Metal Storm logo
Ideas and suggestions

Original post

Posted by BitterCOld, 24.08.2011 - 20:00
Post yer ideas, thoughts, and suggestions for the website here. thanks.
29.12.2014 - 16:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Hex_Omega on 29.12.2014 at 16:04

From shoutbox

Mary suggestion:
Quote:
Metalstorm needs a new feature : The albums I want to check out. Something like the list of votes on profiles

My suggestions:

1. A list of bands just added to MS database but still with 'invisible' profiles.

2. A change to lists mechanism, so the list could 'recognize' if I want to add full album, single, EP or Demo. There are problems with bands such as Sirrah, Lurker Of Chalice, Tantara, Black Pyramid and many more. The best example of that problem is probably Lurker Of Chalice. Everybody wanted to add full album to their lists -> http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=20970&band_id=2728&bandname=Lurker+Of+Chalice but they added demo http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=20967&band_id=&bandname=Lurker+Of+Chalice just because of the same name.

1 - its good idea actually but you always can look at new reviews there can be new addet bands , but its good idea

2 - maybe they add manually wrote in , if you go to album click add to collection it will do the job, if its manully it can be errors
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.12.2014 - 16:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
About Mary's idea its actually good as well, same option has YT ''watch later'' but all I can recoment atm is , save on desktop world doc band name, album, or do it old fasion way write on paper
----

apos;'
[image]
29.12.2014 - 16:20
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Written by Bad English on 29.12.2014 at 16:12

2 - maybe they add manually wrote in , if you go to album click add to collection it will do the job, if its manully it can be errors

Lets take the example of Lurker Of Chalice. It would be logical to make it that way: If you are writing Lurker Of Chalice | Lurker Of Chalice | the list mechanism should automatically recognize that you want to add full album to your list. If you want to add single/EP/demo etc you should write it that way: Lurker Of Chalice | Lurker Of Chalice [Demo] for example.
29.12.2014 - 16:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Hex_Omega on 29.12.2014 at 16:20

Written by Bad English on 29.12.2014 at 16:12

Lets take the example of Lurker Of Chalice. It would be logical to make it that way: If you are writing Lurker Of Chalice | Lurker Of Chalice | the list mechanism should automatically recognize that you want to add full album to your list. If you want to add single/EP/demo etc you should write it that way: Lurker Of Chalice | Lurker Of Chalice [Demo] for example.

logical, but I doubt anyone ever thought about such ishe before
----

apos;'
[image]
30.12.2014 - 08:35
Darth Revan
Ok, so one thing I noticed is that when you click a link in the shoutbox, you'll be redirected to another site within the same tab, so you leave metalstorm. I think clicking on a link in the Shoutbox should open a new tab rather than redirecting you within the same tab. Small and stupid? Maybe, but I can't count the amount of times I closed a tab that had a throwaway joke on it thinking that I had MS open on another tab, only to discover that there was no such tab. Again, it's laziness incarnate, but just throwing it out there.
30.12.2014 - 11:47
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Darth Revan on 30.12.2014 at 08:35

Ok, so one thing I noticed is that when you click a link in the shoutbox, you'll be redirected to another site within the same tab, so you leave metalstorm. I think clicking on a link in the Shoutbox should open a new tab rather than redirecting you within the same tab. Small and stupid? Maybe, but I can't count the amount of times I closed a tab that had a throwaway joke on it thinking that I had MS open on another tab, only to discover that there was no such tab. Again, it's laziness incarnate, but just throwing it out there.

Just right-click the link and select "Open in new tab". Or if you have a mouse with a scroll wheel, the scroll wheel is also a button, click the link with the scroll wheel and that will open the link in a new tab.

On a smart phone you can long press the link and click "Open in new tab".
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

30.12.2014 - 14:17
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by psykometal on 30.12.2014 at 11:47

Just right-click the link and select "Open in new tab". Or if you have a mouse with a scroll wheel, the scroll wheel is also a button, click the link with the scroll wheel and that will open the link in a new tab.

