03. End Of The Rope
04. Elysian Night
05. Deadlight
06. Dead World Assembly
07. A Phantom Dissonance
08. The Quiet Storm
09. The Death Of Hours
10. Wall Of Sighs [bonus]

Being around since 1994, Draconian is one of those bands that had to be patient so as to see their visions come true and it wasn't until 2003 when their melodic gothic doom/death metal debut came to the surface. Despite their heavy influences from pioneering acts with personal sound ( Theatre Of Tragedy, Katatonia, Paradise Lost to name the more dominant ones) they managed through their inspirational/emotional status and persuading performance to reach the hearts of the aforementioned scene's audience and create quite a buzz around them.

And then Arcane Rain Fell, one of the richest releases of the later years in this very specific field of metal rewarded everyone that had entrusted their hopes on Draconian and everyone could notice their audience growing in numbers day by day. It was its lyrical theme but most and above all the way they interpreted the grief and sorrow, but also the scornful wrath, of the most sang figure in metal history, the exiled Archangel.

During The Burning Halo EP they started showing a less affected and more spot-on gothic metal face with a doom-flirting background and it was with Turning Season Within they moved towards this sound to a wider extent. Less affected/elegant and more straight-forward compositions in terms of emotion were its main characteristics, failing to create the captivating aesthetic which was the locomotive lever that made them what they are.

Three years later, a promising title and cover artwork started a high mobility among the ranks of the band's audience. Their fourth and long-awaited full-length was reality. Turning Season Within was a step forward for the sound of the band whereas their later effort, A Rose For The Apocalypse, is a step backwards simply because it adds nothing new to the musical journey of Draconian. The only factor that seems to have progressed has to be Lisa Johansson's entrancing interpretation, apparently though she's not enough to take off the rope from the band's neck. It's not a bad album, but it's not good either. It just doesn't live up to any expectation. The band tried to rehash the fresh sound of their previous effort and blend it partially with the aesthetic of past glories without succeeding.

What Draconian seem to be missing nowadays is the art of making a song stick to your mind, an essential element for bands like them that rely on atmosphere. Of course there are bands without memorable compositions that possess the charisma of earning the respect of the listener in their very own way, Draconian never were and don't seem to be one of them these days. In one hand they have their influences, something welcome (even to the extent they breathe through their work), on the other hand they seem to copy themselves to a level that makes you think you've been there before and it was far better, so what's the point? Anders' grunts have remained the same, but this time they seem they're not working things out. It must be the poorer musical environment that's not enough and doesn't seem to help him stand at the front with grandeur. Even the "cinematic" recites don't possess not 1% of the poetic aura they had back in Arcane Rain Fell. And in this mire of composing mediocrity here come the 64 minutes of duration that make this experience nearly traumatic. It's too much for a shadow of themselves. In the end there's not pretty much to recall and more or less the negative aspects surpass any flickering hope.

"September began with a goodbye to my heart ". The way I feel about this album has already been said (and done) by Draconian themselves, I couldn't express it better, "we are mere whisperings of a heartfelt elegy".

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 6
Production: 9

Written on 02.09.2011 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Guest review by
Vonpire
Rating:
Whenever I hear Draconian playing, I feel a bag of mixed feelings: calm but heavy, deep and majestic. And especially something I don't feel with many bands... chills all over my spine. And that for me is priceless.

The first time I heard this album it didn't hit me exactly like I was expecting. Fortunately, what I thought of the album upon my first listen has been completely changed with the subsequent hearings. Now I put it at a high level of excellence, at the level of previous Draconian works. It brings them a more mature sound, but with the same geniality and force as ever, clearly showing that they are a top gothic/doom metal act with merit.

Read more ››
published 29.09.2011 | Comments (71)

Comments page 3 / 3

Comments: 87   Visited by: 561 users
06.09.2011 - 01:12
Merchant of Doom

Written by BitterCOld on 05.09.2011 at 20:39

I have to wonder why 40 watt warning keeps coming up in a thread about another band... i didn't realize it was one or the other...

but i could have sworn this was about draconian.

we are allowed a little OT? Surely...
06.09.2011 - 03:38
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Merchant of Doom on 06.09.2011 at 01:12

Written by BitterCOld on 05.09.2011 at 20:39

I have to wonder why 40 watt warning keeps coming up in a thread about another band... i didn't realize it was one or the other...

but i could have sworn this was about draconian.

we are allowed a little OT? Surely...

some, sure... just wondering why the whole whining about Warning thing in a Draconian review thread has crossed into another Draconian review thread and the Warning review thread.

nvm the prior post which made it seem as one had to like one or another.

clearly the OW masturbates to Draconian and hates Warning.

