‹‹ Back to the Recreation Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34
Users visited: 301  
Search this topic:  

The original post

Posted by whatsacow on 24.03.2013 at 15:21
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 23.03.2013 at 14:22

I'm pretty sure I've already had a long rant about Bioshock on here in the past but it still remains to me one of the most disappointing and overrated games I've ever played. But yeah, I won't moan about it any more =P

It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't a masterpiece. The story is essentially a copy of System Shock 2's but in a different setting, and the pacing is atrocious. Every time you're about to leave an area, something blocks the exit and you have to backtrack. If Infinite remedies this, it will be amazing.

Page 32 of 34

whatsacow

05.11.2014 at 12:07
Written by Dima on 05.11.2014 at 11:35

Written by whatsacow on 05.11.2014 at 11:11

Written by Dima on 05.11.2014 at 10:40

Written by whatsacow on 05.11.2014 at 10:05

"I don't think you can hate on the execution of the story, but you can certainly hate on the story premise." Nope, you never said it at all :p

Uhh lol that's different? In my original post i'm specifically referring to TLoU. Hating on execution is fine but I think it's very very hard to find any major faults in TLoU's execution. The idea/story, sure it might not be your cup of tea but the execution was objectively near to faultless.

Nope. I wrote an article specifically about this. So it's not objective. Sorry, I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, and I'm not meaning anything harsh by it. Here's the article in case you want to read it: http://plus10damage.com/blog/2014/8/26/video-games-are-too-long

won't load D;

Huh. It loads for me... maybe this? http://plus10damage.com/blog/?author=50ff8a09e4b047a6c79c5236#show-archive

Scroll down to The Last of Us and Problematic Video Game Length.

Anyway, if you can't get it the general gist is I think it's a bit too long and that in term diminishes some of the impact the story has. I argue it better in the article though haha
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
!J.O.O.E.!
Thought Police

05.11.2014 at 13:46
In a climate where the vast majority of consumers complain that games are too short I clearly don't think games being too long is an issue. Only rarely does that issue crop up, such as Alien Isolation where heavy repetition sets in, both in plot mechanics and gameplay. I personally don't think games are too short considering most SNES and Genesis games could be completed in under an hour and used to cost more than games did now (in the UK they used to retail at £40 - £60, which adjusted for inflation would make games £70+ in this day and age), but I certainly don't think games are too long either, with the possible exception of some open-ended games like Skyrim which don't fill their worlds with enough to justify the size. You also don't have to play through a game in one sitting so I don't get the argument that people don't have the time for it, and I personally don't think one has to complete a game to enjoy it either.

I would also argue that the gameplay MGS4 is far more involving than GoW, which to me is still gameplay-lite. Granted, there are hours of exposition and story telling in MGS4 but you have the option to skip that if you so desire.

The fact we're in an age where dozens of short, arty, story-minimal indie games are being released on a monthly basis highlights that video games can tackle gameplay, story and length from most angles. If you're sitting around waiting for a perfect fusion of filmic, cinematic story telling and video game mechanics then I doubt you will ever be satisfied as they're two totally separate mediums being used in tandem (hence why video game-based films are almost universally rubbish as well). However some games do it reasonably well and manage to find an acceptable balance. As I said though, you can always skip the story. I also don't think this idea of a perfect cinematic narrative in a video game is attainable either because gaming and films are two separate mediums, as I said, one of which is a static medium where interpretation is key, the other is gaming which is fundamentally based on interaction. You can have Mass Effect and MGS which does an acceptable job of creating a gameplay universe with story elements derived from film making conventions, or you can have Planescape: Torment which is far more book-like than anything else. What we have is so far is fine, even though it does often fail. That discontinuity between observing and action is always going to be in video games though. If you're going to complain that there has to be breaks in the story to kill some enemies then gaming is perhaps not what you wanted at that juncture. Don't expect 'Synecdoche, New York - The Video Game' to ever be a reality though.

