Metal Storm logo
American Power Metal vs European Power Metal

Poll

Which Style of Power Metal is your favorite?

European Power Metal
American Power Metal

Total votes: 72
07.08.2011 - 05:53
Metal_4Ever
Power Metal is one of the main genres of Metal and has a huge fan-base and Power Metal refers to two different but related styles: the first pioneered and largely practiced in North America with a harder sound similar to speed metal and symphonic metal and also known as US Power Metal, and a later more widespread and popular style based in Europe (especially Germany, Italy, Scandinavia).
And here some of American Power Metal bands: Iced Earth, Kamelot, Symphony X, Manowar.
Some of European Power Metal bands: Children Of Boddom, Blind Guardian, Halloween, Nightwish.
For me American PM is closer to my heart than European, so what about you guys?
07.08.2011 - 16:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Definitly US , I have been told about it many times and I dont want to repite my self, I hardly like Euro flower metal , Black Abyss, Old Stratovarius, Blind Guardian ....I dont concider 80's HM bands Grave Digger, Rage, Running Wild, MP, Vanadium power, its heavy , euro power flower are cheesy freedom call, strato, sonata and so on, US old Panther, Attacker, Liege Lord, ....Rico could fill list better kick big time more ass how cheesy euro flower.... even pop radio can play Edguy but never will play Liege Lord
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.08.2011 - 18:54
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
U.S. mostly for Kamelot. I love the golden age of Sonata Arctica, Blind Guardian, Avantasia, Stratovarius, Rhapsody and Nightwish, but even back when all those bands were still young and fresh they still didn't come close to Kamelot's holy trilogy (Karma, Epica, The Black Halo). I also really like Iced Earth and Symphony X, even though the latter are more prog than power.
07.08.2011 - 19:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 07.08.2011 at 18:54

U.S. mostly for Kamelot. I love the golden age of Sonata Arctica, Blind Guardian, Avantasia, Stratovarius, Rhapsody and Nightwish, but even back when all those bands were still young and fresh they still didn't come close to Kamelot's holy trilogy (Karma, Epica, The Black Halo). I also really like Iced Earth and Symphony X, even though the latter are more prog than power.

kamelot from all great USPM bands you pick up who's sucks most
----

apos;'
[image]
07.08.2011 - 19:08
Metal_4Ever
Written by Irritable Ted on 07.08.2011 at 13:51

Go to be Euro for me. More melodic, more widdly guitar solos, more symphonic. Maybe the quality isn't what it used to be though.

Even though Kamelot are American, I would say their style is more Euro.

I'd say like bad English really, US is the Source of Power Metal in the first place
even Euro more melodic and more symphonic Originally most if not all of symphonic metal bands from europe (The Netherlands) but the U.S. steel himself issued the art to the europe
07.08.2011 - 19:21
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 07.08.2011 at 19:07

kamelot from all great USPM bands you pick up who's sucks most

Apparently our taste differs quite a bit. Nothing I can't live with.
07.08.2011 - 19:24
@gent_-_orange
Easily American power metal IMO I think Euro PM is filled with too much Keyboard laden "flower metal" which makes it inferior for me.
08.08.2011 - 00:19
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
I'll never be able to get into cheesy euro power. Also, I like some US bands like Agent Steel, Liege Lord and Riot.
08.08.2011 - 00:21
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by Metal_4Ever on 07.08.2011 at 19:08

Go to be Euro for me. More melodic, more widdly guitar solos, more symphonic. Maybe the quality isn't what it used to be though.

I'd say like bad English really, US is the Source of Power Metal in the first place
even Euro more melodic and more symphonic Originally most if not all of symphonic metal bands from europe (The Netherlands) but the U.S. steel himself issued the art to the europe

I don't think the examples you gave for US power are good. Add Liege Lord and Agent Steel maybe. Remove Kamelot and Symphony X.
The first is symphonic, the second is prog.
08.08.2011 - 00:29
Enissa
Definitely European, even though Kamelot (my fav band of all time) are US based, but they play European Power, and this poll for genre not Country, but Still US Power is closer to Heavy Metal, like Manowar and Iced Earth, their music is somehow doesnt have that speed and melody that European one has, its more heavy like.
08.08.2011 - 00:30
Nyoink
I used to like euro power metal, but i find it too flowerish now... still i like listening bands like old Helloween though...
08.08.2011 - 00:31
Metal_4Ever
Written by Guest on 08.08.2011 at 00:21

I don't think the examples you gave for US power are good. Add Liege Lord and Agent Steel maybe. Remove Kamelot and Symphony X.

Kamelot isn't Symphonic band without their last tow albums (Ghost Opera, Poetry For The Poisoned)
Symphony X yeah they are closer to prog but still they're called power metal somewhat
and the tow bands that you gave them to me are closer to Thrash not Power Metal
08.08.2011 - 00:34
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by Metal_4Ever on 08.08.2011 at 00:31

Kamelot isn't Symphonic band without their last tow albums (Ghost Opera, Poetry For The Poisoned)
Symphony X yeah they are closer to prog but still they're called power metal somewhat

US power is very thrashy indeed: Choose from these:
http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/index.php?b_where=s.style&b_what=Power&prefix=US
Kamelot and Symphony X IMO :
08.08.2011 - 00:35
Metal_4Ever
Written by Nyoink on 08.08.2011 at 00:30

I used to like euro power metal, but i find it too flowerish now... still i like listening bands like old Helloween though...

