‹‹ Back to the Recreation Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 34
Users visited: 300  
Search this topic:  

tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal

23.03.2013 at 00:04
Written by IronAngel on 15.03.2013 at 13:52

Finished playthroughs of Bioshock

Dude, was that not one of the best games you've ever played? The storyline and plot twists are the best in any video game ever. The ending was fantastic!
----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPfaQJuWGvU
IronAngel

23.03.2013 at 11:07
Written by tea[m]ster on 23.03.2013 at 00:04

Dude, was that not one of the best games you've ever played? The storyline and plot twists are the best in any video game ever. The ending was fantastic!

I don't know about that. It was great, no denying. But after hearing about how the Big Twist will send you reeling when it comes, I found it rather predictable. Not the details of it, of course (and that detail about the phrase was really good), but it was pretty obvious from the emphasized flashbacks that things aren't what they appear.

For an action shooter, it had the best storytelling and setting detail I've experienced - not that I play the genre much. But it was obviously limited by the chosen medium and couldn't reach the depth of, say, Planescape: Torment (which I still hold as the standard of video game storytelling). The world was beautiful and engaging.

In terms of gameplay, it got a little boring toward the end. But most games do, really. There wasn't much strategy to it, once you'd gotten tired of blasting your plasmids.

It doesn't rank among my all-time favorites, mostly because of the genre choice, but I agree it's exceptionally good for what it is.
!J.O.O.E.!
Thought Police

23.03.2013 at 14:22
I'm pretty sure I've already had a long rant about Bioshock on here in the past but it still remains to me one of the most disappointing and overrated games I've ever played. But yeah, I won't moan about it any more =P
----
Angelic Storm
Melodious

23.03.2013 at 22:29
Darkstalkers Resurrection. I seem to be on a bit of a nostalgia trip at the moment, gaming wise, having just finished Nights: Into Dreams again! Darkstalkers was always a really underrated beat em' up which was always overshadowed by the SF series. Even after all these years, it still holds up, and plays like a dream! Aside from Mortal Kombat, Darkstalkers is probably my fave beat em up of all time.
whatsacow

24.03.2013 at 15:21
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 23.03.2013 at 14:22

I'm pretty sure I've already had a long rant about Bioshock on here in the past but it still remains to me one of the most disappointing and overrated games I've ever played. But yeah, I won't moan about it any more =P

It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't a masterpiece. The story is essentially a copy of System Shock 2's but in a different setting, and the pacing is atrocious. Every time you're about to leave an area, something blocks the exit and you have to backtrack. If Infinite remedies this, it will be amazing.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
Jpageforever

27.03.2013 at 16:39
I use my brother's PS3, and I had been playing Assassins' Creed III. It was probably the best game I'd ever played (besides Red Dead Redemption?), but he deleted it to make room for Black Ops, and I never even finished. I might have, though, if I didn't mess around with the Templars too much :3
Mad Arab666

31.03.2013 at 21:01
I just finished metal gear rising, it's a pretty fun hack and slash. will defianatley play through again. I'm looking foward to the new dragons dogma expansion pack.
----
One does not simply rock into Blashyrkh
Mattybu
BAKING SODA

01.04.2013 at 01:43
Written by Jpageforever on 27.03.2013 at 16:39

I use my brother's PS3, and I had been playing Assassins' Creed III. It was probably the best game I'd ever played (besides Red Dead Redemption?), but he deleted it to make room for Black Ops, and I never even finished. I might have, though, if I didn't mess around with the Templars too much :3

flush his copy of black ops down the toilet

on a side note I really need to play AC sometime lol but I've been ripping pokemon hard these days.
----
BUSSIN SHOTS NOW HE NEE O (MATRIX)
slinx

02.04.2013 at 07:52
Just bought Gears of War: Judgement and Bioshock Infinite last week. Gears is a letdown as it seems more like an introductory DLC to the franchise rather than a prequel that should set up all the events. Bioshock, I have not played yet, but I'll get into it once I beat Judgement.
----
You're short, you're fat, and even for a film critic you are ugly.
Edmund Fogg

02.04.2013 at 16:38
Just downloaded Path of Exile. Haven't tried it yet, but based on the feedback I got, I should really like it.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
!J.O.O.E.!
Thought Police

02.04.2013 at 22:17
Probably a fair way into Bioshock Infinite and it's starting to go the same way as the other two after being fun for a couple of hours. It's hella pretty; the art direction and presentation are second to none, the overall story seems like it has a lot to offer (but doesn't come anywhere near doing it justice) and the ballsy racial themes are great but beyond these superficial elements I'm struggling to see why it's getting such massively high ratings. It's extremely linear with long bouts of nothing to do but walk and search for the same collection of items every few paces, listen to disjointed and cryptic audio tapes of random characters that often have no apparent meaning or relevance to the story and then you get punctuations of the occasional bout of unexciting combat with very average mechanics, bland enemies with poor AI and no chance for strategy. So far the Vigors have all been variations on a theme and are purely functional. Just don't get what people are seeing in this. Dishonored was much more interesting and creative, even if it was flawed.
----
Jaeryd
Desert Mouse

02.04.2013 at 23:45
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 02.04.2013 at 22:17

(post)

Huh. My wife really likes Bioshock so we were thinking of getting Infinite, but I've been more interested in Dishonored and Far Cry 3. I will keep your comments in mind and look into the game a bit more before I decide if I'm going to buy this or not.