Also, if you're waiting for the perfect synergy of fun and artsy then you might want to consider other mediums, because I don't think fun has ever really been associated with art entertaining and artsy is a far more palatable proposition (Okami, SotC, Dark Souls, any number of indie platformers or ambient gameplay games like Flower, walking simulators etc). There's plenty of it around. You've even got political / social commentary in the form of Papers, Please. Then you also have the de-constructive gaming satire, or whatever it is, of The Stanley Parable. What more do you want?

Is violence an issue? Depends on your stand point really. On one end of the spectrum you have Manhunt, Postal, Hatred etc. which are generally accepted by many as "going too far" but this raises the question of the use of violence in video games and unfortunately If you're going to say violence is a problem then you have discount almost every great game ever made, or a good majority. Zelda is violent. Final Fantasy is violent, Okami is violent. Dark Souls is violent. If you can find a way to justify the act of mass murder in those games that aren't just superficial comments about necessity and requirement wrapped around a cosmetic narrative then you would have a leg to stand on but I'd be surprised if you could. Is the concious, explicit act of killing in GTA worse than the passive, unthinking murder in a Final Fantasy game? Isn't it just hypocrisy to blame games like that because they make us aware of what we usually do in video games without even thinking about it? Personally I don't think it's a problem simply for the reason it's been more or less proven than violence in video games does not influence people into commiting violent acts. And from the argument that it's just lazy video gaming to include violence I think if you abolished it you would have to wave goodbye to most genres of video game and it would leave a pretty barren landscape of gaming experiences.

The real issues of games at the moment, to me, lie in production practices like day one / on the disc DLC, early access alphas which never get finished, development and public relation buffoonery like trying to pass off 30fps games being more "cinemetic" etc. and obviously female representation is a pretty big kettle of fish right now. There is a lack of ideas in gaming mechanics in some of the bigger titles as well of course.
----
whatsacow

05.11.2014 at 15:51
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 05.11.2014 at 13:46

Well thought out but super long argument.

Okay. So I'm not really arguing that games in general are too long. I'm arguing that if a game has a substantial narrative element then it can be hurt by being too long. It's more of a pacing issue than anything, and if you want to tell a meaningful story like The Last of Us did, you should take length into consideration and consider how it could hurt the experience. If a film can be too long, so too can a narrative driven game. A game that's entirely about gameplay? That can be as long as it damn well pleases as long as it remains consistently engaging, and if it's not, you should maybe cut out the filler.

In The Last of Us there was filler. There were parts of that game that seemed to exist only to make it a 15 hour game so people wouldn't shy away from putting their money down. In Bioshock, half the fucking game was filler (exaggeration for effect. It's fucking stupid that you have to point that out to some retards (sorry autistic/down syndromey cunts/Hiroshima survivors - just in case you don't like the 'r' word) on the internet). There are tons of narrative focused games that don't live up to their full potential because they aren't considering how length and pacing effects their storytelling abilities.

And I know awesome indie games exist, but they have their problems too. They are often more "me too" than their triple a brethren, jumping on the retro bandwagon to cash in on nostalgia.

Violence isn't an issue. I love ultra-violence. It's fucking awesome. The issue I have is that it's the primary mechanic of the video game industry. I would like to see hardcore games that isn't Portal or Catherine use something other than violence as it's central mechanic. The thing about violence is the more often you see it, the less awesome it becomes. The violent scenes in Drive, Breaking Bad, District 9, or Game of Thrones is awesome because it isn't happening all the time. There's build up. There's tension. The violence is the release. I feel like more games should adopt this attitude. Not every game, just more.

Now here's the thing. I don't hate the state of games. I love it. I doubt there's been a better time than ever to be a gamer. There is more variety now than ever. Some of the best games of all time have been released in the past 6 or 7 years. The indie scene has been providing a great counter point to the bloated triple a industry.

I love gaming, and it's what you love the most that you criticise. As much as I love the medium, I feel like it has so much room to improve. I'm not trying to say games are bad or that everything sucks and we should burn all games because they don't meet my high standards. I'm just saying games should be more, and why shouldn't we discuss that?

Btw, I'm hypocrite, because top 10 games are from 1-10: Dark Souls, Resident Evil 4, Metal Gear Solid 3, Silent Hill 3, Doom II, Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines, Thomas Was Alone, Skate 3, Portal, and Abe's Exoddus.

