Metal Storm logo
Mastodon - New Song Online

"Curl Of The Burl", a brand new song from US metallers Mastodon, can be streamed using the SoundCloud player at this location.

"Curl Of The Burl" comes off the band's forthcoming album, entitled The Hunter, which will be released on September 27 via Reprise Records. More details about The Hunter were previously reported over here.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Mastodon
Posted: 16.08.2011 by White Winter Sun

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 17   Visited by: 111 users
16.08.2011 - 15:50
fabregassed
Account deleted
Been waiting for ages for them to curl one out...
16.08.2011 - 15:52
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Nice stuff!! now lets see how album shapes up!
16.08.2011 - 16:12
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Does anyone else really not like it? I don't know, this song just seems overly generic and catchy. I really hope the entire album isn't like this.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
16.08.2011 - 17:11
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Damn not these guys as well. I guess you can't expect your favourite bands to keep releasing brilliant albums. Well this song didn't do it for me. I hope this is some prank and not the real deal
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
16.08.2011 - 17:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I didn't really like it either but it's just one song and probably not representative of the album.
16.08.2011 - 19:01
Written by Auntie Sahar on 16.08.2011 at 16:12

Does anyone else really not like it? I don't know, this song just seems overly generic and catchy. I really hope the entire album isn't like this.

I absolutely hate what they are doing on this album. Terribly disappointing and uninspired.
16.08.2011 - 19:50
Rulatore

I'm not fan, the only album that I can listen from these guys is Remission... didnt like the music
16.08.2011 - 19:58
Death_95

I hated it too.
16.08.2011 - 21:31
Lit.
Account deleted
Very strange. Nice groove, though.
17.08.2011 - 01:20
Zap
As BassMonster428 said: overly generic
17.08.2011 - 01:28
strade

Let's just say I don't think we're going to have another Crack the Skye on our hands here. And that is a damn shame.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
17.08.2011 - 01:57
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I think it's going to make more sense on the album and that it is "standable", but yeah, at least for now not a song that I would randomly choose to listen.
17.08.2011 - 02:01
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Maybe I'm the only one, but I think they are doing the right thing going in a different direction. Every one of their albums has been different from the previous one anyway, so why expect something different? I personally was afraid they would take the CtS thing to the next level and go too proggy/wanky and become a Dream Theater of stoner metal. I find these songs a little more refreshing. It's only one song, which btw I've heard they wrote in 15 minutes or so because they always wanted to do a cock rock song.

I think people are going to try to take this album too seriously and miss the point.
17.08.2011 - 02:07
Written by Guest on 17.08.2011 at 02:01

Maybe I'm the only one, but I think they are doing the right thing going in a different direction. Every one of their albums has been different from the previous one anyway, so why expect something different? I personally was afraid they would take the CtS thing to the next level and go too proggy/wanky and become a Dream Theater of stoner metal. I find these songs a little more refreshing. It's only one song, which btw I've heard they wrote in 15 minutes or so because they always wanted to do a cock rock song.

I think people are going to try to take this album too seriously and miss the point.

I totally agree with bands taking things the different direction -- I loved Crack the Skye -- however I feel the difference here is that there isn't any elements of Mastodon's spectacular methods of writing songs that they still had on Crack the Skye. I personally feel like they are capable of much better and more, even if they choose to do more of a "rock" style. These songs just seem to fall flat and don't have that Mastodon style of writing anymore. THAT is what I am missing here more than the change in sound
17.08.2011 - 03:40
albinoman

Written by Auntie Sahar on 16.08.2011 at 16:12

I didn't like it either but I thought Black Tongue sounded good.
17.08.2011 - 04:25
afu

I like it. Sounds like a brother to "Colony of Birchmen", but a little more conventional.
17.08.2011 - 10:31
Syk
myspace/bonerama
"It" apparently happened to Suffocation...

I played the Black Tongue vid a couple times, vaguely liked it but it didn't really click with me unlike much of their older stuff. Won't listen to this one yet as I'm paranoid re: sites I'm not already familiar with

Ah, it doesn't really matter does it? I picked up their last couple albums for NZ$10 each - cheap as chips. Might eventually get this one too, and if it's all sub-par for the band, no biggie. Can always spin their previous masterworks again instead
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays

Hits total: 2855 | This month: 8