Metal Storm logo
Ideas and suggestions

Original post

Posted by BitterCOld, 24.08.2011 - 20:00
Post yer ideas, thoughts, and suggestions for the website here. thanks.
15.04.2012 - 04:35
tyrfing

Okay, here's is one more that I think would be a real improvement:

• Show genre/styles for album on album page, as well as in album listings (discography)

I assume this information is already tied to each album separately, since it's possible to filter by style in album search?
21.04.2012 - 04:19
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
When you hit the bands drop down, there should be a link that takes you to the band suggestions.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
26.04.2012 - 23:47
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
I am thinking bandcamp links should be a permanent part of a band's "links" in the header. Why should I have to click "show more" ?
----
rekt
26.04.2012 - 23:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by tea[m]ster on 26.04.2012 at 23:47
I am thinking bandcamp links should be a permanent part of a band's "links" in the header. Why should I have to click "show more" ?

It's whatever three links are added first, with MySpace assuming the number one position because we're seriously outdated when it comes to that.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.04.2012 - 23:57
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Troy Killjoy on 26.04.2012 at 23:50

Written by tea[m]ster on 26.04.2012 at 23:47

It's whatever three links are added first, with MySpace assuming the number one position because we're seriously outdated when it comes to that.

Ah shit, my bad Troy. Nix the myspace player links ffs! Can members suggest editing that for specific bands? Rather see a bandcamp link than an out of date myspace link.
----
rekt
27.04.2012 - 00:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 27.04.2012 at 00:08
This isn't an official truth, just my views on this thing.

Pretty decent run-down if you ask me.

Also, when did MySpace become Myspace? :/
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.04.2012 - 00:23
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by Guest on 27.04.2012 at 00:08

This isn't an official truth, just my views on this thing.

Don't I feel like a horses ass
----
rekt
27.04.2012 - 00:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 27.04.2012 at 00:25
Pretty much ever since it started to suck.

Just looked it up... huh. Well there's another problem to add to the mix! There's only what... a few thousand profiles with "MySpace" links.
----
27.04.2012 - 01:04
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Guest on 14.04.2012 at 15:33

[joke] Oh, and a new MS product: ShoutBoxers. Cool & Official MS boxers with some of the best Shoutbox stories printed on them. [/joke]

You might be joking, but I'd pay money for this... nothing sexier than logging into MS when it's night in North America and watching all the gay sex taking place in the SB.
----
7.0 means the album is good
27.04.2012 - 14:53
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Milena on 27.04.2012 at 01:04

Written by Guest on 14.04.2012 at 15:33

[joke] Oh, and a new MS product: ShoutBoxers. Cool & Official MS boxers with some of the best Shoutbox stories printed on them. [/joke]

You might be joking, but I'd pay money for this... nothing sexier than logging into MS when it's night in North America and watching all the gay sex taking place in the SB.

I'm wearing a pair right now
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
16.05.2012 - 06:48
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Can we have a SoundCloud player featured just like a Youtube video is featured with a proper code?
17.05.2012 - 10:01
Ivan
Retired Admin
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 16.05.2012 at 06:48

Can we have a SoundCloud player featured just like a Youtube video is featured with a proper code?

Not easy. For Youtube it's enough just to have the video code (which is in its URL), but for SoundCloud you need a lot of different parameters, which are not readily available.
17.05.2012 - 10:53
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Ivan on 17.05.2012 at 10:01

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 16.05.2012 at 06:48

Not easy. For Youtube it's enough just to have the video code (which is in its URL), but for SoundCloud you need a lot of different parameters, which are not readily available.

Well, thanks ya. Hope the source code for SoundCloud or any other subsequent streams can be readily available soon as it only helps MS users to access it easily.
17.05.2012 - 22:40
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 17.05.2012 at 22:33
I don't think the Default line-up thing is a good addition. It increases false information.

+1000.

Literally 90% of the albums on this site are generated with inaccurate line-ups, and it's impossible to keep up with it all.
----
17.05.2012 - 22:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 17.05.2012 at 22:50
Of course not.

Especially considering that area of the park is one of the more obscure locations, yet those who make note of seeing it definitely notice the heap of trash and voice their disgust to Park Management.
----
18.05.2012 - 13:07
Ivan
Retired Admin
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.05.2012 at 22:40

I don't think the Default line-up thing is a good addition. It increases false information.

+1000.

Literally 90% of the albums on this site are generated with inaccurate line-ups, and it's impossible to keep up with it all.