So yeah, I like schlocky ultra-violence and dumb fun as much as the next guy, but games can be more.

---edit---
Also, yeah I know that article is outdated. I wrote it 2 years ago for 1up, and then reposted it on MyIGN for the hell of it. It got front paged for some reason haha.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
!J.O.O.E.!
Thought Police

05.11.2014 at 16:24
I can't help but wonder if your gripe is that AAA games aren't taking the form of indie games, and that the games you desire don't interest a larger demographic. You say games can be so much more but as we've both highlighted: they are. It just so happens that they aren't big budget games. It would be financial suicide to spend the budget of a AAA game on something with esoteric storytelling, experimental gameplay mechanics, subversive or cerebral subject matter, etc. because it would be a disaster for the developer. I'd love Beyond The Black Rainbow to be shown in every cinema in the country but no one would bother going to see it. Probably why it didn't have the budget of a Transformers film. I feel like more than ever violence is becoming a less-relied on trope in video games, it just so happens that it's smaller games that do it. You can't change people. You can't force them to be interested in something they're not and unfortunately the industry has to move in those circles and violence is something that sells.

I'm not sure where this happy medium between gameplay mechanics and considered violence is supposed to be though. I think you might be thinking too much into film conventions and tropes to the point where there's no happy middle ground that involves video games. I personally don't feel like death is being overused in storytelling right now. I agree that many narratives are generic and use death as a plot device too commonly but I don't think the problem is the use of death and violence itself, rather it's a more basic problem with constructing good stories.

I should say now that I haven't played The Last of Us. From what I gather though issues with the story is not an argument I've yet seen, in fact the consensus seems to be that it's almost a water-mark for story telling in games so I have to wonder if your pacing concerns is minor nitpicking. I've played Uncharted 2 and found that the only thing it really had going for it was the story (generic but well told and paced). I had far more concerns with the gameplay itself. I have similar issues with the Bioshock games in terms of gameplay, in that it was frightfully generic and repetitive, but I also had a personal gripe with the way the narrative was presented through tapes and such, which I couldn't engage with. Ultimately though I would say the key problem with those games was the gameplay itself, not the story. I'm inclined to think I may feel the same about The Last of Us.

Really though I don't think an imperfect story and a few pacing issues is really enough to ruin a game. Alien Isolation is a good recent example. The story was absolute junk yet it was enough to set a scene and allow the player to revel in the atmosphere. On the flip side Silent Hill 2 had some of the worst gameplay a game could have because it was practically superficial and unnecessary, yet survived as a classic because of the story and atmosphere. I'm not sure what my point is exactly, probably that games can be more than the sum of their parts, including pacing issues and questionable use of violence as a narrative device.
----
IronAngel

05.11.2014 at 16:38
What are you people's favorite-ever games, by the way? Top 10 or 5 or 25 or whatever. It's interesting to see where people are coming from, and it's also a fun way to get inspired to play stuff I may have missed.
!J.O.O.E.!
Thought Police

05.11.2014 at 17:31
It's difficult to write a list to be honest. Every time I start I just end up putting dozens from each generation, even though many of them are games I'll probably never play again but rather just end up watching on Youtube. It's mostly console RPGs, which would probably make a pretty boring list in the end.
----
whatsacow

05.11.2014 at 18:45
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 05.11.2014 at 16:24

More great arguments

I think we need more in between. As much as Ubisoft can piss me off as a PC gamer, they have the right idea by having an "indie" team they give less money (but still more than most indie devs) to who can test out new ideas and see how well they do. We need more AA instead of AAA.

And I think it could be done. I think some games in the horror genre are doing it quite well already. Imagine something like Amnesia where for the first hour it's just exploration. When you do meet them, at first all you can do is run and hide, but then after a while you get a weapon. There's a tense gun battle followed by one small explosion of gore. That violence would have impact, since the player wasn't used to it. It would be shocking, and it would stick with you. Like the aftermath of the the ticket thing (I should not be allowed to type at 3am) in Bioshock Infinite, but towards the end or middle of the game, and without everything else that sucked about Bioshock Infinite.