As for me, I've been playing hardly any games recently. I still have a bunch of Borderlands 2 and Battlefield 3 DLC that I haven't touched. BF3 is probably the next thing I'll be playing, though. The "Endgame" maps look like they should be good.
----
"It is not your sin—it is your self-satisfaction that crieth unto heaven; your very sparingness in sin crieth unto heaven!

Where is the lightning to lick you with its tongue? Where is the frenzy with which ye should be inoculated?"

!J.O.O.E.!
Thought Police

02.04.2013 at 23:49
Written by Jaeryd on 02.04.2013 at 23:45

Huh. My wife really likes Bioshock so we were thinking of getting Infinite, but I've been more interested in Dishonored and Far Cry 3. I will keep your comments in mind and look into the game a bit more before I decide if I'm going to buy this or not.

As for me, I've been playing hardly any games recently. I still have a bunch of Borderlands 2 and Battlefield 3 DLC that I haven't touched. BF3 is probably the next thing I'll be playing, though. The "Endgame" maps look like they should be good.

If you (or she) like the first Bioshock then I'm certain you'll enjoy Infinite, perhaps even more. For me it's one of those games that's nice to look at but a bit lacking when you want to do stuff in it. Dishonoured and Far Cry 3 are definitely worth looking at though. I enjoyed them a lot.
----
Jaeryd
Desert Mouse

03.04.2013 at 00:45
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 02.04.2013 at 23:49

If you (or she) like the first Bioshock then I'm certain you'll enjoy Infinite, perhaps even more. For me it's one of those games that's nice to look at but a bit lacking when you want to do stuff in it. Dishonoured and Far Cry 3 are definitely worth looking at though. I enjoyed them a lot.

Well, she really liked the first one, but for me it was worth one playthrough... I might've gone through it a second time a few years later on hard difficulty because I had nothing else to play. It wasn't good enough for me to want to touch Bioshock 2, and I'm not sure if I care about Infinite. I'm probably going to end up getting it anyway; my wife must've played through Bioshock 1 over four different times, and Bioshock 2 she must've played through at least twice. She's likely to kill me if I don't get it eventually.
----
"It is not your sin—it is your self-satisfaction that crieth unto heaven; your very sparingness in sin crieth unto heaven!

Where is the lightning to lick you with its tongue? Where is the frenzy with which ye should be inoculated?"

!J.O.O.E.!
Thought Police

03.04.2013 at 00:48
Written by Jaeryd on 03.04.2013 at 00:45

Well, she really liked the first one, but for me it was worth one playthrough... I might've gone through it a second time a few years later on hard difficulty because I had nothing else to play. It wasn't good enough for me to want to touch Bioshock 2, and I'm not sure if I care about Infinite. I'm probably going to end up getting it anyway; my wife must've played through Bioshock 1 over four different times, and Bioshock 2 she must've played through at least twice. She's likely to kill me if I don't get it eventually.

It seems lots of people fell for the Bioshock games. Admittedly they are atmospheric and well written which is enough for many people to enjoy. I wish a bit more to do in them. You could just watch her play through Infinite. There are worse ways to spend a few evenings
----
Jaeryd
Desert Mouse

03.04.2013 at 11:43
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 03.04.2013 at 00:48

It seems lots of people fell for the Bioshock games. Admittedly they are atmospheric and well written which is enough for many people to enjoy. I wish a bit more to do in them. You could just watch her play through Infinite. There are worse ways to spend a few evenings

True, true. I'd probably still play through it once, anyway.
----

IronAngel

03.04.2013 at 13:23
Gotta agree with Joe about Bioshock's gameplay. I was rushing through it just to see what happens next, an admiring the views. There was little incentive to explore, weapons and plasmids didn't really change the nature of combat, and all your hacking couldn't provide any alternative solutions or open secret passages. That didn't bother me much, but possibly just because I didn't know of any better. I don't really play shooters.

In contrast, I'm playing Deus Ex now. Holy shit, why are modern games so bad? The map design and sneaking has some of the Thief feel (same studio), but there's a lot more story elements and variety to it. Sci-fi stealth FPS RPG. Mass Effect's gameplay was a dumbed-down imitation. It's unfortunate the combat is a bit clunky and the AI is dumb (obviously, old game). Hoping that DE:HR is a worthy sequel.

Anyone tried Kenshi yet? It's in alpha so it looks rather crude, but it seems promising. Especially if they add a multiplayer function to it down the line. It's an ambitious blend of genres, something big mainstream games should do more often.
Eläävor

03.04.2013 at 18:40
Path Of Exile from day to night!
awesome ARPG game. though it's so new, but it's been great. I've seen all 3 acts of the game & areas are so dark & not at all childish. also music background in the game is so great.
good to mention the game is quite against pay-to-win stuff.

I finished normal difficulty & now i'm playing cruel difficulty. bosses & even minions have gotten a lot stronger. which has made the game way more intresting & serious.
If u were a fan of Diablo, u're gonna love this game.
----
Antakaa elää...
whatsacow

05.04.2013 at 13:14
Written by IronAngel on 03.04.2013 at 13:23

Gotta agree with Joe about Bioshock's gameplay. I was rushing through it just to see what happens next, an admiring the views. There was little incentive to explore, weapons and plasmids didn't really change the nature of combat, and all your hacking couldn't provide any alternative solutions or open secret passages. That didn't bother me much, but possibly just because I didn't know of any better. I don't really play shooters.

In contrast, I'm playing Deus Ex now. Holy shit, why are modern games so bad? The map design and sneaking has some of the Thief feel (same studio), but there's a lot more story elements and variety to it. Sci-fi stealth FPS RPG. Mass Effect's gameplay was a dumbed-down imitation. It's unfortunate the combat is a bit clunky and the AI is dumb (obviously, old game). Hoping that DE:HR is a worthy sequel.

Anyone tried Kenshi yet? It's in alpha so it looks rather crude, but it seems promising. Especially if they add a multiplayer function to it down the line. It's an ambitious blend of genres, something big mainstream games should do more often.

Play Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines asap. It's a lot like Deus Ex, but with a darker storyline and with vampires.

Also, here's my latest article if anyones interested. It's a satirical piece about dlc and easter and shit. If anyones interested in reading and/or critiquing it, go here http://plus10damage.com/blog/2013/4/4/easter-dlc-roundup

About Bioshock. I explored a lot. My game lasted 20 hours, as I got all of the audio logs and I was exploring every little detail. Made the ending a lot better imo. The ending was still kind of shit because it was so rushed, but at least it made sense.

Also, weren't threads supposed to be nuked after 1000 posts, or isn't that happening anymore?
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
!J.O.O.E.!
Thought Police

05.04.2013 at 13:35
Nah, now the oldest post automatically gets removed from this whenever a post over 1000 is made.
----
whatsacow

05.04.2013 at 13:52
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 05.04.2013 at 13:35

Nah, now the oldest post automatically gets removed from this whenever a post over 1000 is made.

Heh. That's pretty awesome. How long has that been in place? And how long has it been since I was a regular? Jesus.
----
!J.O.O.E.!
Thought Police

05.04.2013 at 13:54
Written by whatsacow on 05.04.2013 at 13:52

Heh. That's pretty awesome. How long has that been in place? And how long has it been since I was a regular? Jesus.

A fair while now maybe even close to a year.
----
whatsacow

05.04.2013 at 14:02
Quote:
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 05.04.2013 at 13:54

A fair while now maybe even close to a year.

Hah, goddamn it college. I'm gonna need to go back through the new recommendations and MS Awards to see what bands I missed out on... I'm so behind in metal releases.
----
whatsacow

11.04.2013 at 11:55
Finished Bioshock Infinite. Wow. What a great plot. How unfortunate that gaming is still too immature to not ruin the story with unwarranted bloodbath. Everything in that title is undermined by the fact that it is a game. Elizabeth is upset about killing someone. 5 minutes later commends me for my killing abilities. She just has a deep, heartfelt coversation with her "mother," immediately throws me a coin. Booker Dewitt is trying to forget his violent past: Murders damn near everyone he meets.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great title, with a pretty awesome story, some great and deeply humanising elements, but it just doesn't support the gameplay. Not to mention that the gameplay is kind of dull and repetitive. I mean you fight like 4 different enemies throughout the whole thing? The same criticism could be leveled at the original Bioshock, but A) it was more atmosphere based, and spread out the slaughter, and B) Splicers were literal monsters, as opposed to the humans we fight and kill in increasingly gory ways.

This isn't the grand video game to bring us maturity, as it falls into many of the same medium pitfalls as a lot of other games. It's still essentially what Spec Ops: The Line so brutally critiqued, and it's a sad fact that in order to sell, you need to balance the intelligent, emotional and human with the tits, gore and so called "Adult content."
----
Mattybu
BAKING SODA

12.04.2013 at 00:01
I got that God of War saga thing with 5 games in it for PS3. I'm starting with the first one, it's pretty awesome. revolutionary lamp-shaking gameplay.

I remember when God of War first came out. It seems like so long ago.
----
BUSSIN SHOTS NOW HE NEE O (MATRIX)
Sophist

16.04.2013 at 23:53
Still Dota 2 when I can.
Also got into Company of Heroes 2 beta (like it's hard durrr), pretty neutral about it, it just doesn't feel like old CoH, the russkies and krauts look so similar unit-wise, maybe it's because I just started so I don't know any decent starts yet.
whatsacow

17.04.2013 at 07:34
Anyone interested in reading an article about Ludonarrative Dissonance? I wrote one. It's semi coherent too! Don't know what that means? It's the rift between gameplay and narrative. Anywho, if you want to read it, follow this link! http://plus10damage.com/blog/2013/4/12/ludonarrativedissonancefallacystorytelling
If you don't want to read it, that's fine. Advertising is fun!

Also, does anyone here play Tera? I started up a few days ago and I'm quite enjoying it. The combat is quite fun, even if the questing is a touch grindy and uninspired. Maybe I've just been spoiled with Rift and Guild Wars 2? Maybe I just play too many games. Actually, I definitely play too many games.
----
Malphas

17.04.2013 at 17:11
Haven't played the new bioshock yet but the article was overall very...interesting, i gotta say that even though i have never really sat down and thought about it,i do agree with you..i think

and about tera, well i'm still playing it, not as actively as like a month ago but i'm occasionally doing a few battlegrounds or instance (mainly nexus) guild runs...and when i'm bored i lvl my alt . It really is the best mmorpg out there atm imo, and that's the reason why i'm still on it, yes even though it's FtP now, i like it better than GW2. Too lazy to explain in detail why though because i'm gonna have to write a whole essay lol
----
exclude the impossible and what's left is the truth.
whatsacow

18.04.2013 at 19:05
Written by Malphas on 17.04.2013 at 17:11

Haven't played the new bioshock yet but the article was overall very...interesting, i gotta say that even though i have never really sat down and thought about it,i do agree with you..i think

and about tera, well i'm still playing it, not as actively as like a month ago but i'm occasionally doing a few battlegrounds or instance (mainly nexus) guild runs...and when i'm bored i lvl my alt . It really is the best mmorpg out there atm imo, and that's the reason why i'm still on it, yes even though it's FtP now, i like it better than GW2. Too lazy to explain in detail why though because i'm gonna have to write a whole essay lol

Idk if I'd say it's better than GW2. I like the questing of GW2 more, and the fact that I can have a male character that doesn't look ridiculous, and a female character that actually wears clothes. And the game wasn't made by fans of Lolita. The combat is pretty awesome so far though, and I am getting pretty badly addicted to it.

Also, thank you for reading the article. I think I annoy people posting links to my articles all the time, but since it's a small site we need all the promotion we can get essentially.
----
Malphas

18.04.2013 at 20:34
Nah it's not annoying, at least not to me lol

btw the short version of my explanation why i like tera would be something like...first of all i do agree that the male characters are 100% gay (except for the amani, and that's exactly what i play, all my chars are male amani...just like all of my WoW characters back in the day were tauren i just like the race, its looks the movements and they have a diablo 3 face! also hellboy and many more lol, i made my main char look like a real badass demon spawned straight from the eternal flames of hell. The Baraka are interesting too) and yeah the questing really is better in GW2 cuz in tera it's the old school asian grind style. But what i really loved was the zones or territories (whatever you call them), they just look epic, while GW is meant to be more "realistic" in the graphics, tera is leaning slightly towards comic style which looks much better on a mmorpg (at least imo). Then there is the simple gear system, not too many items (that you character wears/carries) clearly definded stats and a very simple but efficient system overall. No items are BoP, everything (except for quest rewards) is BoE which means everything can be sold on the AH (no that doesn't mean that you can ninja anything and then sell it because the loot system is more or less perfect...at least compared to WoW) so that means that it's easy to get not the very best but solid endgame gear (and ofc throughout lvling too) on the AH for like 500 gold per item...and you're getting truckloads of gold from daily quests endgame so that's not an issue=gear is not an issue. And as you mentioned it already, the main thing is the combat system...other games before had a similar combat system with aiming and that shit too (age of conan for example) but they usually sucked hairy balls, this game is the big exception, i've never enjoyed the combat system of any game as much as this one, PvE is just epic (i'm too lazy to explain in detail how and why, but if you play it and haven't done any instances yet...you'll soon find out what i'm talking about ) and in PvP that combat is even more epic, i just love it and really enjoy owning people's butts . Playing a berzerker as main and lancer alt btw
----
exclude the impossible and what's left is the truth.

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 34

Login or register to post here.