Metal Storm logo
Dimmu Borgir

Original post

Posted by Warman, 02.10.2006 - 14:19
I can't believe that there is not an official thread about Dimmu Borgir. I just recently started listening to this wonderful band. Their first album "For all tid" is perfect and extremely beautiful.

So post your opinions and stuff that has anything to do with this band!
24.11.2008 - 19:45
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 24.11.2008 at 19:20

Yes..but i still like their first albums..for example For All Tid and Stormblåst..but their latest(or last? i don't know wich word is correct.sorry) albums..mmm...there is a lot of chemistry in the sound..

O man, totally... They created amazing shit on their first two albums. Sometimes I enjoy them a lot and don't stop thinking "what if they continued with that style their entire carreer"... That would be fuycking great IMO.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.11.2008 - 18:31
I, The Quatropus

Meh, I really don't listen to them much anymore. I still need to find the older cds, but after DCA I kinda pushed myself away from them. The Stormblast remake was excellent, but I don't care much for their recent.
----
Burzum did it for the lulz
26.11.2008 - 18:37
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by I, The Quatropus on 25.11.2008 at 18:31

The Stormblast remake was excellent,

Ooo, I know that's your opinion but I really think they killed the atmosphere with that remake that was totally just for the money.
The original one is faaaaaaaaar more superior.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
26.11.2008 - 20:13
Ascendant187

Hell, I still love listening to ETD and PEM. More so ETD because that's just a fun album all around but yeah.
26.11.2008 - 21:20
I, The Quatropus

Written by X-Ray Rod on 26.11.2008 at 18:37

Written by I, The Quatropus on 25.11.2008 at 18:31

The Stormblast remake was excellent,

Ooo, I know that's your opinion but I really think they killed the atmosphere with that remake that was totally just for the money.
The original one is faaaaaaaaar more superior.

Meh more or less excellent that they cared to remake it. I personally liked the original and reissued.
----
27.11.2008 - 08:48
FOOCK Nam

Same as me, first I preferred the original one of 1996, but gradually I grow with more interested in the 2005 reissued, I have felt I can enjoy their synth. Now, to say true I prefer the 2005 reissued.
14.12.2008 - 15:46
Thryce
Retired Staff
High-quality live footage from Dimmu Borgir's appearance on Fuel TV's "The Daily Habit" is now available online at http://www.fuel.tv/dimmuborgir. Live versions of the songs "The Serpentine Offering" and "Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse" can be found at the provided link.
----
Your favorite band sucks.
14.12.2008 - 20:37
I, The Quatropus

Written by Thryce on 14.12.2008 at 15:46

High-quality live footage from Dimmu Borgir's appearance on Fuel TV's "The Daily Habit" is now available online at http://www.fuel.tv/dimmuborgir. Live versions of the songs "The Serpentine Offering" and "Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse" can be found at the provided link.

Idk, but it would feel quite awkward to play black metal in a surrounding like that.
----
15.12.2008 - 04:56
Land Of Doom

Very Wonderful Black Metal From Norway They Have Very Special Albums And Amazing Videos

For Me The Best album is the last one In Sorte Diaboli You Can Hear it And Listen To the first song

And The Most Amazing videos for them is Sorgens Kammer - Del II
----
We Only Fear What Comes
And Smell Death Every Day
Search For The Answers That Lie Beyond
16.12.2008 - 22:00
the napalm rain

I don't like symphonic metal that much, because making an album with an org, with a cello etc. can be complicated but it is easier to listen for the fans..
That's why I respect more to bands like Immortal, Bathory, Venom, Dark Throne. They don't use much the instruments I mentioned..

If the symphonic metal bands don't use those instruments I'm sure that they will be boring.

But for Dimmu Borgir I can't say that.. This is a great band.
17.12.2008 - 01:17
I, The Quatropus

Written by Land Of Doom on 15.12.2008 at 04:56

Very Wonderful Black Metal From Norway They Have Very Special Albums And Amazing Videos

For Me The Best album is the last one In Sorte Diaboli You Can Hear it And Listen To the first song

And The Most Amazing videos for them is Sorgens Kammer - Del II

ISD was such a disappointment for me. I'd kill for another cd that can recall to sounds off of EDT, PEM, or Stormblast.
----
17.12.2008 - 20:20
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Sort of gave up on listening to them....Death Cult Armageddon had some nice songs on there but it was overall the start of their downfall and In Sorte Diaboli was just appalling. Sounded more like a compilation of Lord of the Rings background music and fight scene music. And we all know Old Man's Child owns Dimmu anyday...Galder totally reserves the good riffs for his own band.

