Metal Storm logo
Your Policy On Listening To Satanic Metal

Original post

Posted by , 02.09.2011 - 02:37
I chose option number 4. When I started listening to metal, I was so strict that I stopped listening to Iron Maiden because of TNOTB. But then, especially when I started getting into death metal, I knew I must tolerate it if it's borderline or if it's one line per song. That's the way it goes for me. I listen to bands that blaspheme a little like Cryptopsy and Dismember, but bands like Deicide and Morbid Angel aren't accepted.

Poll

Which is your policy?

I listen to it. I don't read the lyrics.
I listen to it. I'm a fan of satan!
I don't listen to it at all!
I listen to it. I don't like the lyrics.
I listen to borderline stuff.

Total votes: 192
08.01.2012 - 11:13
VloRD

I listen to it. I read the lyrics, and I don't give a fuck.
----
08.01.2012 - 22:34
Absak

I listen to it. I don't read the lyrics nor care about them.
20.03.2012 - 03:16
Thrash83

Written by VloRD on 08.01.2012 at 11:13

Basically this.
20.03.2012 - 04:37
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I listen to it and laugh with some lyrics. Others I just don't care.
20.03.2012 - 19:57
Eve ofApocalypse

I listen to it, because I'm a fan of metal, and metal is the devil's music; the spirit of rebellion. What better symbol then, than Satan?
20.03.2012 - 22:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Eve ofApocalypse on 20.03.2012 at 19:57

... and metal is the devil's music; the spirit of rebellion...

to both statements, and why would you think it is?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.03.2012 - 06:44
Branzig

Whenever I listen to satanic muzik of kvlt helvete, I like to carve pentagrams into my wrists and spill my blood in the name of Lucifer.
----
In Grind We Crust
21.03.2012 - 06:53
Apatheria

Written by VloRD on 08.01.2012 at 11:13

This sounds about right.
----
Heavy metal is the law.
21.03.2012 - 07:36
Darkfiber

Oh mighty Satan, destroy those who love God!
21.03.2012 - 14:29
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Darkfiber on 21.03.2012 at 07:36

Oh mighty Satan, destroy those who love God!

Oh mighty Christian deity, destroy those who love the main Christian deity!
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
22.03.2012 - 05:54
Eve ofApocalypse

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.03.2012 at 22:05

Written by Eve ofApocalypse on 20.03.2012 at 19:57

... and metal is the devil's music; the spirit of rebellion...

to both statements, and why would you think it is?

Black Sabbath, the first real metal band, was rebelling against what they saw as the "peace and love shit" coming from American hippies. They were outside that movement, and critical of society in general. Most good metal bands have continued this tradition. The use of satanic imagery follows naturally; as any good bible thumper can tell you, Satan is the accuser.
22.03.2012 - 13:46
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Eve ofApocalypse on 22.03.2012 at 05:54
Black Sabbath, the first real metal band, was rebelling against what they saw as the "peace and love shit" coming from American hippies. They were outside that movement, and critical of society in general. Most good metal bands have continued this tradition. The use of satanic imagery follows naturally; as any good bible thumper can tell you, Satan is the accuser.

Rebelling against peace and love is the work of a Satanist?

Plenty of thrash bands were/are politically driven, yet only few used Satanic imagery - Slayer being the most obvious example. It doesn't follow naturally, but some bands use it as a marketing ploy because it's "different" or "inappropriate", which is geared towards teens who think they're outsiders by the simple virtue of listening to a style of music that isn't itself pushed into the mainstream. This has nothing to do with Satan and everything to do with money and target audience.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.03.2012 - 15:47
Cal Wolvington
Account deleted
I don't listen to satanic metal, but nor do I listen to Christian metal, I don't like getting preached at by musicians. I also avoid bands with violent lyrics, because I find such music emotionally empty and very difficult to enjoy. True and enjoyable anger can be expressed in truly poetic lyrics that go beyond Bacteria's debut or Cannibal Corpse's nonsense.
22.03.2012 - 16:12
Branzig

I just listen to what sounds good in my brainz! If they happen to be singing about violence or Satan or whatever, it is what it is.

And about violent bands being emotionally empty...I'd say the majority of them aren't singing about butchering limbs or raping corpses because they are truly homicidal maniacs or trying to get a cheap thrill out of people. Most of them see it as an art form, mush the same way a movie director sees his new slasher flick the same. They're a bunch of horror lovers that take their passion of cinema, stories, imagery etc and transform it into song.
----
In Grind We Crust
22.03.2012 - 23:07
Eve ofApocalypse

Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.03.2012 at 13:46

Written by Eve ofApocalypse on 22.03.2012 at 05:54

Rebelling against peace and love is the work of a Satanist?

Plenty of thrash bands were/are politically driven, yet only few used Satanic imagery - Slayer being the most obvious example. It doesn't follow naturally, but some bands use it as a marketing ploy because it's "different" or "inappropriate", which is geared towards teens who think they're outsiders by the simple virtue of listening to a style of music that isn't itself pushed into the mainstream. This has nothing to do with Satan and everything to do with money and target audience.

I agree with many here who would've answered, "I listen to it, I read the lyrics, and I don't care."
When I tried to say why I voted for "I listen to it. I'm a fan of satan!" as the closest match, I got questioned, so I tried to defend my comment. Now my answer is being questioned. I don't know why you want to read so much into a small comment. Sheesh!
23.03.2012 - 01:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Eve ofApocalypse on 22.03.2012 at 23:07
I don't know why you want to read so much into a small comment. Sheesh!

I was just responding to something someone said in a forum, no big deal.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.03.2012 - 06:44
Darkfiber

Written by Branzig on 22.03.2012 at 16:12

I just listen to what sounds good in my brainz! If they happen to be singing about violence or Satan or whatever, it is what it is.

