Metal Storm logo
Oslo gets bombed

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 22.07.2011 - 18:53
(Dagbladet): The terrorist campaign against the government quarter in downtown Oslo this afternoon was probably done by "a large car bomb," says manager Ståle Ulriksen at the Norwegian Institute of International Affairs told Dagbladet. An unknown number of people are injured and killed in the massive explosion.

Police efforts manager at the site confirms that it revolves around a bomb. Further details about this are not yet confirmed.

Experts told Dagbladet that the hallmark of the war zone-like scene, which badly damaged high up on buildings, testify that it was probably detonated in a car.

- I think it looks like a car bomb. It looks like things I have seen elsewhere. The damage on the facade bears witness to a horrible high
pressure, and in terms of how this happened, I have no reason to believe other than that it was a car filled with explosives, said Ulriksen.

"There may be other things too, but probably a car bomb, not unlike it in Times Square that was averted," says an expert in the military to Dagbladet.

- Pressure wave is enormous. And in a place that the government quarter, with tall buildings on the sides, you get a tremendous impact - far greater than if it occurs in an open landscape, says the source in the military.

- Photos from the site shows a wreck that lies on its side, but it could not have been the car that eventually had a bomb. It will be completely torn, he adds.

Car bomb theory is also supported by a ministry employee, who stayed in the hardest-hit the building when the explosion took place, saying it probably is aseg a car bomb on the ground in Grubbegaten.

Police at the site told Dagbladet that the action seems to have been directed at oil and energy ministry.

Ståle Ulriksen says a car bomb can be built on a variety of ways, such as diesel and fertilizer as the terrorist attack in Oklahoma in 1995. A car bomb will correct "major shockwaves up," he says.

Among other things, that the facade of the tower block, which houses the Prime Minister's Office, is severely injured up the floor supports the theory that there may be a car bomb, said Ulriksen.

Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg was not in the government building when the bomb went off. He is now in safety.

The buildings in a large radius around was severely injured in the explosion. It is observed broken windows as far as a mile away, after the violent explosion that could be heard far outside the city center.

More people are confirmed dead and injured. The situation is still very chaotic in the areas around terroråstedet. Dagbladet reporter Anne Marte Blindheim is built on explosion site in 17.20 o'clock.

- It's like a war zone. It does not look like something you see in Norway. The entire high-rise building and all windows are completely destroyed the entire entrance is broken. It hangs debris out of the windows. On the ground is full of trash and debris. There is blood and papers around and smashed cars. A car lies on its side, completely burned out, she says.

The case is updated.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=no&tl=en&twu=1&u=http://www.dagbladet.no/2011/07/22/nyheter/innenriks/eksplosjon/17414417/&usg=ALkJrhi2hG8t10x9hnl8ou5ASWvmPlXLVQ
31.07.2011 - 14:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Uldreth on 31.07.2011 at 13:39

To satisfy your personal desire for vengeance? Will that bring the slaughtered people back? No. Will it serve any purpose other than lowering the people who carry out the verdict to his level? No.

I personally don't see the way I wrote above as having to do anything with "vengeance", I just fail to understand why he needs a tv, electronics, the opportunity to work and such a fancy room, a waste of money.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
31.07.2011 - 15:53
Uldreth
Vengeance as in the apparent desire to put him under conditions just minimally required for life because of the severity of the deeds he has committed.

Some people would call that 'justice'. I would call it vengeance because in my views the point of punishment is to prevent the person in question from doing anything wrong again, and not to make him suffer because he made others suffer. Making someone suffer because he made others (or you) suffer is vengeance.

Monetary considerations are irrelevant when talking about ethics, which I am doing now.
31.07.2011 - 17:13
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Uldreth on 31.07.2011 at 15:53

punishment is to prevent the person in question from doing anything wrong again.

I would call that "rehabiliation", not punishment. We seem to have different thoughts about the subject which is fine with me since I won't expect everyone to agree with me.
It's still amusing how so many people around here in Sweden agrees with the fact that the jails here are way to similar to an hotel yet nothing happens.
----
Rod, let me love you.
07.08.2011 - 18:23
The Turbanator
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
07.08.2011 - 22:16
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff

Vengeance as in the apparent desire to put him under conditions just minimally required for life because of the severity of the deeds he has committed.

Some people would call that 'justice'. I would call it vengeance because in my views the point of punishment is to prevent the person in question from doing anything wrong again, and not to make him suffer because he made others suffer. Making someone suffer because he made others (or you) suffer is vengeance.

