03. The State
04. All Else Is Hollow
05. In Lust
06. The Exciter
07. Lay Your Heart To Rest
08. With Her I Die
09. Illusion/Delusion
10. The Kiss Of Death

Poisonblack's first album, Escapexstacy, is one of the staples of the (now unfortunately, but timely, fading) Suomi metal genre. It brings us a very professional but emotive approach, nice performing and a handful of great songs - let's dig in a little deeper into it.

Songs are very dark in mood and none of them could be labelled as a fast track; there are ten of them, all pretty short (some even under three minutes long) and simplistic in structure. Songwriting is pretty advanced and experienced; though at first listen I didn't like the first three tracks, everything fell into place later. The lyrics are very lust-driven and stereotypical, sometimes even cheeky (i.e. "Burn my fingers one by one, guide me down into the sun / Let me show you how I crave to make you come"), but Juha-Pekka Leppäluoto pulls them off perfectly well with his very deep, expressive and alluring voice. The ex-Charon frontman is hands down one of Finland's better vocalists, and it shows in songs such as "In Lust" and "Illusion/Delusion".

The music is centred around Juha-Pekka's voice and gloomy, simple and beefy guitar riffs. Drums are pretty loud in the mix, which I appreciate in Suomi metal. Sometimes the riffs bear a slight similarity to Sentenced, but only for moments, which is expected, since Ville Laihiala wrote most of the songs. Sometimes the keyboards kick in with pretty dramatic melodies ("Exciter" and "With Her I Die" come to mind almost instantly), which is also pleasant. The man behind them is the very versatile Marco Sneck of Kalmah fame, so you can expect he knows what he's doing. Overall, the performance is very tight and enjoyable - no flaws in it whatsoever.

The production is slightly crispy and not very advanced but there are no annoying noises or mistakes and it fits the sound of the album very well. Actually, This album could well deserve a 9 point rating if it weren't for the package - there's not a single Poisonblack album cover that I like, but the lady on this one just looks? weird.

I believe this is the band's best album - maybe it's just this sound that I like most, or the quality of the songs is simply better compared to their later releases (not that the later ones are bad, though). So, if you're starting with the band, this is the place to do so.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written by Milena | 28.08.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Justin
Rating:
Following the success of Sentenced's last album The Cold White Light, the band is taking a well-earned break. Sentenced frontman Ville Laihiala however, has decided to hook up with some fellow Oulu friends and continue his side project Poisonblack.
Having formed the band as far back as two years ago , Ville decided to shift his focus from vocals and concentrate his attention on lead and rhythm guitars. Janne Kukkonen joins Ville on bass and Charon frontman Juha-Pekka Leppaluoto on vocals . Helping out in the studio as session musicians Tarmo Kanerva on drums Marco Sneck on keyboards and Janne Dahlgren on guitar.

Read more ››
published 22.12.2003 | Comments (0)

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 67 users
28.08.2011 - 14:17
clifford

It's a brilliant album. Defiantly better IMO to there later release's. Just smoother, nicely darker. I'm hoping JP comes back for vocals, It could remake a super suomi metal band.
----
Lonely roses whither and die....
28.08.2011 - 14:28
KwonVerge
Odysseus
An awesome release and J-P is ecstatic, he almost passes out ! This album is everything this band has ever been, heavy enough, emotionally burdened and inspired. They never surpassed EscapeXstacy and they never will, unless they get J-P back on vocals! Having seen both Sentenced, Charon and To/Die/For live, i have to admit that the most energetic on stage is Jape of T/D/F
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
28.08.2011 - 14:39
Rating: 9
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by clifford on 28.08.2011 at 14:17

It's a brilliant album. Defiantly better IMO to there later release's. Just smoother, nicely darker. I'm hoping JP comes back for vocals, It could remake a super suomi metal band.

Written by KwonVerge on 28.08.2011 at 14:28

An awesome release and J-P is ecstatic, he almost passes out ! This album is everything this band has ever been, heavy enough, emotionally burdened and inspired. They never surpassed EscapeXstacy and they never will, unless they get J-P back on vocals! Having seen both Sentenced, Charon and To/Die/For live, i have to admit that the most energetic on stage is Jape of T/D/F

You both are right Not that I don't like Ville Laihiala, but now that we've lost Charon, we need more JP.
Der, I envy you on your live experiences
----
7.0 means the album is good
28.08.2011 - 14:46
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Yeah, Laihiala is very good bizarre dude, but hell yeah, J-P should do something during the post-Charon era. It's been some time since i've been in a good live show though, so there's not much to envy anymore
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.

Hits total: 4747 | This month: 13