Metal Storm logo
Opeth - Entire New Album Streaming Online

Heritage, the new album from Swedish prog metallers Opeth, is now streaming in its entirety at NPR.

Heritage is set for a September 20th release via Roadrunner records. More information about the album was previous reported over here and here.

Source: npr.org
Band profile: Opeth
Posted: 12.09.2011 by BudDa

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 48   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 363 users
12.09.2011 - 10:29
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
I think half of the world has already heard it due to leak.
----
7.0 means the album is good
12.09.2011 - 10:51
BaZaH
Account deleted
YES!
12.09.2011 - 13:49
Metalorgy
Well, I'm still going to wait for my mail-order and listen to it the old fashioned way with a glass of wine.
12.09.2011 - 14:22
Storchillarn
You'll need more than a glass of wine to appreciate Heritage. More like.. three bottels.
12.09.2011 - 15:02
advent
Written by Storchillarn on 12.09.2011 at 14:22

You'll need more than a glass of wine to appreciate Heritage. More like.. three bottels.

Yes same idea came to my mind
12.09.2011 - 15:56
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Storchillarn on 12.09.2011 at 14:22

LOL at that comment

Over here, I liked Heritage since the first listen. Now I absolutely love it.
But I can see why so many fans don't like it, Mikael warned us after all.

Still, I believe at least some guys will be able to appreciate the record after some time or after they calm down a bit.
12.09.2011 - 16:20
bodomroy
At first i liked it, it's not easy to listen this album, it will take some time
12.09.2011 - 16:28
atrox
Hmm.. mellow..
12.09.2011 - 16:38
Fredd
Account deleted
I'm angry at Opeth for releasing an all-easy-listening album, but I appreciate the album in itself. So when I rate it, I'd give it a 7 maximum, not because the album is musically average (it isnt) but because I am disapponted, having waited for a good Opeth album for two years only to get this.

Again, I do appreciate the music in itself.
12.09.2011 - 17:17
malaikat
Written by Guest on 12.09.2011 at 16:38

So when I rate it, I'd give it a 7 maximum, not because the album is musically average (it isnt) but because I am disapponted

That's some mighty objective thinking you've got there.
12.09.2011 - 17:24
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by malaikat on 12.09.2011 at 17:17

So when I rate it, I'd give it a 7 maximum, not because the album is musically average (it isnt) but because I am disapponted

Objectivity my ass

Seriously, when I rate an album, I have to take the band's status and history into consideration, and I believe that's being objective.
And no, I have every right to lower my rating when I'm disappointed with the effort, I'm a human with opinions, not a machine, you know.
12.09.2011 - 17:38
malaikat
Written by Guest on 12.09.2011 at 17:24

Objectivity my ass

Seriously, when I rate an album, I have to take the band's status and history into consideration, and I believe that's being objective.
And no, I have every right to lower my rating when I'm disappointed with the effort, I'm a human with opinions, not a machine, you know.

Ofcourse you can, I didn't say you couldn't. But it is kinda lame and childish.
To each his own, I suppose.
12.09.2011 - 17:44
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by malaikat on 12.09.2011 at 17:38

Written by Guest on 12.09.2011 at 17:24

Objectivity my ass

But it is kinda lame and childish.

"lame and childish" is rating an album 1 or 2 because "it sucks". Lowering the rating by one point because you don't like the direction the band is going is neither lame nor childish, my good man. I demand an apology or I'll sue.

12.09.2011 - 17:49
malaikat
@ Fredd

Sorry, don't like overly subjective people. I understand that we "aren't machines", but I appreciate some level of rational objectivity in others when discussing music or other forms of art.
Anyway, offtopic
12.09.2011 - 17:51
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by malaikat on 12.09.2011 at 17:49

@ Fredd

Sorry, don't like overly subjective people. I understand that we "aren't machines", but I appreciate some level of rational objectivity in others when discussing music or other forms of art.
Anyway, offtopic

I love you too.
12.09.2011 - 17:57
Have you all gone deaf or something? This album is brilliant, and although I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion, in MY opinion if you think this album is weak, you are out of your fucking mind. Granted, it took me a few listens as well, but now I can't stop. It is all I have listened to for a week now.

