Metal Storm logo
Your Policy On Listening To Satanic Metal

Original post

Posted by , 02.09.2011 - 02:37
I chose option number 4. When I started listening to metal, I was so strict that I stopped listening to Iron Maiden because of TNOTB. But then, especially when I started getting into death metal, I knew I must tolerate it if it's borderline or if it's one line per song. That's the way it goes for me. I listen to bands that blaspheme a little like Cryptopsy and Dismember, but bands like Deicide and Morbid Angel aren't accepted.

Poll

Which is your policy?

I listen to it. I don't read the lyrics.
I listen to it. I'm a fan of satan!
I don't listen to it at all!
I listen to it. I don't like the lyrics.
I listen to borderline stuff.

Total votes: 192
08.09.2011 - 06:16
whatsacow

Who cares if something is "satanic?" Satan is just the counterbalance of a non-existing god. I'd listen to a band if they sung about hades, and it's basically the same thing. And honestly, while lyrics can be important, it's the music that's most important.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
09.09.2011 - 03:00
Music4TheSpirit
MetalForTheSpiri
Written by Chainer on 06.09.2011 at 01:01

Written by Music4TheSpirit on 05.09.2011 at 18:33

I avoid satanic stuff as much as i can... It's not that I'm very catholic but i do think it's mostly a waste....

And about the quality of lyrics on metal, which is other topic, well for me it counts, yet i still could like something with sh*tty lyrics

Is it a waste that you avoid it {lyrics} or a waste that your not very catholic?

I think satanic lyrics are a waste, Mostly

that's what i mean
----
In this days we seem to be limited by scientific knowledge
"I'm a good man... while that don't interfere with my interest" Anonymous , taken from the low moderm and post-moderm consciences
09.09.2011 - 07:14
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
Written by Music4TheSpirit on 09.09.2011 at 03:00

I avoid satanic stuff as much as i can... It's not that I'm very catholic but i do think it's mostly a waste....

And about the quality of lyrics on metal, which is other topic, well for me it counts, yet i still could like something with sh*tty lyrics

Is it a waste that you avoid it {lyrics} or a waste that your not very catholic?

that's what i mean

Ok well in this case how do they differ from the 'quality'/'importance'/'worthiness' of any other lyrics? Or are you just presuming that metal lyrics are in general of inferior quality and therefore 'mostly a waste'? If this is not the case, than is it only your adherence to a particular religious dogma that makes you fell that certain lyrics are of less worth than others? Or to put it differently, that lyrics dealing with satan are inferior because you do not agree with their message rather than being poorly written?
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
09.09.2011 - 10:13
arwestromen

Who anyway: "Oooooh satan, SATAN rape the innocent and kill the virgins ooooh down with religion oooooh" come on people who in their right mind would take this serious. It's just good fun and a way to piss off parents and stiff people
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
09.09.2011 - 12:36
Music4TheSpirit
MetalForTheSpiri
Written by Chainer on 09.09.2011 at 07:14

that's what i mean

Ok well in this case how do they differ from the 'quality'/'importance'/'worthiness' of any other lyrics? Or are you just presuming that metal lyrics are in general of inferior quality and therefore 'mostly a waste'? If this is not the case, than is it only your adherence to a particular religious dogma that makes you fell that certain lyrics are of less worth than others? Or to put it differently, that lyrics dealing with satan are inferior because you do not agree with their message rather than being poorly written?

Well it's a mix of ignorance both conceptual and aesthetical... I can think of a good hand of metal lyrics I aprrove, so that's not the case, and not it's not my adherence to an particular dogma, but a complex analysis. And they differ in nothing, if they're saying a pile of stupid things, well it's a pile of stuping things, no matter what.
----
"I'm a good man... while that don't interfere with my interest" Anonymous , taken from the low moderm and post-moderm consciences
09.09.2011 - 22:37
ANGEL REAPER

Written by arwestromen on 09.09.2011 at 10:13

Who anyway: "Oooooh satan, SATAN rape the innocent and kill the virgins ooooh down with religion oooooh" come on people who in their right mind would take this serious. It's just good fun and a way to piss off parents and stiff people

than again most band with that lyrics are a joke ...not to be taken seriously ...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
10.09.2011 - 07:03
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
Written by Music4TheSpirit on 09.09.2011 at 12:36

Written by Chainer on 09.09.2011 at 07:14

that's what i mean

Well it's a mix of ignorance both conceptual and aesthetical... I can think of a good hand of metal lyrics I aprrove, so that's not the case, and not it's not my adherence to an particular dogma, but a complex analysis. And they differ in nothing, if they're saying a pile of stupid things, well it's a pile of stuping things, no matter what.