So yeah Im WAY more excited about the upcoming OMC album, going to be way more impressive than the last couple of Dimmu releases.
19.01.2009 - 00:31
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
I would like to prefer EDT to ISD, but no matter how hard I try, I just can't... ISD is just so epic and powerful, and the guitars so much more melodic. This is what I call Symphonic Black metal. EDT has moments, particularly with songs like Entrance and Spellbound, but it sounds like simpler Emperor with more keyboards, and Emperor doesn't appeal to me, except for a couple songs like An Elegy Of Icaros or Curse You All Men!... And Old Man's Child is sooo boring and Galder's voice is annoyingly weak, even though he proves to be Dimmu's best musician, Mustis being a fair second.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
19.01.2009 - 00:38
ForeverDarkWoods

Dimmu Borgir has made some awesome melodic black metal in the past, but most of their more recent stuff is pretty weak to my ears.

I love Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and the original Stormblåst though, as those are masterpieces in their own right.

As for their newer stuff, there are other bands that does it much better. Limbonic Art for instance mutilates and molests Dimmu Borgir. Mirrorthrone does the same.

If one was to leave the symphonic realm and go into the folkier realm of melodic synth-driven black metal, there's also Nokturnal Mortum, which is a band that would own Dimmu Borgir any day of the week.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
12.03.2009 - 08:41
ANGEL REAPER

Generally known fact is that every band is better in the beginning than on the present (except the Iron Maiden or such bands) ,isn't it?
But this is truth for DB....they were better in the beginning .....
Maybe the reason for this is about completely different people in DB now....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
12.03.2009 - 15:59
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 12.03.2009 at 08:41

Generally known fact is that every band is better in the beginning than on the present (except the Iron Maiden or such bands) ,isn't it?

I think thats PART of the reason but not the main reason.....

The main problem is, as with ALL bands who start off well and become shit, is the fact that bands who just start out know they have to pull out all the stops on their earlier albums. Look at Children of Bodom as a good example. Thier first couple of albums are incredible - because noone knew than and they knew that as a new band they had to impress people. Now they already have a hge fanbase, no reason to write awesome music anymore or challenge themselves becase people will buy their stuff just on basis of their past albums. Pretty stupid really...
12.03.2009 - 21:56
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Guest on 12.03.2009 at 15:59

The main problem is, as with ALL bands who start off well and become shit, is the fact that bands who just start out know they have to pull out all the stops on their earlier albums. Look at Children of Bodom as a good example. Thier first couple of albums are incredible - because noone knew than and they knew that as a new band they had to impress people. Now they already have a hge fanbase, no reason to write awesome music anymore or challenge themselves becase people will buy their stuff just on basis of their past albums. Pretty stupid really...

Another reason is that the band members usually start out having fresh ideas in the beginning. They can easily start repeating themselves or watering down the original unique sound by constant use and lack of any real good ideas. The sign of a good musician is one that knows how to make a good sound and play and progress in it while still keeping it fresh and with original character.
----
Coldgrits
18.03.2009 - 08:39
ANGEL REAPER

I completely agree with you...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
22.03.2009 - 10:42
The Butt
Account deleted
I'm not gonna lie, I love EDT and the original Stormblast, but I just can't stand anything after. :/

Their newer stuff isn't really even black metal (not really a valid reason for disliking them, I know, but it just doesn't tickle my fancy at all).
23.03.2009 - 22:59
ANGEL REAPER

Well i agree on this one,everything after spiritual black dimensions is near to sound of some anonymous bands,except few songs....
----
02.04.2009 - 08:46
ANGEL REAPER

Yesterday I watched some new DB video...... It was shit........
I think that fame and money finally is going to destroy them......
I wish them some nice retire......
----
02.04.2009 - 09:58
Throne Dweller

Written by -DC-002- on 12.03.2009 at 21:56

Written by Guest on 12.03.2009 at 15:59

Another reason is that the band members usually start out having fresh ideas in the beginning. They can easily start repeating themselves or watering down the original unique sound by constant use and lack of any real good ideas. The sign of a good musician is one that knows how to make a good sound and play and progress in it while still keeping it fresh and with original character.

