06. Küss Mich
07. Davert-Tanz
08. Melancholie
09. Albtraum
10. Pferdesegen
11. Nymphenzeit
12. Madre Deus
13. Segel Setzen

Call it Folk Metal, call it Mittelalter Metal, everyone knows In Extremo and knows what are they doing, they 're one of top contenders of the so called "Medieval Metal" category, and this, their seventh album tries to prove that they're not giving the throne to anyone.

This is In Extremo most controversial album, since a lot of die hard fans didn't like it, and why is that? The formula is basically the same as always, powerful German lyrics (although In Extremo also sings in Spanish and Latin) with medieval melodies and instruments like bagpipes, harps among others. I must say that this Folk trend is starting to get on my nerves, maybe some years ago they were original, but not anymore, because more and more bands are trying to do the same, many lack the inspiration that In Extremo have, but some do, leaving this band as a precursor of the genre, but not an innovator.

I've heard some other albums of In Extremo and I must admit that they were a lot better than this one, and I'm not saying that this album is bad, because is not, it just lacks more good songs, I mean I only have 2 songs that I always listen while this is on my player, those are of course the great opener "Erdbeermund" and "Küss Mich", songs that ironically, are the 2 singles of the album.

Maybe I feel the sound in this album a little more cold than the others, more robotic, when Folk Metal needs to have that "happy" vibe to make it work.
I won't mention the word Industrial here (although I already mentioned) because a couple of electronic samples and some minor stuff doesn't make this album Industrial, as some might assume.

Those songs are really great, and I'll listen to them often, but as the rest of the album, simply lacks the same touch that other releases had. This is not a bad album by any means, but when you have albums like 'Vererht Und Angespien' and 'Sünder Ohne Zügel' I can imagine is hard to surpass them. Just a minor trip on the way for In Extremo, hope they can overcome this and give us a new masterpiece

Written by Undercraft | 08.12.2004

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 27 users
04.10.2006 - 05:46
Rating: 10
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I agree it's a different way form their previous albums, but maybe that's what they were looking for, a new way in teh band style. I mean, the formula is teh same, as Undercraft says, but there's something different. I personally find "7" as In Extremo's best album.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
15.11.2006 - 18:10
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Imo, it's not their best album, I find it pretty different, though it has some good songs, like "Ave Maria", "Mein Kind" and "Sagrada Trobar"
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
16.11.2006 - 03:00
Rating: 10
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by The Alchemist on 15.11.2006 at 18:10

Imo, it's not their best album, I find it pretty different, though it has some good songs, like "Ave Maria", "Mein Kind" and "Sagrada Trobar"

That's because you don't have all of their albums. Nah, froget it, it's a matter of taste. I love 7 because it was the firs In Extremo album I listened and has a great feeling mxture, happyness, love, sadness, hope...
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
28.06.2008 - 18:45
Rating: 7
Hamird
Lieutenant
I think this album is not the best in comparing with their other works. I don't like the album, because it's strangely different!! I prefer In Extremo on their other albums.
I like Ave Maria and Kuss Mich so much!

Hits total: 6440 | This month: 25