Metal Storm logo
Dimmu Borgir

Original post

Posted by Warman, 02.10.2006 - 14:19
I can't believe that there is not an official thread about Dimmu Borgir. I just recently started listening to this wonderful band. Their first album "For all tid" is perfect and extremely beautiful.

So post your opinions and stuff that has anything to do with this band!
16.05.2008 - 19:19
Dagorwen
I never heard a sound so trmendously epic, symphonic, powerfull and yet quite tortured!!! Mustis is a real genius!!!
17.05.2008 - 02:56
carlithrashinmad
Account deleted
Although I am no longer into black metal now, I still bow before the Enthroned Darkness Triumphant...thats gotta be one of the top black metal albums, its musically rich, is definitly a masterpiece for me. All of the songs are incredible, specially the first 3 and the last 2. There is nothing like Mourning Palace
17.05.2008 - 19:05
ANGEL REAPER
Raabjorn Speiler Draugheimens Skodde is one of DB's best songs isnt it?
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
18.05.2008 - 19:20
Dagorwen
well, the vocals are not as powerfull as usual (what please me a lot... being not far from what I can do) but it's still great, do you like Allehelgens Død I Helveds Rike? I find this one very good, a little bit in the same way (melodicer perhaps)
30.05.2008 - 05:38
mortjoyeux
I actually can't stand this band at all, I think they're utter trash.
30.05.2008 - 20:16
Dagorwen
so please give some reason! you can dislike it, but it would be wiser to say why instead of just throwing a judgement in the wind!
31.05.2008 - 05:19
mortjoyeux
Written by Dagorwen on 30.05.2008 at 20:16

so please give some reason! you can dislike it, but it would be wiser to say why instead of just throwing a judgement in the wind!

Okay okay mah bad lady.
Let's rephrase my utter trash statement to a more prudent one.
Their vocals are boring, I don't enjoy their chord progression and they just don't seem bm to me at all.
Just my opinion.
01.06.2008 - 22:25
DIO Is God
Account deleted
Shagrath is the best metal growler, how the fuck can you say he's boring? They are also some of the best musicians in all of the newer metal. They're not totally bm, they're more symphonic than anything. That doesn't even matter at all, though.
01.06.2008 - 23:46
Varegan
Hamranakara
Written by Guest on 01.06.2008 at 22:25

Shagrath is the best metal growler, how the fuck can you say he's boring? They are also some of the best musicians in all of the newer metal. They're not totally bm, they're more symphonic than anything. That doesn't even matter at all, though.

you are both exaggerating shagrath's vocals, he is not the BEST growler and he is not also so boring vocalist, he is hust a usual bm/dm vocalist, he is just so overrated for nothing.
I agree with her about guitar riffs, because it was not bm at all, especially in last album... without drums sound it look like some very simple dm riffs.
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
02.06.2008 - 13:23
Dagorwen
I think DB vocals are less boring than Arch Enemy ones for instance (Angela is very overrated to): it's not always the same tone, Shagrath can growl in very differents ways and there are also clean voices, so that it's not so monotonous. I think they are not only bm, they are also "classic" composern who master the orchestration technics. ok, they have one not so good album (Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia that is not very bm, except for Puritania, which is very good) but it still one of the best bands I know!
02.06.2008 - 22:28
6hell6fire6
I like them but I cant find what I expect Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia DVD its not a good DVD to sell. It can be better and pertaning tu dimmu
02.06.2008 - 22:46
TheBigRossowski
As stated in my profile, I'm not an elitist (I guess that means I'm not true...), but I don't have anything against Dimmu Borgir. Hellhammer did an outstanding job on ISD as expected, the guitars are decent and Shagrath has good vocals. The problem I have is the super gay symphonic shit, some of it is tolerable, but sometimes its too much, you know?

Eh, Eradication Instincts Defined is a good example of of great orchestration, but Serpentine Offering is pitiful. I should look up who made those two different sounds....
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
04.06.2008 - 18:06
Dagorwen
Written by TheBigRossowski on 02.06.2008 at 22:46

The problem I have is the super gay symphonic shit, some of it is tolerable, but sometimes its too much, you know?

I realy like the symphonic, but the opening and end of Puritanical (etc) are really too much! for an epic movie OST, it's very good, but as bm, well.... (but Mustis is still a genius)
05.06.2008 - 09:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by 6hell6fire6 on 02.06.2008 at 22:28

I like them but I cant find what I expect Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia DVD its not a good DVD to sell. It can be better and pertaning tu dimmu

DVD man Im bored from CD and videos in youtube, but watch DB DVD its be so hard
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.06.2008 - 19:43
6hell6fire6
Written by Bad English on 05.06.2008 at 09:45

Written by 6hell6fire6 on 02.06.2008 at 22:28

DVD man Im bored from CD and videos in youtube, but watch DB DVD its be so hard

there is no extra stuff in Euphoric Misanthropia , I don't advice this dvd. I think you continue to watch videos in youtube.I like DB but I give 5 out of 10 to this DVD.
23.06.2008 - 20:05
Damnated
Churchburner

Shagrath is the best metal growler, how the fuck can you say he's boring?

ehm.... because he is. seriously. the toilet flush is more evil than he is. you listen to melodic metal and some thrash, yet comment on the best growler in metal. jeez. pick up some albums that have some growls. any album. and you'll see that the vocalist is better than Shagrath. hell, even that fag of a Dani Filth is better than him.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
28.06.2008 - 10:25
mortjoyeux
Written by Damnated on 23.06.2008 at 20:05

Shagrath is the best metal growler, how the fuck can you say he's boring?

ehm.... because he is. seriously. the toilet flush is more evil than he is. you listen to melodic metal and some thrash, yet comment on the best growler in metal. jeez. pick up some albums that have some growls. any album. and you'll see that the vocalist is better than Shagrath. hell, even that fag of a Dani Filth is better than him.

