Video Games You're Playing

06.07.2014 - 01:05
Slayer666
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 04.07.2014 at 23:47

So has anyone played 'Space Rangers 2: Rise of the Dominators'? Seems to be one of the highest user-rated games on Metacritic for the PC. Looks like a mish-mash of various genres like RTS, turn-based, RPG trading, text-adventure etc. and so on. I've had about 10 minutes go on it but it looks pretty heavy on the menus and stats (for me anyway). I think it's something I can get into. The music is hella nice at least.

I played it, but it was a really long time ago (possibly a year or two after it was released). I remember really trying to enjoy it, but being a young impatient whipper-snapper, I was overwhelmed by the sheer amount of content and game complexity and gave up. Don't know why I never gave it a second shot, I guess it didn't impress that much.

On a more current-time note, has anyone tried "Divinity:Original Sin"? It's being praised as the best old-school RPG to come out in years. It has next to zero marketing, though, finding info on it ain't easy.
06.07.2014 - 01:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Defunct
Written by Slayer666 on 06.07.2014 at 01:05

I played it, but it was a really long time ago (possibly a year or two after it was released). I remember really trying to enjoy it, but being a young impatient whipper-snapper, I was overwhelmed by the sheer amount of content and game complexity and gave up. Don't know why I never gave it a second shot, I guess it didn't impress that much.

I got a few hours into it but I died and the one save I had kept causing the game to crash to desktop, so I got annoyed and uninstalled it. It did start to get fun, though it was kind of an aimless game that gave you very little indication of how to progress in a reasonable manner.
06.07.2014 - 01:15
Slayer666
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 06.07.2014 at 01:09

It did start to get fun, though it was kind of an aimless game that gave you very little indication of how to progress in a reasonable manner.

That is the folly of those so-called 4X games.

I also remember quite enjoying Galactic Civilizations 2, a game in similar vein. It was like a simpler, more streamlined but far more polished version of Space Rangers.
06.07.2014 - 01:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Defunct
Written by Slayer666 on 06.07.2014 at 01:15

That is the folly of those so-called 4X games.

I also remember quite enjoying Galactic Civilizations 2, a game in similar vein. It was like a simpler, more streamlined but far more polished version of Space Rangers.

Looks pretty good actually. I may acquire.
06.07.2014 - 12:43
IronAngel
GalCiv 2 is awesome. It's like a turn-based Sins of a Solar Empire with more and cooler races and technology and the option to design your units (ships). Some of the victory options, though, are a bit boring.

I kinda want to get into the X series, but I've always stopped before I learned the ropes.
07.07.2014 - 17:36
Dima
Divinity Original Sin seems to be the new popular kid on the block. I wonder why it's already loved by many
07.07.2014 - 17:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Defunct
Written by Dima on 07.07.2014 at 17:36

Divinity Original Sin seems to be the new popular kid on the block. I wonder why it's already loved by many

It looks like one of those generic old-school PC RPGs that never seem to go away, yet keep being heralded as great nostalgic throwbacks. I don't get it myself.
07.07.2014 - 17:48
Dima
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 07.07.2014 at 17:43

Written by Dima on 07.07.2014 at 17:36

It looks like one of those generic old-school PC RPGs that never seem to go away, yet keep being heralded as great nostalgic throwbacks. I don't get it myself.

Well a friend that usually hates the popular games is really digging it so it might actually be good. Think i'll pass on it though as i've got ~15 games from the summer sale already queued up.
07.07.2014 - 17:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Defunct
Written by Dima on 07.07.2014 at 17:48

Well a friend that usually hates the popular games is really digging it so it might actually be good. Think i'll pass on it though as i've got ~15 games from the summer sale already queued up.

I may be tempted to try it out, but to this day I've never successfully gotten into an RPG like that, unless Dragon Age counts.
07.07.2014 - 17:51
Dima
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 07.07.2014 at 17:49

Written by Dima on 07.07.2014 at 17:48

I may be tempted to try it out, but to this day I've never successfully gotten into an RPG like that, unless Dragon Age counts.

nahhhhh
07.07.2014 - 18:10
Slayer666
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 07.07.2014 at 17:43

It is an old-school RPG at heart, but has a great deal of more modern elements. It only takes influences from the games released in good old days when RPGs were RPGs, but doesn't copy them. The world itself is very interactive, the combat system is deep and challenging, the two-main-characters thingy is a bit gimmicky but pretty fun, choices do matter etc. etc.

Even though I'm only like 5-6 hours into it, it already beats the shit out of anything released this year and probably about 95% of stuff from 2013.
07.07.2014 - 18:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Defunct
Written by Slayer666 on 07.07.2014 at 18:10

It is an old-school RPG at heart, but has a great deal of more modern elements. It only takes influences from the games released in good old days when RPGs were RPGs, but doesn't copy them. The world itself is very interactive, the combat system is deep and challenging, the two-main-characters thingy is a bit gimmicky but pretty fun, choices do matter etc. etc.

Even though I'm only like 5-6 hours into it, it already beats the shit out of anything released this year and probably about 95% of stuff from 2013.

I think I read somewhere that it's turn-based. If it is I may well give it a go. It's a real-time pause stuff then it can go take a leap off a cliff.
07.07.2014 - 18:17
Slayer666
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 07.07.2014 at 18:12

I think I read somewhere that it's turn-based. If it is I may well give it a go. It's a real-time pause stuff then it can go take a leap off a cliff.

