02. Nocturnal Conspiracy
03. Insomnia
04. The Mind's Eye
05. Portals
06. Shapeshifter
07. Deathless
08. Visions

Additional info
The album will first be available at ProgPower USA in Atlanta, Georgia on September, 16, where the band will play their first ever North American show.

Guest review by
K✞ulu
Rating:
Visions, the sophomore effort by the up-and-coming UK proggers Haken is a bitter-sweet deal. After the break-through debut, Visions had a lot to live up to, and to a certain extent this new album can be considered a success due to some positive developments in songwriting and retention of the elements that made Aquarius so great, like the palpable heaviness, signature wacky, "avantgarde" passages, and very impressive musicianship. Nevertheless, not everything shines out on Visions, but let us start this analysis from the end, the title track.

Read more ››
published 28.02.2012 | Comments (12)

They're back, and with only a year since their spectacular debut, Visions oozes with enthusiasm. There is not enough space here to describe all the greatness offered in this effort, but trust me it's good. It'll keep you on your toes with surprises and the unexpected forays into different musical hemispheres. The tempo and mood changes flow seamlessly between emotive ballads and instrumental breaks. These moments of showmanship actually *cough* have a purpose in developing the song *cough*. The journey ends with an eccentric 22 min+ epic of dauntless proportions that will leave you craving repeat listens. So make a dramatic turn and pick this one up instead...

Introspekrieg's picks | More picks ››
Thumbs up: Ivor, Nefarious, BloodTears, Ag Fox, Daniell
Bandcamp music player

Found in 30 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 46   Visited by: 745 users
21.07.2011 - 19:16
Rating: 8
neonxaos

Already? I love Aquarius, so I'm looking forward to this one. I hope that Ross Jennings has been working out those vocal chords since last time.
21.07.2011 - 22:15
strade

Well, that was quick.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
24.07.2011 - 21:56
MechanisT
Account deleted
Whoa...another one to look forward to. Nice.
05.08.2011 - 21:45
DrM
DreaMutilated
First Opeth, now Haken as well: In a recent interview Hen mentioned there'd be no growling on this album.

Quote: "I don't think it's a conscious effort to get rid of the growling. More that that the sections in the new songs didn't need growling. We haven't actually got any growling on the album, but that's not because we made that conscious effort. We didn't feel the need for it, whereas with Aquarius some of the themes were a little bit darker in certain areas of the album, so?"

Excellent! That's the only bit I disliked on their last effort.
16.09.2011 - 19:29
Rating: 8
neonxaos

Whaat, already? Gotta check this out!
22.09.2011 - 23:32
Rating: 9
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Holy hell... superb album. Dream-who?
23.09.2011 - 15:37
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Introspekrieg on 22.09.2011 at 23:32

Holy hell... superb album. Dream-who?

You gave it a perfect 10? Wow, that's something. I guess I should check this out
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
27.09.2011 - 05:32
Rating: 7
Hollberr

I've never seen a worse metal singer than this Ross Jennings. He really has an DEEPLY annoying voice.

And again, they decided to take the same theme and put it in almost every songs. It becomes boring. And they always want to modulate into another key, always with the same pattern.
I'm not impressed. I was with Aquarius, though.
Still, the musicians are good and the production is perfect!
27.09.2011 - 09:57
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Yeah, this album is flawless...

Something has been happening with progressive metal in the past ten years...it has been getting stale and bands have been disappearing...albums by prominent bands have been few and far between...Vanden Plas, Symphony X, Dream Theater, Threshold...have dried up...

Haken is a VERY IMPORTANT BAND...they have breathed new life into progressive metal in the past two years...they are very influential and I have VERY HIGH HOPES for them and I think that Haken are going to influence a new damn in progressive metal...they are one of those 'right bands at the right time' sorta things...ALL HAIL HAKEN!
28.09.2011 - 05:42
Edmund Fogg

Written by Guest on 27.09.2011 at 09:57

Yeah, this album is flawless...

