Metal Storm logo
Metal Trivia Questions

Original post

Posted by Dane Train, 02.10.2006 - 01:15
Hey guys!

How is everyone doing? I hope all is going well. I have a question for everyone here. I need some Metal trivia questions. Every Monday evening we hold worship, and there is a social time beforehand, and we have been working to educate people on the Metal culture. It has proven to be a very helpful way of doing this lesson, as apposed to someone sitting there and giving a lecture.

Now what we did last week was type up 11 or 12 questions, taped them all around the room, and gave people sheets with lines for the answers and had them walk around the room. Not only did this help build community, it also really taught people there is more to metal than big hair, bat heads and screaming.

Where I could use some help is in the area of questions. They can be true/false, multipule choice, or even fill in the blank.
Some examples of questions we have had were:
  • Which Nation has the most metal bands?
  • How many bat heads has Ozzy bitten off?
  • Which are not real genres of metal (we had things like Projector, Blood and Evil mixxed in with Folk, Gothic and Power)
  • Do all metal bands have guitars?

So I think you get the idea. If people here could come up with questions that would be great. I think this will also be fun for people on the site to quiz each other with. Now, keep the questions rather simple to begin with. Most people won't know which album was the first to use a 7-string guitar in it's full potential. Feel free to make some of them funny. Metal isn't all serious, I mean, look at Poision of Korn!? Also, including the answers would be great.

Thanks everyone,

Hemlock \m/
  • 18.12.2006 - 20:52
    Marcel Hubregtse
    Grumpy Old Fuck
    elite
    Written by Sunioj on 18.12.2006 at 20:26

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.12.2006 at 15:43

Meshuggah comes from the Yiddish word for "crazy" In holland a bastardized dutch version of the word is quite often used "mesjogge" meaning of course "crazy"

Thats right! I didnt know that about the dutch version though, thats pretty goddamn funny.

Well, the dutch version 'mesjogge' originated in Amsterdam, which as you might know, has a long Jewish history with a large Jewish community.
    ----
    Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
    Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
    05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.12.2006 - 22:26
    RavenLord
    Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.12.2006 at 20:50

Please put me out of my misery cause you got me totally stumped on this one. And I don't have the early days dvd, nor all the b-sides

Okay. You got Paul Day, Dennis Wilcock, Paul Di'Anno, Bruce Dickinson and Blaze Bayley right. The other three you're looking for are....

Steve Harris, Adrian Smith and Nicko McBrain!

Steve Harris sang live lead vocals for one night when Paul Di'Anno was arrested for having a knife
    Adrian Smith sang lead vocals on the songs 'Reach Out', 'Juanita' and 'That Girl', some of which were played during the secret gig Maiden played during the 80's as 'The Entire Population of Hackney'
    Nicko McBrain sang lead vocals on a...ahem....'reworked' version of 'The Age of Innocence' on the 'No More Lies' EP.

All of these can be classed as 'lead vocal' performances as opposed to 'backing' or 'spoken parts'.
    ----
    18.12.2006 - 22:46
    Sunioj
    True or false: Ashmedi from Melechesh is of Israeli origin.

What real life story is 'Open Casket' by Death pertaining to?
    18.12.2006 - 23:17
    Marcel Hubregtse
    Grumpy Old Fuck
    elite
    Written by Sunioj on 18.12.2006 at 22:46

I don't think Ashmedi was born in Israel, but I can't remember where he was born though.
    ----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
    05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.12.2006 - 17:48
    Dane Train
    Beers & Kilts
    elite
    Who was the guest vocalist on Dream Theater's 1997 album [u]Falling into Infinity[/i]?

Johnathan Davis, from Korn, had a personal microphone stand made by who?

Joke question: Who has Arjen Lucassen not worked with? Haha.
    ----
    (space for rent)
    19.12.2006 - 18:43
    Marcel Hubregtse
    Grumpy Old Fuck
    elite
    Written by Dane Train on 19.12.2006 at 17:48

Who was the guest vocalist on Dream Theater's 1997 album [u]Falling into Infinity[/i]?