Your "complex analysis" sounds less than such, and your conclusion is that "they're saying a pile of stupid things, well it's a pile of stupid things" what sort of argument against satanic lyrics is that?
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
14.09.2011 - 21:49
Music4TheSpirit
MetalForTheSpiri
Written by Chainer on 10.09.2011 at 07:03

Written by Music4TheSpirit on 09.09.2011 at 12:36

Your "complex analysis" sounds less than such, and your conclusion is that "they're saying a pile of stupid things, well it's a pile of stupid things" what sort of argument against satanic lyrics is that?

you miss the "if", it's not an argument against satanic lyrics, but against stupidity, whatever it's satanic lyrics or anything else
----
18.09.2011 - 00:58
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Oops, seems I did some trouble with this thread.
18.09.2011 - 03:34
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Satanic metal is just another genre of the various metal genres and sub-genres. Who cares if the song is about satan or not? I can say that at least 90% of the satanic bands don't have not even a bit of "love" with the guy, that's just the style, and satan sucks!

(... Just my opinion...)

Oh, and I remembered now the song "Spread Your Fire", from angra:

"Satan is a child of our god".
04.12.2011 - 01:15
second_coming89
Account deleted
I see this as a non-issue. The Satanic or Anti-Christian lyrics are a rebellion against the institutuion of religion. Doesn't make me a Satanist, I'm not, I can just really relate to where the lyricists are coming from! I'm glad that there's music out there lashing out against the ills of the church, someone has to do it.
04.12.2011 - 13:11
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 04.12.2011 at 01:15

I see this as a non-issue. The Satanic or Anti-Christian lyrics are a rebellion against the institutuion of religion. Doesn't make me a Satanist, I'm not, I can just really relate to where the lyricists are coming from! I'm glad that there's music out there lashing out against the ills of the church, someone has to do it.

As much as I appreciate his unholiness Satan, plenty of lyrics on the topic don't actually lash out against the ills of the church, it's simply mindless fun (or a mental disorder, if you actually believe it). Rebellious, yes, but nowhere do they have rational arguments against Christianity.

That's what RationalWiki is for.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
04.12.2011 - 16:47
Kennoth

I suppose there's not a single option in the poll for "I listen to it, don't care about the lyrics"? I'm not a fan of Satan, because I'm not retarded. I am an atheist though, so songs with such theme could appeal to me for that reason, if it's not overdone that is (which most black metal bands tend to do).
----
*insert something deep and profound*
06.12.2011 - 23:41
fightwithsteel
Account deleted
Lyrics about Satan or Satanic themes are alright with me in the form of a story or an exploration of that kind of religion (even though that's typically not my music anyway), but it has to be in a somewhat intelligent and artistic context (so not "I don't like Christianity and writing about Satan makes me look tough"), and that can't be the band's whole theme. "Number of the Beast" is the classic example. The song is about Satan, but it's not endorsing or promoting Satanism. I still don't dig those themes though. I find that it gets really unoriginal after a while, and its not really necessary.
06.12.2011 - 23:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I find it funny when people complain about lyrics being unoriginal. What's original then? Writing about politics, poverty and famine, inner angst, relationship problems, death and suicide? Come on, it's all been done before.

