Metal Storm logo
Space Metal!

***Currently working through suggestions and adding some spacey non-metal things when they cross my mind***
As a lover of all things sci-fi I find metal to be the most accommodating of genres when it comes to themes of space/aliens. This is a list of those albums which use this theme and/or evoke an overall 'spacey' atmosphere and which I find particularly intriguing and enjoyable. No order for now and a work in progress (recommendations most welcome) Last Updated: 9th April 2014

Created by: R'Vannith | 25.06.2011

1. Atoma - Skylight
Genre: Atmospheric/Post
2. Ayreon - The Universal Migrator Part I: The Dream Sequencer
Genre: Progressive
3. Dol Ammad - Star Tales
Genre: Progressive/Electronic/Symphonic
4. Star One - Space Metal
5. Pagan's Mind - Enigmatic : Calling
Genre: Progressive Power
6. Slough Feg - Traveller
Genre: Heavy
7. Vintersorg - Cosmic Genesis
8. Oranssi Pazuzu - Valonielu
Genre: Psychedelic Black
9. Angst Skvadron - Flukt
Genre: Avantgarde
10. Devin Townsend - Ziltoid The Omniscient
Genre: Industrial Progressive
11. ---Black---
12. Alrakis - Alpha Eri
Genre: Ambient Black
13. Apocynthion - Sidereus Nuncius
Genre: Post Black/Blackgaze
14. Bal-Sagoth - The Power Cosmic
Genre: Symphonic Black/ Power
15. Darkspace - III
16. Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse
Genre: Black
17. Midnight Odyssey - Funerals From The Astral Sphere
18. Murmuüre - Murmuüre
Genre: Nintendo Martian Black (Psychedelic Ambient Black)
19. Obsidian Gate - The Nightspectral Voyage
Genre: Symphonic Black
20. Oranssi Pazuzu - Muukalainen Puhuu
21. Oranssi Pazuzu - Kosmonument
22. Progenie Terrestre Pura - U​.​M​.​A.
Genre: Atmospheric/Progressive Black
23. The Kovenant - Nexus Polaris
Genre: Melodic Black
24. ---Death---
25. Hypocrisy - Virus
Genre: Melodic Death
26. Hypocrisy - The Arrival
27. Lunarsea - Hundred Light Years
28. Nightfall - Astron Black And The Thirty Tyrants
29. Nightfall - Cassiopeia
30. Nocturnus - The Key
Genre: Atmospheric Death
31. Obscura - Cosmogenesis
Genre: Technical Death
32. Obscura - Omnivium
33. Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe
34. The Faceless - Planetary Duality
35. Tiamat - The Astral Sleep
Genre: Gothic/Death
36. ---Doom---
37. Dolorian - Voidwards
Genre: Doom
38. Enshine - Origin
Genre: Atmospheric/Melodic Doom
39. Ixion - To The Void
Genre: Atmospheric Doom
40. Monolithe - Monolithe II
Genre: Funeral Doom
41. Monolithe - Monolithe III
Genre: Funeral Doom
42. ---Gothic---
43. Darkseed - Astral Adventures
Genre: Gothic
44. ---Hard Rock---
45. Joe Satriani - Surfing With The Alien
Genre: Instrumental/Hard Rock
46. ---Heavy---
47. Atomkraft - Future Warriors
Genre: NWOBHM
48. Iron Maiden - Brave New World
49. Sacred Blade - Of The Sun + Moon
Genre: Progressive/Heavy
50. Slough Feg - Hardworlder
51. Steelwing - Zone Of Alienation
52. ---Industrial---
53. Bloodstar - Anytime Anywhere
Genre: Industrial/Thrash/Doom
54. Blood Stain Child - εpsilon
Genre: Melodic Death/Trance
55. Combat Astronomy - Kundalini Apocalypse
Genre: Djent/Industrial
56. Frederik Thordendal's Special Defects - Sol Niger Within
Genre: Industrial/Thrash
57. Mechina - Empyrean
Genre: Symphonic/Industrial/Death
58. Screams Of Chaos - Genetic War
Genre: Viking Cyber (I kid you not, that's what they called it)
59. Waltari - Space Avenue
Genre: Industrial/Crossover