Johnathan Davis, from Korn, had a personal microphone stand made by who?

Joke question: Who has Arjen Lucassen not worked with? Haha.

The Jonathan Davis one is easy as pie since that mic stand was made by my favourite artist... him of Celtic Frost, E.L.P. Blondie cover artwork, him of the Alien monster. Mr. H.R. Giger himself.

answer to joke question Arjen Lucassen hasn't worked with most Dutch metal artists, although he worked with most international metal artists
    ----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
    05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.12.2006 - 20:30
    Dane Train
    Beers & Kilts
    elite
    Haha, that is right Oz. Arjen did use an all Dutch cast for his first Ayreon album, The Finial Experiment.

And I am glad you know that Giger did the artwork for ELP, Celtic Frost, and Blondie. He also did an album centerfold for The Dead Kennedy's.
    ----
    (space for rent)
    19.12.2006 - 21:42
    Marcel Hubregtse
    Grumpy Old Fuck
    elite
    Written by Dane Train on 19.12.2006 at 20:30

Haha, that is right Oz. Arjen did use an all Dutch cast for his first Ayreon album, The Finial Experiment.

And I am glad you know that Giger did the artwork for ELP, Celtic Frost, and Blondie. He also did an album centerfold for The Dead Kennedy's.

Didn't the Dead Kennedy's use an already existing work? But I might be wrong there.

And apparently I am wrong about the Final Experiment. I didn't know he used an all Dutch cast there.
    I just looked it up, although all of the artists on that album are regarded as Dutch...
    Ian Parry is originally an Englishmam, and Barry Hay is originally an American although he did move to the Netherlands at a very young age.

Btw, Danzig also used an existing Giger peice of art for the cover of How The Gods Kill.
    ----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
    05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.12.2006 - 23:34
    Dane Train
    Beers & Kilts
    elite
    Yes, you are right, Penis Landscape was painted in 1973 and Frankenchrist came out in 1985.

I found this list on Wikipedia of artists who have used Giger's work:
    * Celtic Frost
    * Magma
    * Emerson Lake and Palmer
    * Deborah Harry (from Blondie)
    * hide
    * Danzig
    * Dead Kennedys' album Frankenchrist, Poster insert of Landscape XX
    * Atrocity
    * Black Sun Productions
    * Korn's Jonathan Davis commissioned Giger to sculpt his microphone stand
    * Carcass used Life Support 1993 for the cover of their 1994 album, Heartwork.
    * Designed the stage for Mylene Farmer's 1999 "Mylenium" tour.
    * Blondie's Chris Stein commissioned Lieber Guitars to create Stein's unique "Gigerstein" guitar based on Giger's artwork.

Also, just kind of interesting that we are talking about Giger and Arjen, 'cause Arjen wrote a song "Perfect Survivor" based upon Riddley Scott's Alien, which Giger designed.
    ----
    (space for rent)
    20.12.2006 - 01:15
    Marcel Hubregtse
    Grumpy Old Fuck
    elite
    Written by Dane Train on 19.12.2006 at 23:34

Yes, you are right, Penis Landscape was painted in 1973 and Frankenchrist came out in 1985.

I found this list on Wikipedia of artists who have used Giger's work:
    * Celtic Frost
    * Magma
    * Emerson Lake and Palmer
    * Deborah Harry (from Blondie)
    * hide
    * Danzig
    * Dead Kennedys' album Frankenchrist, Poster insert of Landscape XX
    * Atrocity
    * Black Sun Productions
    * Korn's Jonathan Davis commissioned Giger to sculpt his microphone stand
    * Carcass used Life Support 1993 for the cover of their 1994 album, Heartwork.
    * Designed the stage for Mylene Farmer's 1999 "Mylenium" tour.
    * Blondie's Chris Stein commissioned Lieber Guitars to create Stein's unique "Gigerstein" guitar based on Giger's artwork.