Anyway, I think their next album will be back to their prog-death sound. They have not quit being a metal band, they just like to experiment with different styles. Ghost Reveries came right after they did Damnation, and it is one of their hardest and darkest albums to date.

Opeth rules the fucking Earth, I don't care what anybody says.
12.09.2011 - 17:57
Benjamin
Wow, I really needed more of a warning before listening to this. This album is fused together.... badly.
I don't get it.... may need another 15 listens. At this stage I can't appreciate it. Bring back Peter Lindgren!!!
12.09.2011 - 18:01
JD
Account deleted
What the deal with the "Mikael warned us after all" I'm sick of hearing this phrase! I think it's a smart way to sell their new weird record.

Anyway about the album I think it's a solid one I'd give it a 7 or 8.
12.09.2011 - 18:03
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Benjamin on 12.09.2011 at 17:57

This album is fused together.... badly.

Bring back Peter Lindgren!!!

I agree
12.09.2011 - 18:07
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 12.09.2011 at 18:01

What the deal with the "Mikael warned us after all" I'm sick of hearing this phrase! I think it's a smart way to sell their new weird record.

Shut up, you lame, childish hater!!!!111one

EDIT: Dont take this seriously, Malaikat
12.09.2011 - 18:18
JD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 12.09.2011 at 18:07

It's my opinion, you bitch, you just have to deal with. (har har har)
12.09.2011 - 18:22
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 12.09.2011 at 18:18

Written by Guest on 12.09.2011 at 18:07

It's my opinion, you bitch, you just have to deal with. (har har har)

Don't you har-har me!
12.09.2011 - 18:23
jadawal
album is great, although I found the drumming to be both less fine-tuned and more stale then opeth's previous albums, not just because of the loss of metal elements but there just not as complex as I would want it to be. still really good though, definatly an 8 or 9.
12.09.2011 - 18:26
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by jadawal on 12.09.2011 at 18:23

Your not funny fredd.

No.
12.09.2011 - 18:49
To everyone whining about this new ablum, keep in mind that's why opeth is awesome. Mikael has always done what he pleases and this is what keeps things interesting. Each Album has a somewhat different sound, but it still sounds like opeth. So this one is a little more proggy, so what we can't expect them to keep pumping out the same kind of material every album. It might not be as heavy as watershed was, but it still sounds like opeth doesn't it? I think it's pretty freaking sweet, and i admire Mikael for doing what the hell he wants and made a masterpiece here!
12.09.2011 - 18:51
Winterthrone
I'm not sure I like it yet. What disapoints me is that it sounds too much like Porcupine Tree with Akerfeldt's voice. The sound of Opeth was mixing Swedish Death Metal with Progressive rock, now they threw all the Death Metal elements away so I think they lost a great deal of their originality. They sound like any other 70's worshipping prog rock band which I think is really lame. The music in itself is good, it's just not Opethish enough.
12.09.2011 - 19:22
enumaelis
It is a boring album for me. Doesnt matter the name of the band on the cover, anyway I might give some more listenings, but after 2, doesnt convince me. And if I need 15 or a bottle of wine to enjoy it -as someone said some comments up here- :S I'd rather listen some other album XD
----
http://enumaelis.blogspot.com/
12.09.2011 - 19:42
opeth771
Written by Scuzzy McDouche on 12.09.2011 at 17:57

Have you all gone deaf or something? This album is brilliant, and although I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion, in MY opinion if you think this album is weak, you are out of your fucking mind. Granted, it took me a few listens as well, but now I can't stop. It is all I have listened to for a week now.

Anyway, I think their next album will be back to their prog-death sound. They have not quit being a metal band, they just like to experiment with different styles. Ghost Reveries came right after they did Damnation, and it is one of their hardest and darkest albums to date.

Opeth rules the fucking Earth, I don't care what anybody says.

Couldn't have said it better!
12.09.2011 - 20:10
MeloDeathViking
After hearing this album, I love it. I definitely think this album is the natural progression of what they did on Watershed. The growls may not be there, but the riffs are killer and I think this is some of the best vocal work they've ever had. I wish Damnation had been more like this, because this is how an Opeth album with only clean vocals should sound like.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
12.09.2011 - 20:13
Opethian
Ah! I can hold up for one more week! I have been a Huge fan for 6 years already and if theres one thing that Opeth does not do is disappoint

Hits total: 5229 | This month: 15