Metal Storm logo
Bands with 6 or more albums of which none are duds.

Original post

Posted by listmor, 28.08.2011 - 03:26
Think hard of the bands you like that have released six or more studio albums.

Which of those bands can you say that you thoroughly enjoy every album.

I love Black Sabbath but I don't really rate any of the albums after the Gillan one, and I think Never Say Die is great.

The big 4 of thrash have all had some albums that many would agree were terrible compared to their best, maybe I could argue that Slayer havent.

Of course bands cant make every album the same and their artistic expression changes so that we may no longer revere their work, but everyone has those bands that they beleive have never created anything but excellence.

I propose Judas Priest and Sodom.

Who do you propose, remembering a minimum of 6 studio albmus for the band to be eligible.
20.08.2012 - 13:17
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.08.2012 at 12:45
I would say he is asking if a dud is anything lower than 6.

That was the point of my post. I felt we just had to go with the idea of "bands with 6 albums that aren't bad". I never connected this thread with the MS rating system though... I just thought about "6 albums which aren't bad". But looking back at the OP, yeah... you can apply the MS rating system.... but it shouldn't matter since it's not like I agree with so many overall ratings here.... So going with numbers seems kind of weird. But yeah...Shit is pretty awkward now.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
20.08.2012 - 13:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.08.2012 at 13:17

That was the point of my post. I feel it was pretty clear to go with the idea that "bands with 6 albums that aren't bad". I never connected this thread with the MS rating system though... I just thought about "6 albums which aren't bad". But looking back at the OP, yeah... you can apply the MS rating system.... but it shouldn't matter since it's not like I agree with so many overall ratings here.... Shit is pretty awkward now.

I still think you misunderstand it. Loads of people will say that if you regard something as a 7 that that would be a dud already. Hell just reread reviews where an album gets a 7 and then people in the comments complain about the rating saying the album isn't bad so shouldn't get a 7.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.08.2012 - 13:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I was pretty much going on a 7 or 7.5 or above ethos with this. "Good" albums and over basically.
20.08.2012 - 13:28
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.08.2012 at 13:25
Loads of people will say that if you regard something as a 7 that that would be a dud already.

Yeah, I can see that... I worded it out pretty bad and that's exactly what I was thinking. What I felt was weird about his post was exactly that because he listed some bands with overall score in their full lengths over 6.... Which wouldn't tell me anything at all since if I see a band with overal scores of 6-7 I will definitely think they are crappy or just not interesting at all not to mention that I would never bring MS numbers into this thread considering how much I disgaree with the response to some albums. He even listen bands like Xasthur with a "kind of" and I don't see the point in posting those names if you don't agree with it yourself.
----
Rod, let me love you.
20.08.2012 - 17:24
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick

Written by X-Ray Rod on 20.08.2012 at 12:10

Not sure if joking or if you actually missed the point of the thread.

I am not sure if you are serious about you not understanding him

What Marcel said, i was talking about the rating, not the number of albums
21.08.2012 - 00:20
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
If we go with a 6+/6+ (six or more albums, all scored six or higher) it's a crowded list.

drudkh has just been pumping out average albums over the last couple years after their amazing early work... none of them suck*, but none of the last couple are particularly good either.

in looking over my votes, Darkthrone, Drudkh, Immortal, Cathedral, Ministry, Opeth, Samael, Satyricon, Ulver are all bands i think i rated the entire discography of, with at least one (or more) average albums which are forgettable compared against the rest of their catalog. some even have 3 sixes.

listing those with six albums all "good" or better thins the herd significantly.

* i actually like "Songs of Grief and Solitude", which is most likely of all their full-lengths to get haters.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.08.2012 - 02:05
Fredd
Account deleted
Alchemist, those guys really knew how to write music, none of their albums sound like the other yet none is weak.

Moonsorrow, they have some great albums and good albums.

Windir, pretty consistent, kept getting better with every release, wasnt long-lived enough to disappoint.

Arkona, superb folk metal, not a single weak album.

Enslaved, a truly "progressive" band. One of the most significant Norwegian black metal pioneers and one that's never stopped evolving.
21.08.2012 - 04:27
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 21.08.2012 at 02:15

Written by Guest on 21.08.2012 at 02:05

Windir

Four albums.

i counted the 2 demos.
29.09.2012 - 04:37
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
If giving a 6 doesn't count as a dud, then Celtic Frost (I'd give Cold Lake a 6 probably).
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
03.10.2012 - 02:56
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Katatonia - Personal favorite band of all time has not released a single "bad" or "okay" album from Dance of December Souls to Dead End Kings.