Also, just kind of interesting that we are talking about Giger and Arjen, 'cause Arjen wrote a song "Perfect Survivor" based upon Riddley Scott's Alien, which Giger designed.

Oh yes forgot about Atrocity, probably because I never liked them.

But stupid stupid stupid me forgetting about the cover art for Cracass' Heartwork. The other names that haven't been mentioned before don't ring a bell for me at all.

Damn, just looking at Giger's website how could I forget Sacrosanct's Recesses for the Depraved. I have that one myself hahahaha.

but a tip for people .... check out www.hrgiger.com

And he published a couple of great books (a bit expensive though) with his works and life story in ot. Thos I have and I do cherish...
    ----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
    05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.12.2006 - 15:30
    Sunioj
    Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.12.2006 at 23:17

I don't think Ashmedi was born in Israel, but I can't remember where he was born though.

Ashmedi is Armenian, though I never knew him personally quite a few of my older metalhead bretheren were friends with him in the scene long long ago...( which gave me access to melecheshs debut without paying! )

That Giger guy sounds like a real artist, I always wondered about that funny looking mic stand.
    25.12.2006 - 04:34
    Dane Train
    Beers & Kilts
    elite
    Here is one for all the Old Guys, like Marcel, haha.

What early blues/metal band spawned Cream, The Jeff Beck Group and Led Zeppelin?

Also, Who was the guest vocalist on Dream Theater's 1997 album Falling into Infinity?
    ----
    (space for rent)
    22.03.2007 - 04:30
    Paganblood
    The Aryaputra
    I just read (maybe in MS trivia for mayhem) that hellhammer played drums with Dead's bones. does anyone know something more on this?
    ----
    that which shines without names and forms...
    09.05.2007 - 22:22
    Dane Train
    Beers & Kilts
    elite
    Ok, here is a good question for you all.

Which two Canadian Metal Vocalist share the same birthday? Hint: They both sang on a 2004 album together.
    ----
    (space for rent)
    21.05.2007 - 19:05
    wrathchild
    staff
    Written by Dane Train on 25.12.2006 at 04:34

Also, Who was the guest vocalist on Dream Theater's 1997 album Falling into Infinity?

Since you asked that twice, I guess it's time to answer: Doug Pinnick of King's X, on the song "Lines In The Sand".

Sorry I don't have any question to ask for now...
    ----
    La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
    Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
    22.05.2007 - 20:50
    Dane Train
    Beers & Kilts
    elite
    That is right Wrathchild. You win...um...ah...a...um...mashmellow.

Just let us know when you have a new question.
    ----
    (space for rent)
    22.05.2007 - 21:41
    Stalker
    Lone wanderer

Since nobody answered - I think its about Chuck's older brother who died when he was 6 or something..

I cant think of some good questions now.... But here's easy one: Name of the Iron Maiden's keyboardist???
    ----
    23.05.2007 - 00:15
    RavenLord
    Written by Stalker on 22.05.2007 at 21:41

I cant think of some good questions now.... But here's easy one: Name of the Iron Maiden's keyboardist???

Michael Kenney, also Steve Harris' bass technician.
    ----
    23.05.2007 - 16:13
    Stalker
    Lone wanderer
    Written by RavenLord on 23.05.2007 at 00:15

Michael Kenney, also Steve Harris' bass technician.
    Yeah.. Real tough one, huh?
    ----
    23.05.2007 - 17:09
    hanna of steel
    Poison Girl
    Written by Dane Train on 25.12.2006 at 04:34

Here is one for all the Old Guys, like Marcel, haha.

What early blues/metal band spawned Cream, The Jeff Beck Group and Led Zeppelin?

The early blues-metal band was The Yardbirds.
    ----
    Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
    25.05.2007 - 10:34
    Sunioj

Since nobody answered - I think its about Chuck's older brother who died when he was 6 or something..