60. ---Post---
61. Rosetta - The Galilean Satellites
Genre: Sludge/Post-Rock
62. ---Power---
63. Dragonland - Astronomy
Genre: Symphonic Power
64. Edenbridge - Aphelion
65. Edenbridge - Arcana
66. Gamma Ray - Somewhere Out In Space
Genre: Power
67. Iron Fire - Voyage Of The Damned
68. Iron Savior - Unification
69. Keldian - Journey Of Souls
70. Pagan's Mind - Celestial Entrance
71. Pagan's Mind - Infinity Divine
72. Pathfinder - Fifth Element
73. Primal Fear - Black Sun
74. Scanner - Hypertrace
75. ---Progressive/Avantgarde---
76. Alchemist - Austral Alien
77. Andromeda - Extension Of The Wish
78. Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors
Genre: Avantgarde Black
79. Arcturus - Sideshow Symphonies
Genre: Avantgarde Black
80. Ayreon - The Human Equation
81. Ayreon - The Universal Migrator Part 2: Flight Of The Migrator
82. Ayreon - Into The Electric Castle
83. Ayreon - 01011001
84. Between The Buried And Me - The Parallax II: Future Sequence
Genre: Progressive/Metalcore
85. Cave In - Jupiter
Genre: Alternative/Avantgarde
86. Dan Swanö - Moontower
Genre: Progressive Death
87. Dol Ammad - Cosmic Gods: Episode I - Hyperspeed
Genre: Progressive/Symphonic/Electronic
88. Dol Ammad - Ocean Dynamics
Genre: Progressive/Electronic/Symphonic
89. Evergrey - Solitude, Dominance, Tragedy
90. Gojira - From Mars To Sirius
Genre: Progressive Death
91. Jupiter Society - First Contact//Last Warning
92. Jupiter Society - Terraform
93. Odd Dimension - Symmetrical
94. OSI - Fire Make Thunder
95. Oxiplegatz - Sidereal Journey
96. Planet X - MoonBabies
Genre: Instrumental/Progressive
97. Planet X - Quantum
98. Planet X - Universe
99. Psychotic Waltz - Into The Everflow
100. Star One - Victims Of The Modern Age
101. Threshold - Critical Mass
102. Transcending Bizarre? - The Serpent's Manifolds
Genre: Avantgarde/Symphonic Black
103. Transcending Bizarre? - The Misanthrope's Fable
Genre: Avantgarde/Symphonic Black
104. Voivod - The Outer Limits
105. Zero Hour - The Towers Of Avarice
106. ---Sludge---
107. Bison B.C. - Quiet Earth
Genre: Sludge
108. Sunpocrisy - Samaroid Dioramas
Genre: Post/Sludge
109. ---Stoner---
110. Beastwars - Blood Becomes Fire
Genre: Sludge/Stoner
111. Mastodon - Crack The Skye
Genre: Stoner
112. Nebula - Apollo
113. New Keepers Of The Water Towers - The Cosmic Child
Genre: Progressive/Stoner
114. The Sword - Warp Riders
115. Ufomammut - Idolum
Genre: Psychedelic/Stoner
116. Ufomammut - Oro - Opus Primum
117. Ufomammut - Oro - Opus Alter
118. ---Thrash---
119. Agent Steel - Alienigma
Genre: Speed/Thrash
120. Children - Hard Times Hanging At The End Of The World
Genre: Psychedelic Thrash
121. Target - Master Project Genesis
Genre: Progressive/Technical Thrash
122. Vektor - Black Future
Genre: Thrash
123. Vektor - Outer Isolation
Genre: Thrash
124. ---Non-metal---
125. Pyramids - Pyramids
Genre: wtf Ambient
126. Solaris - Marsbéli Krónikák (The Martian Chronicles)
Genre: Symphonic Progressive Rock
127. Jaïa - Blue Energy
Genre: Psytrance/Psybient
128. Klaus Schulze - Timewind
Genre: Ambient/Electronic
129. Tangerine Dream - Phaedra
Genre: Ambient/Electronic
130. Sonar - Celluloid
Genre: Post-Rock
131. Eloy - Silent Cries And Mighty Echoes
Genre: Progressive/Space Rock
132. Hawkwind - Warrior On The Edge Of Time
Genre: Psychedelic/Space Rock
133. Ozric Tentacles - Swirly Termination
134. Hidria Spacefolk - Symbiosis

