Metal Storm logo
My Top 10 EU Power Metal Albums Of All-Time

Here are my all-time favourite european / melodic / neoclassical power metal albums.

1. The birth of EU power metal pt.2.
=> best songs: Eagle Fly Free, I Want Out, Keeper Of The Seven Keys

2. The birth of EU power metal pt.1.
=> best songs: A Tale That Wasn't Right, Future World, Halloween

3. The birth of hollywood metal mixing classical music and power metal pt.1.
=> best songs: Warrior Of Ice, Rage Of The Winter, Land Of Immortals

4. Epic power metal, fantasy world, the best musicians and singers as guests. And Tobias Sammet.
=> best songs: Reach Out For The Light, Avantasia, The Tower

5. My favourite songwriter - Timo Tolkki: genius v1 -, drummer and keyboard player in 1 band. Spiritual lyrics, excellent songs. Period.
=> best songs: Black Diamond, Paradise, Visions (Southern Cross)

6. Tobias Sammet again. Genius v2. Excellent songwriting.
=> best songs: Tears Of A Mandrake, Golden Dawn, The Pharaoh

7. The birth of hollywood metal mixing classical music and power metal pt.2.
=> best songs: Emerald Sword, The Dark Tower Of Abyss, Symphony Of Enchanted Lands

8. Hansi Kürsch. Genius v3. The J.R.R. Tolkien of power metal.
=> best songs: Traveller In Time, Lost In The Twilight Hall, The Last Candle

9. Kai Hansen = EU power metal. Really. Genius v4.
=> best songs: Anywhere In The Galaxy, Send Me A Sign, Armageddon

10. Tony Kakko. Genius v5. Silence is awesome. BTW: Finland is awesome!
=> best songs: Weballergy, Black Sheep, Wolf And Raven

Created by: Kallis Helmi | 03.03.2010

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Kallis Helmi ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 10   Visited by: 288 users
13.08.2011 - 21:20
Stormlord

I would say that Lost Horizon's two albums are better than complete discography of Sonata Arctica.
----
"To those who understand, I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand, take me as I am
Not under your command, I know where I stand
I won't change to fit your plan, Take me as I am"
16.08.2011 - 21:51
torina2

I agree with Stormlord
22.08.2011 - 01:33
Metal_4Ever

Written by Stormlord on 13.08.2011 at 21:20

I would say that Lost Horizon's two albums are better than complete discography of Sonata Arctica.

I would ask you whether you're serious or not?
28.08.2011 - 18:19
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Metal_4Ever on 22.08.2011 at 01:33

Written by Stormlord on 13.08.2011 at 21:20

I would ask you whether you're serious or not?

They're better than the first two albums, sure, but when you line them up against the WHOLE shabang...nope. Big fan of both though...
----
7.0 means the album is good
29.08.2011 - 18:51
Stormlord

Damn right i'm serious! You are compering clone of Stratovarius with a band who had more originality than some other bands in their carrier. Not to mention Kakko's singing which is awful live, and i speek from experience.
----
05.01.2012 - 14:07
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Stormlord on 29.08.2011 at 18:51

Damn right i'm serious! You are compering clone of Stratovarius with a band who had more originality than some other bands in their carrier. Not to mention Kakko's singing which is awful live, and i speek from experience.

Sonata Arctica is still a clone of Strato? Happy New Year 2001, sir, you're officially stuck in time! Not to mention that, if Sonata Arctica was a clone of Strato on those first albums, one could say Lost Horizon is ripping off all the epic heavy/power metal, most notably Manowar. I love both bands to death, but let's be serious, none of them was awfully original, at least not at the start.

As for live singing.... dunno. I demand a lot from Kakko and yet he completely pleased me during the live concert of Sonata I've seen. My friend with similar criteria saw him 5+ times and didn't complain on his voice, not once. So I guess it was just a bad night.
----
24.02.2012 - 10:33
Stormlord

Written by Milena on 05.01.2012 at 14:07

Written by Stormlord on 29.08.2011 at 18:51

Sonata Arctica is still a clone of Strato? Happy New Year 2001, sir, you're officially stuck in time! Not to mention that, if Sonata Arctica was a clone of Strato on those first albums, one could say Lost Horizon is ripping off all the epic heavy/power metal, most notably Manowar. I love both bands to death, but let's be serious, none of them was awfully original, at least not at the start.

As for live singing.... dunno. I demand a lot from Kakko and yet he completely pleased me during the live concert of Sonata I've seen. My friend with similar criteria saw him 5+ times and didn't complain on his voice, not once. So I guess it was just a bad night.

Hmmm, well i guess i can't say that they are clone of strato with the last 2 albums, but let's be fair, i am not really a fan of SA, they just try to hard to be something they are not. But compering Lost Horizon with Manowar?! Please, r u serious?! I love Manowar but complexity of music and lyrical subject of their albums are fairly simple while Lost Horizon goes much further, musically and lyrically.

In the end I am just suprised that you really think that SA deserves to be on this kind of a list more than bands like Lost Horizon, Labyrinth or Nightwish, and eaven legends like RIOT?! But let's stop for a moment, this is Kallis Helmi's list and he thinks that they should be here and honestly we can't do shit about it.

Thanks for the list Kallis! LET THE METAL FLOW!!!!!
----
24.02.2012 - 11:11
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Stormlord on 24.02.2012 at 10:33

I love Manowar but complexity of music and lyrical subject of their albums are fairly simple while Lost Horizon goes much further, musically and lyrically.

==> which is also my argument comparing Strato and SA, but nevermind, you're deeply rooted in your own opinion and won't stop to look at things some other way so there's no point in discussion.
----
19.03.2012 - 10:40
Stormlord

Written by Milena on 24.02.2012 at 11:11

Written by Stormlord on 24.02.2012 at 10:33

I love Manowar but complexity of music and lyrical subject of their albums are fairly simple while Lost Horizon goes much further, musically and lyrically.

==> which is also my argument comparing Strato and SA, but nevermind, you're deeply rooted in your own opinion and won't stop to look at things some other way so there's no point in discussion.

Peace sister! I..I

Brothers everywhere - raise your hands into the air
We're warriors, warriors of the world
Like thunder from the sky - sworn to fight and die
We're warriors, warriors of the world
----
10.07.2012 - 21:04
Windir