AHH I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH THIS
28.06.2008 - 12:06
Nego
Account deleted

Wow what a fan boy we have here

In Sorgens kammer del II, Shagrath reminds me of my grandmother when she have a bad throat

they have maked a couple of good songs.. and thats all
28.06.2008 - 15:12
Dagorwen
it's why I like him sooooo much!!!! he makes me believe I'm a good growler ^^

seriously, Dimmu Borgir is an excellent band of true musicians, ok, not all the albums are perfect (Puritanical shit, awfull!) but they are really skilled!
29.06.2008 - 01:18
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I like his growls. I guess he doesn't have much of a range, but at least they're strong. He's one of the few vocalists who actually uses the correct technique, where it doesn't look like he's exerting much force, but still a strong growl comes out. It's much better than those screamers who go all out and then lose their voice a couple years later.

I don't really think they're evil though.
29.06.2008 - 01:58
Visioneerie
Urban Monster

Shagrath is the best metal growler, how the fuck can you say he's boring? They are also some of the best musicians in all of the newer metal.

Uh dude, there's nothing wrong with Dimmu's growls, but come on, be realistic, saying Shagrath's growls are the best in metal is fucking farfetched.
And you say that they're some of the best musicians in contemporary metal ? pleeaase no.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
30.06.2008 - 19:47
Dagorwen
besides, the "evil" thing turns a little bit kitsch, the "I'm eviler than you" side of many black metal band is really too much and somehow ridiculous, it ends by being more funny than evil.
And yes, they are very good musicians!
30.06.2008 - 21:51
Abattoir
Staff
For me Shagrath is very good vocalist and musician generally. I quite like his growls...I would call it kind a ''easy deep growling''...
30.06.2008 - 23:11
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Visioneerie on 29.06.2008 at 01:58

Shagrath is the best metal growler, how the fuck can you say he's boring? They are also some of the best musicians in all of the newer metal.

Uh dude, there's nothing wrong with Dimmu's growls, but come on, be realistic, saying Shagrath's growls are the best in metal is fucking farfetched.
And you say that they're some of the best musicians in contemporary metal ? pleeaase no.

Agreed. You can truly judge a bands skill by how they play live, in studio you can make a person with only 3 fingers sound like Michael Angelo Batio through the wizardry of production. Ive seen Dimmu live twice now, each time it seems they got progressively worse, and they werent all that great live to start off with.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
24.07.2008 - 15:09
Dagorwen
Hey dudes! I found THE funniest video EVER!
Well, you can say what you want about Shagrath, you can't deny he's SO hot, sexy etc...
Some will say "that's a shame to say about an evil black metal growler that he is sexy when he's supposed to be grim and necro", well, to be grim and necro is, indeed, very sexy, and above all: let's have a little bit of humor (what is very rare in the black metal scene!) and make fun about the artists we find great!

So, here is the link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e5Q1pZiWoU

the begining is boring, but it becames really funny at the 1:10 min
I don't say I like the music, I say it's SO funny to mix black metal and disco!!!

PS I should have written: he WAS gorgeous, for he's now just old and fat!
24.07.2008 - 17:02
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i don't get why people diss Dimmu so much.... sure there was that re-release of Stormblast, but how isn't their music 'heavy'? people all the time moan about how they sold out, but actually they're heavy as SHIT... i mean, i listened to a song off their last album(the legacy or something) and it really sounds like blackened death metal...i can't even stand it till the end, my ears were almost bleeding lol. also i listened to some of their albums a long time ago and they didn't even seem like real black metal, more like melo-sympho-black, so they weren't "trve kri33g" to begin with. yet there are people over the internet who constantly moan about how cradle of filth needs to die and dimmu borgir deserve to be sodomized by the ghost of Quorthon(who never even made real black metal, just a more 'venom' band than venom) and see Dimmu as a threat to their incredible kriegness.
24.07.2008 - 18:01
VPeter
Dimmu borgir is called "pop black metal" with a reason, not just the overproduction.
Their music is very simple and easy to catch and it really lacks the much needed varation and In Sorte Diaboli was even worse because it didn't have the keyboard magic wich made DCA somewhat durable.
If you want some good symphonic black it looks like you will have to stick to Limbonic art.
24.07.2008 - 19:34
Gordon Freeman
Written by VPeter on 24.07.2008 at 18:01

If you want some good symphonic black it looks like you will have to stick to Limbonic art.

If I must, I'm sure I can cope...
----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
26.07.2008 - 16:00
Macedonia
Account deleted
Keyboards and the voice of Vortex make the songs different from other black bands. thats why they are my favourite band.
26.07.2008 - 16:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 26.07.2008 at 16:00

Keyboards and the voice of Vortex make the songs different from other black bands. thats why they are my favourite band.

then how many BM bands you have hear who use keybords?
I think you never hear about Old Kovenant or Titan Mountain or Odium probobly never and other good keyboard based BM bands
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing