Metal Storm logo
Chimp Spanner

23.08.2011 - 16:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Because I haven't opened up a new band thread in ages and also because I haven't genuinely liked a prog band in even longer I present to you, the interestingly named, Chimp Spanner.

A one-man band from Essex (only a few miles from where I live) who plays a form of instrumental progressive metal with a heavy ambient component, whose sound could also largely be summed as up "djent" at times. He also makes video game music which is somewhat apparent in Chimp Spanner. Regardless, check the crap out of these and have your socks shot into orbit:

23.08.2011 - 16:56
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Heheh you and your dislike of the djent tag
But yeah, Chip Spanner is a really quality band, whether you want to get sucked into the djent thing or not.
23.08.2011 - 16:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by jupitreas on 23.08.2011 at 16:56

Heheh you and your dislike of the djent tag
But yeah, Chip Spanner is a really quality band, whether you want to get sucked into the djent thing or not.

It's getting harder not to recognise as it were the "djent sound", and there's definitely a bunch in this.
23.08.2011 - 17:05
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
I do not wish to hijack this thread since Chimp Spanner definitely deserves a lot of attention, but I guess this is as good a place as any to share another band that does a somewhat similar thing but with uniquely awesome results.
Cloudkicker
24.08.2011 - 11:47
R'Vannith
ghedengi
This band is by far the best thing I've heard from this djent fad.
30.12.2011 - 14:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Needs more love.
30.12.2011 - 20:58
adace1

Can't wait for the new EP. Amazing artist.
03.01.2012 - 19:21
Susan
Smeghead
How funny. I JUST came across this band like in the last hour. And now there's a thread

Anyway, the songs you posted are pretty damn sweet. I'm excited for the upcoming EP. I love what he does with the build-up in Supererogation.

(Jerry, Cloudkicker's last album was delicious, yes, but I wouldn't say it's completely similar to this, at least to the clips JOE posted. Similar genres perhaps but I wouldn't have stuck this music right next to it.)

Oh, and the band name is awesome
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
03.01.2012 - 19:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Susan on 03.01.2012 at 19:21

How funny. I JUST came across this band like in the last hour. And now there's a thread

Anyway, the songs you posted are pretty damn sweet. I'm excited for the upcoming EP. I love what he does with the build-up in Supererogation.

(Jerry, Cloudkicker's last album was delicious, yes, but I wouldn't say it's completely similar to this, at least to the clips JOE posted. Similar genres perhaps but I wouldn't have stuck this music right next to it.)

Oh, and the band name is awesome

I'm just going to pretend there's some deep and meaningful reason for the name and go with that =P
06.04.2013 - 06:50
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I was inspecting this band further after checking the Anup Sastry review/comments, and holy shit, what a powerful track this is:

06.04.2013 - 14:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by spirit_inblack on 06.04.2013 at 06:50

I was inspecting this band further after checking the Anup Sastry review/comments, and holy shit, what a powerful track this is:

Easily one of my favourite tracks of his. That song has everything.
06.04.2013 - 15:42
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by R'Vannith on 24.08.2011 at 11:47

Get a load of this chump, I was clearly impressed so much by this band that I haven't listened to them since.

^that track is pretty cool, I see what you mean by "it's progressive metal with djent in it"
06.04.2013 - 20:09
Susan
Smeghead

YES. I have heard several amazing "djent" bands, not a ton, but enough to say "djent" is a thing I like these days. Yet, Chimp Spanner is clearly at the top of that list!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
06.04.2013 - 20:36
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
To me it's a tie between Uneven Structure and Chimp Spanner. Right now the later is winning only because the dude has released more goodies. If US come up with another equally great album then they'll be at the top for me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.04.2013 - 03:31
psykometal
A staff guy...
With endorsements from Joe and Rod I think I'll have to check this guy out. I recently decided to check out Wide Eyes, another instrumental djent group, they mix in some electronic elements in a few songs as well.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

09.04.2013 - 11:58
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Susan on 06.04.2013 at 20:09

YES. I have heard several amazing "djent" bands, not a ton, but enough to say "djent" is a thing I like these days. Yet, Chimp Spanner is clearly at the top of that list!

Haven't checked out many djent bands/artists but I seem to enjoy it more when it's mixed well with other sounds, like the symphonic metal of Xerath.