The Last of Us is good. It has some fantastically tense moments, 2 scenes where I literally cried, some great character moments, and well executed ending that divides its audience. I say it's too long because the ending would have had more impact had it have come sooner. If it wasn't bound to the conventions of gameplay where it's forced to have a difficult section at the end that ruins the narrative pacing, forces you to do it over and over again so that you're too frustrated to really take in the ending. And that last area of The Last of Us really does suck ass. And the tunnel section before the end could have easily been cut as it just adds one more stealth section, a meh boss fight, and a fucking water platform puzzle - the same one you'd already done 90 times in the campaign already.

Anyway there was a point to this but I'm ranting so I think I'll go to bed.
----
Dima

06.11.2014 at 01:50
For a dev, just getting a middle ground and picking your moments is tough. The combat section at the end could be there to signify the importance of Ellie as a specimen to the world. If it wasn't there, people would question the ease at which you entered and escaped the building with her. For me though the only section that definitely should not existed was the bandit invasion in the house right after you catch up with Ellie on your horse.

-Call of Duty 4
-Crash Bash
-Dark Souls
-Deus Ex 1
-Final Fantasy X
-Gran Turismo 3
-Kingdom Hearts
-Metal Gear Solid 3
-Need for Speed Most Wanted 2005
-The Witcher 1
Mattybu
BAKING SODA

06.11.2014 at 06:47
Written by IronAngel on 05.11.2014 at 16:38

What are you people's favorite-ever games, by the way? Top 10 or 5 or 25 or whatever. It's interesting to see where people are coming from, and it's also a fun way to get inspired to play stuff I may have missed.

1. Shadow of the Colossus
1. SHADOW OF THE MOTHERFUCKING COLOSSUS
2. Pokemon Blue Version
3. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
3 (tie). Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
4. Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando
5. Pokemon Pearl Version
6. Killzone 2
7. ICO
8. 1. Shadow of the Colossus
8. Fallout 3
9. Battlefield Bad Company 2
10. Chrono Trigger
11. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
12. World of Warcraft (probably have spent more hours on this than any other game despite it being 12)
13. Mario Kart DS
14. Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge
15. Flower
16. God of War III

(probably forgot something and most of them's positions could change a bit)

I doubt this list will do you much good as far as finding stuff you like goes, that's where it's at doe.

EDIT: yep forgot GHIII and GH Metallica, they belong there somewhere too. Star Wars Battlefront too. And Animal Crossing: City Folk, LoZ Twilight Princess, DEAD SPACE (!!!!!!), UNCHARTED 1&2 (!!!!!!!), Roller Coaster Tycoon, Resistance 3. SUPER MARIO STRIKERS. and Final Fantasy IV. Probably more too.
----
BUSSIN SHOTS NOW HE NEE O (MATRIX)
Dima

06.11.2014 at 09:15
I love how after all that talk I forgot God of War 2 ;_;
Deadsoulman
Bubblefucked

06.11.2014 at 13:36

Just for the fun of it, because I doubt you'll find a lot of original or super obscure stuff in there - I admit I'm a pretty mainstream gamer - but here's a list. Positions after top 3 don't mean anything:
1. A Link To The Past
2. Okami
3. Final Fantasy X
Super Mario Bros. 3
Portal II
Dishonored
Arkham City
Donkey Kong Country
Heroes Of Might And Magic III (lost a year to this game)
Final Fantasy VII (would have taken X's spot a few years ago but playing it recently made me realize how clunky some parts are and how tedious side quests are - I guess you could say the same for any FF game, but it didn't bother me that much in X or even VIII)
999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
Super Mario 64
Super Mario Kart (the one on SNES, though I could have picked the one on N64)
Metroid (the first one on NES)
Kid Icarus

I recently started playing Demon's Souls, which I think could earn a pretty high spot in the list once I get the hang of it and manage not to die every 2 minutes Gameplay is brilliant and I love the general atmosphere of the game (especially the feeling of absolute loneliness you get when you land in Boletarian Palace for the first time).
IronAngel

06.11.2014 at 14:04
There's plenty of stuff I have never played on your lists - mostly because my latest console was PS2, admittedly, so I haven't had the chance. Thanks. I'll have a think about my list, though it's pretty inclined towards RPG and strategy.