Really? I prefer real-time pause over any other form of isometric combat. I thought everyone did. xD

But yeah, turn-based, at least during combat. Everything else is real-time, with no pause though.
07.07.2014 - 18:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Defunct
Written by Slayer666 on 07.07.2014 at 18:17

Really? I prefer real-time pause over any other form of isometric combat. I thought everyone did. xD

But yeah, turn-based, at least during combat. Everything else is real-time, with no pause though.

I can't be doing with real-time pause stuff. Is what stopped me appreciating Baldur's Gate games. Actually I'm really glad Torment: Tides of Numenera is going to be turn-based (think people voted on it and it won by something like 51% to 49%).
07.07.2014 - 18:22
Slayer666
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 07.07.2014 at 18:20

Actually I'm really glad Torment: Tides of Numenera is going to be turn-based (think people voted on it and it won by something like 51% to 49%).

Oh, really? Damn, my enthusiasm for that game just dropped a bit. Not that I mind turn-based, I just prefer real-time with pauses.
07.07.2014 - 18:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Defunct
Written by Slayer666 on 07.07.2014 at 18:22

Oh, really? Damn, my enthusiasm for that game just dropped a bit. Not that I mind turn-based, I just prefer real-time with pauses.

I'm sure they'll make it work. It's not like the combat in Planescape Torment was anything to write home about anyway, but I like the idea there'll be some tactical gameplay in the sequel (or whatever it is).
07.07.2014 - 23:44
mankvill
The Wolf Among Us! So stoked for the final episode tomorrow.
08.07.2014 - 07:52
Mattybu
Just finished MGS4 today, for all the convoluted plot nonsense and overly drawn out cutscenes, it's still a damn fine game. And to be honest, despite not understanding a lot of it plotwise, the ending was epic. In all likelihood I won't revisit MGS4 but I'm glad to have played it.
08.07.2014 - 14:26
Ilham
Giant robot
MGS is always like that. I remember playing the first one when I was too young to understand it, then I got MGS2 and finished it as well. Then I was old enough to get curious about the plot, so I re-finished both. I think at that time I understood what those two were about, but I'd never be able to tell you now. I just remember something about a huge conspiracy with the 12 patriots, a weird fight with that guy on the roof, while 98% of the game was played on an off-shore base. Would I have to go back to the playing any of those games, I'd have to focus on the plot as if I had never heard the name Snake before.
08.07.2014 - 14:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Defunct
MGS plots can get a bit convoluted. I love them though, but I think MGS1 and 3 were the best because they kept it relatively grounded and easy to grasp. 2 and 4 were fun though from a plot perspective, just a bit wacky.
08.07.2014 - 14:37
Dima
3isdabest
08.07.2014 - 14:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Defunct
Written by Dima on 08.07.2014 at 14:37

3isdabest

I'd take the plot and characters from 1, the gameplay, bosses and setting from 3 and the framerate of 2 =P The End battle is still one of my favourite gaming experiences.
08.07.2014 - 14:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Defunct
As for 4, it was a really good experience, it's just a shame the boss battles were pretty mediocre and that there were very few optional codex conversations with different people. I always loved getting in to random discussions. For example:

08.07.2014 - 15:34
Ilham
Giant robot
^Hahaha. I have had the codex ringtone as an actual ringtone on my phone for years, and a few times as it rang in public places, random guys would come and talk to me about MGS. Not unlike that codex conversation. It's fun though, made my tramway rides a lot funnier.
08.07.2014 - 15:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Defunct
Haha, yeah, I've had it from time to time. It always makes me jump though. These days I usually have the Sonic ring collecting sound as my text message sound and the Mario coin collecting sound as my email.
08.07.2014 - 16:08
Ilham
Giant robot
Well I don't know why but it always came with the "!" sound (that one that plays when you are seen by a guard) before the actual codex ringtone. But I grew accustomed to it.
All this reminds me I still haven't installed a ps2 emulator on this baby. I might go back to MGS after all.
08.07.2014 - 16:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Defunct
Worth finishing as the ending portion is a mind fuck. I really want to do another play through of MGS3 Subsistence (the one with the fully rotatable camera) but it's pretty reliant on the PS2's dual-shock controller with the pressure-oriented buttons which the 360 controller can't do.
08.07.2014 - 16:27
Ilham
Giant robot
Yeah I remember delaying the second time I finished it because I knew there were tons of long and difficult to understand cinematics that would then lead to two minutes of gameplay, then cinematics again. I knew it needed to be done during the week-end.
I don't have a controller yet, and as agile I can be with my fingers, there are limits to keyboard and mouse controls when the game is intended to be played with a real dual-shock controller. I'm sure I can manage on MGS2 but not Snake eater. So I'll start with that.

But before I do that, I should try Mass Effect 3. I feel guilty for not testing this machine on a real game yet.
08.07.2014 - 16:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Defunct
You should really start with Mass Effect 1 as it's a heavily story based game and it'll probably ruin a lot of the surprises if you start there (just download the sucker and make a solemn promise to buy it later).

It's definitely worth investing in a 360 controller and the official dongle thing as most PC games these days recognise it from the off. Some games just beg to be played on a controller. Thankfully most PS2 games aren't really incumbent on the dual-shock features so can be played fine with another controller. I did buy a third-party connector for my PS2 controller but I could never get it working right.
08.07.2014 - 17:00
Ilham
Giant robot
Oh seriously? I was looking forward playing something beautiful at 100+ fps. 15G download for nothing haha. Alright then Mass Effect the first it is.

Yeah I know. I myself was a console gamer mostly because I always though keyboard/mouse controls were unnatural. But I grew up to be fine with them as the consoles required the equivalent of my mom's salary to be bought. I really don't have the 50 euros for that right now, that's why I'll emulate games I know can be played easily enough without a controller or a legit dual-shock.