‹‹ Back to the Recreation Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34
Users visited: 293  
Search this topic:  

The original post

Posted by whatsacow on 11.11.2012 at 16:32
Written by tea[m]ster on 11.11.2012 at 16:21

Written by whatsacow on 11.11.2012 at 01:50

that only did so well because ID's name was attached to it.

First off I am an id fanboy so take away what you want from that. At the time, Doom 3 had the best graphics to date, the Id Tech 4 engine. First time unified lighting and shadowing were implemented in a video game making the play experience very exhilarating. The music and sound effects in the game are terrific probably my favorite part. Doom 3 played in the dark with 5.1 surround audio is the way to experience it. If you take Doom 3 for what it is, a survival-horror corridor shooter, it excels at it very well. By the way, the flashlight can be toggled in the BFG edition

I do like Doom 3, I just don't think it's even remotely scary. As Yahtzee said: "A raccoon jumping in my window can startle me, but that doesn't mean it's the animal version of Stanley Kubrick."
Jump scares are an acceptable tool, but they can't be your only one. You need to create tension as well. You need the player to dread entering the next room. That is horror. Jumping out of a closet and screaming "Boo" is a practical joke. It may startle you, but it won't horrify you.

Page 32 of 34

!J.O.O.E.!
Thought Police

05.08.2014 at 17:13
I got impatient and had a sneaky look at the bosses in the new Dark Souls DLC and I'm pretty appalled. From what I saw it's a re-skin of Guardian Dragon, a re-skin of Nashandra and a trio of standard looking NPCs, one of which is a clone of Havel! They all seem to have similar moves to their original counterparts too. How disappointing and lazy.
----
Slayer666

05.08.2014 at 18:20
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 05.08.2014 at 17:13

I got impatient and had a sneaky look at the bosses in the new Dark Souls DLC and I'm pretty appalled. From what I saw it's a re-skin of Guardian Dragon, a re-skin of Nashandra and a trio of standard looking NPCs, one of which is a clone of Havel! They all seem to have similar moves to their original counterparts too. How disappointing and lazy.

A shame. I remember the bonus content in "Prepare to Die" was awesome. Knight Artorias and Manus were easily the best bosses in the game. I spent almost a full summer day trying to beat Manus, died roughly 30 times.
!J.O.O.E.!
Thought Police

05.08.2014 at 18:21
Written by Slayer666 on 05.08.2014 at 18:20

A shame. I remember the bonus content in "Prepare to Die" was awesome. Knight Artorias and Manus were easily the best bosses in the game. I spent almost a full summer day trying to beat Manus, died roughly 30 times.

I agree, they nailed that DLC through and through. The new one looks pretty bland in terms of locations too.
----
Dima

06.08.2014 at 02:09
The location itself is pretty meh but the level design is great. The dragon really is a re-skin of Kalameet imo. The tri boss was obviously meant to promote summoning but I didn't like it. The 1st boss was quite a cop out too. They did what you shouldn't do and gave the boss some level of difficulty simply by throwing minions into the fray. That's just not creative...
RavenEffect

12.08.2014 at 11:35
Found MGS 5 for 15 on the used games shelf and decided it was a good gift for my sister. Havent played it though, only saw a few minutes of her gameplay and I was stunned by such amazing graphics and complicated plays. The game looks really good.
Dima

13.08.2014 at 03:38
BUILD UP THAT BLOODBORNE HYPE

The weapon change at 1:15 might be one of the hottest things i've seen in a game.

Ilham
attention whore*

13.08.2014 at 03:43
Yeah I saw that video pop up a couple times in my FB feed. I would have totally played that if I had a console. Reminds me of when DMC went out.
Slayer666

13.08.2014 at 03:47
Me upon initially seeing the trailer: "Holy shit, this is so cool! Like an even more eery, Victorian England Dark Souls!"

Me upon realizing Bloodborne will be a PS4 exclusive: "Bah, a cheap Dark Souls clone with a different theme! Big fucking deal! "sobs quietly in the corner^ "
Ilham
attention whore*

13.08.2014 at 04:00
Okay. People. Kojima is working on Silent Hill. And here's a trailer.

RavenEffect

13.08.2014 at 11:20
Saw the thumbnail while scrolling FB this morning. cant wait to actually check the video.
Andro Maximus

15.08.2014 at 21:25
Icewind Dale. First time playing. Have been a huge Bioware fan ever since I first played Baldur's Gate way back in don't remember when. So far, it is living up to expectations. Many have described it as BG's little brother and it is just that, very similar, very addiction, yet a bit smaller and more intimate, if that's the correct word. The area of Forgotten Realms that one gets to explore is not as big, but it feels more homely and inviting. The tree-town of Kuldahar is a location more atmospheric and awesome than any place in BG I and II or any location in Dragon Age I or II was for me. All in all a great game so far, would recommend to anyone and everyone.
----
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Mattybu
#Kony2012

15.08.2014 at 22:00
I got Borderlands 2 the other day and have been playing it, it's fun and probably just as good as the first. Racistly there is no black character to pick so I had to go with Salvador this time around, but I think his action skill is more fun than the soldier class turrets anyways.
Dima

19.08.2014 at 03:13
Went back to Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. What great games. Batman Arkham City is a great example of how open world should be done. That being said Arkham Asylum is more dear to me as in that one you play the detective role a bit more less the open world distractions. It had a larger impact on me.
deadone
Mainstream Poser

19.08.2014 at 04:01
Played the new Tomb Raider. It was disappointing in that it felt the whole world was only the width of an average footpath. It was linearity taken to the extreme - even the fire fights offered little room for maneouvre or different tactics. I guess I'm too used to extreme flexibility offered by games like Watch Dogs or Assassin's Creed.
whatsacow

19.08.2014 at 10:06
Written by deadone on 19.08.2014 at 04:01

Played the new Tomb Raider. It was disappointing in that it felt the whole world was only the width of an average footpath. It was linearity taken to the extreme - even the fire fights offered little room for maneouvre or different tactics. I guess I'm too used to extreme flexibility offered by games like Watch Dogs or Assassin's Creed.

