Metal Storm logo
Songs that you feel define genres.

Original post

Posted by Judas, 09.09.2011 - 06:40
Here's the scenario:
You have a friend who wants to hear a song that you feel is representative of a certain type of metal. They've heard lots about the subgenre, but they want you to recommend just one song that, in your opinion, incorporates most of the essential elements of the aforementioned subgenre that they can listen to and make a reasonably informed decision about whether or not that particular style does it for them (i.e. if they like the song, you think there's a fair chance they'll find quite a few bands they like within that subgenre, and if they don't like the song, you feel they probably won't like the subgenre on the whole).

Here are my choices:
Heavy Metal - 22 Acacia Avenue (Iron Maiden).
Doom Metal - Solitude (Candlemass).
Speed Metal - Majesty (Blind Guardian).
Thrash Metal - Angel of Death (Slayer).
Death Metal - Leprosy (Death).
Black Metal - In the Mist by the Hills (Satyricon).
Folk Metal - Journey Man (Korpiklaani).
Viking Metal - Sweoland Conqueror (Thyrfing).
Power Metal - Eagle Fly Free (Helloween).

(N.B. This list only incorporates genres that I like. I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending a song from a genre I'm not a fan of myself, e.g. Progressive Metal. Furthermore, the bands and songs listed are not necessarily my favourites from each genre; I just feel they give a good feel for the genre as a whole.)

Thoughts?
16.05.2015 - 01:09
ADIresiduos

Here's my list:
Thrash Metal - Battery - Metallica
Heavy Metal - You've Got Another Thing Coming - Judas Priest
Nu Metal - Wait And Bleed - Slipknot
Metal - Cowboys From Hell - Pantera
Death Metal - Scream Bloody Gore - Death
Power Metal - Keeper Of The Seven Keys - Helloween
Prog Rock - Empire - Queensryche
Hard Rock - Awake - Godsmack
Alt Rock - Been Caught Stealin' - Jane's Addiction
Rap Metal - Bring The Noise - Anthrax / Public Enemy
Symphonic Metal - Showtime, Storytime - Nightwish
Extreme Metal - any song from Cannibal Corpse
Doom Metal - Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Metalcore - The Rose Of Sharyn - Killswitch Engage
Industrial Metal - Psalm 69 - Ministry
Glam Metal - Talk Dirty To Me - Poison
16.05.2015 - 03:28
Ganondox

Written by ADIresiduos on 16.05.2015 at 01:09

Here's my list:

I certainly hope when you wrote just "Metal", you meant groove metal. Anyway, Empire is metal, not arch-typical prog rock, and IMO the song Awake isn't even hard rock at all.
16.05.2015 - 03:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Ganondox on 16.05.2015 at 03:28

Here's my list:

I certainly hope when you wrote just "Metal", you meant groove metal. Anyway, Empire is metal, not arch-typical prog rock, and IMO the song Awake isn't even hard rock at all.

Actually that Pantera song is thrash.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.05.2015 - 03:34
Ganondox

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.05.2015 at 03:30

Written by Ganondox on 16.05.2015 at 03:28

Here's my list:

Actually that Pantera song is thrash.

Even if it also falls under thrash, it's definitely falls under groove, and as he already has something for thrash I assume he meant groove.
16.05.2015 - 03:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Groove is a subgenre of thrash so shouldn't have been put there in the first place. But then again metal = heavy metal which he also put in there adn has cannibal corpse as extreme metal when they are deatrh metal and exztreme metal = death metal + black metal + thrash metal etc
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.05.2015 - 03:41
Ganondox

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 16.05.2015 at 03:38

Groove is a subgenre of thrash so shouldn't have been put there in the first place. But then again metal = heavy metal which he also put in there adn has cannibal corpse as extreme metal when they are deatrh metal and exztreme metal = death metal + black metal + thrash metal etc

There is some groove which I don't think would fall under thrash, hence post-thrash, but whatever. People divide things differently. The point is I don't think he would have put both Heavy Metal and just Metal down, and but he might have. Listening to it again, it's a decent choice to metal in general, much better choice than most Pantera songs.
16.05.2015 - 03:44
Guib
Thrash Talker

Thank You Marcel It seems people have a hard try understanding that Pantera is Thrash Metal (I mean from Cowboys to Southern, obviously). I really don't get how hard it can be.
Why is it that people think Pantera is not Thrash. Does anyone have a logical explanation for this... No one seems to argue that Exhorder is thrash, why Pantera?
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
16.05.2015 - 03:49
Ganondox

Written by Guib on 16.05.2015 at 03:44

Thank You Marcel It seems people have a hard try understanding that Pantera is Thrash Metal (I mean from Cowboys to Southern, obviously). I really don't get how hard it can be.
Why is it that people think Pantera is not Thrash. Does anyone have a logical explanation for this... No one seems to argue that Exhorder is thrash, why Pantera?

Yeah, Pantera is thrash, and so is Ministry. They just also fit in a derivative genre.
16.05.2015 - 03:55
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Ganondox on 16.05.2015 at 03:49

Yeah, Pantera is thrash, and so is Ministry. They just also fit in a derivative genre.

Yeah but the ''derivative genre'' is basically always fused with Thrash *if you're talking about Groove obviously* I mean look at Exhorder, Machine Head, Lamb Of God, Pissing Razors (...)
It's like not understanding why ''Crossover'' would be Thrash Metal... But yeah I suppose I get what you mean.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
16.05.2015 - 04:00
Ganondox

Written by Guib on 16.05.2015 at 03:55

Yeah but the ''derivative genre'' is basically always fused with Thrash *if you're talking about Groove obviously* I mean look at Exhorder, Machine Head, Lamb Of God, Pissing Razors (...)
It's like not understanding why ''Crossover'' would be Thrash Metal... But yeah I suppose I get what you mean.

I feel Lamb of God is more metalcore than thrash, but I'm not a fan of them so that's only what I've picked up. Now back to what you feel defines genres.
16.05.2015 - 04:01
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Ganondox on 16.05.2015 at 04:00

Written by Guib on 16.05.2015 at 03:55

I feel Lamb of God is more metalcore than thrash, but I'm not a fan of them so that's only what I've picked up. Now back to what you feel defines genres.

Well I gotta give you that Lamb Of God as definitely Metalcore influences, but also A LOT of thrash influences as well. One does not stop the other, that's the thing people must understand I think.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here