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by R'Vannith ]

Comments page 4 / 6

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 158   Visited by: 852 users
29.07.2013 - 05:14
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by ldac89 on 29.07.2013 at 03:43

Great list!!! as a fan of the genre feel the urge to contribute with some albums for your pleasure.

Dol ammad: Ocean Dynamics

Jupiter Society: Terraform

Jupiter Society: From Endangered To Extinct

Gru:Cosmogenesis

Blood Stain Child: Epsilon

Thanks! I have no idea why Ocean Dynamics isn't on here already, it's one of my favourite albums, what the hell.

I'll check out those suggestions and more from Jupiter Society, I've only heard the album that's up there already.

Oh and with those youtube links you need to grab the bit after the v= and paste it like this, without spaces: [ youtube]Fj752GA64Oo[/ youtube]
29.07.2013 - 08:15
ldac89

Thanks, edited the videos, keep updating this list, is the 12th in thumbs up at this site already!!!
09.08.2013 - 22:09
Zap
How are Lascaille's Shroud and Obscura not on here yet? And how did I not notice their absence last time I came here?
Also, U.M.A.'s link isn't working, might wanna fix that because the artwork is awesome.
10.08.2013 - 04:50
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Zap on 09.08.2013 at 22:09

How are Lascaille's Shroud and Obscura not on here yet? And how did I not notice their absence last time I came here?
Also, U.M.A.'s link isn't working, might wanna fix that because the artwork is awesome.

The first "Interval" by Lascaille's Shroud was an effort to listen to, its very ambitious in scope but I don't think they pulled it off all that well. Perhaps their debut (or I see there's one upcoming in December) might be more rewarding. This list needs more tech death in general, so I'll add Obscura. Based on my cursory listens into the genre it seems that sci-fi themes fit well there.
10.08.2013 - 11:39
Zap
Written by R'Vannith on 10.08.2013 at 04:50

The first "Interval" by Lascaille's Shroud was an effort to listen to, its very ambitious in scope but I don't think they pulled it off all that well. Perhaps their debut (or I see there's one upcoming in December) might be more rewarding. This list needs more tech death in general, so I'll add Obscura. Based on my cursory listens into the genre it seems that sci-fi themes fit well there.

Yup, there's a lot of sci-fi in tech death, though I don't listen to the genre that much since a lot of it is just technical for the sake of being technical. Obscura is one of the few I think pulls off tech death with some taste to it, though there is some undeniable "wanking". And I disagree on Lascaille's Shroud, but since I'm the only one that seems to be keeping their profile up to date here on Metal Storm I'm assuming most people would agree with you I think he (it's only one person) did manage to pull it off.
PS: did you check out Between The Buried And Me's Parallax? I recommended that a few months ago.
10.08.2013 - 16:53
MechanisT
Account deleted
Did someone say tech death?

Gigan and Origin should suit the theme, I reckon.
10.08.2013 - 17:01
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Zap on 10.08.2013 at 11:39

Written by R'Vannith on 10.08.2013 at 04:50

Yup, there's a lot of sci-fi in tech death, though I don't listen to the genre that much since a lot of it is just technical for the sake of being technical. Obscura is one of the few I think pulls off tech death with some taste to it, though there is some undeniable "wanking". And I disagree on Lascaille's Shroud, but since I'm the only one that seems to be keeping their profile up to date here on Metal Storm I'm assuming most people would agree with you I think he (it's only one person) did manage to pull it off.
PS: did you check out Between The Buried And Me's Parallax? I recommended that a few months ago.