The only bands doing something original are bands like Ea. You don't even know what they're saying because it's in an outdated language (and they probably don't even know it, they just pretend to).
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
07.12.2011 - 01:05
Vombatus
Potorro
Do they even publish their lyrics ? It would be awesome if they did some explanations like Metatron's for the Meads (even if a 60,000 word essay wouldn't be necessary )

I do agree that most bands are somewhat unoriginal in their lyric aproach, but as Troy said, it's all been done before. And I don't mind when I can't understand 90% of what they say while singing.
09.12.2011 - 01:27
Albert-Satan

I am a band that has Satanic themes most members aren't Theistic Satanists, and if they were, they wouldn't be dedicated to a Satanic religion. Alot of "Satanic Metal" have lyrics that are Anti-theistic and Anti-Religious, and most are not involved in any "cult".

http://www.facebook.com/WarAgainstChrist
----
http://www.facebook.com/WarAgainstChrist WAC (Atlanta, GA)
10.12.2011 - 05:37
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Troy Killjoy on 06.12.2011 at 23:45

I find it funny when people complain about lyrics being unoriginal. What's original then? Writing about politics, poverty and famine, inner angst, relationship problems, death and suicide? Come on, it's all been done before.

The only bands doing something original are bands like Ea. You don't even know what they're saying because it's in an outdated language (and they probably don't even know it, they just pretend to).

They're probably singing about politics, poverty and famine, inner angst, relationship problems, death and suicide too.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
10.12.2011 - 06:19
MangledCorpse

I don't have a policy. If I like the music, I'll listen to it, regardless of what it's about. The only thing I draw the line at is Nazi stuff.
10.12.2011 - 06:43
JÄY
Metal slave
S'all gooooooooood.
17.12.2011 - 21:24
Bulus

I dont care bout the lyrics.. i listen to the musics . who is satan anyway?
17.12.2011 - 23:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Bulus on 17.12.2011 at 21:24

He's the guy who delivers presents around the world in a single night to all the good girls and boys as a symbolic celebration of the birth of a miracle child whose birthday was moved to a different day in order to comply with the Pagan celebration of winter solstice.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.12.2011 - 23:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.12.2011 at 23:32

Written by Bulus on 17.12.2011 at 21:24

He's the guy who delivers presents around the world in a single night to all the good girls and boys as a symbolic celebration of the birth of a miracle child whose birthday was moved to a different day in order to comply with the Pagan celebration of winter solstice.

So... the easter bunny?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.12.2011 - 23:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.12.2011 at 23:34
So... the easter bunny?

No I think it's Robin Hood.

Oh ya, I don't have a policy. I listen to music I like regardless of the image or ideology. NSBM, Satanic/gore/whatever themes, singing about fucking rainbows, you name it.
----
17.12.2011 - 23:40
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.12.2011 at 23:39

Oh ya, I don't have a policy. I listen to music I like regardless of the image or ideology. NSBM, Satanic/gore/whatever themes, singing about fucking rainbows, you name it.

Even when they talk about how they actually want to have sex with rainbows? cool...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
18.12.2011 - 07:48
Bulus

Written by X-Ray Rod on 17.12.2011 at 23:40

Written by Troy Killjoy on 17.12.2011 at 23:39

Even when they talk about how they actually want to have sex with rainbows? cool...

yup...even if they singing about flower or live or die or else (you name it)...as long as i think the music is acceptable (for me)...i listen to them bands.
20.12.2011 - 22:54
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
Alot of those bands that sing about satanic shit arnt satanists anyway, such as Slayer, but some bands really are satanists. I dont really care if they are or not, if the music is good then okay. Deicide and Morbid Angel are great bands imo.
08.01.2012 - 03:09
lordchadi

I don like satanics lyrics ,, im not a fan to glorify satan or insulting god ..
in my opinion everything must have limit ..
08.01.2012 - 10:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by lordchadi on 08.01.2012 at 03:09

You must lead a very unhappy life.
----
08.01.2012 - 11:12
VloRD

Written by lordchadi on 08.01.2012 at 03:09

Well, one of the main reasons I get pissed off with most mainstream music is that they have these aforementioned limits. And one of the many reasons I like the underground music moment is the lack of these limits. In my opinion anything which puts a stopper to the free flow of creativity is mirthless and does not have a place at least in the music industry.
----