Metal Storm logo
Mike Portnoy - Teams Up With John Sykes For New Trio

Ex-Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy have teamed up with John Sykes (Ex-Guitarist of Thin Lizzy and Whitesnake) for a new trio.

Mike Portnoy has issued the following update: "Yes, this is what I've been working on here in LA for the last week or so (as well as a few days at the end of May).

John and I have been working with a bass player as well (no, not Dug Pinnick) and the announcement of who it is will be made at a later point... let's just say it is a completely ridiculous modern-day power trio!!!

We've demo-ed 12 songs so far and will begin recording the album in the fall.

I've tweeted some photos tonight of me, John, Eddie, etc.

John Sykes and Mike Portnoy

For the record, this is a new 'real BAND' for me, and Adrenaline Mob is also a new 'real BAND' for me.

I will divide my time as best as I can between the two (hey, if Corey Taylor and Jim Root, Mike Patton, Joe Satriani and Chad Smith, Zakk Wylde all can do it, so can I!) and I am equally excited by both...as they are both amazing new bands, but VERY different worlds musically...so there's really no clash creatively.

Timing wise, Adrenaline Mob is happening NOW....and my band with Sykes and _____ won't be released later next year....so they'll be able to co-exist just fine!

While on the subject of 'real BAND' vs. 'side-project' and time dividing...there still is my album with Morse, Morse, McPherson and LaRue as well (which also is incredible! and a whole OTHER side musically)...which may fall more into the 'side-project' catagory (ala Transatlantic and Liquid Tension Experiment) as of course, Steve has Deep Purple as his full time band...release info on that is still forthcoming as well...

Exciting times are ahead kids!!

I can't wait for you all to hear what I've been doing all year."

Source: bravewords.com
Band profile: Dream Theater
Posted: 29.07.2011 by Panzerchrist

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 9   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 128 users
29.07.2011 - 06:48
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
I heard that Russel Allen and Mike Orlando were also in this band. Can anyone confirm that?
----
(space for rent)
29.07.2011 - 07:17
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
Let the Portnoy bum-rushing begin.
29.07.2011 - 07:27
AXA

Hail yeah awesome gods drummer Mike Portnoy
awesome news \../
Let the Portnoy bum-rushing begin
29.07.2011 - 07:28
Fat & Sassy!

THIS COULD BE INTERESTING.
29.07.2011 - 09:36
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
Written by AXA on 29.07.2011 at 07:27

awesome news \../
NOW let the Portnoy bum-rushing begin

Fixed.
29.07.2011 - 10:07
BudDa

Glad to see he is keeping busy!
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
29.07.2011 - 10:08
AXA

Written by AXA on 29.07.2011 at 10:07

Written by Guest on 29.07.2011 at 09:36

Written by AXA on 29.07.2011 at 07:27

awesome news \../
NOW let the Portnoy bum-rushing new started

Fixed.

29.07.2011 - 11:30
Milena
gloom cookie
I'm pretty stoked about this, I love John Sykes, both his playing and his voice. I just think that it's quite silly for Portnoy to talk about Adrenaline Mob as a full-time band, as Russell Allen has more important stuff to do than sing in it.
----
7.0 means the album is good
29.07.2011 - 22:25
Symmachus

Well, Mike Portnoy has been announcing a lot of new projects recently. I sure hope that he has time for all of these projects and can balance his schedule and himself well. Regardless, best of luck to him on his post-Dream Theater adventures.

Hits total: 3915 | This month: 3