Well being solely the ideas of one guy makes it all the more ambitious, gotta give him credit for doing it of his own inspiration, woah.
When things get overly technical "wanking" seems to be a common accusation and one that seems fitting in certain situations I encounter in my own listens. Sometimes I wonder though whether a musician/band are being blatantly showy or whether its just me not particularly enjoying the music they're creating, though I suppose one inevitably leads to the other. Where's the line you know? Where do I point and say, "Yep, look what they're doing there. Bloody wankers"

I had a listen to BTBAM a while ago, didn't leave much of an impression. I'm not sure whether its the metalcore in it or whether its as Ktulu described in his review here, a tough nut to crack. I'm hoping it's the latter really, as I can tell there's a lot of intricacies to it I just don't seem to sink into.

But keeping an open mind I'll add it I think, after all it is space themed.
10.08.2013 - 17:08
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Guest on 10.08.2013 at 16:53

Did someone say tech death?

Gigan and Origin should suit the theme, I reckon.

Thanks I'll look into those, further into the genre I go!
10.08.2013 - 17:53
Zap
Written by R'Vannith on 10.08.2013 at 17:01

Well being solely the ideas of one guy makes it all the more ambitious, gotta give him credit for doing it of his own inspiration, woah.
When things get overly technical "wanking" seems to be a common accusation and one that seems fitting in certain situations I encounter in my own listens. Sometimes I wonder though whether a musician/band are being blatantly showy or whether its just me not particularly enjoying the music they're creating, though I suppose one inevitably leads to the other. Where's the line you know? Where do I point and say, "Yep, look what they're doing there. Bloody wankers"

I had a listen to BTBAM a while ago, didn't leave much of an impression. I'm not sure whether its the metalcore in it or whether its as Ktulu described in his review here, a tough nut to crack. I'm hoping it's the latter really, as I can tell there's a lot of intricacies to it I just don't seem to sink into.

But keeping an open mind I'll add it I think, after all it is space themed.

Well, I call something wanking when I feel the band is just showing off without paying attention to how good it sounds or how well it fits the song. As I said, when they're being technical for the sake of being technical and not technical for the sake of the composition. That being said, I like a lot of technical music so I won't easily call something wanking where someone else would, but I do find myself thinking it often in tech death.
And about BTBAM, I didn't think it was that tough to get into, so it might just not be your thing I don't like metalcore either though, but that album's one of the few in the genre that I can listen to.
12.08.2013 - 08:06
Mr. Blonde

I love the theme of the list, and lots of good stuff on it, but needs more Iron Savior. Their whole discography is a long, continuing Sci-Fi story. They are the first band I thought of when I saw this list. Also this list needs Vector!

And BtBAM are not wankers!! Alexi Wildchild Laiho isn't in that band the last time that I checked. That dude is wankamania.

AS far as BtBAM being "space metal". There is actually a lot more depth to their lyrics. They are complex like that, what seems like it's about one thing may actually be about something else.

You should add Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe to this list though.
12.08.2013 - 09:00
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Mr. Blonde on 12.08.2013 at 08:06

I love the theme of the list, and lots of good stuff on it, but needs more Iron Savior. Their whole discography is a long, continuing Sci-Fi story. They are the first band I thought of when I saw this list. Also this list needs Vector!

And BtBAM are not wankers!! Alexi Wildchild Laiho isn't in that band the last time that I checked. That dude is wankamania.

AS far as BtBAM being "space metal". There is actually a lot more depth to their lyrics. They are complex like that, what seems like it's about one thing may actually be about something else.

You should add Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe to this list though.

Thanks, been meaning to add Iron Saviour for a while, only got to it just recently. I might select a few more of theirs to add, rather than the whole lot.
Do you mean the Vektor with a k, the thrash band? If so they're already up there.

I think there's more to BtBAM that I've yet to uncover, music wise as well as lyrically. They certainly seem complex without resorting to all that "wanking" so I hope at some point I can appreciate it.
22.08.2013 - 12:38
Zap
Written by Mr. Blonde on 12.08.2013 at 08:06

No one said they were wankers, that was about tech death.
22.08.2013 - 22:04
Erik M.

Why is In The Nightside Eclipse on this list? I hope it's not simply because of its 3rd track which has the word "cosmic" in it.

