Metal Storm logo
Your Policy on Buying Metal

Original post

Posted by strade, 16.08.2011 - 21:14
Well, I've noticed a trend of downloading music instead of ever buying it recently. I've always believed in collecting, so I have to have a hard copy of an album to say I own it. I do, however, prescreen stuff by downloading it first to see if it's worth buying. I then only buy the stuff that's worth buying, a tactic I've begun to use afterr the Nevermore/Kamelot fiascos last year. Therefore my answer is "yes, but only the stuff I enjoy most," which is the answer I hypothesize that most people will be choosing. Thus far I've bought eight albums this year.

How about you guys? [and to the hardcores who buy all their albums, try not to persecute the rest of us ]

Poll

Do you buy the metal you listen to?

Yes, but only stuff I enjoy the most
Yes, almost all of it
Yes, all of it
No, not usually
No, never

Total votes: 174
20.07.2012 - 22:28
Dinruth

When I was a stupid teenager I downloaded some stuff and bought my favourite CDs ... now I'm buying what I like, not just absolute favourites
06.06.2014 - 10:41
toxx
Supreme being
I buy. I pay for a streaming service, and I buy records if there's something I really enjoy
06.06.2014 - 12:18
raveneffect

I always try before I buy and I try to support the bands I like most. When it come to more Underground bands, I try to buy directly from them, usually by contacting their email or by Bandcamp. I dont mind paying a little extra doing this way since they usually throw in a digital version of it or something extra.

I dont use Local shops because they are extremely expensive and rarely have Metal. When a new cd comes out, stores have it for 15?+ which is the double for what I can get them from the UK over amazon.
06.06.2014 - 14:52
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
I buy CD's, I like to have the physical copies!
08.06.2014 - 08:20
Jtbmetal123

I like having phsical copies but most of the time I have to download it before due to I cant buy the records here.
08.06.2014 - 15:46
Schizoid6.6

No room for CD's, so I download everything.
09.06.2014 - 01:51
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Written by Schizoid6.6 on 08.06.2014 at 15:46

Great way to support your favorite bands
09.06.2014 - 04:57
Schizoid6.6

Written by Fallen Ghost on 09.06.2014 at 01:51

Written by Schizoid6.6 on 08.06.2014 at 15:46

Great way to support your favorite bands

Did you know downloads can be purchased too? Sorry I live on a ship, iPod is the best kind of storage. Plus I give quite a bit of support on concert tickets, merchandise and spreading awareness, interest and devotion in hopes to help accumulate more listeners. Don't bands like the fact that their work is being greatly appreciated and used as a healer? If 'support' can only equal money, maybe it's not all worth the support.
09.06.2014 - 05:43
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I enjoy having physical copies of albums, but at the same time I don't have all the money in the world, so I choose those which I know will impress me, or I would otherwise enjoy beforehand. While I enjoy exploring different sides of music, I don't want to waste my money on something I won't end up liking.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
09.06.2014 - 14:36
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Written by Schizoid6.6 on 09.06.2014 at 04:57
Did you know downloads can be purchased too?

Sure I do, but I got the feeling from your post that you're just downloading it and never paying for your music. I'm sorry if I did misunderstand
09.06.2014 - 15:48
Schizoid6.6

Written by Fallen Ghost on 09.06.2014 at 14:36

Written by Schizoid6.6 on 09.06.2014 at 04:57
Did you know downloads can be purchased too?

Sure I do, but I got the feeling from your post that you're just downloading it and never paying for your music. I'm sorry if I did misunderstand

Either way, the artists always have my support.
10.06.2014 - 03:34
JayMo4

I like to try before I buy, and so I've certainly listened to a lot of stuff I haven't ended up buying. But if I like something, I'll pay for it to support the artists. It's not like these guys are making Rolling Stones money. It's also nice to have physical copies.

That said, I've certainly bought my share of used stuff or been given CDs people don't want anymore... even found a few at the library I've ripped to my computer. On a certain level, I'm not so sure that's any better than downloading them for free - the artists aren't getting anything either way. Somehow that's easier to rationalize than going out of my way to find a torrent or download from some shady bootleg site in Russia or something.
18.06.2014 - 09:32
A.Fetal.Mistake
Account deleted
Before I got myself leashed on the internet. I used to buy albums at random. I'd say around half of what I bought ended up in the garbage. Haha.
Anyway! I 'preview' on YouTube. Whatever I like, I'm sold.
20.06.2014 - 07:50
Ganondox

I listen to most my music on youtube or another streaming service, but I buy all the music I download unless it's free.
29.12.2014 - 13:41
Infernal Eternal

Well, I listen to the band first. If I really like them, I try to find which album of theirs I would like the most. I buy it as soon as possible. I never buy an album beacuse of a sole good song. I like physical copies, too. Plus my favourite bands are not that big so I support them by buying albums, merchandise and concert tickets. However, I don't buy only in order to support the band. I like merch and I certainly love concerts...
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
26.05.2018 - 05:45
Drippy.Hippie

It looks like CDs are slowly becoming outdated......But these days I purchase the songs legally through iTunes or Bandcamp.

I used to be the king of pirating music (funny, because historically The Bahamas is notorious for pirates and piracy ).......the reasons were because in this shithole of a country which I live in, I would never get to buy a good metal cd until travelling to the US or Canada on holiday. Plus, I didn't always own a debit card, but now that I do, legal purchasing is no problem.

There's nothing like collecting actual CDs though, it's just not nearly as convenient.
----
What is the difference between the man who fools you from the pulpit, and the other man who fools you from the platform?
Both of them seek to obtain power over you - To rule your mind, control your property interests or labor power.
02.07.2018 - 07:04
pj0521

Physical copies are where it's at. I buy cds to support the band and I also like having a physical copy because I feel more connected to it.