Man I want to get Crash Bash again.
Xnoybis
Duke Nukem

06.11.2014 at 15:04
Written by Deadsoulman on 06.11.2014 at 13:36

Final Fantasy VII (would have taken X's spot a few years ago but playing it recently made me realize how clunky some parts are and how tedious side quests are - I guess you could say the same for any FF game, but it didn't bother me that much in X or even VIII)
Metroid (the first one on NES)

I really loved Final Fantasy VII, had a blast playing it. Just have my lappy in PY, so can't play terribly demanding PC games. Thought about getting it again, the enhanced version or whatever. Then thought about the 30 minute (with one save point in the middle as an intermission) follow along quest after escaping the city. Then the other one with Sephiroth or whatever later. And breeding chocobos. And racing chocobos. and breeding more chocobos. and racing more chocobos.

passed.

will leave it to nostalgia.

I don't buy a lot of games. too expensive and too many have been utter disappointments, so am more cautious as to what i buy nowadays. Used to get Nintendo through original Playstation, and pre<2000 pc games regularly.

Baldur's Gate series was/is my favorite, (II over I, though) Love how interactive the NPCs are with one another, from unexpected buddies to flat out trying to murder one another. Unlike FF7, have been playing the enhanced re-releases. (BGI for the first time, actually)

FIFA/NHL/NCAA Football all off on their own, have collected at least 5 of each over the years. NHL on Super Nintendo, Sega, PC, Playstation, PSII...

FF II, III and VII (II and III were picked up in Guam, no idea what the hell they were called Stateside)

Redneck Rampage was probably my favorite shooter game, loved the soundtrack.

Civ II was great fun, even if "Spearchuckers" could defeat battleships. My fave was editing the coding. Setting nuclear missiles so they didn't immolate upon use, adjusting the animation appropriately, and renaming them "Death Star".

Warlords, Warlords II were also great fun.

World of Warcraft consumed an awful lot of time, so have to give it cred if for nothing more than the friends I played with and the fantastic "kill time" factor chasing silly objectives. rated BG matches with a team of gamers ranging from casual pvp nubs to me (experienced) to top 2% gamers, all hellbent on having fun was a blast. No "MOAR DOTS!" meltdowns after a loss. Just a quick, "we needed to do this better" post-match, then more drunken karaoke (A spoonful of Asphyx helps the healer go down...) or whatever.

(we may have lost matches, but not once BAC handicap was factored in to play...)
----
get the fuck off my lawn.
ANGEL REAPER

06.11.2014 at 18:39

in no particular order :
Half Life/Half Life 2
C&C Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge
Duke Nukem 3D
Guilty Gear XX Reloaded
Counter Strike 1.6 (yeah that version!)
Bastion/Machinaruim/Hotline Miami (cant choose between those 3)
Deus Ex
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Metal Slug (1-4)

yeah that would be like top 10 in my book.
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
Vombatus
Title

07.11.2014 at 00:16
Hmmmm I have really awkward gaming preferences compared to people around here.... My list would be something like:

Guild Wars - (the first encarnation ! best game ever, no doubt)
Warcraft III - (seriously addicted to this during my early adolescence)
Warcraft II - (the feels and nostalgia I have for this is too much.....)
TES: Oblivion - (only Elder Scroll I played, please don't kill me haha)
Age of Empires I
Dawn of War I
Blood Bowl
Some random Fifa/PES (cool games to play with friends, nice social instrument)

Pretty much the only games that grabbed my attention. Though I'm a PC guy, never liked consoles. But nowadays I don't really play anymore.... sometimes I come back on Guild Wars for a while, that's it. "Mordheim" that is soon to be released did spark my attention, looks promising.
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal

07.11.2014 at 03:52

Top 10 or 5 or 25 or whatever

I'm an FPS and RPG gamer so...in no order...without much thought, I am sure I will forget some...