Monetary considerations are irrelevant when talking about ethics, which I am doing now.

Written by The Turbanator on 07.08.2011 at 18:23

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1989083_2137372,00.html

His prison cell.

It's not like I want to start a big argument about this Uldreth...But this is what I was talking about, look for yourself: Do you call that justice? Really?
Do you think most of that stuff is necessary?
If you do... Then we totally live in a different world from each other. That is not a prison, that looks nicer than so many schools I've seen. It's ridiculous, I can't find another word to describe that. I said it before and I will say it again.. I don't believe in torture or death penalty and I don't want a friggin dark and cold cave for the prisioners but they DO NOT deserve that.
----
Rod, let me love you.
07.08.2011 - 23:03
ß
Problem?
Hmm no wonder prison is so expensive.
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
08.08.2011 - 02:04
Uldreth
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.08.2011 at 22:16

Written by The Turbanator on 07.08.2011 at 18:23

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1989083_2137372,00.html

His prison cell.

It's not like I want to start a big argument about this Uldreth...But this is what I was talking about, look for yourself: Do you call that justice? Really?
Do you think most of that stuff is necessary?
If you do... Then we totally live in a different world from each other. That is not a prison, that looks nicer than so many schools I've seen. It's ridiculous, I can't find another word to describe that. I said it before and I will say it again.. I don't believe in torture or death penalty and I don't want a friggin dark and cold cave for the prisioners but they DO NOT deserve that.

My stance can be mainly interpreted as that I do not care what he has in that cell as long as it is not a medieval dungeon and he is physically locked away from the world. It is not my businness. He can have all the luxury for my part as long as he is prevented from committing a crime again. I mainly wrote what I wrote originally since your 'prison requirements' list could have been well applied to a medieval dungeon even if you did not intend so. After all they had air, shit water and shit bread just about nothing else.
But yes I think that prison is quite okay as it serves its purpose without overstepping some boundaries. Never said the luxury was 'necessary' but I find zero problems with it at all.

And chances are we do live in a quite different world^^
08.08.2011 - 02:28
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Uldreth on 08.08.2011 at 02:04

Never said the luxury was 'necessary' but I find zero problems with it at all.

There's a point you can't deny:
You have to draw a line somewhere... This is not a talk about rehabilitation and punishment anymore as those discussions are subjective and pointless in the long run. All the extremes are bad and I obviously agree with you that a "medieval cell" is one of those extremes. Trust me that I'm not one of those people who seek revenge and wish those people despair (I felt the "Vengeance comment" quite insulting tbh)... But the word justice doesn't really exist in this world right now and it's confusing our society.

This is in my opinion... the other extreme side of the spectrum. Believe me that I wouldn't give a damn about this subject AT ALL if all the schools and hospitals in this world were of high standards... But they aren't, some places on earth don't even have such things.
It's not a matter of taking away things from convicts... This is a question of why we can't give the same to the rest of the world. I would sure as hell trade a recording studio for some food for a poor family. I highly doubt the convicts would ever care for it that much.

You have to draw a line somewhere... Where would you draw that line?
----
Rod, let me love you.
08.08.2011 - 06:33
Ragana
Rawrcat
I think this particular prison simply may not make people feel like they're sentenced to be there for something they've done. it's almost like a summer camp. the only difference is that the summer lasts longer and there are stricter rules, plus, the punishment for getting in trouble is not that bad so basically it can make you think you haven't done anything bad at all. now, how cool motivational is that?
08.08.2011 - 11:22
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Ragana on 08.08.2011 at 06:33

I think this particular prison simply may not make people feel like they're sentenced to be there for something they've done. it's almost like a summer camp. the only difference is that the summer lasts longer and there are stricter rules, plus, the punishment for getting in trouble is not that bad so basically it can make you think you haven't done anything bad at all. now, how cool motivational is that?

I find it interesting how there's another forum where the major opinion is the opposite. I'm treated like the bad guy atm just because I simply don't agree with the fact that there's a friggin record studio there. I wonder if that's what you should expect from a forum of indie (and kind of hipster) people... Nah, just kidding there
Here are some random comments I find kind of hilarious because they totally don't see the point I was trying to make and just go and twist my words so I'm just a guy who wants to torture people (well, the first quote in this case).

Quote:
"woo, they did something bad, so we need to make them miserable!"
You've got two choices to make when handling convicts - punishment and rehabilitation. Those are actually mutually exclusive, one makes the convict hate society, and one tries to make him/her respect it. There's the infamous video showing off the Norwegian prison island which is basically summer camp that you can't leave. If such a prison reduces the chance of the inmates coming back, they work. That's more than you can say for most prisons in the entire world.