You seem to not understand, In Sorte Diaboli was a concept album, which wasn't supposed to sound like any of their old stuff. They themselves stated that they were making something more technical, that they wanted to try out a new sound entirely. Which is what they've done, almost no Dimmu album sounds the same; In Sorte Diaboli just takes it a little bit further.
As musicians, they have progressed a lot, and all the people who criticize them by calling them sellouts may not realize that most musicians write for themselves, not anybody else.
02.04.2009 - 22:01
ANGEL REAPER

Normally bands evolve and they should evolve trough time..... But in case of DB its a case of mutation...
I the beginning the were new ,fresh,and awesome band full with masterpiece sound ......
But then they evolve in to classical case of "industry product band".They are not authentic anymore.The style ,music,videos,thats all seen before....I am afraid that if they continue "evolving" they will just vanish....
And everything that will remain to be remembered for all time will be For All Tid and Stormblast.
----
09.05.2009 - 21:14
Land Of Doom

The Black Castle (Dimmu Borgir)

Is my best black metal , They have a wonderful vocals
----
We Only Fear What Comes
And Smell Death Every Day
Search For The Answers That Lie Beyond
10.05.2009 - 13:17
Throne Dweller

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 02.04.2009 at 22:01

Normally bands evolve and they should evolve trough time..... But in case of DB its a case of mutation...
I the beginning the were new ,fresh,and awesome band full with masterpiece sound ......
But then they evolve in to classical case of "industry product band".They are not authentic anymore.The style ,music,videos,thats all seen before....I am afraid that if they continue "evolving" they will just vanish....
And everything that will remain to be remembered for all time will be For All Tid and Stormblast.

No, you're an idiot.

'Industry product band' is a ridiculous term that is thrown around whenever a band can afford to better their production. They're not authentic? Name ONE band that sounds anything like their new album; and where are these videos that you've already seen before? I'm not saying it's the best thing to have ever blessed my putrid ears, but it's not by far unoriginal.
If by authentic you mean, 'uninspired, generic, shit', then you'd prefer them to be exactly what you're against.
12.05.2009 - 21:20
ANGEL REAPER

I am just saying that they better before ....now there are just aggresive,loid and fast.I dont say that they dont know how to play,or that they are shit but its fact that DB starting to lock like stereotype extreme band:loud,aggressive,paternal. ..However I still think that they are great band...even now i think that the synth,vocals,and guitars are good..
But i also think that will start to repeat them selfs over and over....
----
13.05.2009 - 17:38
TheOwl

Dimmu Borgir ruuuules!! I am so glad I saw them live before they got so hyped at the late 1990's with Dark Funeral!
01.06.2009 - 00:16
Slayer666

If you ask me (no one ever does), the only good album they have ever recorded would be Enthrone Darkness Thriumphant. All other work of their is....how should I say this gently....overrated crap. Of course, I already see a whole bunch of MetalStormers sharping their pikes for my head now, but I had to get that one off my chest.
01.06.2009 - 05:44
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I saw them live last year and they gave us a great show, they played many of their best songs and some from the last album (the ones that I wanted ). One of the things I enjoyed the most about the show was their new drummer, Daray, ex-Vader,and he comes from hell for sure, he made the songs to sound more "speedy", so the show was better in my opinion, It would have been great to see them play with Hellhammer, but Daray fits great for the band.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
05.06.2009 - 14:12
AbdelioR

Written by the napalm rain on 16.12.2008 at 22:00

If the symphonic metal bands don't use those instruments I'm sure that they will be boring.

They are symphonic for some reason

I recognize that I'm one of those who like the symphonic DM. I have to say that I haven't listened so much their first releases but Spiritual Black Dimensions, Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia, Enthrone Darkness Triumphant... are brilliant.

Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 19.01.2009 at 00:38

If one was to leave the symphonic realm and go into the folkier realm of melodic synth-driven black metal, there's also Nokturnal Mortum, which is a band that would own Dimmu Borgir any day of the week.

This is the other think, If I want to listen Black Metal I won't go to DM, I'll go to Nokturnal Mortum as he says or any other you want. From DM I take their melodic side
----
97. Keep your Gore level down for your friends, you're still a social being.