Metal Storm logo
Duke Nukem

28.07.2011 - 03:56
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Duke Nukem, the definition of a Badass mother fucker...

I think everyone born in the eighties (and early nineties) would agree that the Duke Nukem attitude defined their view on "coolness" (yes, we used that word back then)

the first 3D title was revolutionary, it had the ass-blowing and gut-exploding weapons, level interaction such as looking at yourself in the mirror, peeing, drinking coke from vending machines, and of course, the low-resolution naked chicks

now, after -i dunno- forever, the sequel is finally here, ladies and gentlemen, i give you:

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER !!

----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
30.07.2011 - 02:32
Mattybu

This game got terrible reviews. From what I saw of it, they're spot on too. It looks like garbage
30.07.2011 - 02:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah I doubt I'll ever play the new one after the reviews I read. Just play Bulletstorm instead if you want foul-mouthed characters.
30.07.2011 - 02:43
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

Also... I'm just going to write what Tim Buckley said about the game because it's exactly what I wanted to say as well:

Quote:
Duke Nukem Forever is finally out this week. I haven't played much of the game yet, but the bit I did play was... well, it was a video game. It ran on my computer, and showed up on my monitor, and I could interact with it via my mouse. That's probably the nicest thing I can say about Duke Nukem Forever.

I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting a good game. Last year when Gearbox made this huge announcement that they'd acquired the rights to the game, and would finally be finishing and releasing it, everyone made a pretty big deal about it. I quietly pondered why people even cared about this game anymore.

I can only imagine that the legend of the game... the stigma surrounding it's development saga is the only thing fueling the hype, and ultimately, will be the primary thing that sells any copies of this game. Point of fact, that's why I bought it, expecting full well it would be trash. It's been such an industry joke for over a decade, myself guilty of making jokes about it, that it was mostly a morbid curiosity to see the thing to its conclusion, for better or worse.

And having watched videos of it, and read about it, and played some of it, I really feel that Duke Nukem Forever was better as a vaporware legend than it is in reality. And had that infamy not existed, I have a hard time believing that anyone truly thought to themselves "You know what we need? Another Duke Nukem game."

I'm not entirely sure where you would even place the blame for this game. Having enjoyed Gearbox's other games, I'm reluctant to say it's their fault. In fact, it's pretty clear it isn't. Everything about Duke Nukem Forever screams attention to it's decade-long development cycle.

The game is outdated, clunky. The Duke comes of as borish, sexist, immature and unlikeable. He was an outrageous parody back in the '90s, a tongue in cheek take on action heroes, even borrowing some of their one-liners. Duke was violent and crass, and I think we loved him back then because that was all new territory for a video game.

Also I was ten when I first played Duke Nukem, so all the violence and swearing and "babes" was exciting, like staying up late to watch an R-rated movie I wasn't supposed to see.

He hasn't aged well, and now I find Duke annoying.

From a sheer gameplay standpoint, I can't find much to like either, aside from fleeting moments of pure shooty goodness wherein I briefly recall the glory days of Doom and Doom 2. These shooty bits are broken up by a lot of awkward platforming and racing mini games.

Gearbox said to themselves "Hey, let's buy the IP and finish this thing", and I can't imagine why. Nothing about DNF that I've seen begged to be released to the public. It does nothing new, it brings nothing fresh to the table. And at the same time, it falls flat as a "throwback", as a nostalgia shooter from back in the days when times (and first person shooters) were simpler.

I haven't played multiplayer yet, but from what I've read, and heard from friends who have played it, it fares no better than the core game.

I have no doubt that there will be people that enjoy it, that find some charm in it. Really though, I suspect most people who buy it will do so for the same reason I did. For some closure. To say "yes, DNF finally came out. And I played it."

Now let's leave Duke in the past where he belongs.

That dude is sooooo 90's is not even funny, it's just wrong.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
30.07.2011 - 21:32
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
But ... but...

it's got a throw-your-own-feces feature

on second thoughts, i can now see why do you guys think this game is shit
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
03.08.2011 - 19:59
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
I got it a few days ago man it's really a let down after waiting for so long
10.08.2011 - 00:24
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Pretty horrible game. The multiplayer is one of the worst that I have touched. The single player was also a big letdown. I was really expecting more. Big let down for sure a big wait.
12.08.2011 - 01:29
@gent_-_orange

I cant believe I bought DNF blindly just because I had waited so long for it... I guess I deserved to have my money taken from me.
12.08.2011 - 04:25
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by @gent_-_orange on 12.08.2011 at 01:29

I cant believe I bought DNF blindly just because I had waited so long for it... I guess I deserved to have my money taken from me.

