Metal Storm logo
DragonForce

Original post

Posted by FlareHeart, 18.05.2006 - 03:58
Since there wasn't a thread for them yet I thought to make one for them. Just the typical band thread. Post your opinions, good and bad are welcome. My opinion is that these guys are very talented although they do need to try something new. All of their albums are far too similar. After listening to all of their albums it is had for me to tell them apart. But overall a very good band with a very unique sound. The topic is now open for posting!
13.10.2009 - 01:42
Lord_Regnier
Written by Guest on 13.10.2009 at 01:19

One of the more yawn-inducing bands of recent years....piss fast...and thats where it stops. Everything is always JUST fast, and then it gets faster. People seem to be seduced by the super-fast guitar playing and "misdiagnose" it for good songwriting. It is not...they dont really know how to put a proper song together, they just play piss fast and its all over the top. And theyve done it since the beginning and its all still the same. Really lame band, I used to like them during my naive youth but luckily thats over.

Let me tell you I totally agree.
I'm a big fan of fast music, yet I can't even listen to an entire Dragonforce song. The only quality this band has is to be fast. And, even then, their music sounds like a studio trick (sped up).

Songwriting is nil. It's always the same thing over and over ad nauseam. No emotion whatsoever, only cheesiness all over the place and mindless shredding.

As much as I like fast music, I can't stand that ultra-repetitive videogame cheesemetal at all.
I find Bal-Sagoth too cheesy for me but I would take it over Dragonforce anytime. At least they can write songs that don't sound all the same.
Or should I say at least Bal-Sagoth can write songs, while Dragonforce can't?
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
13.10.2009 - 04:52
Zelse
Obviously you lot are judging them based on their worst album, inhuman rampage, because that album is nothing but wankery overload.. their latest album and sonic firestorm actually have quite a bit of variety

i don't know why it's cool to jump on the 'all they do is shred / all their songs sound the same hurf durf' bandwagon, maybe because it's just easy, i dunno, but it's actually pretty wrong if you listen to more than just a few of their songs

or at least listen to one full song *cough*
14.10.2009 - 00:23
HBrandr
Account deleted
Written by Zelse on 13.10.2009 at 04:52

Obviously you lot are judging them based on their worst album, inhuman rampage, because that album is nothing but wankery overload.. their latest album and sonic firestorm actually have quite a bit of variety

i don't know why it's cool to jump on the 'all they do is shred / all their songs sound the same hurf durf' bandwagon, maybe because it's just easy, i dunno, but it's actually pretty wrong if you listen to more than just a few of their songs

or at least listen to one full song *cough*

Why are you coughing Zelse? No one is jumping on any bandwagon - just stating facts and how can you make such an assumption? Maybe Valaskjalf and Lord_Regnier have actually listened to more then just Inhuman Rampage and might even have a fair knowledge of metal music?
Think about that.

I've listened to whole records of theirs, nothing special and I make that statement based on a variety
of records (and music styles) I've listened to over a span of many years.

I've listened to each and every record since they started out... the problem is their guitars do not compliment their vocals and vice versa. It's power-pop-cheese-filled-snotty music. Their drummer keeps on hitting the same pace and when they solo, which at times seem like the whole song is a solo, the phrasing is really poor.

It's anyone's right to listen to whatever they like, but don't try and justify their songwriting skills or song quality.
14.10.2009 - 00:51
Zelse
yea, you and everybody else on the planet have listened to a ton of musical styles in their lifetime. it doesn't automatically make you some magical authority figure on music

Written by Guest on 14.10.2009 at 00:23
It's anyone's right to listen to whatever they like, but don't try and justify their songwriting skills or song quality.

that's a little contradictory because it's not as if it's a set fact that the quality of dragonforce's music is amazing or terrible - it's up to each individual person to decide, which is why arguing about this (and art in general) is retarded
14.10.2009 - 01:44
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Zelse on 14.10.2009 at 00:51

yea, you and everybody else on the planet have listened to a ton of musical styles in their lifetime. it doesn't automatically make you some magical authority figure on music

...it's not as if it's a set fact that the quality of dragonforce's music is amazing or terrible - it's up to each individual person to decide, which is why arguing about this (and art in general) is retarded

I think its ironic that people always have this reaction to any "resistance" from others, the same attitude you are showing right now. If all this is about taste, then why even comment on the comments myself, Hbrandr and Lord_Regnier has made? Since we're all allowed an opinion?