Then Limbonic Art - In Abhorrence Dementia is a way better choice if you look at the artwork: http://metalartwork.free.fr/images/pochettes2/tailleoriginale2/big1/Limbonic_Art_-_In_Abhorrence_Dementia.jpg. I own the album but sadly can't find the remaining artwork... well, believe me when I say it's really awesome.

Furthermore, I'd still suggest ranking the albums alphabetically or at least according to genre. Your call though...
24.08.2013 - 15:39
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Erik M. on 22.08.2013 at 22:04

Why is In The Nightside Eclipse on this list? I hope it's not simply because of its 3rd track which has the word "cosmic" in it.

Then Limbonic Art - In Abhorrence Dementia is a way better choice if you look at the artwork: http://metalartwork.free.fr/images/pochettes2/tailleoriginale2/big1/Limbonic_Art_-_In_Abhorrence_Dementia.jpg. I own the album but sadly can't find the remaining artwork... well, believe me when I say it's really awesome.

Furthermore, I'd still suggest ranking the albums alphabetically or at least according to genre. Your call though...

It hasn't anything to do with sci-fi really so I questioned putting that one on the list but I think it has a partially spacey sound at least, the symphonic elements and keys give it that at points. You disagree I take it? It does have cosmic in it though And "Nightsky" if that counts too

That's fitting artwork, does it reflect the sound in anyway though? I'll check it out.

According to genre is best.. eventually I'll get on it. Soon in fact, I'll let you know when I do. As always though thanks for the pointers.
24.08.2013 - 17:01
Erik M.

Written by R'Vannith on 24.08.2013 at 15:39

It hasn't anything to do with sci-fi really so I questioned putting that one on the list but I think it has a partially spacey sound at least, the symphonic elements and keys give it that at points. You disagree I take it? It does have cosmic in it though And "Nightsky" if that counts too

That's fitting artwork, does it reflect the sound in anyway though? I'll check it out.

According to genre is best.. eventually I'll get on it. Soon in fact, I'll let you know when I do. As always though thanks for the pointers.

I understand what you're saying, but I indeed think it doesn't really belong on this list (like The Human Equation ).

In Abhorrence Dementia might belong on this list, but I'm not sure. You're better at recognizing space metal than me obviously, but it's more fitting than In The Nightside Eclipse I think, due to artwork, but also the lyrics. Check out that album nonetheless, because it's a masterpiece. When it comes to symphonic black metal, it's probably my #1 album, beating Emperor's first two legendary albums as well as quite a few other classics. Check out this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLMF3QtK34Y (damn, I just love those "bell" sounds and those cries of agony). That one might be my favourite on the album, though all songs are almost as great as that one.

Anyway, looking forward to see an improved version of this list.
24.08.2013 - 17:52
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Erik M. on 24.08.2013 at 17:01

I understand what you're saying, but I indeed think it doesn't really belong on this list (like The Human Equation ).

In Abhorrence Dementia might belong on this list, but I'm not sure. You're better at recognizing space metal than me obviously, but it's more fitting than In The Nightside Eclipse I think, due to artwork, but also the lyrics. Check out that album nonetheless, because it's a masterpiece. When it comes to symphonic black metal, it's probably my #1 album, beating Emperor's first two legendary albums as well as quite a few other classics. Check out this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLMF3QtK34Y (damn, I just love those "bell" sounds and those cries of agony). That one might be my favourite on the album, though all songs are almost as great as that one.

Anyway, looking forward to see an improved version of this list.

It's usually the style of the keyboards more than anything else which triggers my space-o-meter. That and other layered effects. Listening to that that Limbonic Art example.. it fits my idea of space metal I think so I'll be looking into them further, hopefully they impress me as much along the way as they've done for you.

Black metal isn't my forte so I'm sure there are many albums/bands that play within the genre I'm not aware of whom I'd find fitting for the list.

