07. Living In The Past
08. Christine
09. Sword Of Glory
10. Be My Baby
11. Kingdom Of The Worm
12. Going Down
13. R.A.M.O.N.E.S. [Sanctuary bonus]
14. Whiplash [Metallica cover] [Steamhammer bonus]

Every two years, Motörhead comes with its new album. After Inferno in 2004, this is now the time to discover "Kiss Of Death" the new release of the British combo. Not really new when it comes to the music (as always with Motörhead anyway) "Kiss Of Death" is however a really good piece of "Rock N Roll" Heavy Metal and for sure, the fans will enjoy a lot this release.

"Kiss Of Death" is full of good things! We have Rock N Roll, we have angry riffs, we have bluesy stuff and even a ballad! This is a pure Motörhead album in its structure. "Sucker" is a real powerful Heavy Metal song when "Trigger" is a cool Rock N Roll (which doesn't lack of rhythm and power!) one! At the opposite, "God Was Never On Your Side" is a pure bluesy ballad. If some of you will believe that it's a bit "kitsch", I believe actually that it is a good break in the track list of the album. All in all, "Kiss Of Death" doesn't really have mega hits (except maybe "Under The Gun") but all the songs are good ones. It's not an album like "Sacrifice" or "We're Motörhead" where only some few songs (two, maybe three..) are good and the others are bad or average. As you can understand, it's Motörhead music without anything new but "Kiss Of Death" is a good album that doesn't really suffer of anything except its lack of originality, but I suppose that you were not expecting something original here anyway right?

When it comes to the production, "Kiss Of Death" is solid as rock. Well, the cover, as you can see, is a pure one in the style of the band, and even if it's unoriginal as hell, I really believe that it still rocks. The sound is also really good too and to be honest I didn't find anything especially wrong on this release. You just have to imagine the music of our British heroes with some modern technical means (damn if it could be possible to have an "Overkill" with this kind of production?I know, it could kill its charm but two possibilities could be great too ) and you can imagine how it can sound.

Kiss Of Death is not a revolution in the discography of the British monsters. But one more time Lemmy and his two mates knew how to write a real "in your face" album. If you like Inferno, or if you just like the good songs of Motörhead in general I'm sure that you'll love this album. Maybe that they're not so young, maybe they're not so pretty?but they still know how to kick our asses?

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 10

Written by Jeff | 29.09.2006

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 127 users
29.09.2006 - 17:06
Der Meister
Account deleted
Very good album indeed! I think it's one of Motörhead's finest releases.
29.09.2006 - 20:21
Richard

Good review Jeff. I haven't heard the album yet, but generally speaking you can't go wrong with Motorhead so I'll check it out.
----
29.09.2006 - 20:25
Rating: 9
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
perfect review, very good album, but not as good as inferno imo. inferno was the best.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
30.09.2006 - 00:54
Rating: 8
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
This album is awesome. I bought it on the day it came out and I've been listening to it constantly. I think the song, Be My Baby, has one of the heaviest riffs they ever wrote.
04.10.2006 - 15:26
Rating: 10
.:Jux:.

10/10 from me. If rock'n roll were a man, it would be Lemmy
04.10.2006 - 15:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
To me this album got old VERY quickly. At first listen I liked it, second listen liked it less, and on third listen I found to be just an average Motörhead album with Sucker being the highlight of the album, a perfect kick-off that was. And I consider it quite strange that they have R.A.M.O.N.E.S. on this album because it was already on 1916.
So, sorry to say I disagree with the review. I would rate it 6.5/10.

Now, if you won't mind I'll go back to their one true classic album... Ace of Spades.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.11.2007 - 19:00
Rating: 10
Murder

this album is great!!! I got it yesterday, and I can't stop to hear it!!

A very good rock n roll album, this is the Motorhead style, the Lemmy style, no more, these guys do their job like ever, and they do it so fucking goood!!!! . Keep rockin' guys!!!!!!

21.03.2008 - 02:00
Rating: 9
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Dangerboner on 30.09.2006 at 00:54

This album is awesome. I bought it on the day it came out and I've been listening to it constantly. I think the song, Be My Baby, has one of the heaviest riffs they ever wrote.

Agreed. Really bizarre lyrics too. There was a video for it when it first came out, now I cant find it, it was a great video for the song.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.08.2008 - 20:08
Rating: 6
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Well, I have to agree with Marcel, but for me one time was enough to realize that it's just an average Heavy Metal album...
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
01.12.2011 - 05:41
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
RAMONES? hmmm....

Hits total: 8121 | This month: 7