Just because you like Dragonforce does not automatically make them good....and we're not commenting for the sake of pissing people off or getting a rise out of being disagreeable. The point of a forum is to have discussion, if everyone is going to get their panties all tied up when people disagree with their opinion, then maybe they shouldnt give their opinion because believe me, if I think something is shit I will say so.

Why not put a disclaimer on every damn forum topic saying "ONLY comment if you love the band, because I wouldnt be able to handle it if someone thinks they're shit"? That would be stupid wouldnt it? What Hbrandr is trying to get at, and we have had this discussion many times, is that sometimes someone's "opinion" is flawed and the fact that they think Korn (for example) is the best band in the world is fine...but musically that is undenyably and unmistakably BULLSHIT. The one thing that gets my shit in a knot all the time is that people who DO love the music never defends it on a musical level. They always flip their lid but you havent told me anything of why Dragonforce is not shit.

So please, give reasons for why they are in fact good, before you accuse us of trying to be "authoritative".
14.10.2009 - 02:10
Zelse
I never said that dragonforce is good just because i like them, so calm down, buddy

i just don't see why you'd hang around a thread concerning a band you don't like, seems kinda pointless to me

i would list my reasons for liking the band but that would be pointless because it's not like i give two shits whether or not you like the same music i do

in short: lol u mad
14.10.2009 - 04:33
HBrandr
Account deleted
Written by Zelse on 14.10.2009 at 00:51

Written by Guest on 14.10.2009 at 00:23

that's a little contradictory because it's not as if it's a set fact that the quality of dragonforce's music is amazing or terrible - it's up to each individual person to decide, which is why arguing about this (and art in general) is retarded

Yes, you're right little forest dwarf... I am a magical authoritive figure on music. Just because I mentioned that my frame of reference concerning music might be a little more broad then the average individual on here...

So if I understand you correct, then I can say that Black Eyed Peas' music is actually quite good... at least they write songs without a lot of horrible t.v. game leads. Afterall... it's my individual opinion which is so informed, because each individual on this planet is fully informed on everything - like a 5 year old child.

As to your useless remark of me contradicting myself (in what way?) and that arguing about art in general is retarded - well you defeat the person of posting on a forum. A forum is open to 'debate' not arguing... learn the difference. So I don't agree with your remarks on DragonForce's music, how are you going to respond in return? Oh wait you already have... and boy was that informed.
14.10.2009 - 05:09
Zelse
I really couldn't be arsed to read beyond 'little forest dwarf' because what the hell does that even mean

i really couldn't care less about this shitty argument

anyway, dragonforce is rereleasing valley of the damned and sonic firestorm in january, can't wait. live dvd soon too. woohoo
14.10.2009 - 06:11
Icarus
!PROSLACKER!
I just have a question..
have any of you seen them live?
do they suck as much as the internet says they do? i mean really that bad??
----
-At live's eve our flames will cease-
14.10.2009 - 07:08
Zelse
No, they don't - at least, not anymore. the past year or so, they've been spot on.

a lot of questions about their shitty live performances are answered in an interview seen here

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/hit_the_lights/dragonforce_live_playing_through_the_roof_since_having_in-ear_monitors.html
14.10.2009 - 15:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Icarus on 14.10.2009 at 06:11

I just have a question..

Yes they are live much worse than on album. Also this year when I saw them. They are sloppy as hell and all over the place.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

14.10.2009 - 15:43
GT
Coffee!!
staff
Written by Icarus on 14.10.2009 at 06:11

I just have a question..

I saw them at Wacken this year, and yes they were not that good. I don't think I would say that they sucked, but they're better on CD
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
14.10.2009 - 16:03
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Zelse on 14.10.2009 at 02:10

i would list my reasons for liking the band but that would be pointless because it's not like i give two shits whether or not you like the same music i do

excellent, then we're on the same page.
14.10.2009 - 17:15
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I saw their live videos from Grasspop 2006 and there it was really disgusting...but from what i heard, they improved a lot since then...anyway even i am NOT interested in seeing them live...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

17.11.2009 - 17:18
SatyriconChick
Great band, especially live. Saw them for the first time ever on October 6th. The crowd were really into them, and ZP kept tossing water into the crowd. He drenched me the last time he did it!
18.11.2009 - 22:24
Angel Of Mercy
Written by Ellrohir on 14.10.2009 at 17:15

I saw their live videos from Grasspop 2006 and there it was really disgusting...but from what i heard, they improved a lot since then...anyway even i am NOT interested in seeing them live...

