07. Epitome XIII

Additional info
Release dates:

November 11: Europe
November 15: North America

Guest review by
VloRD
Rating:
777 - The Desanctification is the second part of the "777" trilogy which has so far been exhilarating enough to casually brush shoulders with one by their natal peers, Deathspell Omega. With the second part, Blut Aus Nord decided to go with a radically different sound when compared to 777 - Sect(s).

The chaos from 777 - Sect(s) is shunned in favor of much more repeating and structured song writing. It's now more brooding and resonating. While 777 - Sect(s) was a little more varied, this record is monolithic rather than diverse; it's unnerving rather than disorienting; it's breathtaking rather than suffocating. It makes the previous record look like a clumsy mess, and the previous record was nothing to scoff at. It makes you marvel at the caliber of these Frenchmen.

Read more ››
published 10.02.2012 | Comments (3)

"The nauseating madness has been cast aside in favour of a slower, pounding industrial, typically Blut Aus Nord; absolutely not a novelty for this band, yet a strengthening of their experimental side, as well as a worthy second chapter of the trilogy... morbid and disquieting, rather than twisted and unpredictable. Always apocalyptic of course." - Kenos

A perfect descriptive testimony of the strengths of Blut Aus Nord.

!J.O.O.E.!'s picks | More picks ››

Found in 27 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 57   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 611 users
01.09.2011 - 22:08
a MasT

When the frak is this coming out!?
02.09.2011 - 01:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by a MasT on 01.09.2011 at 22:08

When the frak is this coming out!?

November. Which incidentally is when the third part was supposed to be coming out.
23.10.2011 - 00:49
Bad Taste
Paramedic
Can't wait. First part was excellent (my favourite album this year). I hope this will be even better...
08.11.2011 - 14:29
Kenos
Account deleted
Very interesting record. I don't know if it's as good as the previous one. The nauseating madness has been cast aside in favour of a slower, pounding industrial, typically Blut Aus Nord; absolutely not a novelty for this band, yet a strengthening of their experimental side, as well as a worthy second chapter of the trilogy. A bit repetitive sometimes, like on the first track, but it's part of the plan: this is supposed to be morbid and disquieting, rather than twisted and unpredictable. Always apocalyptic of course, just in a different way. Overall a damn solid work imo, with plenty of great ideas as usual. Maybe it'll grow on me.
08.11.2011 - 15:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 08.11.2011 at 14:29

Very interesting record. I don't know if it's as good as the previous one. The nauseating madness has been cast aside in favour of a slower, pounding industrial, typically Blut Aus Nord; absolutely not a novelty for this band, yet a strengthening of their experimental side, as well as a worthy second chapter of the trilogy. A bit repetitive sometimes, like on the first track, but it's part of the plan: this is supposed to be morbid and disquieting, rather than twisted and unpredictable. Always apocalyptic of course, just in a different way. Overall a damn solid work imo, with plenty of great ideas as usual. Maybe it'll grow on me.

I'm nearly at the end of the first track and I love it so far. You've given me a boner by saying it's slower and more industrial based (and everything else you said). That's exactly what I want from this record.
08.11.2011 - 16:18
Kenos
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 08.11.2011 at 15:42

Written by Guest on 08.11.2011 at 14:29

I'm nearly at the end of the first track and I love it so far. You've given me a boner by saying it's slower and more industrial based (and everything else you said). That's exactly what I want from this record.

I was waiting for your opinion; tell me what you think about it when you get the picture!
08.11.2011 - 16:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 08.11.2011 at 16:18

I was waiting for your opinion; tell me what you think about it when you get the picture!