i slash my wrists to Warning, and don't really care for (this) Draconian

You don't seem to like either.

just seems an odd correlation to repeat ad infinitum.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
06.09.2011 - 10:47
Merchant of Doom

I didn't read the previous reviews, so I can't comment. No idea why Behdad brought the Warning up. Maybe because it's a completely different kind of Doom? i.e. because I'm criticising Draconian I must like stuff like Warning and 40 Watt Sun? In fact, I do prefer this Draconian album to any of Warning's. And I find Pat Walker's voice pretty annoying. Give me growls any day.
09.09.2011 - 17:19
Rating: 7
hadriel

A tad bit harsh I think, but generally agree with the review. tbh I got a little bored my first listen through and since then have had trouble making it through the whole album again. Just doesn't compare to their past releases, I was expecting more from Draconian.
11.09.2011 - 15:24
Cassian

After some times listening to this album, I figure out that it is somehow underestimated by a lot of people. After such a resounding success its predecessor is, we - fans of Draconian - probably expected something better or at least similar. The band does not believe so however. As we may have noticed, Turning Season Within is fairly heavier than their previous works, and slightly moves towards another direction of gothic-with-more-doom metal. Certainly, we looked forward to another album which sounds, perhaps, the same. So, when Draconian decided to soften their music a wee bit and create deeper and more melodic songs, many of us were disappointed. Personally, I feel that Lisa's voice sounds is wider, and she herself plays an important role when it comes to delivering the melodic parts of the songs, as in Elysian Night, Dead World Assembly, and especially The Quiet Storm which sounds a bit experimental.

A Rose For The Apocalypse is simply an amazing album, which proves that Draconian is more than creative - they always renew themselves for the better. I believe a true fan of Draconian will fall deeply in love with this album as much as their previous works, or even more.
11.09.2011 - 17:11
serega25

Cassian +10
11.09.2011 - 17:35
Rating: 8
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Cassian on 11.09.2011 at 15:24

I believe a true fan of Draconian will fall deeply in love with this album as much as their previous works, or even more.

A 'true' fan? As opposed to what, a 'false' fan? That makes no sense to me, you're either a fan of the band's music or your not. There is no elevated status among such fans rendering them 'true'.
A fan of the band may well dislike this album, so these individuals are to be considered as 'false' fans?

Personally I enjoyed the album, can't say I'm 'deeply in love' with it though, it's nowhere near their best. As a fan of the band I guess I must be 'false'.
11.09.2011 - 18:43
Rating: 10
Vonpire

Popcorns anyone!?
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
11.09.2011 - 20:42
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Vonpire on 11.09.2011 at 18:43

Popcorns anyone!?

I'd rather have some regular popcorn, tyvm.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
11.09.2011 - 20:44
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Besides, your tears are salty... should probably counter that with a sweet snack. salt + more salt = bad pairing.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
11.09.2011 - 20:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I believe he has sand in his vagina too.
11.09.2011 - 21:06
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 11.09.2011 at 20:46

Quit being such a mean troll, Joe.
----
11.09.2011 - 21:08
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 11.09.2011 at 21:06

Quit being such a mean troll, Joe.

I am not an average troll, I am an excellent troll.
11.09.2011 - 21:12
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 11.09.2011 at 21:08

Trolls trollin' trolls, ftw, f yeah.
----
11.09.2011 - 21:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by vezzy on 11.09.2011 at 21:12

Written by Guest on 11.09.2011 at 21:08

Trolls trollin' trolls, ftw, f yeah.

This makes me want to post a particular Limp Bizkit song right here on everyone's nizzle.
11.09.2011 - 21:17
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 11.09.2011 at 21:13

This makes me want to post a particular Limp Bizkit song right here on everyone's nizzle.

Just don't let the fuzz 'durst' ya, m'kay?
----
12.09.2011 - 00:45
Vonpire

Mamaki oh meretriz!
----
15.09.2011 - 06:46
WhyDoIDoThis

Beautiful lyrics. Beautiful melodies. Beautiful presentation. Beauty Level: 99
I must say I'm a fan. I really like The Quiet Storm. "...and we see ourselves for the first time as the ones we truly are.." Ah, Beauty. Thou hast saved me from the abyss of my depression and spurred my soul into action.
----
Woah!? I'm a female? No way! You're far too observant. Tone that down a bit.
13.03.2012 - 08:32
Rating: 8
The Melting Snow

I liked the album a lot. Especially Elysian Night, The Death of Hours and Dead world Assembly. True they sound less dark and melancholic, but i like the improved riffs and melodies.
09.07.2012 - 08:30
Rating: 5
Opethian