Something has been happening with progressive metal in the past ten years...it has been getting stale and bands have been disappearing...albums by prominent bands have been few and far between...Vanden Plas, Symphony X, Dream Theater, Threshold...have dried up...

Haken is a VERY IMPORTANT BAND...they have breathed new life into progressive metal in the past two years...they are very influential and I have VERY HIGH HOPES for them and I think that Haken are going to influence a new damn in progressive metal...they are one of those 'right bands at the right time' sorta things...ALL HAIL HAKEN!

I'll second that, I was really loosing hope with prog when I ran into Haken with the random band band button. It's really great when you feel something big is about to happen with a band and you're right at the beginning of it. I sure hope they get the visibility they deserve. I bough Aquarius at my local disc store but they haven't heard of Visions yet. Anybody can reccomand some good online music store (Exept Amazon friends had bad experience with scratched cds)
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
28.09.2011 - 11:21
DrM
DreaMutilated
Written by Edmund Fogg on 28.09.2011 at 05:42

I'll second that, I was really loosing hope with prog when I ran into Haken with the random band band button. It's really great when you feel something big is about to happen with a band and you're right at the beginning of it. I sure hope they get the visibility they deserve. I bough Aquarius at my local disc store but they haven't heard of Visions yet. Anybody can reccomand some good online music store (Exept Amazon friends had bad experience with scratched cds)

You should also check out CDUniverse and lasercd. The latter specializes in prog music, and although sometimes a bit more pricey their service is implacable and the variety like none I have ever seen.
28.09.2011 - 16:32
Edmund Fogg

Written by DrM on 28.09.2011 at 11:21

You should also check out CDUniverse and lasercd. The latter specializes in prog music, and although sometimes a bit more pricey their service is implacable and the variety like none I have ever seen.

Thanks for the heads up. It seems like somethingh is wrong with the release date. On their website it's annouced to be released only by the end of october.

Edit: Release has been fixed I envy the ones that got their promo copy....Lucky bastards
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
30.09.2011 - 20:12
MechanisT
Account deleted
Mind. Blown. Very possibly prog album of the year, alongside Wolverine's newest.
01.10.2011 - 22:05
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Excellent indeed. There is something special about the vocals and instrumentalization of the album. Definitely a contender for best of the year. Great year for prog!
----

My Instagram
05.10.2011 - 10:06
The Benighted

I feel like they're getting a bit more comfortable with their genre on this one, and aren't trying to pack in all these juxtaposing ideas every possible second. It feels more fluid this time around, and in general it's just way more consistent. While some of the other prog releases this year have certainly let me down (Dream Theater for starters) this is definitely one of the best.
----
Learn to adapt to the change, or get washed away like tears in the rain.
06.10.2011 - 18:46
Rating: 7
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Just as good as Aquarius. Not better. Still a terrific addition to anyones Prog Metal collection.
----
rekt
06.10.2011 - 19:24
Evil Chip

I haven't heard it but I want to. I just haven't found it on the net.
18.10.2011 - 12:00
MaxBoost

Great album in a new wave of progressive albums. If you like this, try "Bilateral" by Leprous. I can hear many similarities, although Leprous is more adventurous and exciting to me, since Haken is closer to traditional ProgMetal. Nonetheless Haken is one of the best bands in the genre I've heard for a while. To me, this new wave of prog is matched only by that other new 'wave' I discovered earlier this (fantastic) year: the Brisbane sound by bands alternative proglike bands such as Karnivool, Dead Letter Circus and The Butterfly Effect.
19.10.2011 - 01:29
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by MaxBoost on 18.10.2011 at 12:00

Great album in a new wave of progressive albums. If you like this, try "Bilateral" by Leprous. I can hear many similarities, although Leprous is more adventurous and exciting to me, since Haken is closer to traditional ProgMetal. Nonetheless Haken is one of the best bands in the genre I've heard for a while. To me, this new wave of prog is matched only by that other new 'wave' I discovered earlier this (fantastic) year: the Brisbane sound by bands alternative proglike bands such as Karnivool, Dead Letter Circus and The Butterfly Effect.