I just this second finished the first playthrough and there's definitely more here for me to like than the previous one. I think you summed up everything I like about it, heck, I might just quote you in a staff pick. The last track is the highlight, it represents pretty much everything I love about this band. I was also just saying elsewhere that I'll never like the 777 records the way I do TWWTG, TEoAM and Mort as the approach and sound (guitar tone and such) is too different and doesn't resonate in quite the same way (mid-way through Desanctification I paused it and listened to a few snippets from Thematic Emanation and that confirmed it). Saying that though the past three BaN releases have been exceptionally pleasing. I'm expecting great things for part three of 777, maybe even something more ambient based.
08.11.2011 - 21:32
Rating: 9
InnerSelf
proofread free
I still haven't heard it but wanted to post a quote by my best friend about this album
"way too much epicness\awesomeness to be handled by humans"
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
08.11.2011 - 21:42
JD
Account deleted
Got to check this one.
08.11.2011 - 22:20
Kenos
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 08.11.2011 at 16:30

I just this second finished the first playthrough and there's definitely more here for me to like than the previous one. I think you summed up everything I like about it, heck, I might just quote you in a staff pick. The last track is the highlight, it represents pretty much everything I love about this band. I was also just saying elsewhere that I'll never like the 777 records the way I do TWWTG, TEoAM and Mort as the approach and sound (guitar tone and such) is too different and doesn't resonate in quite the same way (mid-way through Desanctification I paused it and listened to a few snippets from Thematic Emanation and that confirmed it). Saying that though the past three BaN releases have been exceptionally pleasing. I'm expecting great things for part three of 777, maybe even something more ambient based.

You surely know Blut Aus Nord much more than me, hence during the next listens I'll keep in mind what you've just said. I really loved "Sect(s)", but I don't listen to it very often since its exaggerated madness easily gives me dizziness and migraine... This one, on the other hand, seems slightly more "restrained" and accessible (take it with a pinch of salt; we're always talking about "avantgarde industrial post-black" after all ), and I feel like listening to it more times in a row! I think it will quickly gain points.

Oh and btw thanks for the quote in your staff pick!
08.11.2011 - 22:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 08.11.2011 at 22:20

You surely know Blut Aus Nord much more than me, hence during the next listens I'll keep in mind what you've just said. I really loved "Sect(s)", but I don't listen to it very often since its exaggerated madness easily gives me dizziness and migraine... This one, on the other hand, seems slightly more "restrained" and accessible (take it with a pinch of salt; we're always talking about "avantgarde industrial post-black" after all ), and I feel like listening to it more times in a row! I think it will quickly gain points.

Oh and btw thanks for the quote in your staff pick!

I too don't listen to Sect(s) that frequently either (certainly compared to some of their other releases) as I find its sound somewhat grating, a bit too forthcoming with that guitar sound (in a similar manner to you I suspect with the madness), so the slightly more subdued sound and approach of the new one is more my thing.

Hope you don't mind me cropping your quote ;]
09.11.2011 - 01:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 08.11.2011 at 22:42

I too don't listen to Sect(s) that frequently either (certainly compared to some of their other releases) as I find its sound somewhat grating, a bit too forthcoming with that guitar sound (in a similar manner to you I suspect with the madness), so the slightly more subdued sound and approach of the new one is more my thing.

Hope you don't mind me cropping your quote ;]

I really liked Sect(s). Kind of a hard pill to swallow and in your face with the sund but I liked how punishing it was.
It would be pretty fucking amazing if Blut Aus Nord could get nominated twice this year
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
09.11.2011 - 13:46
Slayer666

I listened to a few tracks on YouTube, and I'd like to quote on of the users who commented:

"My god, they aren't even human anymore..."

Like I've said once or twice already, Sect(s) didn't click with me as much as I would have liked, but this one promises to be a fucking monster from what I've heard thus far.
09.11.2011 - 20:51
Rating: 8
Paz

What a great album!

BLVT AUS NORD is a group for whom there are no boundaries, genres and musical trends are an illusion. I can't describe in words what I felt while listening to this, simply a wonderful experience. These tones absorbing the listener like a black hole...

Already I can't wait for the last part of the trilogy, and I'm sure it will be perfect.

BLVT AUS NORD > RoW
09.11.2011 - 21:41
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Slayer666 on 09.11.2011 at 13:46

"My god, they aren't even human anymore..."