I think he is giving a suggestion on "opening a link in different tab" not asking "how to open a link in new tab?", psyko.
30.12.2014 - 15:27
Darth Revan
Written by psykometal on 30.12.2014 at 11:47

Part of the reason I was saying this suggestion is the epitome of laziness... right-clicking and then selecting open in new tab takes a fraction of a second longer, and the main issue for me is that I don't always remember to do it.
30.12.2014 - 16:22
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
@Ambrish - No shit, Sherlock!

@Both of you - I'm not a coder, so I certainly have no idea how simple or easy this would be to code, but if it was up to me I'd tell you straight up that such coding is totally unnecessary when the much easier fix is to just tell you to be milliseconds less lazy and train yourself to do like everybody else does.

However, since it's not my site, or my job to code, I'll run it up the poll and see what Ivan wants to do.
----

30.12.2014 - 16:36
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Hex_Omega on 29.12.2014 at 16:04

From shoutbox
Mary suggestion:
Quote:
Metalstorm needs a new feature : The albums I want to check out. Something like the list of votes on profiles

Oh thank you. I hope that staffers will consider it.
----
The Fangirl.
30.12.2014 - 16:56
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
What's wrong with the "Want" feature...?
----

30.12.2014 - 17:00
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Or why not create a List if you desire to be able to discuss what you want to check out, and receive feedback on whether others agree that you should want to check those albums out?
----

30.12.2014 - 17:13
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by psykometal on 30.12.2014 at 16:56

Well that's for purchasing physical copies of albums, isn't it ?

Written by psykometal on 30.12.2014 at 17:00

Or why not create a List if you desire to be able to discuss what you want to check out, and receive feedback on whether others agree that you should want to check those albums out?

maybe... but it's not that I want to discuss these albums with people to see that if I should check them out or nope, you know I'm talking about a sort of reminder ( of the albums that users will listen) that can be added to user profiles, something like "watch later" in YouTube, I think it helps a lot.

However, it's up to staffers to see if it's really useful or nope.
----
The Fangirl.
30.12.2014 - 18:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
New tab is not necessary, 99.9% sites has no that, each link same window, that's why there are option new tab or window plus you can make it as settings as well, each new link new tab, winow
----

apos;'
[image]
30.12.2014 - 18:27
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
@Mary Traditionally, yes, the Want feature is to create a List of albums you want to acquire; doesn't necessarily mean physical copy, could be physical or digital, it just means you want to acquire ownership of that album. But that doesn't mean you can't use it for reminding you of albums to check out. That's how I use it, my Want list is just a list of albums I would like to check out.

@Revan Actually I think BE is right about there being a browser setting in which you set the default to automatically open all links in new tabs.
----

30.12.2014 - 18:48
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Fair enough, Zep.
----
The Fangirl.
30.12.2014 - 19:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by psykometal on 30.12.2014 at 18:27

@Mary Traditionally, yes, the Want feature is to create a List of albums you want to acquire; doesn't necessarily mean physical copy, could be physical or digital, it just means you want to acquire ownership of that album. But that doesn't mean you can't use it for reminding you of albums to check out. That's how I use it, my Want list is just a list of albums I would like to check out.

@Revan Actually I think BE is right about there being a browser setting in which you set the default to automatically open all links in new tabs.

just like that Italian guy who add every single album in his list LOL , what is his name, cant remember

and yes there are such settings , but I don't wanna search, I am fuckiung whit phone atm
----

apos;'
[image]
30.12.2014 - 20:16
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by angel. on 30.12.2014 at 18:48

Fair enough, Zep.

Not trying to dash your hopes and dreams, just giving some options that already exist that you could use instead to save Ivan from some unnecessary coding.
----

30.12.2014 - 20:36
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by psykometal on 30.12.2014 at 20:16

Not trying to dash your hopes and dreams, just giving some options that already exist that you could use instead to save Ivan from some unnecessary coding.

Ok I got the picture.
----
The Fangirl.
30.12.2014 - 22:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by angel. on 30.12.2014 at 20:36

Written by psykometal on 30.12.2014 at 20:16

Ok I got the picture.

