Metal Storm logo
Your Policy On Listening To Satanic Metal

Original post

Posted by , 02.09.2011 - 02:37
I chose option number 4. When I started listening to metal, I was so strict that I stopped listening to Iron Maiden because of TNOTB. But then, especially when I started getting into death metal, I knew I must tolerate it if it's borderline or if it's one line per song. That's the way it goes for me. I listen to bands that blaspheme a little like Cryptopsy and Dismember, but bands like Deicide and Morbid Angel aren't accepted.

Poll

Which is your policy?

I listen to it. I don't read the lyrics.
I listen to it. I'm a fan of satan!
I don't listen to it at all!
I listen to it. I don't like the lyrics.
I listen to borderline stuff.

Total votes: 192
10.03.2013 - 03:26
skrog1

I'm so tired of satanism in metal. It's become a silly cliche. I personally don't care if you (the artist) are a satanist or not but seriously, this notion of every song being a hails to the leader of the fallen is dumb. I think there are a lot more relevant topics to be singing/screaming/barking about.
----
LIKE THE OFFICIAL SKROG FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!!!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband
24.04.2013 - 17:34
Skeletonryche95

I'm not very concerned about lyrics, but if satanic lyrics fit the atmosphere of the music, i say "cool, go for it".
26.04.2013 - 03:13
Rasputin

That's why I give props to Nile, despite the fact that I am not a fan of their music, they were among the first bands that attacked Islam, and now that is some heavy shit. This Satanism may have worked in the 80-90's, but in this day and age it is a joke.
I look at a lot of the bands I use to listen to, and just shake my head.
27.04.2013 - 08:27
NucloWhatEvaTHMf

Satanic images and lyrics are another stylistic element to a band´s expression of music or art. If someone really attemps to spread satanism through their music, it´s the bands policy. I don´t have to believe any of it, but if I find music creative and interesting, I´m listening to it just as any other music I like. And if people get offended or scared when they hear me listening satanic music, it´s their problem to deal with. I know what I want and that´s it.
28.04.2013 - 20:43
Sangre Sani

Well, there should be one option more for me. "I listen to it, I don't care about Satan and any kind of magic shit."
26.09.2013 - 03:52
Schizoid6.6

Written by Rasputin on 26.04.2013 at 03:13

That's why I give props to Nile, despite the fact that I am not a fan of their music, they were among the first bands that attacked Islam, and now that is some heavy shit. This Satanism may have worked in the 80-90's, but in this day and age it is a joke.

Yeah, this is kind of the way I feel about religion and gods in general. It was cool 1000 years ago, now it's just getting ridiculous and childish.

Satan is often just used to represent rebellion in general, it's not to be taken literally. The traditional tones in metal are more like inverted versions of traditional hyms or other popular music. It's meant to be controversial. But if people are tired of the subject, I guess it can monotonously go back to singing silly sappy love songs like every other song. Then what will it become?
27.09.2013 - 05:13
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
Where is the "I listen to the lyrics, I like the lyrics but I'm not a satan fan" I mean, I just like any metal and whatever lyrics are about, If they are good lyrics and fit the music, I'm happy with it and that doesn't mean I am a fan of "satan" if they speak of satan. Just like I'm not a fan of Hitler if they speak of WWII.
04.10.2013 - 03:58
Rasputin

Written by Schizoid6.6 on 26.09.2013 at 03:52

Written by Rasputin on 26.04.2013 at 03:13

Yeah, this is kind of the way I feel about religion and gods in general. It was cool 1000 years ago, now it's just getting ridiculous and childish.

Satan is often just used to represent rebellion in general, it's not to be taken literally. The traditional tones in metal are more like inverted versions of traditional hyms or other popular music. It's meant to be controversial. But if people are tired of the subject, I guess it can monotonously go back to singing silly sappy love songs like every other song. Then what will it become?

I know what Satan is used for. I listened and followed the Black Metal culture for a while, but like I said, it is not important anymore. Satan controversial? Where do you see that? Maybe still in Poland, Spain and Italy, for the rest of the world it is a gimmick, nothing more. That is why it is stupid to continue using it. It signifies nothing, it is nothing, and it will be nothing in the end.
We are already going back. Look at the genres, it is the same rehashed shit, nothing of any substance anymore. I remember buying at least 20 albums a year, now if I find 3 it is amazing. There is very little expansion of any genre, it is all bland, same crap.
08.10.2013 - 03:05
Goatreich

Wait.... they talk about Satan in metal music? Whoa.... I need to reevaluate my life now.
08.10.2013 - 19:14
Rasputin

Written by Goatreich on 08.10.2013 at 03:05

Wait.... they talk about Satan in metal music? Whoa.... I need to reevaluate my life now.

Repent sinner, repent
08.10.2013 - 19:25
Mercyful_Kate

I don't believe in God or Satan, so I think references to either are kind of cute and hokey.
10.10.2013 - 22:43
Mad Arab666

I honestly don't care if a band is singing about satan or Jesus. As long the music is good.
----
Bring up the wolves head!
09.11.2013 - 20:50
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Just give me good musicianship and songwriting and I'll take anything you throw at me (even pro-Christian lyrics if you want).
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
11.11.2013 - 18:12
Schnabeltier 24

Well, I've never thought something like : "wow, this album looks really satanic, I must listen to it" ! When I decided to give a listen to a band like Morbid Angel or Decide (it was quite a long time ago ), it was not because they were known for their Satan-driven lyrics, but because I wanted to discover death metal. If the lyrics were about unicorns, it would have been the same (don't get me wrong, you undersand what I mean )
----
Hey there, tiny wench !
11.11.2013 - 21:40
Yuros