Quote:
The point is that the convict hates society a little bit less when they get their recording studio, and that is A GOOD THING. The fact of the matter is, Western prison systems are a complete failure, acting as little more than graduate school for criminals - and, if you've been to prison, your only choice is, really, the dole or more crime. Instead of a stupid circle of crime-prison-crime, it might make sense to treat convicted criminals nicely and thereby have a chance of rehabilitation. I don't think the distinction between a definitively failed system and one which, at worst, has yet to be shown to be a failure is subjective, either. But why rehabilitation is the only sensible option is probably a subject for another thread.

Quote:
Commentators who accuse Norway of having "too soft" a prison system should perhaps first compare the crime-rate in Norway with that in their own countries, with their generally more retributive systems. Some of the comment I've read in media since Breivik's crime has had a distinct and very nasty undercurrent of "them pinkos had it coming". I very much admire the Norwegians' apparent determination not to allow a ugly crime to to turn them ugly.
----
Rod, let me love you.
08.08.2011 - 23:28
Ragana
Rawrcat
I'm all for recreation and education, let those people learn new things and most of them will actually take it seriously, but there always are exceptions. we can't assume everybody's the same, you know. :?

p.s. someone stole my summer camp idea. ;(
09.08.2011 - 14:13
Valentin B
Iconoclast
After a lot of consideration i agree with Mr. Doctor to an extent.. these people have done nothing but harm to society, and they sure as hell don´t deserve that kind of relative luxury. i mean, really, a recording studio? i know what they mean by trying to make the prisoner respect society and adapt to it instead of simple punishment, but i´m not sure how exactly do all these free benefits that 99% of all other people in the world don´t have, fit into this plan. i guess if someone would look at it in an extremely cynical way, it´s almost like a reward: you do some bad stuff, they then put you in this ultra-modern home and give you all these incredible benefits, which you probably had difficulties affording while in the normal society too.

then again though, that´s the only part of prison life the outsiders see, so maybe there is something more to this (like for example the wardens psychological influence on inmates or whatever)

in one of Michael Moore´s last documentaries they have a deleted scene with a prison in norway. they interview a warden who says that some guy killed a man with a chainsaw, and after a few years of rehabilitation the guy was cutting trees with a chainsaw and wasn´t violent anymore. it´s strange when you think about it but maybe it does work.. but i don´t think Breivik will ever be able to return to a normal life, maybe somewhere in some remote village in another part of the world, but in Norway i´m pretty sure he will be a complete outcast and probably the target of revenge/hate crimes.
09.08.2011 - 23:02
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
We may have fucked up Jail times and some pretty horrible laws, but at least we don't treat our criminals like royalty. I am sure that all of you have seen the prison that this fella is going to. Here are some pictures from Halden.

This makes me furious. In the US you don't even get that treatment if you did some petty crime. Such bullshit.
Welcome to the US Supermax.

About 23 hours a day is spent in the bottom picture.
10.08.2011 - 00:45
Uldreth
Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.08.2011 at 02:28

There's a point you can't deny:
You have to draw a line somewhere... This is not a talk about rehabilitation and punishment anymore as those discussions are subjective and pointless in the long run. All the extremes are bad and I obviously agree with you that a "medieval cell" is one of those extremes. Trust me that I'm not one of those people who seek revenge and wish those people despair (I felt the "Vengeance comment" quite insulting tbh)... But the word justice doesn't really exist in this world right now and it's confusing our society.

This is in my opinion... the other extreme side of the spectrum. Believe me that I wouldn't give a damn about this subject AT ALL if all the schools and hospitals in this world were of high standards... But they aren't, some places on earth don't even have such things.
It's not a matter of taking away things from convicts... This is a question of why we can't give the same to the rest of the world. I would sure as hell trade a recording studio for some food for a poor family. I highly doubt the convicts would ever care for it that much.

You have to draw a line somewhere... Where would you draw that line?

That comment was not directed against anyone specifically but as an expression of my opposition against viewing justice or the (lawful) punishment as a suffering inflicted upon the convict, nothing else.

As for the rest of the post I quoted, I cannot disagree but don't forget we are talking about Norway. That is one of those countries with the LEAST such issues you have stated as far as I know and this sort of prison system is mainly being used there. I do not believe that is a coincidence. The overwhelming majority of the norwegian people probably live far better than the circumstances in the prison complex and the country suffers from not much economic trouble.