I am a Dragonforce fan and I do admit that was horrid.

Saw them october 8th 2008 and they blew me away.
----
Your time will come.
19.11.2009 - 14:11
GT
Coffee!!
staff
Written by SatyriconChick on 17.11.2009 at 17:18

Great band, especially live. Saw them for the first time ever on October 6th. The crowd were really into them, and ZP kept tossing water into the crowd. He drenched me the last time he did it!

I think you're the first person to say that they're good live. I saw them at Wacken and even though I really like their CDs I found their performance really bad. But hey you might have caught them on a good day or something
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
19.11.2009 - 14:42
Angel Of Mercy
Written by GT on 19.11.2009 at 14:11

Written by SatyriconChick on 17.11.2009 at 17:18

I think you're the first person to say that they're good live. I saw them at Wacken and even though I really like their CDs I found their performance really bad. But hey you might have caught them on a good day or something

Yeah, I think they have good days and bad days.
----
Your time will come.
19.11.2009 - 14:50
Warman
Erotic Stains
I've seen one good live video ("Through the Fire and Flames") of them which was pretty good. The rest I've seen have been horrible!
----
20.11.2009 - 02:05
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Well in teh beggining, I was amazed by their speed, Sonic Firestorm and Inhuman Rampage where pretty cool, but it got old very quickly, also after everyone realised that they actually suck live, I pretty much got bored of this band. I still listen those two albums like twice a year though.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
20.11.2009 - 21:00
Janne
Hugin
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 20.11.2009 at 02:05

Well in teh beggining, I was amazed by their speed, Sonic Firestorm and Inhuman Rampage where pretty cool, but it got old very quickly, also after everyone realised that they actually suck live, I pretty much got bored of this band. I still listen those two albums like twice a year though.

i couldn't get into that 2 albums but I like the first and the latest one very much!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
23.11.2009 - 16:17
Angel Of Mercy
I love them all, but they are decent live now... (I.e, they can play the rhythm parts of the songs)

Ultra beatdown was musically diverse wasn't it?
----
Your time will come.
23.11.2009 - 16:25
Janne
Hugin
Imo they are fantastic live. i saw them playing this year, and i'm not talking about the old videos on youtube which are awful. but i havent noticed that Ultra Beatdown was so different from earlier releases
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
23.11.2009 - 16:42
Angel Of Mercy
You saw Dragonforce live?

Oh yeah the awful videos suck as graspop 2006..............
----
Your time will come.
23.11.2009 - 20:26
Janne
Hugin
Written by Angel Of Mercy on 23.11.2009 at 16:42

You saw Dragonforce live?

Oh yeah the awful videos suck as graspop 2006..............

yes i did, it was in february touring with turisas. and they kicked ass!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
23.11.2009 - 20:31
Angel Of Mercy
Turisas are awesome, but back to dragonforce! lol
----
Your time will come.
24.11.2009 - 05:51
Trinstar
If their live performance were Guitar Hero, they would get about a 96%-97%, and this is definitely expert mode, mind you.

Also, while their songwriting isn't as "diverse" as some other bands, the songs definitely have musical structure. While they may not use lots of time signatures, they play in almost all different keys -- something you can't say of most metal bands.

And their songs including multiple bridges, breaks, solos, and key changes, which makes for a long, epic piece of work. Whether you like the music or not, they are good songwriters and great musicians, their shows are loud, metal, and filled with energy, and their albums are skillfully played and well-produced.
----
Every one of us has heard the call
Brothers of True Metal, proud and standing tall
We know the power within us has brought us to this hall
There's magic in the metal; there's magic is us all
24.11.2009 - 10:51
Angel Of Mercy
I did say it was musically "Diverse" and you missed out time changes.
----
Your time will come.
24.11.2009 - 13:48
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
What the hell does have Turisas in common with DragonForce to make a tour together?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

24.11.2009 - 14:20
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Ellrohir on 24.11.2009 at 13:48

What the hell does have Turisas in common with DragonForce to make a tour together?

I guess they're from the same label? I actually like it when bands on tour together play different styles of Metal.
----