant listing here. Anyways, I enjoy all the albums above, and at least a few of them I consider to be classics. There are a lot of bands I've been meaning to check out, like Sabbat (UK), Sacrifice, and Holy Terror, but their CDs are hard as hell to find.