Blind Guardian - Legendary power metal band that has just gotten better since their inception.

Amorphis - Beautiful melodic metal with folk influences (their only "okay" albums for me are Tuonela and Far From The Sun)

Opeth - One of the most consistently excellent bands in progressive metal (even their most recent and least favorite album Heritage managed to be good!)

Pain of Salvation - Very diverse band that manages to sound awesome no matter what direction is being undertaken for each release.

Ulver - One of the only bands I can think of that can literally transform into a completely different style and still sound awesome with it.

Iron Maiden - What can I say about them that hasn't already been said before, these guys are legends (even their weaker 90's releases have extremely strong songs on them).

Porcupine Tree - This band has released many great albums from their atmospheric, pop, and metal eras that are all really awesome to sit back and enjoy listening to.

I think that's about it!
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
03.10.2012 - 03:19
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Just throwing this out there, but Skinny Puppy with limited votes has a pretty solid discography
----
03.10.2012 - 12:28
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Dying Fetus. I own their discography, and there's no dud. Same with Immolation
04.10.2012 - 19:39
Oaken
Hipster
The mesmerizing Blut Aus Nord. I still have to listen to MoRT, The Mystical Beast Of Rebellion, Ultima Thulee and Liber I, but the ones I've heard are pure gold. All of them.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
04.10.2012 - 21:23
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Oaken on 04.10.2012 at 19:39
The Mystical Beast Of Rebelliom.

That one is quite a dud tbh... Shit, it's basically the same song done 6 times with virtually the same tempo and riff. Probably their only "dud" I've heard atm.
----
Rod, let me love you.
04.10.2012 - 21:23
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Porcupine Tree, Anathema, Pain Of Salvation... Those are the ones I remember for now. But I'm sure there are more.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
04.10.2012 - 21:56
Oaken
Hipster
Written by X-Ray Rod on 04.10.2012 at 21:23

Written by Oaken on 04.10.2012 at 19:39
The Mystical Beast Of Rebelliom.

That one is quite a dud tbh... Shit, it's basically the same song done 6 times with virtually the same tempo and riff. Probably their only "dud" I've heard atm.

Yeah I tried listening to it several times, but I would just always stop in the middle of the second track, dismissing it as an extremely monotonous and soulless album. From what I heard, it's very boring and lacks the atmosphere of MV I, but I still have to give it a proper listen soon.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
04.10.2012 - 22:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Chapter V is a great song though. The best on the album by far

04.10.2012 - 22:04
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 04.10.2012 at 22:02
Chapter V is a great song though. The best on the album by far

It's the best version out of all the other version of the same song indeed.

Not to mention the bonus cd of the re-release which is far superior although very different (BAN going doom).
----
Rod, let me love you.
05.10.2012 - 00:45
Apatheria

No mention of Godflesh? Exactly six records, no duds. Clearly Streetcleaner is their best record and one of industrial metal's pioneering albums, and the rest of their discography ranges from good (Pure, Selfless) to rock solid (Us and Them, Hymns) to great (Songs of Love and Hate). And given that their style continuously evolved but the band never failed to put out good albums, they deserve bonus points in my book.

I'll put forward a mention of S.U.P/Supuration, who are basically the same band under two different names (same core members and everything.) Between the two bands, you have nine full length records, several of which are excellent and none of which are sub-par.

Agreeing with Solitude Aeternus, Esoteric, and Immolation. I hesitantly agree with Anathema because even though I can't stand Weather Systems, I have to say that's more personal bias on my part, and can't really point at it as a poorly made album. I agree with Katatonia, except for the fact that only two of their albums really qualify as metal.

Agalloch's well on the way to making this list if they keep it up.
----
Heavy metal is the law.
05.10.2012 - 01:31
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Apatheria on 05.10.2012 at 00:45
I agree with Katatonia, except for the fact that only two of their albums really qualify as metal.