PC
- Borderlands 2
- all the Deus Ex games
- all the Doom games
- Fallout 3 and NV
- all the Quake games
- all the STALKER games
- all the FEAR games
- all the BioShock games
- all the HalfLife games
- all the Unreal games
- all the FarCry games
- all the Crysis games
- all the Painkiller games
- Oblivion and Skyrim
- both Witcher games (cannot wait for 3)
- Dragon Age Origins
- Tron 2.0
- Mirror's Edge
- Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
- The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (Developer's Cut)

Console
- Final Fantasy 7,8,10,10-2,13
- all the Kings Field games
- GTA III
- Mortal Kombat
----
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPfaQJuWGvU
Dima

07.11.2014 at 04:24
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 06.11.2014 at 18:39

Deus Ex

I love you for showing this love (assuming you're referring to the original).

Written by IronAngel on 06.11.2014 at 14:04

Man I want to get Crash Bash again.

Best party game in the world.
ANGEL REAPER

07.11.2014 at 10:04
Written by Dima on 07.11.2014 at 04:24

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 06.11.2014 at 18:39

Deus Ex

I love you for showing this love (assuming you're referring to the original).

i only played the original
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
Slayer666

07.11.2014 at 11:50
Written by tea[m]ster on 07.11.2014 at 03:52

- Dragon Age 2

We can never, ever be friends, I'm sorry. Some things I just can't overlook.

Quote:

- Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Oh, goddamn it, fine, maybe we can work out our differences.
!J.O.O.E.!
Thought Police

07.11.2014 at 12:58
Childhood stuff I have fond memories of that I would still play again:

(Technically I started with an Atari, and a Master System, but I don't remember all that much, and not much that I would consider them all time faves now, apart from maybe Sonic 1, Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap, Alex Kid in Miracle World, Land of Illusion etc.)

Terrangima, Shining Force 2, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Streets of Rage 2, Rocket Knight Adventures, Dynamite Headdy, Gunstar Heroes, Desert Strike, Jungle Strike, Sonic 1, 2, 3 etc, Flashback, Mortal Kombat 2, Earthworm Jim, Soleil, Road Rash, Ecco The Dolphin, Shinobi III, Herzog Zwei, Mario Kart, Super Bomberman 3, Sim City, Donkey Kong Country 2 and 3, Illusion of Time, Contra III, Doom, F-Zero, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario World, Super Metroid, Zelda: A Link To The Past.

Golden Age Of PS1 RPGs - probably my fave time for gaming (N64 seemed to rule everything that was non-RPG:)

Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 and Tactics, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Suikoden II, Valkyrie Profile, Vagrant Story, Legend of Dragoon, Grandia, Parasite Eve 2, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Colony Wars: Red Sun, Turok 2, 1080 Snowboarding, Star Fox 64, F-Zero X, Banjo Kazooie, GoldenEye, Diddy Kong Racing, Majora's Mask, Ocarina Of Time.

PS2, Gamecube generation:

SMT: Nocturne, Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, SSX Tricky, Xenosagas, Final Fantasy 12, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Okami, Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Suikoden V, Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria, Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner, Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, Resident Evil 4, Tales of Symphonia, Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door, Metroid Prime, Baten Kaitos, Tales of Symphonia, Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Skies of Arcadia

PC, 360, PS4, Wii till now:

Half Life 2, Morrowind, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, The Secret of Monkey Island (Amiga version anyway), Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, Mass Effect series, Dragon Age: Origins, MGS4, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, X-COM: Enemy Unknown, Gears of War, Fable 2, Dead Space, Outlast, Bulletstorm, Metro 2033, Metro: Last Light, Spec Ops: The Line, LIMBO, Xenoblade, Divinity: Original Sin, FTL: Faster Than Light, Starbound, The Swapper, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Alien: Isolation

Think I got into PC gaming too late to appreciate the wealth of stuff on it.
----
Mattybu
BAKING SODA

07.11.2014 at 18:13
Man, I never liked Jak & Daxter all that much. Always thought for that kind of game R&C 1/2 is definitely where it's at. I had the original Jak & Daxter for PS2 but I don't think I ever even finished the game

One of my friends just gifted me Limbo on steam as well, that shit better be good, mans go on about it.
----
Zaphod
The Nothingth

08.11.2014 at 02:11
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 07.11.2014 at 12:58