And no I'm not better at spotting space metal Everyone has differing responses to music and all the selections here are down to my own interpretation, including that infamous Human Equation addition. All these albums have a sound I would describe as "spacey", obviously if you disagree with particular additions your idea of space metal differs to mine in some way. Doesn't make my ears superior to yours by any means.
25.09.2013 - 15:56
D. Monique

Do you know Oxiplegatz? I'm sure that at least their third album Sidereal Journey will fit in your list. It was a one-man band of Alf Svensson (ex At the Gates, Diabolique, Grotesque and Liers in Wait).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSkxaEiuB_E
25.09.2013 - 17:09
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by D. Monique on 25.09.2013 at 15:56

Do you know Oxiplegatz? I'm sure that at least their third album Sidereal Journey will fit in your list. It was a one-man band of Alf Svensson (ex At the Gates, Diabolique, Grotesque and Liers in Wait).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSkxaEiuB_E

Nope, but I wasn't expecting something like that, a very peculiar sound, it's interesting how there are little "pockets" of melodeath in there though it largely sounds like avantgarde black to me. Those synths are quirky and delicious! Theme alone has them fitting well on this list, thanks for the suggestion.
26.09.2013 - 14:40
D. Monique

I'm glad that you like that album. I've got two more tips for you:

Demimonde - Mutant Star
You can listen to all tracks from this album here:
https://myspace.com/demimonde2000/music/songs

Dark Gamballe - Dark Gamballe (1998)
You can legally download the whole album from their official website (for free):
http://www.darkgamballe.cz/dg-alba
To avoid any confusion, it is the album which starts with the song So Excuse (DGL-3), just click on the button ?Stahnout". It's probably the only album from their discography I would recommend to you. Their early stuff was just generic death metal and after their most experimental albums Under The Bottom, Dark Gamballe and Robotory, they changed their style and became more commercial.
27.09.2013 - 17:46
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by D. Monique on 26.09.2013 at 14:40

I'm glad that you like that album. I've got two more tips for you:

Demimonde - Mutant Star
You can listen to all tracks from this album here:
https://myspace.com/demimonde2000/music/songs

Dark Gamballe - Dark Gamballe (1998)
You can legally download the whole album from their official website (for free):
http://www.darkgamballe.cz/dg-alba
To avoid any confusion, it is the album which starts with the song So Excuse (DGL-3), just click on the button ?Stahnout". It's probably the only album from their discography I would recommend to you. Their early stuff was just generic death metal and after their most experimental albums Under The Bottom, Dark Gamballe and Robotory, they changed their style and became more commercial.

I will check those out shortly, thanks!
29.09.2013 - 13:03
Zap
This seems to be based off of the Hyperion books by Dan Simmons, judging from the song titles. That at least makes the lyrical content space related. Decide for yourself whether you add it, I'm just letting you know
16.11.2013 - 01:04
Erik M.

Can you give me the password of your MS account? Then I'll re-organize this list myself!
16.11.2013 - 04:13
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Erik M. on 16.11.2013 at 01:04

Can you give me the password of your MS account? Then I'll re-organize this list myself!

My password is "Procrastination"
I've put this off for far too long, hold onto your hat.
16.11.2013 - 17:01
Erik M.

Written by R'Vannith on 16.11.2013 at 04:13

My password is "Procrastination"
I've put this off for far too long, hold onto your hat.

Haha, don't make me stress you out, as I was only kidding (well, kind of).

It's just that at first I thought your favourite album of the whole list was Atoma. I suspected that simply because it wasn't ordered alphabetically, by year or genre. I only found out it couldn't be true when you reviewed Atoma's album and I figured an 8.6 score is a bit low for a #1 album on a long list like this.

In any case, I'm very curious to see the final result.
17.11.2013 - 09:01
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Erik M. on 16.11.2013 at 17:01

Haha, don't make me stress you out, as I was only kidding (well, kind of).

It's just that at first I thought your favourite album of the whole list was Atoma. I suspected that simply because it wasn't ordered alphabetically, by year or genre. I only found out it couldn't be true when you reviewed Atoma's album and I figured an 8.6 score is a bit low for a #1 album on a long list like this.

In any case, I'm very curious to see the final result.

Yeah Atoma wouldn't be my favourite album in general from this list, though I think it best represents the idea of "Space Metal", both the atmospheric and thematic side of it, so I placed it at the top. That sort of consideration will determine the new order I put the albums in, I'm thinking.
23.11.2013 - 16:12
Erik M.

