04. The Essence Of Green Purity
05. Sewer Monkeys
06. Bestial Creed
07. The Preacher's Daughter
08. Divine Inspiration
09. The Myconid's Lounge
10. Rez Master Zero
11. I'm A Punk

Potential, that's the theme of today, folks. In some kinda sciencey talk, potential is when something has the capability to do something cool, but doesn't for whatever reason, or some shit like that. Same sort of thing applies to music - you can hear some cool ideas firing around, however, due to different circumstances, it really fails to connect on any knock-out level.

Or some shit like that.

The skeleton of The Myconid's music is actually pretty damn unique - sort of a punk rock Stolen Babies mixed with a few industrial touches here and there that border on trance occasionally. It's all pretty fine and dandy; catchy riffs, funky basslines, and synths used in a gracefully tasteless manner to make the whole thing a little more quirky. Aside from a couple sets of completely asinine lyrics (which I presume are intentionally so), there really isn't a poorly written song on the album. In fact, this album would actually be extremely fucking cool if it wasn't for one massive, leering problem...

This production. 90% of the blame falls on the drummer, mostly for being a machine, so fuck him. Sure, the drum machine really helps give it more of that "electro" feel, but most of the time it just makes the overall sound come up a little flat. This factor really isn't helped when the bass really lacks any depth. I mean, the basslines are great, but it just sounds "twangy", and once again, kind of flat. I guess you could say the whole bottom end is sort of lacking.

If you can put yourself past the incredibly deflated production on the album, Myconid Madness is actually an obnoxiously rewarding listen. However, a good chunk of the time it's just too apparent. Something to watch out for then, maybe, once the self-production isn't so pronounced.

Written on 21.07.2011 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 16   Visited by: 216 users
21.07.2011 - 15:40
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Sounds interesting actually. need to hear them out
----
loves 小巫
21.07.2011 - 15:55
malaikat

Yeah man, f*ck those smug drum machine assh*les.
22.07.2011 - 07:28
AngelCorpse13

That sounds pretty cool, hope it's not too flat soundin....
23.07.2011 - 06:03
0mn1v0r3

70? yeah right. This deserves a 90. Its got BM, Thrash and electronic influences and it may be too unkvlt for you kids on tis site trying to save face but this album is like a Celtic Frost/Acid witch hybrid like no other. I'm in love
25.07.2011 - 16:58
Rating: 7
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by 0mn1v0r3 on 23.07.2011 at 06:03

it may be too unkvlt for you kids on tis site trying to save face

----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.07.2011 - 21:40
EMPIRE of WOE

Everybody is of course entitled to their own opinion, but I am totally digging this. Of course I'm one of those "smug drum machine assh*les" not so smug actually. there's way better than me... seriously though, I think this RAWKS.
----
I am doom - your lost soul
26.07.2011 - 22:35
bassplayer

This is a very poorly written review. Whether you like the music or not is inconsequential but it seems that you really have it out for whoever produced this album. I checked out his band and the production is neither flat or "lacking depth." Is your subwoofer broken? You may not like the production, but it isn't nearly as bad as you say it is. A review is supposed to be objective. There is also one glaring omission, in your quest to bash the production you really didn't speak about the music all the much. In fact, less than half the review actually addressed the songs. It's ok to not like something, but perhaps you should try to be more objective next time.
26.07.2011 - 23:10
Rating: 7
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by bassplayer on 26.07.2011 at 22:35

This is a very poorly written review. Whether you like the music or not is inconsequential but it seems that you really have it out for whoever produced this album. I checked out his band and the production is neither flat or "lacking depth." Is your subwoofer broken? You may not like the production, but it isn't nearly as bad as you say it is. A review is supposed to be objective. There is also one glaring omission, in your quest to bash the production you really didn't speak about the music all the much. In fact, less than half the review actually addressed the songs. It's ok to not like something, but perhaps you should try to be more objective next time.

Thanks for coming out.

I have it out for whoever produced this album? Uh, yeah maybe that's possible. Or perhaps it's also possible that I found the production flat & extremely condensed, like I stated. Who knows what other clandestine messages may just be lurking in any of my reviews?

In my reviews I prefer to talk about the overall sound, not specific songs. I enjoyed the the songs but listening to the album, I couldn't stop thinking about how much I personally hate the producer don't like the production, so it was quite an area of focus in my mind, thus in the review. For me it was the only thing that separated this from being a top-notch album, so naturally it was an area of focus. Calm down, 7 isn't a bad rating at all.

Next time I'll be sure to write a purely objective review, 100% devoid of opinion, and give it a 10/10, just for you.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.07.2011 - 23:21
Fat & Sassy!

Y U SO DUM DOC? D:
26.07.2011 - 23:36
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by bassplayer on 26.07.2011 at 22:35

This is a very poorly written rebuttal coming from, I assume, a member of the band.
If you can't understand that your work may not be seen as genius by people other than yourself, you need to seriously rethink your career choice.
27.07.2011 - 07:27
0mn1v0r3

Written by Doc G. on 25.07.2011 at 16:58

Written by 0mn1v0r3 on 23.07.2011 at 06:03

it may be too unkvlt for you kids on tis site trying to save face

Not sure if your trolling or just have shitty taste in music
27.07.2011 - 09:33
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by 0mn1v0r3 on 27.07.2011 at 07:27

Not sure if your trolling or just have shitty taste in music

You can't expect that a reviewer will like what you like. Coming here and whining because your favourite band got a lower mark than you want is simply pathetic. Not to mention puerile. Grow up.
Besides, 7 is a positive mark, so I have no idea why you are so worked up about this review.
27.07.2011 - 22:36
0mn1v0r3

He's taking this shit way too seriously^

Its a website to talk about metal, stop trying to be professional like your comment matters. I wasn't complaining, I was disagreeing.
28.07.2011 - 10:21
Fat & Sassy!

Written by 0mn1v0r3 on 27.07.2011 at 22:36

He's taking this shit way too seriously my comment and giving it a proper response that I should have expected by throwing around stupid insults like an immature 14-year-old.^

Its a website to talk about metal, stop trying to be professional like your comment matters a sensible person. I wasn't complaining, I was disagreeing being an ass.
03.08.2011 - 01:34
0mn1v0r3

LOL^
05.08.2011 - 06:13
neros1x

Finally found it here: http://fungientertainment.com/releases/17-the-myconid-myconid-madness

Actually sounds pretty cool, but I think he's right about the bass. Maybe that's what they are going for.

Hits total: 4925 | This month: 7