Metal Storm logo
Opeth - New Song Online

"The Devil's Orchard", a brand-new track by Swedish progressive metallers Opeth, can now be streamed over at Stereogum.

"The Devil's Orchard" comes off the band's upcoming album Heritage, which is set to be released on September 14th through Roadrunner Records. More album details were previously reported here and here.

Source: stereogum.com
Band profile: Opeth
Posted: 27.07.2011 by Account deleted

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 56   Visited by: 436 users
27.07.2011 - 17:47
@gent_-_orange
A lot of 70's prog worship... Very good song, Looking forward to hearing the rest.
27.07.2011 - 17:52
MechanisT
Account deleted
Pretty sweet, that one. Looking forward to the new album.
27.07.2011 - 18:07
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Extremely awesome song. KC influences all over.
Listened like twenty times to this song yesterday, I think I will stop until the album comes out now.
27.07.2011 - 18:22
Lawre
Far from my cup of tea and the fact that the album only contains clean vocals doesn't bode well for the rest of the album. This seems to be heading towards a huge disappointment for me
27.07.2011 - 18:29
@gent_-_orange
Written by Lawre on 27.07.2011 at 18:22

Far from my cup of tea and the fact that the album only contains clean vocals doesn't bode well for the rest of the album. This seems to be heading towards a huge disappointment for me

I Didn't know that the album was only going to have clean vocals in it seems like a bad idea to me.... It takes away what makes them interesting in the first place.... Still though I am keeping my hopes up for this album.
27.07.2011 - 18:29
AdamArmour
Personally, I think this is a great direction for the band. I'm always happy to see the artists I love stretching their creativity. No need to get stuck in a rut. I love Opeth's death metal music, but not solely because I enjoy the genre. Opeth is a great band and will continue to make fantastic music, no matter what genre Akerfeldt explores.
27.07.2011 - 19:16
Dargor
Written by @gent_-_orange on 27.07.2011 at 18:29

I Didn't know that the album was only going to have clean vocals in it seems like a bad idea to me.... It takes away what makes them interesting in the first place.... Still though I am keeping my hopes up for this album.

To me Opeth never was about harsh vocals or brutally or whatever. To me it's more about the moods and feelings.
Damnation was not that much of a metal album, very smooth and no growls, and it was an amazingly great album.

Heritage seems to go in the exact same direction, focusing more on the psychedelic side.
Personally, I really like that track. They still sound like Opeth which is perfectly fine for me
27.07.2011 - 19:30
@gent_-_orange
Written by Dargor on 27.07.2011 at 19:16

Written by @gent_-_orange on 27.07.2011 at 18:29

To me Opeth never was about harsh vocals or brutally or whatever. To me it's more about the moods and feelings.
Damnation was not that much of a metal album, very smooth and no growls, and it was an amazingly great album.

Heritage seems to go in the exact same direction, focusing more on the psychedelic side.
Personally, I really like that track. They still sound like Opeth which is perfectly fine for me

I get what your saying... but I think the reason I like opeth in the first place was the contrasts... Dark/Light Heavy/Soft etc... The problem is that I didn't really dig Damnation (Technically it was a good album but I just couldn't get into it .... Maybe I should give it a few more spins) so im a bit sceptical on this record which includes only clean vocals (especially since Mikael's growls are excellent so its a shame to not use them) .... Still though this song is very good but I dont know how an album like this is going to turn out... Guess well just have to wait and see.
27.07.2011 - 19:47
Dargor
Written by @gent_-_orange on 27.07.2011 at 19:30

I get what your saying... but I think the reason I like opeth in the first place was the contrasts... Dark/Light Heavy/Soft etc... The problem is that I didn't really dig Damnation (Technically it was a good album but I just couldn't get into it .... Maybe I should give it a few more spins) so im a bit sceptical on this record which includes only clean vocals (especially since Mikael's growls are excellent so its a shame to not use them) .... Still though this song is very good but I dont know how an album like this is going to turn out... Guess well just have to wait and see.

I understand and respect your point. I totally agree. I guess I just don't mind if it's not the "usual" Opeth album.
We all have our reasons to like a band!

