11. Shimmy
12. Toxicity
13. Psycho
14. Aerials

Top 20 albums of 2001: 12

Staff review by
Herzebeth
Rating:
System of a Down created a huge hype for the nu-metal scene back in 2001 with an album called "Toxicity"; to this day the mentioned album is still a best seller in many stores and we can hear many people talking about the greatness of this album. I bought this album a while ago, I heard it a lot of times I liked it the first few listens, but after a while it bored me big time and then I even sold it to a weird kid with an emoish hairdo.

Read more ››
published 30.04.2006 | Comments (72)

Found in 80 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 39   Visited by: 1261 users
27.07.2011 - 23:18
Rating: 10
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
One of the best album of 2001.
01.10.2011 - 05:44
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 27.07.2011 at 23:18

One of the best album of 2011.

There's a mistake here, man. Toxicity is from 2001, not 2011!
02.04.2012 - 17:46
Rating: 8
musicalkaratekid

It's not quite as consistent as their debut, but the obvious highlights ('Chop Suey', 'Aerials' and the title track) as well as some truly heavy riffs make this album what it essentially is: A challenge to raise the bar higher than they did with their debut album. In my opinion the debut album has more of a balance in terms of melody and madness, but 'aerials' could be mistaken for the band's premium ballad.
03.06.2012 - 06:06
GrayWiZZarD
Account deleted
One of System's BEST albums..
24.06.2012 - 06:00
Rating: 9
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I've always wanted to like this album more than I do, but I unfortunately never got into some of their less... "hit" material. For me it's just too inconsistent. Although I do really enjoy listening to "Prison Song", "Chop Suey", and "Toxicity".
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.06.2012 - 06:03
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.06.2012 at 06:00

I've always wanted to like this album more than I do, but I unfortunately never got into some of their less... "hit" material. For me it's just too inconsistent. Although I do really enjoy listening to "Prison Song", "Chop Suey", and "Toxicity".

Really, that's the album, people (I think anyway) overate this due to the couple of hits, they don't rate it as an entire album.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
24.06.2012 - 06:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I can't speak for others, I mean maybe they really like all the other tracks. But I just can't get past feeling like it's all filler in between the three I mentioned. I dunno, I guess I understand how people can appreciate other tracks like "Needles" and "Aerials", but they just lack the same catch factor. Again, it's kind of a hit-song thing for me, like a typical pop release that has a clear-cut one or two stand-out tracks and the rest of the album just seems like it was written for the sake of completing a full-length.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.06.2012 - 01:45
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.06.2012 at 06:06

I can't speak for others, I mean maybe they really like all the other tracks. But I just can't get past feeling like it's all filler in between the three I mentioned. I dunno, I guess I understand how people can appreciate other tracks like "Needles" and "Aerials", but they just lack the same catch factor. Again, it's kind of a hit-song thing for me, like a typical pop release that has a clear-cut one or two stand-out tracks and the rest of the album just seems like it was written for the sake of completing a full-length.

If anything, the comparatively high score for what is largely considered a nu metal band/album (a genre disliked by default by anyone who's passed "Metal 101") speaks to the quality of SOAD's albums ;]

I don't think there are any weak tracks on this album. 'Bounce' is somewhat of a novelty track but aside from that it's quality through and through (says the guy who gave it 10/10 (probably 9.5/10 in reality though as I prefer the debut slightly more)).
25.06.2012 - 02:27
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I always wondered why this band gets so much praise.
And I'm not saying they are bad, I love them, but it's hard to believe so many people do with a music that is so... maybe not inaccessible, but "uncomfortable" to listen to.
25.06.2012 - 02:33
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Unhealer on 25.06.2012 at 02:27

I always wondered why this band gets so much praise.
And I'm not saying they are bad, I love them, but it's hard to believe so many people do with a music that is so... maybe not inaccessible, but "uncomfortable" to listen to.

There are waaaaaaaay more inaccessible and "uncomfortable" bands to listen to than SOAD hahahaha. I dig some of their songs and I never found anything particularly uncomfortable about them.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.06.2012 - 02:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah, bar the first album I'd say SOAD are pretty accessible all round to be honest. As a new band they'd never thrive in the current climate though I doubt, they came about at a time when nu and alternative metal was a big thing so they slotted in quite nicely into that field whilst being genuinely unique sounding and creative.
25.06.2012 - 02:38
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 25.06.2012 at 02:33

There are waaaaaaaay more inaccessible and "uncomfortable" bands to listen to than SOAD hahahaha. I dig some of their songs and I never found anything particularly uncomfortable about them.

