Deep Purple - Shades Of Deep Purple
Alice Cooper - Pretties For You
Thin Lizzy - Thin Lizzy
UFO - UFO I

Total votes: 129
20.08.2011 - 03:38
Tiago Rocha
Dark Lighthouse
Let's go back in time. In the 60's, a revolution took place in the music stage, taking it to another level. An heavy level. Iggy Pop and a bunch of other crazy dope aliens had already sent a serious message, but the real pioneers, were yet to come. This newcomers, were about to change things again... Ya'll know who they are so let's cut to the chase.

These are all pre-1975 albums. They belong to bands that, in a way or another, helped the heavy metal growth in mid-70's.
I want to know which one of them makes the best debut overall. Which one made its band start its career off the best? Which one contributed the most to the evolution of heavy metal from hard-rock?
I choose the Led Zeppelin's one, not only for personal reasons, but also for Plant's vocal skills, the guitar riffs, and that instrumental drum track... I find it a fun record, and i really think that music was ahead of its time. IMO it's their best record, and the big responsible for hard-rock/heavy metal launch, side by side with black sabbath's two first ones. If i had to choose a 2nd one from the list, i'd go for the Judas Priest debut. I just love the mixing of blues, rock and hard-rock they did there. An highly underrated record from Priest's hard-rock era.
22.08.2011 - 18:35
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Haven't heard most of these, sorry.
22.08.2011 - 19:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
How did you pick those, choose its not logical, there no other ok from list in order
BS,
TL,
LZ
JP
UFO
AC
BOC
S
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.08.2011 - 01:28
R'Vannith
ghedengi
elite
Man a tough one, I'd have to go with BOC. Cities on Flame would have to be one of my favorite songs.
23.08.2011 - 01:51
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
In terms of effect on metal, i'd have to go with Sabbath. also in terms of which one i enjoy most... Black Sabbath. set the tone for harsher music to come with its oppressive, sinister doomy quality.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
23.08.2011 - 07:10
rekkuza-
Written by BitterCOld on 23.08.2011 at 01:51

In terms of effect on metal, i'd have to go with Sabbath. also in terms of which one i enjoy most... Black Sabbath. set the tone for harsher music to come with its oppressive, sinister doomy quality.

Doom metal and its beautiful beginnings...
----
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it- Oscar Wilde
23.08.2011 - 09:58
Jirpo
Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla, though Black Sabbath was close behind.
23.08.2011 - 15:52
Black Sabbath for me. I bought it on a rainy Friday, Still remember coming home and listening to it with headphones and having my world completely turned upside down by the very first song. Memories.
01.01.2012 - 18:19
GN'R - Appetite For Destruction .
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
01.01.2012 - 18:41
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Wow, good poll! And a tough one too. I can't choose for now. Led Zeppelin's debut album is one of my favourite albums, not to mention Scorpions' underrrated debut album. Alice Cooper's debut albums is quite interesting. Nice to see UFO in your list, that's a good one.
I can't vote, too many goodies there.
07.01.2012 - 19:12
Robstar
For sure Black Sabbath's Black Sabbath album... The begining of the Fucking Heavy Metal...
----
Nothing is unreacheable
07.01.2012 - 19:15
RavenKing
Imo, one of the best debut album for a band would be Slayer - Show No Mercy.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
15.04.2012 - 05:37
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Boston's debut was GREAT!
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.04.2012 - 08:32
Dàibh
I wasn't sure what angle to come at on this one from...

...If it was 'best debut album' in regards to said albums influence on metal and its sub-genres, I would have voted Black Sabbath.

I however voted Led Zeppelin because, as an album, I much prefer their debut to Sabbath's. Plain and simple.
15.04.2012 - 15:03
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Oh sorry, I didn't read the 60's part.

Then Black Sabbath gets my vote.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.04.2012 - 19:41
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
I haven't heard any aside from Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. Well, I don't like the LZ debut, and the Sabbath is awesome, so Sabbath all the way.
16.04.2012 - 09:25
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Apart from above recommended choices. well, i like the debut of Machine Head. but as far as oppressively of music is concerned, i had to go with Sabbath stuff.
17.04.2012 - 06:01
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Zep has the meat, zep gets the vote
----
17.04.2012 - 07:54
bran
Black sabbath. that thunderstorm with the bells is just fucking chilling. the album is just killer
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
06.10.2012 - 01:09
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Of ones I enjoy more personally... Led Zeppelin, i like how much variety it has.

Of ones more objectively influential on metal... Black Sabbath, set the standard for harder rock music.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
01.12.2012 - 16:28
megadeath13
Account deleted
Black sabbath obviously.
10.12.2012 - 01:52
Have to go with BOC here, Then Came the Last Days of May is one of my favorite pre-metal songs. Truly one of the more underrated classic rock bands (seem like their only known for a couple singles and nothing else).

Interestingly, BOC seems to be the only band that doesn't have a consensus better album released later in their career (although I might listen to an argument for Agents of Fortune).
----
Here at the edge of this world
Here I gaze at a pantheon of oak, a citadel of stone
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God...
Then God is not dead
11.12.2012 - 01:49
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Of the ones I've heard (Purple, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Priest) I pick Led Zeppelin I.
15.08.2013 - 20:55
John Sandman
Both Led Zeppelin I and Black Sabbath could win my vote. But Sabbath wins my vote. Led Zeppelin I has to many rip-offs.

The others would do much better things in the future.
16.08.2013 - 03:11
Pennywise
Account deleted
Very hard to decide between Zeppelin, Sabbath and Blue Öyster Cult.
My album ranking would be:
1. Led Zeppelin
2. Black Sabbath
3. Blue Öyster Cult
4. Shades Of Deep Purple
5. Rocka Rolla
Havent listened the other ones.
20.08.2013 - 13:08
Pazu
Now that's an interesting topic. There are a number of very good debut albums. I really enjoyed last year's 'A Fair Dream Gone Mad' by In The Silence, for example. When it comes to the best, though, that's a bit hard to tell. I don't like any of the albums suggested much in particular. Being a fan of power metal, I'd have to say that Dark Empire's 'Distant Tides' is definitely among my favorites. Iced Earth's self-titled debut is also great. And of course, 'Pale Folklore' and 'Wintersun' are no-brainers. Another one worth mentioning is 'Melisssa' by Mercyful Fate for some very early black metal sounds, if you don't count EP's, that is. And lastly, for a similar vocal aproach but with a completely different overall sound: 'Crimson Glory' by Crimson Glory. I love that album.
03.09.2013 - 12:49
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath. For sure, but I d'ont know some of the albums listed.
03.11.2013 - 23:04
Supernaut
Black. Sabbath. The Scorpions and Thin Lizzy debuts are also very underrated. The other bands all did a lot better later on.I still love the LZ, but it's just a more professional version of the earlier Jeff Beck featuring Rod Stewart, even Free came earlier (not to mention Cream). They only became really creative with IV.
18.12.2013 - 22:31
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Best debut in the history of metal - I definitely voted for Black Sabbath. That changed everything, I reckon. Thought a bit about Led Zeppelin I but I think it changed the direction of rock music less so than the first Black Sabbath album. I think when people heard that album, they really thought "what the hell is this?".
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
20.12.2013 - 04:42
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by deadone on 20.12.2013 at 04:08
My favourite debuts - you needed "Other" as a poll option.

The OP actually specifically asked for your favorite among those listed.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."