Yeah he died in a car accident...I appreciated the song much more after reading about the background of the song.
    26.05.2007 - 00:24
    RavenLord
    Written by Paganblood on 22.03.2007 at 04:30

I just read (maybe in MS trivia for mayhem) that hellhammer played drums with Dead's bones. does anyone know something more on this?

I doubt that. We all know Mayhem want to appear controversial, and I'm sure they'd sex things up a bit surrounding Dead's death. To actually get two of his bones out would be a ridiculously disgusting experience, and butchering a corpse is probably a felony in Norway. I also doubt that they sent pieces of his brain anywhere. Still, this is Mayhem, who like to play with fucking pigs' heads on stage, so who knows? I wouldn't put it past the immature bastards.
    ----
    02.06.2007 - 12:26
    Paganblood
    The Aryaputra
    Written by RavenLord on 26.05.2007 at 00:24

Written by Paganblood on 22.03.2007 at 04:30

I doubt that. We all know Mayhem want to appear controversial, and I'm sure they'd sex things up a bit surrounding Dead's death. To actually get two of his bones out would be a ridiculously disgusting experience, and butchering a corpse is probably a felony in Norway. I also doubt that they sent pieces of his brain anywhere. Still, this is Mayhem, who like to play with fucking pigs' heads on stage, so who knows? I wouldn't put it past the immature bastards.

It may be nothing more than a rumor... rumors seem interesting only because they express things difficult to believe, and these are the jewels of rumors!
    ----
    that which shines without names and forms...
    26.08.2007 - 06:52
    Dane Train
    Beers & Kilts
    elite
    Ok, here is one. 5,000 extar pionts to who ever gets this right.

Who are Abdul Matahari, Nicky Lemons, Johnny James, Juice Malouse, and Max Del Fuvio?
    ----
    (space for rent)
    26.08.2007 - 10:01
    Eternal Flames
    Written by Dane Train on 26.08.2007 at 06:52

Ok, here is one. 5,000 extar pionts to who ever gets this right.

Who are Abdul Matahari, Nicky Lemons, Johnny James, Juice Malouse, and Max Del Fuvio?

Nightmare Cinema. Coincidentally, I was just watching one of their clips on youtube earlier today
    27.08.2007 - 03:34
    SteelScream
    Account deleted
    Answers to the questions:
    # Which Nation has the most metal bands? Scandinavian and Baltic states (U.S.A. Probably - irrelevant bands)
    # How many bat heads has Ozzy bitten off? Who cares ? 2 ?
    # Which are not real genres of metal (we had things like Projector, Blood and Evil mixxed in with Folk, Gothic and Power) Heavy, Death, Black, Power, Symphonic, Thrash are the ONLY main metal genres. Everything else is doo-doo
    # Do all metal bands have guitars?Yes, and they fuckin' SHOULD have.
    29.08.2007 - 16:07
    4look4rd
    The Sasquatch
    Written by Guest on 27.08.2007 at 03:34

# Which are not real genres of metal (we had things like Projector, Blood and Evil mixxed in with Folk, Gothic and Power) Heavy, Death, Black, Power, Symphonic, Thrash are the ONLY main metal genres. Everything else is doo-doo

So prog, doom, folk, and goth are not metal subgenres?
    ----
    29.08.2007 - 16:25
    Judas
    The Amputator
    Alright, here's one for all avid readers.

Many metal bands refer to 'Cthulhu', 'Shub-Niggurath', 'Kara-Shehr', 'Azathoth', 'Ry'Leh', 'Djinn', 'Necronomicon' and other related terms in their works. Which writer was the original inventor of these mythologies?
    ----
    "Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
    29.08.2007 - 18:30
    shaggy
    easy.. HP Lovecraft
    29.08.2007 - 20:23
    baldur
    Written by Guest on 27.08.2007 at 03:34

# Do all metal bands have guitars?Yes, and they fuckin' SHOULD have.

nope, apocalyptica is a metal band that hasnt guitars