Ha, I've read that comment yesterday and found it quite spot on indeed
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.11.2011 - 06:00
Rating: 10
The Galactician

I really enjoyed Sect(s) but this is better. I think this is more the spiritual successor to Memoria II in terms of its great melodic moments in the midst of the chaos.

Fuck I love this band.
12.11.2011 - 21:02
Mikyz

I'd give Sect(s) a slight edge, since it's more oppressive in nature and it has both Epitome II and VI which I prefer over The Desanctification's individual tracks, though I very much enjoyed its more experimental aspect. The culmination of the trilogy should be a combination of Sect(s)' oppressiveness, The Desanctification's "Avant-Garde" approach and Memoria Vetusta's melodic drive. But I'm not worried Blut Aus Nord never disappoints.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
12.11.2011 - 22:37
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Mikyz on 12.11.2011 at 21:02

I'd give Sect(s) a slight edge, since it's more oppressive in nature and it has both Epitome II and XI which I prefer over The Desanctification's individual tracks
You mean VI instead of XI, right?
If you do, I agree
----
loves 小巫
14.11.2011 - 08:44
Mikyz

Written by Ag Fox on 12.11.2011 at 22:37

You mean VI instead of XI, right?
If you do, I agree

Yeah sorry about that I meant VI, I'll fix that.
----
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
14.11.2011 - 08:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Odd. It seems to be more atmospheric in the black metal department but more industrial influenced than Sects. I'm having a hard time deciding which I like more.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
15.11.2011 - 06:48
Rating: 10
drudkhsheepdawg

Here's hoping there won't be 7 months before the third part

Can't listen to Sect(s) or Desanctification individual anymore. It's all or nothing.
17.11.2011 - 00:54
Kenos
Account deleted
Top albums of 2011: 1.

Get ready for the fake-downrating.
17.11.2011 - 01:03
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
It's funny, the people who care about vote abuse are the first to point it out, before it even happens. Keep shooting yourselves in the foot.

This is a good album regardless of where it ends up in the charts.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.11.2011 - 02:28
pisymbol

Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.11.2011 at 08:51

Odd. It seems to be more atmospheric in the black metal department but more industrial influenced than Sects. I'm having a hard time deciding which I like more.

Bingo. I said "ambient" and now I realize I meant "atmospheric." C'est la vie.

The atmosphere on this one is thick and beautiful.

I agree with the previous poster as well, you really need to listen to Sects then Desanct all the way through...can't wait for the final piece.
17.11.2011 - 12:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.11.2011 at 00:54

I was just about to say that myself. Sad times ahead.
17.11.2011 - 16:46
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 17.11.2011 at 12:23

Written by Guest on 17.11.2011 at 00:54

I was just about to say that myself. Sad times ahead.

We cans till enjoy it while it last. I sure as hell did not expect to see a BAN album at the top of the year.
Also... Am I crazy if I say that I get some trip-hop feeling from the first song? I really love that song... It's totally.. I dunno...
d[-_-]b ....aw yeaaah
----
Rod, let me love you.
18.11.2011 - 19:13
Vombatus
Potorro
I'm loving this one... the atmosphere is so insalubrious with this kind of urban post-apocalypse feeling.

Plus Epitome VIII has one of those rare moments in metal... when a riff is so amazing you can't believe it, freaking divine.
18.11.2011 - 22:36
Acidjunkie

Amazing record. Still manages to grow on me with every listen. Dark, evil athmosphere, yet very controlled with beautiful scounscapes. Somehow reminds me of Godflesh, though definately not the same. Easily top 10 material for me anyway.
18.11.2011 - 22:42
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I really enjoyed this and Sects, but something's preventing me from getting "there" or whatever. I mean I think they're great, but I just don't...feel the greatness. :/
----
19.11.2011 - 14:48
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.11.2011 at 22:42

I really enjoyed this and Sects, but something's preventing me from getting "there" or whatever. I mean I think they're great, but I just don't...feel the greatness. :/
consistency is the key here, I think
----
loves 小巫

Hits total: 16325 | This month: 16