06. March To The Black Crown
07. Witness The Addiction [feat. Jonathan Davis]
08. Cross-Eyed Catastrophe
09. Smashed [feat. Frank Mullen]
10. The Only Thing That Sets Us Apart
11. Cancerous Skies
12. Revival Of Life [Limited Delux Edition track]
13. Superbeast [Rob Zombie cover][iTunes Edition track]

...Time for another big can of worms to be opened up. Here's another album which, regardless of how you approach it in your review, someone is going to completely lose their shit on you for either being too harsh, or not being harsh enough. A lot of people seem to hate Suicide Silence. Well, while I certainly don't understand the intense animosity people express towards this band, I don't exactly understand the attraction either.

Let's be clear right from the bat; this album almost doesn't suck. There are quite a few cool sounding riffs scattered throughout the album, mostly the eerie leads that poke through from time to time. The overall feel is as heavy as you could want it to be, especially in this one breakdown...

...And that other breakdown...

...And those seven or eight songs that seem like a continuous breakdown...

Alright, alright, before you jump on my ass, I've got no beef with breakdowns. The idea of being offended by a drop in tempo is ludicrous. In fact, they really have their place from time to time. When over half your album sounds like one perpetual breakdown, then we've got problems. It's caught in this constant loop of pounding mid-tempo riffing that makes this an incredibly stale listen. The odd track or two close to the end of The Black Crown in which the band manages to pick up the pace are actually pretty nifty. It's promising, but realistically too little too late by that point in the album. Hell, even an entire track or two like this would be fine, but 75% of the songs on this album sound virtually identical. I'd probably be sold on Suicide Silence if they managed to write songs in more than one tempo, this is just stagnant.

Written on 29.07.2011 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Guest review by
s7mon
Rating:
When you look at the comments section below one of their videos on YouTube, the words that you'll find there are most often "gay," "fag," "shit" or a combination of these. We're all aware how hated Suicide Silence and deathcore are in general, but whether we like it or not, these young Americans have become really big. Ok, their debut album, The Cleansing, was a mediocre deathcore record. Their second LP, No Time To Bleed, showed a band developing and even though it was based on deathcore structures, it contained more departures from the previously chosen genre and more experiments, for example wider and wiser selection of electronic samples. In a nutshell, it was a better CD. Now we have The Black Crown, which is a proof that Suicide Silence do not intend to stand still. Based on the genre they have helped to create, they have become a trademark of and also bear the burden of being its scapegoat, they are on their way of creating something on their own. What I mean is that they distanced themselves from other deathcore groups and when you listen to them and compare to, let's say, Oceano (yuck!), you can clearly see a difference.

Read more ››
published 05.11.2011 | Comments (6)

Guest review by
Boxcar Willy
Rating:
"Why add a breakdown into a song that is already just one continuous breakdown?" - Unkown.

Wise words, especially if directed towards Suicide Silence. Their newest album The Black Crown is exactly that, one monotonous breakdown. When I listen to a band, I try to keep an open mind, I try to go in as unbiased as possible, but even with that mindset, I was still sickened by this album.

Read more ››
published 31.01.2012 | Comments (0)

Comments

Comments: 27   Visited by: 362 users
30.07.2011 - 02:48
Lit. Metalhead
Account deleted
*Waiting for Cynic Metalhead to show up, ignore review, call this best work by SS yet and follow it with 10/10 and \m/*
30.07.2011 - 03:00
Panzerchrist
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 30.07.2011 at 02:48

*Waiting for Cynic Metalhead to show up, ignore review, call this best work by SS yet and follow it with 10/10 and \m/*

He did all that and voted a 9.
30.07.2011 - 06:51
Void Eater
Account deleted
The Cleansing is as good as stupid br00tal deathcore can get-which isn't that good or anything, but can be enjoyable if you want to break shit and pretend to be tougher than you really are. As far as this album, a couple good songs here and there, but meh. Nothing worthwhile. Kids will ninja dance to the songs at Mayhem fest, buy the album to impress their friends and piss off their mothers, and forget about it.
30.07.2011 - 17:34
Thryce
Retired Staff
Pssh! Suiside Silence is so fake and inoffensive : Keep the trendy shit out of deathcore please!
----
Your favorite band sucks.
30.07.2011 - 17:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Thryce on 30.07.2011 at 17:34

Pssh! Suiside Silence is so fake and inoffensive : Keep the trendy shit out of deathcore please!

but then again isn't all deathcore inoffensive, fake and trendy?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.07.2011 - 19:05
JD
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.07.2011 at 17:37

Written by Thryce on 30.07.2011 at 17:34

but then again isn't all deathcore inoffensive, fake and trendy?

No
30.07.2011 - 19:43
Mattybu

Written by Guest on 30.07.2011 at 06:51

Kids will ninja dance to the songs at Mayhem fest, buy the album to impress their friends and piss off their mothers, and forget about it.

Haha, well said, well said.
31.07.2011 - 10:51
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I think this is deathcore
31.07.2011 - 15:55
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
I think its not that bad...and i'm not particularly fond of this band.
31.07.2011 - 21:32
Rating: 6
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 30.07.2011 at 02:48

Sorry didnt saw this coming but its like Wow!!!!!! I m mentioned in to your esteemed comment. *Feeling honored* btw this album is fucking good. I love the chug chug breakdowns and unnecessarily riffs, solos and being a huge fan of this hyped artist I'll say this band has picked up the fucking good direction to shoot their fame up.
01.08.2011 - 22:50
SycoMantis

I love this album. It's the aggressiveness and speed of Suicide Silence, combined with great strong structure, actual lyrics, solos, amazing riffs, definitely their best in my opinion.
02.08.2011 - 00:00
Rating: 6
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by SycoMantis on 01.08.2011 at 22:50

I love this album. It's the aggressiveness and speed of Suicide Silence, combined with great strong structure, actual lyrics, solos, amazing riffs, definitely their best in my opinion.