It's funny that you mention it, Bilateral was my #1 of this year until this album. I would say Leprous have more diverse songs with a better singer, but in the songwriting department I think Haken take the cake...n? Then again, the are both amazing albums that don't need to be compared.
21.10.2011 - 22:39
Gelati

This is an outstanding album and an absolute must for any prog listener. "Nocturnal Conspiracy" and "Visions" are landmark pieces and are, arguably, some of the best prog epics in recent memory. While there are transitions within the songs that seem abrupt, the album as a whole has great pacing and flows together well. The production and mixing is outstanding. The performance is excellent. What really sets this album apart is the song writing. While Haken does recycle many of their trademark chord voicings and progressions they seem to effortlessly blend it into every tune to create a fresh-sounding finished product that will make your ears perk up, head rock in all sorts of time signatures, and put a smile on your face. The level of maturation from "Aquarius," which was a phenomenal album itself, to "Visions" is something to be optimistic of. Haken is the future of the genre ladies and gentlemen.
27.10.2011 - 09:07
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Not enjoying this one as much as the previous album, might take a break from it.
28.10.2011 - 03:07
Rating: 10
Mechaniacal

First Aquarius and now Visions. Haken are shitting all over Dream Theater's last six albums like they're nothing. What a dramatic turn of events.
28.10.2011 - 14:26
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Mechaniacal on 28.10.2011 at 03:07

First Aquarius and now Visions. Haken are shitting all over Dream Theater's last six albums like they're nothing. What a dramatic turn of events.

Dream Theater's last 6 albums? It seems like you're being a little bit overenthusiastic with that statement.
----

My Instagram
28.10.2011 - 14:37
Rating: 6
Daniell
_爱情_
Not to mention that they have much to learn before they can reach DT levels. I like Haken, but apparently they're quite fresh and inexperienced. Just one example: the growling on Aquarius. It begs a question: what the fuck were they thinking? Totally not matching anything on the album, pointless and simply terrible.

Dream Theater, even on a bad day, still beat Haken hands down.
28.10.2011 - 15:03
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Daniell on 28.10.2011 at 14:37

Really? This album is easily better than the latest DT for me.
28.10.2011 - 16:16
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by R'Vannith on 28.10.2011 at 15:03

Written by Daniell on 28.10.2011 at 14:37

Really? This album is easily better than the latest DT for me.

Yes, it is, but it's not my point. DT don't make silly mistakes when they compose songs. Regardless of how good/bad the songs are, they don't strike me as immature. Which is the case with Haken's ridiculous growls.
28.10.2011 - 16:23
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Daniell on 28.10.2011 at 16:16

Yes, it is, but it's not my point. DT don't make silly mistakes when they compose songs. Regardless of how good/bad the songs are, they don't strike me as immature. Which is the case with Haken's ridiculous growls.

Oh I see, well DT has been at it for a while.
28.10.2011 - 16:34
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by R'Vannith on 28.10.2011 at 16:23

Written by Daniell on 28.10.2011 at 16:16

Oh I see, well DT has been at it for a while.

A bit more nitpicking from me. I really like Haken and I think they have a lot of potential, but they need to make one fundamental change - the vocalist. The guy just doesn't cut it, and most of the time he is annoying as hell.
28.10.2011 - 16:43
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Daniell on 28.10.2011 at 16:34

A bit more nitpicking from me. I really like Haken and I think they have a lot of potential, but they need to make one fundamental change - the vocalist. The guy just doesn't cut it, and most of the time he is annoying as hell.

I have to say I enjoyed the vocals on Aquarius, but this one.. I'm not so sure, they seem kind of off for me. He's good, not the best of course. I wouldn't go so far as to say he's annoying though.
29.10.2011 - 02:14
Rating: 10
Mechaniacal

Written by BloodTears on 28.10.2011 at 14:26

Written by Mechaniacal on 28.10.2011 at 03:07

Dream Theater's last 6 albums? It seems like you're being a little bit overenthusiastic with that statement.

Images & Words - 1992
Awake - 1994
Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory 1999

And...that's about it. Last 6, beginning with Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.

Hits total: 18768 | This month: 28