But I would still be sad if the contrast you speak of (which I love too) was to go away forever.
27.07.2011 - 20:39
@gent_-_orange
Quote:
Written by @gent_-_orange on 27.07.2011 at 19:30

But I would still be sad if the contrast you speak of (which I love too) was to go away forever.

Exactly... If that were to happen at least we could say they have had a run of good albums in that style.
27.07.2011 - 21:33
Andresopeth
Officially Opeth can do whatever in the world they like, they have produced the largest variety of sounds i've heard in a band without losing anything in terms of quality, seems they always push themselves to improve their originality, wasn't enough with Damnation and Watershed, now they're beyond, there's no band like this one, i feel blesses to live in the same age of this band!
27.07.2011 - 21:39
Roro
Disappointed
27.07.2011 - 21:44
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Wow only 12 comments? I figured people would be losing their shit over this, regardless of their opinion of the song.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
27.07.2011 - 23:32
AXA
Written by AXA on 27.07.2011 at 23:31

OPETH .... i cant wait ,,,
i need the album
i read every think abut the album and i need to hear it soon \../
27.07.2011 - 23:36
Rupert
I'm diggin' it
27.07.2011 - 23:56
Jeeers
Not impressed... yet...
Hopes are always high for upcoming Opeth albums and so far no album has disappointed me. We will see...
28.07.2011 - 00:21
Enissa
Well, first: Coool song...i like it aloot
second: I dont think that making an album like "Damnation" is a disappointment, coz they already prove they can pull off such album with such style and "Damnation" is pretty awesome album...
Still, I dont think they will keep in this direction forever, coz simply its their sound...!!
28.07.2011 - 02:23
rekkuza-
Opeth, you never fail to amuse me. ^^
----
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it- Oscar Wilde
28.07.2011 - 02:25
Gelati
This is definitely a different direction and whether you like it or not you've got to appreciate just how incredibly talented Opeth is to constantly be developing into something new. I like that they kept the trademark organ sound and a lot of the Opeth "atmosphere," if you will, while still performing something completely different. There's also some outstanding drumset work. Jazz fusion, Opeth style. I can't wait.
28.07.2011 - 03:20
Sasha Batrakov
Account deleted
Why do people like Opeth so much? Don't get me wrong, they are an excellent band but if any other band tried to change their style, they would be shit on so hard. Stop kissing ass.
28.07.2011 - 03:37
PEOPLE!!! Why are you forgetting who Opeth are? No death vocals on the whole album? This is not the same Opeth we knew in the days of the band's prime. I'm not saying the new stuff is no good. Its just a massive shift from the glory days.
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
28.07.2011 - 03:49
Dark Blood
The Avenger
My mind is still blank and incapable of forming an opinion about this song. Let me digest it for a few days and I'll get back to you.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
28.07.2011 - 04:38
Crème fraiche
LOL at people raging on youtube over the no growls. I personally think its refreshing as hell!
28.07.2011 - 04:44
BenWasHere
This is so good
It really is impossible for Opeth to make bad music
28.07.2011 - 05:07
Pyramid God
VERY
VERY
VERY
GOOD

I love the 70s sounding organ sound. I love this. Proof yet again that anything Akerfeldt is involved with is amazing.
28.07.2011 - 06:46
Pyramid God
3 more listens and I like it even more.
28.07.2011 - 07:34
SODOM666
I love death growls as much as the next guy but I really don't mind an all clean album. For example Mike's clean vocals at the end of "When" are perfect so I still expect pure excellence from this album.
----
Wendy's frostys are "black metal."
28.07.2011 - 07:55
Pyramid God
Written by Guest on 28.07.2011 at 03:20

Why do people like Opeth so much? Don't get me wrong, they are an excellent band but if any other band tried to change their style, they would be shit on so hard. Stop kissing ass.

Thing is, this song is not a tremendous departure from their sound, and its totally awesome. Its not ass kissing if its truth.
28.07.2011 - 08:09
Hell yeaa!
28.07.2011 - 08:11
Crème fraiche
Written by Pyramid God on 28.07.2011 at 07:55

Written by Guest on 28.07.2011 at 03:20

Thing is, this song is not a tremendous departure from their sound, and its totally awesome. Its not ass kissing if its truth.

+1

Hits total: 5802 | This month: 15