I agree with people who would vote for "I listen to black metal, like the lyrics, but I don't really care if they are Satanic". It doesn't really matter for me - I don't choose bands to listen to based on their religion or ideology.
12.11.2013 - 07:34
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
I don't care if the band are Satanists or they sing about Satanism. They can do what they want, and if they have good music that's all that really matters. But all the stuff behind the whole Satanism thing is just one big cliche now. It's not a shock anymore. Funny thing about Morbid Angel too is that I watched an interview of David Vincent where he said that Satanism was completely unintelligent. That was from '89 or '90 I think though.
12.11.2013 - 16:06
Mercyful_Kate

It's hokey and cliche, but I can dig it.
14.11.2013 - 13:32
Blessedmetal

I dont listen to it, it fears me.
14.11.2013 - 19:26
no one
Account deleted
Written by Blessedmetal on 14.11.2013 at 13:32

I dont listen to it, it fears me.

really, it actually fears you ?
15.11.2013 - 09:39
Blessedmetal

Yeah i were a couple of times by bands that claimed to be satanic, and when they started to play i felt it was not right.
a bad feeling.
Sounds a little bit childish i think, but its true.
Maybe its because of the fact im a christian, and dont like to face or listen satanic bands.
16.11.2013 - 21:00
no one
Account deleted
Written by Blessedmetal on 15.11.2013 at 09:39

Yeah i were a couple of times by bands that claimed to be satanic, and when they started to play i felt it was not right.
a bad feeling.
Maybe its because of the fact im a christian, and dont like to face or listen satanic bands.

So you would probably be able to pick out the trv satanic bands
17.11.2013 - 03:08
DyingWorld

Being that I'm not a Christian, I'm not bothered by any of it. Although I wouldn't call myself a Satanist, I agree with a lot of the Satanic philosophies I've read over the years. Some of it just seems like common sense. I respect Satanic bands that write about what they believe though.
19.11.2013 - 10:28
Blessedmetal

Written by Guest on 16.11.2013 at 21:00

a bad feeling.

No not myself. Maybe its because ive accepted Jesus
The image of the band and their lyrics (i've heard what they scream about) gave me a really bad feeling.
And ive went outisde building..
I dont like to hear hatred things about God/christians
I either don't like christian bands who have lyrics about anti satanism or something
19.11.2013 - 10:29
Blessedmetal

Written by DyingWorld on 17.11.2013 at 03:08

Being that I'm not a Christian, I'm not bothered by any of it. Although I wouldn't call myself a Satanist, I agree with a lot of the Satanic philosophies I've read over the years. Some of it just seems like common sense. I respect Satanic bands that write about what they believe though.

What kind of philosophies, believe in yourself, you are your own god or something.
Ive read some things about Lavayne
19.11.2013 - 17:30
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Blessedmetal on 19.11.2013 at 10:29

I think you mean LaVeyan Satanism.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
19.11.2013 - 19:27
no one
Account deleted
Written by Blessedmetal on 19.11.2013 at 10:28

Written by Guest on 16.11.2013 at 21:00

a bad feeling.

No not myself. Maybe its because ive accepted Jesus
The image of the band and their lyrics (i've heard what they scream about) gave me a really bad feeling.
And ive went outisde building..
I dont like to hear hatred things about God/christians
I either don't like christian bands who have lyrics about anti satanism or something

Was only joking Still don't know why you would fear the music though, concerned maybe, but if you were so faithful it wouldn't fear you would it ? what, do you fear Satan is going to posses you or something, influence your thoughts ?
20.11.2013 - 09:12
Blessedmetal

You are right when i am so faithfull i dont have to fear satan, but i am a human and not Jesus who could easily deal with evil. Sometimes i am to weak or too selfminded to ask for help.

I am indeed concerned when i listen to that kind of abands. Ive listened to Gorgoroth a couple of times but i get frightened by their music/image and i can hear some of the lyrics too
20.11.2013 - 09:13
Blessedmetal

Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.11.2013 at 17:30

I think you mean LaVeyan Satanism.

Yeah im sorry, im mean LaVeyan
are there other kinds of satanism?

There is also a kind of satanism who actually see Satan as a God am i right?
20.11.2013 - 15:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Blessedmetal on 20.11.2013 at 09:13
are there other kinds of satanism?
There is also a kind of satanism who actually see Satan as a God am i right?

You're thinking of Theistic Satanism. It doesn't necessarily paint Satan as a god, since the idea of Satan is a Christian construct and a fair deal of Satanists believe these religious constructs are one of the most significant issues holding our species back. This type of Satanism can also have strong relations with occultism but never takes away the primary goal of self-actualization.

Orthodox black metal bands (Deathspell Omega) compose their lyrics through the eyes of a Theistic Satanist, praising Satan as a god. That said, occult black metal bands like Beherit or Blood of Kingu choose to focus on mythical or ancient civilizations (or, for example, Sumerian texts for inspiration). They can still by all accounts be considered Theistic Satanists (at least lyrically, I have no idea what they practice in their daily lives, if anything) even though at no point do they ever address Satan as a/their god. It's more about self-empowerment through mythological study in this sense.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.11.2013 - 06:45
DyingWorld

Written by DyingWorld on 17.11.2013 at 03:08

What kind of philosophies, believe in yourself, you are your own god or something.

Mostly from independent satanists. Some tend to blend ideas from The Satanic Bible with actual occultism and spirituality. I would say a lot of it has to do with self empowerment. Of course, there's also theistic Satanism but I personally don't acknowledge any real deities.