Wow, you did a great job at ranking these albums. But what's up with the top 10? Are those your favourites or do you think they represent "space metal" the best out of all the albums on the list? Anyway, I think this is a big improvement and I'm actually thinking about doing the same thing with my debut albums list. Do you think that would be an improvement as well, for that particular list?
24.11.2013 - 12:41
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Erik M. on 23.11.2013 at 16:12

Wow, you did a great job at ranking these albums. But what's up with the top 10? Are those your favourites or do you think they represent "space metal" the best out of all the albums on the list? Anyway, I think this is a big improvement and I'm actually thinking about doing the same thing with my debut albums list. Do you think that would be an improvement as well, for that particular list?

Ordering this by genre brings to my attention how under-represented some of the genres are, I'll have to look into expanding on those. And thanks, yes the top 10 are just my picks for what best represents my idea of space metal, as well as being some of my favourite material overall in the list.

I think it would be an improvement for your debut list, it would be interesting to see which genres hold the numerical upper hand as far as debut albums go, as well as being easier to browse if someone happens to view it and is thinking of checking out debuts of a particular style.
25.11.2013 - 23:05
Erik M.

Written by R'Vannith on 24.11.2013 at 12:41

Ordering this by genre brings to my attention how under-represented some of the genres are, I'll have to look into expanding on those. And thanks, yes the top 10 are just my picks for what best represents my idea of space metal, as well as being some of my favourite material overall in the list.

I think it would be an improvement for your debut list, it would be interesting to see which genres hold the numerical upper hand as far as debut albums go, as well as being easier to browse if someone happens to view it and is thinking of checking out debuts of a particular style.

Yeah, you seem to have not enough doom on here. Hehe just kidding, but the list could use more doom in my opinion.

But thanks for your answer, I agree. So when I have the time (which is only in the weekend) I'll update the list I think. Oh, and it's easy to guess which genre isn't much to be seen in my list: power metal. I have like 3 power metal albums in it, no joke.
02.01.2014 - 10:22
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Hi, you missed the spaces (ha!) either side of the colon for Pagan's Mind's album title near the top - and you may want to copy/paste the title for Blood Stain'd εpsilon

I'm surprised, I can rattle off more suggestions here than I thought I'd be able to... I guess maybe half of them won't meet the threshold of space-focused enough to be added. Anyway, here they are:
In Flames? Darkthrone/Kataklysm's fantastic early stuff, Vortech, Zyklon, Gigan, The Disciples Of Zoldon, Susperia's earlier stuff, perhaps Hacavitz Anata & Hellwitch... Like Mr. Blonde said about Iron Savior, more (earlier (basically, mid-era)) Hypocrisy might also be appropriate. Away from death I might go with some Kekal, Time Requiem, Eidolon and maybe Yngwie J? Myrkskog, Abgott, Razor Of Occam & Saille might be some more extreme options (PS there was a fairly-hyped recent release (last 2-3yrs) with cover art similar to RoO's 2nd EP, can't remember the name now but that might fit too...) along with Sedulity/Lascaille's Shroud and Thorns and/or Mithras. Again - sorry if not all of these are bang on the money, but hopefully a few will land among the stars

further - some 1349 (later?)/Evile... Spawn Of Possession/Origin... Wormed/Decrepit Birth... new Monster Magnet? fuck 'em, just go for Mithras (by searching comments, I see they were pointed out by Ag Fox just over a year ago but not specifically responded to? )
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
02.01.2014 - 14:47
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Syk on 02.01.2014 at 10:22

Hi, you missed the spaces (ha!)

So I did, thanks for that. And thanks for a ton of suggestions! As long as they use spacey/sci-fi themes as a lyrical or thematic focus, and/or they have a sound which creates an atmosphere one might describe as spacey then they have a place here. I'll give all those ones you've mentioned due consideration.
New Year's resolution for me, as far as this list goes, is to include all the spacey suggestions from the comments section I haven't added yet, I also have in mind to add more to the non-metal section (a sampling of my favourite things from space rock would go there nicely).

Hits total: 32058 | This month: 38