You and millions of others fell for the trick.
16.08.2011 - 04:33
Mothman

I sold it back to Gamestop after I beat it. I NEVER do that.
16.08.2011 - 18:26
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Mothman on 16.08.2011 at 04:33

I sold it back to Gamestop after I beat it. I NEVER do that.

Just took mine back yesterday, got damn near nothing back in return but its better than keep the fucking game.
19.08.2011 - 15:34
vezzy
Stallmanite
Hmmm... it looks likes Ezz wasn't as bad as I thought.

Yeah, DNF really is a tough one. I'd list all sorts of defenses: the bad console ports (the Xbox 360 port is the one most reviewed by everyone and copypasta'd, which is graphically inferior and has plenty of bugs). Seriously, nobody reviews PC games anymore for some reason. Another thing I'd like to say is that many so-called "reviews" didn't tackle the game but rather, Duke's character. That's just idiotic. Of course Duke's gonna be offensive. BTW, he's not misogynistic, he's a hedonist. Big difference.

Although I do agree that in Duke3D the humor was more subtle, tongue-in-cheek and aggressive, which worked better. Here he's goofier and yeah, kind of a douche at times, but it's nothing serious. Duke is '90s spirit. Graphics-whores need to chill down too. It's been 14 years, it's obvious they've recycled old textures and snazz. Plus it uses Unreal 2.5, and it looks awesome in the interior dam levels later on (PC).

There's an upcoming DLC featuring fifteen levels that were cut that Gearbox are polishing as well as a satirical multiplayer DLC. There aren't many people playing multiplayer Duke at all, but it feels good to play a Dukematch again after all this time. And yeah, I still play DNF despite its faults. Perhaps one of the most crucial errors on Gearbox's part is how they're trying to strip the game of modability, as was demonstrated with their recent patch which toggled console off.

That ends my short rant, dudes.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
27.09.2011 - 03:29
Ankläger

Only one I ever played was the original...
Played the first episode as shareware back in like... '98-ish... didn't played episodes 2 and 3 until a couple of years ago, though.
SO badass.
Genius in its simplicity.

Well, I played the DNF demo, but only until I *SPOILER* fieldgoaled that dude's head *SPOILER*, and then I got really friggin' bored. (Had a lot of fun pissing for like 10 minutes, but I was *SPOILER* inebriated *SPOILER*)
27.09.2011 - 21:46
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
So basically what your trying to say is that they are putting out a whole new multiplayer for it?
08.03.2012 - 03:47
Sonic MrSumo

I loved this game...whilst the first couple of levels were just painful, I persisted with it and thoroughly enjoyed the middle and later levels. Also, the boss fights rocked...they don't make'm like that anymore (obviously with the exception of this game!).
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
09.03.2012 - 20:12
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Sonic MrSumo on 08.03.2012 at 03:47

I loved this game...whilst the first couple of levels were just painful, I persisted with it and thoroughly enjoyed the middle and later levels. Also, the boss fights rocked...they don't make'm like that anymore (obviously with the exception of this game!).

As well as Serious Sam 3: BFE.
----
09.03.2012 - 20:30
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Guest on 30.07.2011 at 02:37

Yeah I doubt I'll ever play the new one after the reviews I read. Just play Bulletstorm instead if you want foul-mouthed characters.

Just noticed this thread today. Bulletstorm (which by the way is a Polish game) has some best lines in the history of computer games, especially those belonging to general Sarrano.
I could replay the game just to listen to him again
09.03.2012 - 22:03
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Daniell on 09.03.2012 at 20:30
Just noticed this thread today. Bulletstorm (which by the way is a Polish game) has some best lines in the history of computer games, especially those belonging to general Sarrano.
I could replay the game just to listen to him again

Bulletstorm was good, but I'm just fine with Painkiller, tbh.
----