Release date: April 2011

01. За Пределами Сомкнутых Век
02. Post Mortem
03. Пульс
04. Vigilae Mortuorum (Interludium)
05. Без Меня... Мертвое Завтра...
06. Атрофия Мировоззрения
07. Horror Vacui

Abstract Spirit has all of the elements one expects - nay, demands - of a funeral doom outfit: slow tempos, crushing riffs, growled vocals, long songs, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. Horror Vacui, the latest from these Russkies has six proper tracks totaling over an hour in length with a three-minute instrumental intermission at the half way point. All the aforementioned components are there and the songs doomily emanate forth.

All in all I found this disk slightly disappointing, though. In addition to all the swell stuff mentioned above, funeral doom should also have a powerful emotional content to it as well. It should inspire something like woe, dread, terror, or just flat-out unnerve me.

This album just never connected with me in that critical emotional capacity.

The album was well constructed, well played, yet somehow never clicked. It never disturbed me in the way that, say, label mates and countrymen Septic Mind did with their latest.

Of course, music is subjective and emotional music even moreso. Warning's Watching From A Distance connected with me like the ubiquitous football to the groin video in every caught on tape blooper show? and others (morons!) just didn't get it.

Perhaps I missed the boat on this one. Check it out and maybe you'll party like 70,000 Tons of Doomed Metal and go down like the Titanic with this one? Or maybe you'll just find yourself on the docks, next to me, waving as it sails off.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 14.08.2011 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Staff review by
KwonVerge
Rating:
When the earth is not enough to withstand your emotional weight, there's always plenty of time to drown in funeral doom tunes and lose yourself into the depths of wherever. Either alone or with company there's enough bleakness in the world, it's just that, such kind of music is more than enough to realize the bereaving side of the pits of hell that seem to be more apparent than anything else; on earth.

Read more ››
published 24.06.2011 | Comments (11)

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 82 users
15.08.2011 - 10:19
Windrider
Raureif
Two staff reviews for an even invisible band... wow
15.08.2011 - 20:33
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Windrider on 15.08.2011 at 10:19

i'm the Solitude Productions (and sub-label) guy here, and received a copy in the mail a couple weeks ago. somehow I didn't see DerRozz had posted up a review until after I wrote one. Was suggested by another staffer that I just post it up anyways seeing as i had given the disk a number of spins and written a number of words, so voila.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.08.2011 - 22:35
Windrider
Raureif
Written by BitterCOld on 15.08.2011 at 20:33

Written by Windrider on 15.08.2011 at 10:19

i'm the Solitude Productions (and sub-label) guy here, and received a copy in the mail a couple weeks ago. somehow I didn't see DerRozz had posted up a review until after I wrote one. Was suggested by another staffer that I just post it up anyways seeing as i had given the disk a number of spins and written a number of words, so voila.

Being a Staff Reviewer sounds fun
15.08.2011 - 22:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Windrider on 15.08.2011 at 22:35
Being a Staff Reviewer sounds fun

Fun is just one of the words I'd use to describe it.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.08.2011 - 13:26
Merchant of Doom

"Perhaps I missed the boat on this one"... I think you have... but I can see your point.
16.08.2011 - 13:28
Daniell
_爱情_
I agree with Craig. The album is good, but it fails to amaze. Solid, well-done, tight, but somehow uninspired.
07.01.2015 - 21:49
Rating: 10
Melilac

I personally am not a person who knows depression. Doom, funeral melodies, none of it can break my optimism. For me the world is always sunny, even in the darkest hours of autumn (and I live near the polar circle so it is dark).
As I write stories I sometimes feel a need for inspiration for that side of life I know only by looking at the others. To know the depression some people feel whil writing some more somber parts of my texts I turn to doom metal. The perfect albom needs to be well done, slow (the rhytm should be same as my typing speed), without piercing "screamo" sounds that were so common in the metal in the nineties, and have some good tunes that bring pictures into my mind.
That albom fills all these criteria.

Hits total: 4865 | This month: 16