04. Glass Roses
05. Beast Of Bourbon
06. Kill The Liars
07. Unholy Foe
08. Suicide Belt
09. Dullards Creed
10. Scars
11. Blacked Out In Broad Daylight

Regardless of whatever genre certain bands fall into, I find metal (well, even music as a whole for that matter), can be put into one of two categories; the cerebral, and the primal. On one side you've got the technical, in-depth thinky music meant to cater to our more intellectual moments. Then, on the flipside, there's the simplistic stuff that skips over any pretense of deeper thought, and sates that lust for something heavy and pounding to rattle our guts. Most bands, although generally leaning in one direction or another, show at least a few signs of both sides of the coin. Then, we come across bands like Hail! Hornet who clearly ate their fair share of Wheaties each morning during recording and decided just to beastify the album with nothing but heavy grooves & aggressive riffs.

So this isn't fair, really. What we've got here is basically a super-team of sludge metallers from bands such as Weedeater, Buzzov*en, and Alabama Thunderpussy. It's rigged, people. Comparing this to almost any other sludge album this year is like seeing that long-awaited celebrity boxing match of Mr. T vs Mr. Rogers. Except Mr. Rogers is wielding a chainsaw. There might be some heavy-hitters out there, but any living entity with the mental instability of Mr. Rogers given a chainsaw is just going to straight-up ruin everything.

Oh right...I have to describe the sound. An essential part of a review, I suppose. It's really comparable to early High On Fire, but with a thicker, grimier sound (yes, such a thing is possible, as proven here). Yes, it's sludge, no, it isn't that primarily slow doomy crap either. Ok, so maybe the doom-sludge isn't so bad, it just seems to be everywhere these days. It's always a beautiful thing when a band can combine that syrupy-thick sludgification with some high speed assault. There is a few of those slow, pounding moments scattered throughout, but are really kept to a minimum to where they can do the most damage, and sound the most gruesomely evil (see "Dullards Creed" as the best example).

On the scale of things awesome, Disperse The Curse is tied with winning at drunken ski-ball, and getting an extra Oreo in your lunch.

Written on 09.08.2011 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 243 users
09.08.2011 - 03:14
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Weeeee spotify has this. will be checking out tongiht!
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.08.2011 - 10:25
AXA

I will hear this album when finished . hope so i will hear some think new &good .
09.08.2011 - 11:40
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by BitterCOld on 09.08.2011 at 03:14

so what's the thing with spotify and why is it so great? (sorry for off-topicness)
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
09.08.2011 - 17:57
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Oh I heard this on their bandcamp page, really cool stuff. Not sure if I would rate it so highly though, but definitely going to give it more listens.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
09.08.2011 - 20:16
oroboros

Fuck yeah its good, its got 'Dixie' Dave Collins.
10.08.2011 - 00:23
malaikat

Written by K✞ulu on 09.08.2011 at 11:40

so what's the thing with spotify and why is it so great? (sorry for off-topicness)

Honestly, I think Google Music is slightly better. It's completely free, you upload your own music, and you have (free) Android application. I mean, Spotify is nice, but a free version of it a has ads and 20 hour limit and you'll basically need Premium version sooner or later - on other hand, GMusic is all free, all the music you want, anytime, anywhere. Downside is that you have to upload it yourself, but what the heck. I like Spotify because it gives me chance to "test-listen" some bands I've never listened to without the need to buy/download their music, but overall, I give the advantage to GMusic.
10.08.2011 - 03:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
To me this sounds like the transition band from Coal Chamber to DevilDriver. Try skipping between the three bands and have a looksee.
10.08.2011 - 18:58
nb

Written by malaikat on 10.08.2011 at 00:23

Honestly, I think Google Music is slightly better. It's completely free, you upload your own music, and you have (free) Android application. I mean, Spotify is nice, but a free version of it a has ads and 20 hour limit and you'll basically need Premium version sooner or later - on other hand, GMusic is all free, all the music you want, anytime, anywhere. Downside is that you have to upload it yourself, but what the heck. I like Spotify because it gives me chance to "test-listen" some bands I've never listened to without the need to buy/download their music, but overall, I give the advantage to GMusic.

Sorry to continue off topic. I had not heard from Google Music, but is sounds interesting. There is another similar service, where you can upload your own music, and you can also listen to other people's music that is available: it is called Grooveshark.
10.08.2011 - 22:22
malaikat

Written by nb on 10.08.2011 at 18:58

Sorry to continue off topic. I had not heard from Google Music, but is sounds interesting. There is another similar service, where you can upload your own music, and you can also listen to other people's music that is available: it is called Grooveshark.

Sorry too for continuing off topic
Yes, I've heard of Grooveshark, but, like Spotify, it isn't actually free (10 bucks a month for an unlimited acces). Google Music is still in beta, but it works pretty well even now, and ofcourse it's FREE
11.08.2011 - 21:28
nb

Written by malaikat on 10.08.2011 at 22:22

Written by nb on 10.08.2011 at 18:58

Sorry too for continuing off topic
Yes, I've heard of Grooveshark, but, like Spotify, it isn't actually free (10 bucks a month for an unlimited acces). Google Music is still in beta, but it works pretty well even now, and ofcourse it's FREE

I don't pay anything to use Grooveshark....
27.08.2011 - 10:51
Merchant of Doom

In disagreement with the reviewer, I found the slower parts to be the best ones... the rest is pretty generic, boring stuff. I suppose it's too "stonerish" for me...

Hits total: 7210 | This month: 3