What? I woul say all their first 6 albums (Dance Of December Souls up to and including Viva Emptiness) are all metal.
----
Rod, let me love you.
05.10.2012 - 02:25
Apatheria

Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.10.2012 at 01:31

I agree with Katatonia, except for the fact that only two of their albums really qualify as metal.

What? I woul say all their first 6 albums (Dance Of December Souls up to and including Viva Emptiness) are all metal.

Personally, I've always looked at their mid-era albums as more alternative rock, with the clean vocals and softer guitar tones. Come to think of it, same goes for Anathema. Regardless, I consider them both consistent bands worthy of discussion in this thread.
----
Heavy metal is the law.
05.10.2012 - 15:03
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Apatheria on 05.10.2012 at 02:25

Personally, I've always looked at their mid-era albums as more alternative rock, with the clean vocals and softer guitar tones. Come to think of it, same goes for Anathema. Regardless, I consider them both consistent bands worthy of discussion in this thread.

You could debat that with albums like Tonight's desicion or even LFDGD if I'm feeling generous... But if you take the clean vocals and put more agressive ones no one would ever discuss the "metal-ness" of albums like Viva Emptiness or Discouraged Ones.
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.10.2012 - 01:32
death-metal

Fleshcrawl
Beherit

(Most great bands die out after three.)
06.10.2012 - 03:08
BitterCOld
The Ancient One

No mention of Godflesh? Exactly six records, no duds. Clearly Streetcleaner is their best record and one of industrial metal's pioneering albums, and the rest of their discography ranges from good (Pure, Selfless) to rock solid (Us and Them, Hymns) to great (Songs of Love and Hate). And given that their style continuously evolved but the band never failed to put out good albums, they deserve bonus points in my book.

not sure how i missed them, i'm probably their biggest fan here if not longest.

outside hailing Streetcleaner, my views on the rest of their albums are pretty much opposite of yours. I enjoy Pure and Selfless (saw that tour w/ Danzig and Type O) ... Pure is probably the next best. frankly, i think some of the band's EPs were better than some of their later studio albums.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.10.2012 - 11:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by BitterCOld on 06.10.2012 at 03:08

outside hailing Streetcleaner, my views on the rest of their albums are pretty much opposite of yours. I enjoy Pure and Selfless (saw that tour w/ Danzig and Type O) ... Pure is probably the next best. frankly, i think some of the band's EPs were better than some of their later studio albums.

I'm yet to listen to all their stuff. Haven't heard their s/t EP but Streetcleaner, Slavestate, Cold World and Pure are the ones I've heard and love... I also have Hymns but I listened to it like 2 times only. It was on the "meh... just good" area.
----
Rod, let me love you.
08.10.2012 - 13:08
Apatheria

Written by X-Ray Rod on 08.10.2012 at 11:05

Written by BitterCOld on 06.10.2012 at 03:08

I'm yet to listen to all their stuff. Haven't heard their s/t EP but Streetcleaner, Slavestate, Cold World and Pure are the ones I've heard and love... I also have Hymns but I listened to it like 2 times only. It was on the "meh... just good" area.

I'm actually of the opinion that Us and Them and Songs of Love and Hate are the two best albums in their discography after Streetcleaner. Some folks are turned off by the drum and bass style beats they incorporate throughout these two albums, but I like how they're tied into the gritty soundscapes that Godflesh has become renowned for. Not to mention I think some of GC Green's best bass lines outside of Streetcleaner can be found on Us and Them (Control Freak, for example.)

Give 'em a try sometime.
----
Heavy metal is the law.
10.10.2012 - 18:07
chronic-headache

Blind Guardian
Devin Townsend
Iced Earth
Rhapsody
10.10.2012 - 23:53
Patrick.

Written by chronic-headache on 10.10.2012 at 18:07

Blind Guardian
Devin Townsend
Iced Earth
Rhapsody

Agreed! I second Iced Earth and especially Blind Guardian. Need to hear more Rhapsody (everything sounds awesome so far though), and haven't heard a single thing by Devin Townsend (Everyone seems to be praising him like the second coming, and the fact that you mention him beside the others in terms of consitent quality, makes me very interested).
11.10.2012 - 01:04
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Iamawalker, don't miss out on Devin
----
11.10.2012 - 03:01
SuicidalPunk
Account deleted
Slayer, i already mentioned Suicidal Tendencies, D.R.I. is one too. Carcass, Testament, Pantera.