And about violent bands being emotionally empty...I'd say the majority of them aren't singing about butchering limbs or raping corpses because they are truly homicidal maniacs or trying to get a cheap thrill out of people. Most of them see it as an art form, mush the same way a movie director sees his new slasher flick the same. They're a bunch of horror lovers that take their passion of cinema, stories, imagery etc and transform it into song.

Yes and no. I'd say there are TONS of bands out there who do it merely for a cheap thrill with virtually no artistic integrity whatsoever. Bands like Fornicator, Nasty Pig Dick, Anal Blast, etc. There are hundreds of bands like that out there. Granted, these are all terrible bands in my opinion and I would never listen to them, but my point is, they ALL do it to get a cheap thrill out of people and would probably laugh if anyone called their music art. Also, no, most metal musicians are not homicidal maniacs, though I could come up with a fairly good list of metal musicians who have actually murdered people, so there's that...
25.03.2012 - 08:16
bran

Satan in metal goes together like peanut butter and chocolate
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
25.03.2012 - 18:23
Branzig

Written by Darkfiber on 25.03.2012 at 06:44

Yes and no. I'd say there are TONS of bands out there who do it merely for a cheap thrill with virtually no artistic integrity whatsoever. Bands like Fornicator, Nasty Pig Dick, Anal Blast, etc. There are hundreds of bands like that out there. Granted, these are all terrible bands in my opinion and I would never listen to them, but my point is, they ALL do it to get a cheap thrill out of people and would probably laugh if anyone called their music art. Also, no, most metal musicians are not homicidal maniacs, though I could come up with a fairly good list of metal musicians who have actually murdered people, so there's that...

Sure, I'll somewhat go with what you said...except...

I said the majority, you are bringing up the minority. Out of the gigantic metal community out there, the majority aren't killers and see their music in an artistic way.
----
In Grind We Crust
25.03.2012 - 18:37
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by bran on 25.03.2012 at 08:16

----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.03.2012 - 18:55
Branzig

The candy trade....it's nasty work
----
In Grind We Crust
25.03.2012 - 20:04
Mattybu

I don't care about satanic lyrics in music, I don't particularly enjoy them, other than maybe when they are done by Mercyful Fate. Definitely other things I would rather hear about but if the music's good I don't mind them.
26.03.2012 - 06:08
bran

Written by X-Ray Rod on 25.03.2012 at 18:37

Written by bran on 25.03.2012 at 08:16

thats exactly what i was thinking of when i wrote my statement lol
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
26.03.2012 - 06:17
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Satan doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it. I will never listen to Mayhem, ever, due to the church burnings and I believe the murder of a bandmember or homosexual man?

I will never listen to Mayhem, sorry
----
26.03.2012 - 09:35
Darkfiber

Written by Branzig on 25.03.2012 at 18:23

Written by Darkfiber on 25.03.2012 at 06:44

Sure, I'll somewhat go with what you said...except...

I said the majority, you are bringing up the minority. Out of the gigantic metal community out there, the majority aren't killers and see their music in an artistic way.

Of course the majority are not murderers, however, what I was trying to say was, I firmly believe that the majority of grindcore/gore metal bands specifically with violent lyrics are doing it for shock value and not for artistic integrity. Sorry if I wasn't clear the first time around. I may be wrong, of course, but nearly all the bands I can think of with over the top violent lyrics are doing it for jokes to get a rise out of people.
26.03.2012 - 18:12
Branzig

Written by Nosurper on 26.03.2012 at 06:17

Satan doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it. I will never listen to Mayhem, ever, due to the church burnings and I believe the murder of a bandmember or homosexual man?

No one in Mayhem murdered a homo. That was the drummer in Emperor.

Varg killed the guitarist in Mayhem, Varg is the mastermind behind Burzum.

And I am sorry for you, because you are missing out! Mayhem rules!

I could care less what actions specific band members have done in the past. If the music is good, then that's all that matters. I don't see it as supporting a murderer, I see it as supporting extreme metal.
----
In Grind We Crust
26.03.2012 - 18:18
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Written by Branzig on 26.03.2012 at 18:12

Written by Nosurper on 26.03.2012 at 06:17

No one in Mayhem murdered a homo. That was the drummer in Emperor.

Varg killed the guitarist in Mayhem, Varg is the mastermind behind Burzum.

And I am sorry for you, because you are missing out! Mayhem rules!

I could care less what actions specific band members have done in the past. If the music is good, then that's all that matters. I don't see it as supporting a murderer, I see it as supporting extreme metal.

Ok, so Burzum's out then. The murder blows, I enjoy Emperor.
----
26.03.2012 - 18:20
Branzig

Written by Nosurper on 26.03.2012 at 18:18

Ok, and Emperor has to be out too, because the drummer killed the homo and their guitarist was a key member in church burnings...If you are going off your same moral policy to metal muzak
----
In Grind We Crust
26.03.2012 - 18:25
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Written by Branzig on 26.03.2012 at 18:20

Written by Nosurper on 26.03.2012 at 18:18

Ok, and Emperor has to be out too, because the drummer killed the homo and their guitarist was a key member in church burnings...If you are going off your same moral policy to metal muzak

NO WAY! I was misinformed , I will likely listen to much less of their stuff now though. Anthems to the Welken at Dusk is, and i guess always will be, enthralling!!!!!!!!
----
30.03.2012 - 09:00
elekctric

Mercyful Fate should be played loudly on Sundays to worship to while dancing with my Coven around the sacrificed virgins... HEHE its all just music isn't it. I actu,ally have to say i got a friend of mine who came from a baptist family, and is now an ordained minister to listen to Ghost. And he liked em!