I concur, the new Tomb Raider was fucking dreadful.

Anyway, playing Dead Space 3 at the moment, or at least I was. I was enjoying it, as it was fun, and since Dead Space has never really been a horror series, I didn't mind the shift to action. However, the autosave is thoroughly broken and doesn't save during side missions, and my save file corrupted at 6 hours in. So it can kindly go fuck itself.

Other than that I've been playing Command and Conquer 3, because there hasn't been an RTS release since Starcraft 2, and I want to play something other than that.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
Dima

19.08.2014 at 14:49
Do agree on Tomb Raider being awful. 10% tomb raiding and survival, 90% standard 3rd person shooter.
Dima

20.08.2014 at 03:24
Bloodborne boss footage. Sounds like Attila's doing the voicework

Ilham
attention whore*

20.08.2014 at 03:29
Haha. I stopped what I was doing and watched just because you mentioned Attila.
whatsacow

21.08.2014 at 16:29
Written by Dima on 20.08.2014 at 03:24

Bloodborne boss footage. Sounds like Attila's doing the voicework

So how is this super different from Dark Souls? It's even got those Mummy things from Dark Souls 2...
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
Ilham
attention whore*

21.08.2014 at 16:34
I know I missed like almost a decade of gaming. But to me it really looks more like DMC than Dark Souls. I haven't played Dark Souls (any of them), but from the gameplay vids I have seen, this looks a lot easier and instinctive than DS.
Dima

21.08.2014 at 16:47
Written by whatsacow on 21.08.2014 at 16:29

So how is this super different from Dark Souls? It's even got those Mummy things from Dark Souls 2...

I'm gonna answer your question with a question like a real asshole. How can you build upon near perfection?

Written by Ilham on 21.08.2014 at 16:34

I know I missed like almost a decade of gaming. But to me it really looks more like DMC than Dark Souls. I haven't played Dark Souls (any of them), but from the gameplay vids I have seen, this looks a lot easier and instinctive than DS.

They said they dumbed down the difficulty for the conventions :p
Ilham
attention whore*

21.08.2014 at 16:52
Haha. Looks like it's another game I'll have to avoid if I don't want to end up buying a new monitor after every ragequit.
whatsacow

21.08.2014 at 17:21
Written by Dima on 21.08.2014 at 16:47

Written by whatsacow on 21.08.2014 at 16:29

I'm gonna answer your question with a question like a real asshole. How can you build upon near perfection?

Written by Ilham on 21.08.2014 at 16:34

They said they dumbed down the difficulty for the conventions :p

I heard it was supposed to be hard still, and the main difference was that you play more offensively than defensively. However, at the moment I'm playing a build that uses mainly bows and powerstanced weapons (no shields or magic) and the gameplay seems quite difficult: Attack dodge, recover stamina, repeat.
----
Dima

21.08.2014 at 18:04
Written by whatsacow on 21.08.2014 at 17:21

and the gameplay seems quite difficult

Did you mean to say quite easy?
whatsacow

21.08.2014 at 18:32
Written by Dima on 21.08.2014 at 18:04

Written by whatsacow on 21.08.2014 at 17:21

and the gameplay seems quite difficult

Did you mean to say quite easy?

I meant to say similar. Don't know how the hell I managed that haha.
----
Dima

21.08.2014 at 18:53
Written by whatsacow on 21.08.2014 at 18:32

Lel I don't see any reason for a vast change. So far combat wise, the changes that i'm aware of are no shields and a health leech system where once you get hit by a monster there's a short timeframe immediately after where you'll gain health back for every enemy you hit. Pretty creative if you ask me.

Don't expect a completely different game. I expect them to only slightly build up on the existing formula through addition of guns, transformable weapons, no shields, health leech system etc and I have no problem with that. They just need to not pay attention to anything in Dark Souls 2 and just expand on Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.
!J.O.O.E.!
Thought Police

21.08.2014 at 19:04
"They just need to not pay attention to anything in Dark Souls 2"

Except gameplay. Going back to the feel of the other 2 games would be a huge back step. They feel quite clunky in comparison, partly due to inferior animation.
----
Dima

22.08.2014 at 03:36
I prefer the more palpable weight behind the animations like in Dark Souls :3
whatsacow

22.08.2014 at 06:46
Written by Dima on 21.08.2014 at 18:53

Written by whatsacow on 21.08.2014 at 18:32

Lel I don't see any reason for a vast change. So far combat wise, the changes that i'm aware of are no shields and a health leech system where once you get hit by a monster there's a short timeframe immediately after where you'll gain health back for every enemy you hit. Pretty creative if you ask me.

Don't expect a completely different game. I expect them to only slightly build up on the existing formula through addition of guns, transformable weapons, no shields, health leech system etc and I have no problem with that. They just need to not pay attention to anything in Dark Souls 2 and just expand on Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

My qualm is that it's not a souls game, and they said this would be more action oriented. I have not really seen that. The only difference so far is they've replaced a shield with a gun that works like a ranged parry on some enemies.
----
Dima

22.08.2014 at 07:46
1:40 of the video above you see the health leech. Transforming weapons is in the gamescom trailer. I have no complaints about the game so far ^.^

Advertise on Metal Storm
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34

Login or register to post here.