I thin metal archives has such option, even I use MA for datebase, only, on rare accessions log in
----

apos;'
[image]
01.01.2015 - 02:15
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by angel. on 30.12.2014 at 17:13

Written by psykometal on 30.12.2014 at 16:56

Well that's for purchasing physical copies of albums, isn't it ?

Written by psykometal on 30.12.2014 at 17:00

maybe... but it's not that I want to discuss these albums with people to see that if I should check them out or nope, you know I'm talking about a sort of reminder ( of the albums that users will listen) that can be added to user profiles, something like "watch later" in YouTube, I think it helps a lot.

However, it's up to staffers to see if it's really useful or nope.

You could save a page (MS profile, youtube video, bandcamp...) to the favorites in your internet options.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
01.01.2015 - 02:51
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Why the hell does everybody think all of that kind of stuff is specific to physical copies only?! I've never seen anything that states the Want or Own features can only be used to indicate physical copies. And even if there is or was, why is everybody so close-minded...?
----

01.01.2015 - 10:24
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Zep, sorry for the mistake I brought on here, I actually should have said that it was a feature for purchasing any copy, I don't know why I just mentioned physical copies, maybe it's because technically I can't buy them and have them. Excuse me anyway.
----
The Fangirl.
01.01.2015 - 12:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by psykometal on 01.01.2015 at 02:51

Why the hell does everybody think all of that kind of stuff is specific to physical copies only?! I've never seen anything that states the Want or Own features can only be used to indicate physical copies. And even if there is or was, why is everybody so close-minded...?

look at Marcel's list again
----

apos;'
[image]
01.01.2015 - 23:22
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by angel. on 01.01.2015 at 10:24

Zep, sorry for the mistake I brought on here, I actually should have said that it was a feature for purchasing any copy, I don't know why I just mentioned physical copies, maybe it's because technically I can't buy them and have them. Excuse me anyway.

I'm not bitching at any one person. Is just a general statement meant to be rhetorical. I just think it's silly how stuck everybody is on physical copies. I'm just completely on the digital side of the fence. My entire collection is digital, and I have away all the physical CDs I used to own and don't even bother with physical.
----

02.01.2015 - 13:13
angel.
Evil Butterfly
I have another suggestion too, how about adding a statistic based on the albums a user voted ? It will show from what genre the user had voted the albums higher ? (actually by means of a diagram) There is the same sort of thing in collection feature but not for the votes.
----
The Fangirl.
02.01.2015 - 13:17
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by angel. on 02.01.2015 at 13:13

I have another suggestion too, how about adding a statistic based on the albums a user voted ? It will show from what genre the user had voted the albums higher ? Actually by means of a diagram.

Like a way of showing the average rating you gave to any 1 genre (the main ones that show up in the pie chart in member's profiles) to see which genres you rate higher? I've always wanted something like that.
----
02.01.2015 - 13:53
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by M C Vice on 02.01.2015 at 13:17

Like a way of showing the average rating you gave to any 1 genre (the main ones that show up in the pie chart in member's profiles) to see which genres you rate higher? I've always wanted something like that.

Yeah that's it, and also a diagram to show that I voted albums higher from which place, for example from NL or Fr, or US I picked more albums that I voted to rate 10 or no.
----
The Fangirl.
02.01.2015 - 14:09
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by angel. on 02.01.2015 at 13:53

Written by M C Vice on 02.01.2015 at 13:17

Yeah that's it, and also a diagram to show that I voted albums higher from which place, for example from NL or Fr, or US I picked more albums that I voted to rate 10 or no.

You know how you click on one of the countries of genres in the pie charts and it shows all your albums from that country/genre? The rating average and stuf could go on that page, like it does on the total votes page.
----
02.01.2015 - 14:12
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by M C Vice on 02.01.2015 at 14:09

You know how you click on one of the countries of genres in the pie charts and it shows all your albums from that country/genre? The rating average and stuf could go on that page, like it does on the total votes page.

Yeah something like that and it would be really useful I think.
----
The Fangirl.