And where did your vote go?
08.08.2011 - 00:41
Metal_4Ever
Written by Guest on 08.08.2011 at 00:34

US power is very thrashy indeed: Choose from these:
http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/index.php?b_where=s.style&b_what=Power&prefix=US
Kamelot and Symphony X IMO :

Well I've just seen this list all of them US Power Metal except the first band doing thrash which is in #9 and which is you gave it to me.
Kamelot, Symphony X are not playing US Power Metal but they're an american power metal band
08.08.2011 - 09:38
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
While I prefer the US style, I'd say that as that particular variety of Power metal is limited in quantity the Euro style has far more to offer, some of which is of roughly equal quality. So I guess I'd vote for the European style.
08.08.2011 - 13:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Someone said this ''even Euro more melodic and more symphonic''
I would say every early EPM band albums including Freeodm Call, Helloween, Gamma Ray, and ever Ed Guy 1th and many cases secend album is good, but leithly they fuck up whit more melodies, more non sence, more comercalaising to pop charts and leither even give up long hair and black t shirt to pop style fasion .... somehow USPM bands try stay true sound and old school more how Euro
----

apos;'
[image]
08.08.2011 - 17:52
Nyoink
Written by Metal_4Ever on 08.08.2011 at 00:31

my vote went to the american power metal, duh
13.08.2011 - 12:08
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
I like both. American PM is in general more agressive than european but that doesn't make it better. There are good and bad bands everywhere.
15.08.2011 - 01:09
strade
Euro would naturally win since this is a popularity contest, but the US has masterpieces like Crimson Glory, Transcendence, Operation: Mindcrime, The Spectre Within, Awaken the Guardian, and Hall of the Mountain King. No question: gotta go with my favorite genre of all time, US Power Metal.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
15.08.2011 - 20:59
Berserk
I personally find American PM really boring (except for Manowar). Hammerfall, Helloween, Blind Gaurdian, Gamma Ray, Stratovarius, etc.. IMO are way better than any American Power band.
----
Fear the Old Blood
26.08.2011 - 11:52
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Voted for Euro because of the classic power/speed and symphonic stuffs like Blind Guardian and Fairyland, but still Symphony X is one of my fav bands and both Iced Earth and Kamelot is awesome. So both are good
----
26.08.2011 - 17:21
Glaucus
Written by Berserk on 15.08.2011 at 20:59

I personally find American PM really boring (except for Manowar). Hammerfall, Helloween, Blind Gaurdian, Gamma Ray, Stratovarius, etc.. IMO are way better than any American Power band.

I agree. Though, I think my definition of Power Metal is a bit estranged from what I've been reading on this thread... Either way, though I am from the States, my tastes will always lean towards European. I really can't stand most of the stuff from Iced Earth and Symphony X, but Kamelot is pretty excellent.

Even so, I will cast my vote to European Power Metal.
----
"Pretty easy work, for a God." - Freya ~ Valkyrie Profile
14.11.2011 - 00:27
humberto25
Greetings to all.
I like both styles, but most prefer American power metal, being more original.
I like also Europe, bands like, Paradox, Angel Dust, Helloween (1985), Running Wild (decade of the 80)
referring to bands such as Rhapsody of Fire, Stratovarius and Dragon Force. Not are Power Metal, as the main features were a heavy riff and powerful. and these bands mentioned contain more melodies, symphonies, and mostly do not contain Powerchords. Angel Dust is an example of Melodic Power Metal.
25.11.2011 - 21:15
Hellish Star
US Power Metal all the way! None of those European bands can hook up with the musicianship and darkness of those American bands. Helstar, Liege Lord, Jag Panzer, Deadly Blessing, Attacker, Steel Prophet, Metal Church, Outworld, Darkology, Iced Earth,Sanctuary, Leatherwolf, New Eden, Oracle, Ritual, Mystik, Mystic Force, Spirit Web, Vainglory,.....
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
25.11.2011 - 21:26
Metal_4Ever
Written by Hellish Star on 25.11.2011 at 21:15

Helstar, Liege Lord, Jag Panzer, Deadly Blessing, Attacker, Steel Prophet, Metal Church, Outworld, Darkology, Iced Earth,Sanctuary, Leatherwolf, New Eden, Oracle, Ritual, Mystik, Mystic Force, Spirit Web, Vainglory,.....

Nice choices ..!!
25.11.2011 - 21:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I don't listen to power metal but I do find the Americans to be better at what they do. The US style seems more edgy, serious, aggressive, complex, and all-around more direct. The Euro-style is too soft and fluffy for my tastes.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.11.2011 - 21:31
Hellish Star
Written by Troy Killjoy on 25.11.2011 at 21:26

I don't listen to power metal but I do find the Americans to be better at what they do. The US style seems more edgy, serious, aggressive, complex, and all-around more direct. The Euro-style is too soft and fluffy for my tastes.

Hail to Zimbabwe
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
25.11.2011 - 21:39
Metal_4Ever
Written by Hellish Star on 25.11.2011 at 21:31

Hail to Zimbabwe

25.11.2011 - 21:42
JÄY
Metal slave
USPM owns. Agent steel, ADX (eventhough their not from US), Cage, Omen, Zandelle, Dark Empire, Destiny's End, Manilla Road, Oblivion, Pharaoh and Sacred Oath!