05. Distance Is Darkness
06. Behind Me Lies Another Fallen Soldier
07. Undefined
08. A Thousand Steps
09. The Beginning
10. Song 10
11. The Pain Of Separation
12. Elegy

When a friend recommended this band told me "man you have to listen As I Lay Dying, it sounds like ZAO and stuff" I thought; well ZAO is pure crap but man they are not in Metal Blade Records like As I Lay Dying so let's give this guys a chance.

So this is a Warning do not go and buy albums just because a friend told you the band was great, As I Lay Dying is a weird combo of a lot of genres, Emo, Alternative, Hardcore, Metalcore, Industrial, Pop, and some other genres I don't know; but that's not the entire point, the band is mediocre as a raw sunny side up breakfast, The guitars are monotonous, The vocals Oh My God the vocals are incredibly lame, the bass is so low-tuned that reminds me of Korn, the drumming is actually not as bad as the other instruments but well I feel Jordan Mancino can do better than that, and the lyrics are childish "how can I bear this any longer?I'm dying inside, emptied before you take me into your arms?" I mean what are we like 10?.It just takes one hear to tracks like "Song 10" or "Undefined" to feel the awful performance, and dull execution.

I really do not know why Metal Blade Records signed "As I Lay Dying" why insulting bands such as "Vader", "Vomitory", "Cattle Decapitation", "Flotsam & Jetsam", "Gorerotted", "Goatwhore"? for money, publicity, what?. I don't know what pisses me more the fact that this band is bad or the fact that they are signed with Metal Blade.

Anyway not everything is bad in "Frail Words Collapse" the production is actually very good indeed, and so the cover art (the skull is really cool), the mixing and engineering of the album is incredibly clean (even those seconds of distortion and static sound clean), and I can guess why, bands like this are meant or made for guys who do not stand or do not like pure metal, so they try to sound twisted, brutal, and hard but with terrible execution and worst final product, the labels invest a lot in the production because they are aware of the band's lack of technique.

The formula applies here, do not judge an album (or a book) because of it's cover, you will be disappointed, I will rate this album with a reasonable 5 because of the great production and the ok drumming. When I hear a bad album I usually do not make a review of it, but in this case I made it because it's more a warning than a review, DON'T BUY THIS ALBUM.

Written by Herzebeth | 01.12.2004

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 157 users
30.09.2006 - 16:55
muerbi
Account deleted
buy this album
if you like metalcore (apparently herzebeth doesnt) this is the most melodic album of AILD
01.10.2006 - 03:21
Rating: 6
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I agree with Herz. This album is not good. I was in a similar situation due to the fact that I bought it because a friend recommended it to me. Waste of $20
20.10.2006 - 20:06
Sepulchral Oath
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 01.10.2006 at 03:21

I agree with Herz. This album is not good. I was in a similar situation due to the fact that I bought it because a friend recommended it to me. Waste of $20

Where did they charge you $20 for it??? I wouldnt even buy this cd for $5.
21.10.2006 - 01:19
Rating: 6
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Some expensive store that closed. I bought it years ago and without hearing them first.
07.05.2007 - 15:49
cruel pain
carpathian flame
itz not dat bad....!!!!
04.08.2007 - 21:14
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
There are worse albums out there.
26.08.2007 - 14:18
FOAD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 04.08.2007 at 21:14

That still doesn't change the fact that this one is awful.
27.08.2007 - 17:18
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 26.08.2007 at 14:18

Written by Guest on 04.08.2007 at 21:14

That still doesn't change the fact that this one is awful.

yes, its not the best album, but they have improved since that album, imo. Their latest album, which the whole album may still be up on their myspace is pretty decent. They actually solo and put in some cool harmonies.
06.10.2010 - 09:47
Rating: 9
Guib
Thrash Talker
Lol I Actually don't understand this review at all
I mean if you don't like Metalcore don't review on it

I'm what even you would call a true metal lover I enjoy alot of different metal genres and bands
from the Hair Metal era up to Technical Death Metal and I don't see how AILD is bad
Beside, you said the vocals were lame, explain that to me because Tim Lambesis does a damn great job
on the vocals and that for every single As I lay albums...

I mean you might not like the genre, but the band is great and they evolved and became even
better with each albums. You also mentioned the lack of skills and bad technique but I bet
you've never even saw an AILD show am I right ? Total lack of credibility and clearly not objective

Album Highlights: For those who appreciate the band

- 94 Hours
- Forever
- The Beggining
- Collision
- The Pain Of Separation

( and like my signature says, Diversity is the key... don't be so obtuse )
Love the music not the genre...
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.12.2010 - 11:06
jin192

What a shit review, i think this is a good album
10.01.2012 - 05:55
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
O.o

WTF.

this is a clasic metalcore record. I shall not have its name slandered.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
23.03.2012 - 03:55
Dogsbreakfast

Hmmm... I will see these guys this year as part of Rockfest in Montebello, QC. Right now, I am not sure if I should run towards the stage or run towards the hot-dog stand.
----
dogsbreakfast@hotmail.com

Hits total: 6159 | This month: 7