This album was such an Epic disappointment. The bland vocals, minimal inspiration, energy & focus I want to say that this is why Lisa quit the band. Its a shame because Tristania & Draconian are my two most favorite 'Gothic Metal' band. I hope (If there is a next time) that they get their heads out of their asses and deliver us some great 'Gothic' music. Thats if they find an exceptional replacement for Lisa
12.10.2012 - 20:52
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Wondering why such a harsh opinion about an excelent album like this... This album has a lot of memorable tracks, The Drowning Age, The Last Hour of Ancient Sunlight, Deadlight, Dead World Assembly, Wall of Sighs or The Death of Hours are some marvelous songs. It is a little bit different compared to their first opus, but an obvious path since it was hinted by their 3rd opus, Turning Season Within. I do not get why this album deserves such a low mark when it definitely does not, I think this review is unfair for both the band and the album. I prefer the other one, much more realistic and more credible than this one.

You can definitely feel the Draconian feeling in this album, same like in the others.
01.12.2013 - 22:03
Rating: 9
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Why change when you've already reached maximum level?
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
03.05.2018 - 15:05
DraconianJays

Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 12.10.2012 at 20:52

Wondering why such a harsh opinion about an excelent album like this... This album has a lot of memorable tracks, The Drowning Age, The Last Hour of Ancient Sunlight, Deadlight, Dead World Assembly, Wall of Sighs or The Death of Hours are some marvelous songs. It is a little bit different compared to their first opus, but an obvious path since it was hinted by their 3rd opus, Turning Season Within. I do not get why this album deserves such a low mark when it definitely does not, I think this review is unfair for both the band and the album. I prefer the other one, much more realistic and more credible than this one.

You can definitely feel the Draconian feeling in this album, same like in the others.

The issue with most who worship melancholy is most obvious when a band does something different or intellectual and challenges their audience to a perspective that they may not actually be used to and typically don't wish to acknowledge. People are expecting a certain element in doom and when that element is absent or tweaked too much people get winy and really don't wish to challenge themselves, and thereby give biased reviews but that happens a LOT on here. I find Angry Metal Guy to be much more objective and fair in their reviews than most reviews on this sight.
----
One is only as ignorant as they choose to be
-DraconianJays
03.05.2018 - 15:16
DraconianJays

Written by R'Vannith on 11.09.2011 at 17:35

Written by Cassian on 11.09.2011 at 15:24

I believe a true fan of Draconian will fall deeply in love with this album as much as their previous works, or even more.

A 'true' fan? As opposed to what, a 'false' fan? That makes no sense to me, you're either a fan of the band's music or your not. There is no elevated status among such fans rendering them 'true'.
A fan of the band may well dislike this album, so these individuals are to be considered as 'false' fans?

Personally I enjoyed the album, can't say I'm 'deeply in love' with it though, it's nowhere near their best. As a fan of the band I guess I must be 'false'.

A fan of the band themselves as opposed to a fan of a particular album of that band. There is a difference. Only some Draconian listeners actually understand and except the experimental and ever-changing aspects of who they are. Draconian themselves had always said in reflection on just about every completed album that they felt they were never quite able to achieve the sound they were looking for and luckily for them Napalm allowed them experimental freedom to find that sound, and this album was the first completed project in which they were actually satisfied with and felt it was a reflection of what they as a band were actually trying to achieve. It's not very often when a band finds a label that allows them to say that they weren't entirely satisfied with a completed album.
----
One is only as ignorant as they choose to be
-DraconianJays
03.05.2018 - 19:15
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by DraconianJays on 03.05.2018 at 15:05

The issue with most who worship melancholy is most obvious when a band does something different or intellectual and challenges their audience to a perspective that they may not actually be used to and typically don't wish to acknowledge. People are expecting a certain element in doom and when that element is absent or tweaked too much people get winy and really don't wish to challenge themselves, and thereby give biased reviews but that happens a LOT on here. I find Angry Metal Guy to be much more objective and fair in their reviews than most reviews on this sight.

This applies for all kinds of music. When a band strays from a successful formula, old fans start moaning. Of course, not counting bands that sell out. In this case, the bitchyness is mandatory.
24.09.2019 - 15:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by WhyDoIDoThis on 15.09.2011 at 06:46

Beautiful lyrics. Beautiful melodies. Beautiful presentation. Beauty Level: 99
I must say I'm a fan. I really like The Quiet Storm. "...and we see ourselves for the first time as the ones we truly are.." Ah, Beauty. Thou hast saved me from the abyss of my depression and spurred my soul into action.

all doom, gothic and some bm bands has beatiful lyrics
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.02.2024 - 01:08
Vonpire

This review is a bad joke, seriously!
----

Hits total: 12045 | This month: 57