03. Hot Rockin'
04. Turning Circles
05. Desert Plains
06. Solar Angels
07. You Say Yes
08. All The Way
09. Troubleshooter
10. On The Run
11. Thunder Road [Recorded during the 1988 Ram It Down sessions] [2001 re-release bonus]
12. Desert Plains [Live at Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis, Missouri, USA in 23 May 1986] [2001 re-release bonus]

In 1980, Judas Priest released the commercial success of British Steel, an album unlike anything they had done before. Would 1981's Point of Entry emulate this sound? No. However, this isn't necessarily a bad thing. The album is more like their previous works, and while not being an amazing album or groundbreaking by any means, fans of the older Judas Priest sound should appreciate it.

The album starts out with an excellent track; "Heading Out to the Highway." The medium tempo chugging riffs, crisp guitar sound (as opposed to the heavier sound of British Steel) and vocals from Halford are more like the band's late 70's material. The track moves along nicely, and were the whole album as consistent, this might have just become more of an essential part of the Priest catalogue. However, disappointingly, the album has some filler on it that doesn't keep this quality level up. "Don't Go" is not a very memorable track, and is an indication of the type of lukewarm songs this album has throughout. "Hot Rockin'" gives the listener another burst of prime Judas Priest excitement, and is probably the other standout track on the album. The rest is more of what you would expect, and it's not a bad formula, but there are few really exciting or interesting songs. There aren't any moments on this album that will blow you away, and there weren't any songs in the latter half that became bona fide classics, but there are still things to appreciate about this album. It's by no means terrible, and as a whole, for me, was a better listening experience than its predecessor, British Steel.

All in all, is Point of Entry a must-have or classic Judas Priest album? Probably not. It isn't as well performed or written as albums like Stained Class, and doesn't have the production and great songs of Screaming for Vengeance, the album that followed after. That being said, it isn't a bad album, and any fan of Judas Priest should find songs they like, as well as have a pretty good time with the album. Just don't expect a timeless classic like Screaming for Vengeance.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 7

Written by Mattybu | 21.07.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 117 users
21.07.2011 - 01:20
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Good review. You gave the readers a good idea about what this album's really like.
21.07.2011 - 05:15
Mattybu

Thanks. It's a pretty good album, but not amazing. I found the timing it was released kind of weird, because it's not very similar to either of the albums it's sandwiched between.
23.07.2011 - 15:50
Rating: 7
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Desert Plains is a great song.
And I hope that "the engine roars between my thighs" means a motorbike.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
11.09.2011 - 22:32
Judas The Priest

If you look too closely at the album artwork its a bigass line of printing paper.... trippy =o
14.09.2011 - 06:15
Rating: 7
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I largely agree with the review, and the score given to it... (I think I'd have given it 7.6 though...) it's far from being a bad album, but it's definitely one of Priest's weakest albums. "Heading Out To The Highway", "Hot Rockin'" and "Desert Plains" are absolute classics though, and showed that even on a lesser Priest album, there are still some amazing gems to be found.

I'm also very partial to "You Say Yes", and feel it is a great song! I know most wouldn't agree with me about that, but I just find it a very fun song that always gets me moving. And "Solar Angels" is very good song too, IMO. Overall, it is a weak album by Priest's very high standards, but there's still just enough great songs on it to make it a worthwhile addition to their discography. xD

Also, how the bonus track "Thunder Road" (that was written for "Ram It Down") didn't end up on that album is astounding to me! :\ It's an awesome song, which could have became a Priest classic had it been on the album...
15.09.2011 - 01:48
Mattybu

Written by Angelic Storm on 14.09.2011 at 06:15

I'm also very partial to "You Say Yes", and feel it is a great song! I know most wouldn't agree with me about that, but I just find it a very fun song that always gets me moving. And "Solar Angels" is very good song too, IMO. Overall, it is a weak album by Priest's very high standards, but there's still just enough great songs on it to make it a worthwhile addition to their discography. xD

Yeah, there's songs here and there that are likable, but it all kinda fell flat for me. I know what you mean though, sometimes it just comes down to people's tastes. I'd say that if you really like Judas Priest, pick this one up and you'll enjoy it, but if you want the "wow" factor, the part that blows you away, go for Painkiller or Sin After Sin, or Screaming for Vengeance.
19.02.2019 - 06:07
pureevil69

Being a huge fan of Priest born in 69 I have a special place in my heart for all their albums before Turbo. This includes Point of Entry, and may thus cause me to overlook some of its shortcomings.
First off I'd just like to say that I think the production on this record is absolutely phenomenal. When listened to through a killer sound system cranked up to 11 it feels like the band is playing right in front of you.
Second, Rob Halford is absolutely on fire here. The energy and charisma he displays is utterly unique to this collection. He is an ultra confident, hard rocking life of the party, who isn't afraid to add some more personal, autobiographical touches to the lyrics. I love the Rob of 1981, and Rob does too. And that voice!... Holy shit!
Lastly, while some of the songs are a tad lazily thought out, with basic verse/chorus structure, and some uninspired riffing, I think Priest needed to make a more straight ahead hard rock record at this point in their career, for a number of reasons. For one, to prove to the AC/DC's and Aerosmiths of the world that they could play that type of music, as good if not better than them, with one hand tied behind their backs. No offense intended to those bands, they're great. Plus, Priest needed a break. They had been working their asses off for 6 + years non-stop and basically invented heavy metal in the process. A record full of no frills headbanging tunes let the band relax and have a little fun.
I leave you with this thought: Judas Priest in the decade between 1975 and 1985 were the most exciting band on the planet. No way am I gonna ignore any of their output from this period. I'll take Halford, Tipton, and Downing in 81 even on their worst day.

Hits total: 7925 | This month: 7