Long lists of games

What? No Ratchet & Clank? R&C 3 is easily one of my top 10 games of all time.
----
"Solitude sometimes is best society."
― John Milton, Paradise Lost
!J.O.O.E.!
Thought Police

08.11.2014 at 02:17
Written by Zaphod on 08.11.2014 at 02:11

Jeeez, why don't you and Mattybu go off and have Ratchet and Clank babies! I never played it. It's probably a bit late for me to enjoy it now.
----
Zaphod
The Nothingth

08.11.2014 at 02:22
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 08.11.2014 at 02:17

Written by Zaphod on 08.11.2014 at 02:11

Jeeez, why don't you and Mattybu go off and have Ratchet and Clank babies! I never played it. It's probably a bit late for me to enjoy it now.

Oh, I just sort of assumed you had but didn't like them Seeing as Jak And Daxter are in there too and most people who played one series played the other as well.
----
!J.O.O.E.!
Thought Police

08.11.2014 at 02:24
Written by Zaphod on 08.11.2014 at 02:22

Oh, I just sort of assumed you had but didn't like them Seeing as Jak And Daxter are in there too and most people who played one series played the other as well.

Yeah not sure why I never played it. I know I had quite a big gap of not really playing many games and it might have been around that time. I never played any of the other Jak and Daxter games despite really liking the first one. So many games, so little time.
----
Zaphod
The Nothingth

08.11.2014 at 02:31
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 08.11.2014 at 02:24

Yeah not sure why I never played it. I know I had quite a big gap of not really playing many games and it might have been around that time. I never played any of the other Jak and Daxter games despite really liking the first one. So many games, so little time.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm pretty sure I'll never finish watching/reading/listening/playing my lists of films/books/music/games that I have to check out.
By the way, too bad you never continued J&D; Jak 2 was my favorite of the series . I recently played the trilogy again and it was just as enjoyable as I remembered.
----
!J.O.O.E.!
Thought Police

08.11.2014 at 02:33
Written by Zaphod on 08.11.2014 at 02:31

Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm pretty sure I'll never finish watching/reading/listening/playing my lists of films/books/music/games that I have to check out.
By the way, too bad you never continued J&D; Jak 2 was my favorite of the series . I recently played the trilogy again and it was just as enjoyable as I remembered.

I might look into seeing if I could get them cheap (though even if I did buy them I'd probably just emulate them anyway for ease and prettier graphics). Maybe I'll buy Ratchet and Clank and then perhaps my mass of games list will look more complete =P
----
Dima

08.11.2014 at 02:59
Daxter #1 sidekick!
Mattybu
BAKING SODA

08.11.2014 at 04:51
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 08.11.2014 at 02:17

Jeeez, why don't you and Mattybu go off and have Ratchet and Clank babies!

----
IronAngel

09.11.2014 at 12:36
It is surprisingly hard to come up with a top list of games. I'll split it into games I played a lot over the years, and games that best represent my taste today.

Great stuff growing up:
Ape Escape: an underrated gem, I think. Compared to the linear simplicity of Crash Bandicoot or even the fairly conventional Spyro, this game featured beautiful, non-linear and interactive maps with a clear objective: instead of gathering fruit or gems for no reason, you stalk and capture escaped monkeys. The use of both analogue sticks is great, as it the assortment of gadgets you get.

Metal Gear Solid: Enough said. I'm not sure if I'd go back to it today, but it was one of my most intense gaming experiences.

Harvest Moon - Back to Nature: The PS1 installment in the series is my favorite. A town to explore, NPCs to befriend (and marry!), events to participate in, mining, picking flowers, and building up your farm. What's not to love?

Age of Empires/AoE II: I probably played the original more as a kid and have many fond memories, but the sequel is plain better. It's still one of the more diverse and interesting RTS games around, great for multiplayer with friends.

Honorable mentions go to Spyro the Dragon and the sequel, and Theme Park World.

The Best right now:
TES3: Morrowind
Baldur's Gate 2
Deus Ex
Knights of the Old Republic
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy IX
Silent Hill 2
Civilization IV
Crusader Kings II

Advertise on Metal Storm