Of course! I'm still surprised they went so far into the mainstream.
Anyway, I'm kinda referring to ears that are not used to metal. I know a lot of people that don't listen to metal regularly but are really into SOAD, and they are not "single-only" listeners or something like that, they really dig them.
18.12.2012 - 23:55
Rating: 7
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I remember hearing the song "Shimmy" from the Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 video game on the first Playstation. Awesome stuff, really fun album.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
03.06.2013 - 18:59
Illog1cal
Account deleted
Is it just me that thinks 'Jet Pilot' was strangely prophetic in relation to 9/11, this album was released only 7 days before it happened. Maybe I have got the meaning completely wrong, or maybe it does not mean anything?
03.06.2013 - 19:19
Illog1cal
Account deleted
Written by Unhealer on 25.06.2012 at 02:38

Written by X-Ray Rod on 25.06.2012 at 02:33

Of course! I'm still surprised they went so far into the mainstream.
Anyway, I'm kinda referring to ears that are not used to metal. I know a lot of people that don't listen to metal regularly but are really into SOAD, and they are not "single-only" listeners or something like that, they really dig them.

That might be because SOAD's music is laden with hooks whereas other bands like for example Suffocation have no strong hooks (although they do have some). When first listening to bands like Suffocation, their sound seems impenetrable, you almost have to condition yourself to it, SOAD is much more welcoming, despite its ridiculousness. It also helps that SOAD have a more fun punkish edge to their music.
03.06.2013 - 19:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 03.06.2013 at 18:59

Is it just that thinks 'Jet Pilot' was strangely prophetic in relation to 9/11, this album was released only 7 days before it happened. Maybe I have got the meaning completely wrong, or maybe it does not mean anything?

I've read (somewhere) that it's about ADHD. Most of their lyrics are too surreal and Dadaist to really be certain on their meaning though.
28.11.2013 - 21:52
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
This album is still relevant.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.11.2013 - 00:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 25.06.2012 at 01:45

Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.06.2012 at 06:06

If anything, the comparatively high score for what is largely considered a nu metal band/album (a genre disliked by default by anyone who's passed "Metal 101") speaks to the quality of SOAD's albums ;]

I don't think there are any weak tracks on this album. 'Bounce' is somewhat of a novelty track but aside from that it's quality through and through (says the guy who gave it 10/10 (probably 9.5/10 in reality though as I prefer the debut slightly more)).

Funny how opinions change - I now consider this one of my all-time favorite albums, and would honestly give it a 10/10 at this point.
----
29.11.2013 - 00:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.11.2013 at 00:11

Funny how opinions change - I now consider this one of my all-time favorite albums, and would honestly give it a 10/10 at this point.

Not too shabby then for an album which most people regard as a bit of a springboard album.
29.11.2013 - 00:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 29.11.2013 at 00:20
springboard album.

A springboard album?
----
29.11.2013 - 00:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.11.2013 at 00:22

A springboard album?

Kind of one of those pre-serious metal albums. An album that people love before they discover heavier stuff and in the end talk about in a nostalgic sense rather than something they still love and listen to.
29.11.2013 - 00:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 29.11.2013 at 00:34
Kind of one of those pre-serious metal albums. An album that people love before they discover heavier stuff and in the end talk about in a nostalgic sense rather than something they still love and listen to.

Ah I see what you mean now. I remember listening to this again about six months ago and absolutely loving it ever since. No clue why the sudden turn-around, but I'm okay with it.
----
01.04.2014 - 22:28
mz

Been listening to this album exclusively in last three days. I hate myself for forgetting about it for a long time. The best thing about this album is the humor factor that makes toxicity not only excellent, but also funny at the same time. Can't find a single track from this album which I don't like.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
01.04.2014 - 22:31
mz

Backing vocals are horrible though, but that's not such a big deal.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
15.08.2014 - 21:30
Ganondox

Quite a few songs seem to be filler, which is the only thing keeping me from giving this a 10. The other songs are top-notch, making this one of the best rock albums of the last decade.
15.08.2014 - 21:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
For me the only song I don't like quite so much as all others is Prison Song. That being said I still do like it and would never skip it.
16.08.2014 - 01:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Prison Song used to be one of the few SoaD songs I could ever get into, now it's one of my least favorite. Bounce is terrible though. I know it isn't meant to be taken seriously but I can't help skipping it whenever it comes up.
----
22.09.2014 - 12:17
_deepblack

Such great Memories and System Of A Down best album
20.06.2016 - 05:04
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Oh the memories. <3
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
18.10.2016 - 21:10