Default lineup will now only appear if the 'Use default lineup' box is checked. How about this solution?
18.05.2012 - 15:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 18.05.2012 at 13:19
It's better, that's for sure. But even with this the editors should be well aware of the bands line-up changes. As an example: Some band releases two EP's and an album in the same year, all of them with different line-ups. If an editor now uses the default line-up thing it takes all those three line-ups, sums them up and creates a weird line-up. But I think it's fine for now... don't know what Troy has to say about this.

Same camp as you for the time being. The problem still exists with differing members in the same year, but at least the option for a default line-up makes it so it isn't auto-generated.
----
19.05.2012 - 04:28
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

+1 more.

We had a major error that said Attila preformed on Live In Lepzig.

I'm sure with an error like that there is bound to be 100's more.

The new idea should work a little better though, however.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
31.05.2012 - 06:01
FOOCK Nam

I find that when finding topic created, they are mixed with forum topics and news and review topic. Why not separates it as 2 section Topic created as all Topic made by the user, and News and Reviews comment... could be more articulated...
31.05.2012 - 23:05
theFIST

What about a page for upcoming events ranked by the number of bands of one"s favourites playing there?
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
01.06.2012 - 09:50
Timmeh
Dudeman
Perhaps a way to expand/collapse album threads into two parts; pre-release and post-release. Most pre album release comments are mainly people screaming how they want the album now/release date is so far away etc. Where as post release most users give their thoughts on the album. After an album is released I only want to read about peoples opinions not have to sift through all the generic pre-release comments.

Not a big deal, but just thought I'd throw the idea out there.
01.06.2012 - 20:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Timmeh on 01.06.2012 at 09:50
Not a big deal, but just thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Album threads are currently being discussed among Staff, but this is definitely a good idea. Good enough to pitch to Ivan via PM if you ask me.
----
01.06.2012 - 21:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 01.06.2012 at 21:17
Easy solution? Click only those threads you wanna read.

Or lock the pre-release threads so they're deleted after 6 months and continue with the post-release thread.
----
01.06.2012 - 21:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Anything's better than having three pages of useless comments about how excited people are for an upcoming release.

Just look at Wintersun's Time thread...
----
01.06.2012 - 22:28
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I don't have a problem with discussion (my post count is proof of that) so removing album threads entirely isn't what I'm suggesting - just locking the pre-release discussion thread once the album is officially released. At least that way posts are separated - the pre-release thread where all comments are either opinions based on a band's history or predictions based on what the album will sound like, and the post-release thread where comments are primarily focused on what the album actually sounds like.
----
02.06.2012 - 06:13
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.06.2012 at 20:55
Good enough to pitch to Ivan via PM if you ask me.

Done. I've sent him the link to this discussion so he'll probably reply here, if not I'll let ya's no.
02.06.2012 - 08:32
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.06.2012 at 21:22

Or lock the pre-release threads so they're deleted after 6 months and continue with the post-release thread.

I like where this line of discussion went.

Having a pre and post release thread would be nice, and locking the pre threads so they get deleted after 6 months...capital idea! Nobody fucking cares about pre-release comments anywhere near 6 months after the release, hell I'd be inclined to say to just go ahead and delete the pointless/worthless pre-release threads the day of release. Or maybe instead of 2 different threads, just code the site to auto delete the album threads @ midnight on release day so that there are no more pre-release comments associated to the album and users will have to create a new thread to make post-release comments...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

02.06.2012 - 10:33
Ivan
Retired Admin
I don't like the idea of having two separate threads for one albums (also, it's impossible to link them both to the album page). The idea I like the best is to keep everything in one thread, but mark pre-release posts for auto-termination (let's say, in 6 months after release date). This will also work with changing release dates (which happens a lot).
02.06.2012 - 11:03
Timmeh
Dudeman
Written by Ivan on 02.06.2012 at 10:33
The idea I like the best is to keep everything in one thread, but mark pre-release posts for auto-termination...

While I do like the idea of deleting the said posts, keeping everything in the same thread; what about an auto-hide function? After the release date all pre-release posts are grouped and hidden (Sort of like youtube too many negative votes, click to show) where you would have to manually click to show all the pre-release posts, or like one of those expandable menus something like...

-----------Album Thread----------

Pre-album Release posts (+) (automatically set to hide, click to show)
Post-album Release posts (-) (displayed by default)
-
-
- Posts show normally etc.

Would something like this be difficult to implement?
02.06.2012 - 21:50
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Ivan on 02.06.2012 at 10:33

(let's say, in 6 months after release date)

Maybe it's just me but 6 months seems like a long to keep something in the database that, most likely, no one is going to read after probably a week of release (if even that long); I'd probably set them to auto delete after like a month (or maybe 3 months tops). But it's your call boss, just makin' my suggestions...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~