Yeah dude thats right. Posers like Lit Metalheads has ruined this shit up! xDD
02.08.2011 - 03:49
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 02.08.2011 at 00:00

You worship Suicide Silence, pal, knock off the "metaller than thou" shit.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
02.08.2011 - 05:21
Zealot644

Written by Doc G. on 02.08.2011 at 03:49

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 02.08.2011 at 00:00

You worship Suicide Silence, pal, knock off the "metaller than thou" shit.

QFT
02.08.2011 - 22:42
Rating: 5
Eye-Licker

Surely "Cynic Metalhead" is a troll?

first heard of Suicide Silence from a friend a few years back, he hailed it as a an awesome Grindcore band, gave The Cleansing a listen and figured it was ok (of course, i could tell from their first song that my friend obviously didn't know what Grindcore is). forgot about it a week later. now, this album? hell, i forgot about it halfway through the third song. gave it a 5, because that's the kind of "meh" it deserves; not a banging of the head or shaking of the fist, not a tirade of curses in disapproval, merely a shrug of the shoulders. this album isn't shit, but isn't good, it isn't anything, it is absolutely nothing.
02.08.2011 - 23:34
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by Eye-Licker on 02.08.2011 at 22:42

first heard of Suicide Silence from a friend a few years back, he hailed it as a an awesome Grindcore band, gave The Cleansing a listen and figured it was ok (of course, i could tell from their first song that my friend obviously didn't know what Grindcore is). forgot about it a week later. now, this album? hell, i forgot about it halfway through the third song. gave it a 5, because that's the kind of "meh" it deserves; not a banging of the head or shaking of the fist, not a tirade of curses in disapproval, merely a shrug of the shoulders. this album isn't shit, but isn't good, it isn't anything, it is absolutely nothing.

I'm guessing that the conversation with your friend went something along the lines of, "Duuuuude, check out this totally sick grindcore band Suicide Silence! They have the most brutal breakdowns ever bro!!!!!!! Fucking death metal!"

And you were probably all, "Whateves" or something.
02.08.2011 - 23:39
Rating: 5
Eye-Licker

Written by Guest on 02.08.2011 at 23:34

Written by Eye-Licker on 02.08.2011 at 22:42

I'm guessing that the conversation with your friend went something along the lines of, "Duuuuude, check out this totally sick grindcore band Suicide Silence! They have the most brutal breakdowns ever bro!!!!!!! Fucking death metal!"

And you were probably all, "Whateves" or something.

no, i like proper diction.

the aforementioned (former, actually) friend also thought Atreyu was a Death metal band, i guess i should have known better than to take his word for it.
02.08.2011 - 23:49
Void Eater
Account deleted
So he was probably like that one guy I know who thinks that TDWP and BlesstheFall are death metal bands. Oh kids these days. I don't get why people who don't know crap about metal need to use subgenres to label bands. If you don't know what subgenre a metal band is, just say it's a metal band.
03.08.2011 - 11:43
thrashtilldeaf

10/10. Almost better than master off poppets.
03.08.2011 - 12:14
Slayer666

Written by thrashtilldeaf on 03.08.2011 at 11:43

10/10. Almost better than master off poppets.

Well, you're clearly a troll. I just haven't figured out if you're ponderer or not.
03.08.2011 - 12:16
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Lol, I'm convinced that thrashtilldeaf is Cynic Metalheads long lost brother or either CM in some parallel universe
You should give the trash a break bro
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
03.08.2011 - 13:50
Tranquillizer
Account deleted
Written by Spirit Molecule on 03.08.2011 at 12:16

Lol, I'm convinced that thrashtilldeaf is Cynic Metalheads long lost brother or either CM in some parallel universe

Or its Void having some birthday fun...
03.08.2011 - 21:35
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 03.08.2011 at 13:50

Written by Spirit Molecule on 03.08.2011 at 12:16

Or its Void having some birthday fun...

Nope, I would never use MoP as a scale by which to judge albums. Has some classic tunes on it, also has some boring tunes. Weakest of the Metalliclassics for sure.
08.08.2011 - 18:52
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Don't like this shit, never liked it, and never will... Nuff said.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
23.10.2011 - 23:52
brapp32

From the few songs I've heard it seems to have a bit more of a commercial feel to it. It feels like something is lacking on this album compared to previous ones. Overall not a bad album but no need for me to rush out and buy it.
28.01.2012 - 01:07
Rating: 4
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

Utter trash, and I'm not even biased towards deathcore.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
06.11.2014 - 22:29
Rating: 9
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Meh, I don't see why all the insanely polarized opinions on this album. To me this album has the most distinctly different songs and better use of the instruments. The whole crazy death-riff thing has been done to...well death. More importantly, it has been done better and pretty much been perfected by the likes of Cannibal Corpse and Dying Fetus. I give these guys credit for melding these ideas with the more groove-driven Korn-like sound. They are obviously aware of it given Davis's contribution to the album. Rather than just trying to emulate the death style, they have made something more their own. It may not be the most unique thing ever, but I enjoy listening to this. If I want death, I'll go listen to some death.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.

Hits total: 9623 | This month: 7