07. In The End
08. The Giant
09. Hymn 2
10. Judas Priest
11. Crawl
12. The Constant
13. Revolution Screams
14. New Noise [Refused cover] [bonus]

I contracted my first case of Anthrax in '87 when a friend started blaring "I'm The Man!" in his truck one night. Was hoping for the best on this album? and went back nearly 25 years for the inspiration for this review.

Hit play and sing along!

Now they're Anthrax and they take no shit
Over the last three years had eight vocalists
If the sound you hear is one you like
"Fight 'Em" stole "Gridlock"s riff like I stole your...
"Socks!"
Oh man, what's the matter with them?
Maybe they'll get it next time and mean it?

Charlie still beat the beats, the beats he beat
Although time and middle age maybe slowed his feet
The first three tracks are what we missed
But most of the album is just mediocre?
"Chair!"
Damn... unleash the beast!

They were on your case and in your face
now it's mostly just mid-paced
Speed up sucker, understand
Don't you know,

You're a thrash band! A thrash band!
Songs so "meh" they ain't worth a mention!
A thrash band!

Speed up!

Scott's got real def rhythms for these fresh new jams
But "Giant" "In The End" are just plain bland
I really dig these guys and don't want to hate
But after seven years, this ain't worth the
"Sleeping!"
Wait!

I drink the drinks, the drinks I drank
They've got my money in the bank
Belladonna's back tearing up the joint
His voice sounds sharp, he sings on
"Meaning!"
Point! Point! Watch the beat!

now it's modern stuff all mid-pace
It's decent metal, I understand
But don't you know,

Songs like "Crawl" don't command my attention!
A thrash band!

Speed up!

They're now a heavy metal band playing the modern way
They used to be different, but zombies are now cliche
At least Frankie Bello is back in the mix
Thundering on four strings while Rob shreds
"A sexual organ in the lower abdominal area!"
No man, it's SIX!

FASTER!

After the first three songs I wish it were harder
Too many tracks are just tempo-retarded
At least "Judas Priest" makes me feel the vapors*
at times kicks butt like
"Your face!"
An anal raper! Yo, watch the beat!

back in time had a raging pace
Speed up sucker, understand
Don't you know?

Playing your tunes once got me sent to detention!
A thrash band!

Speed up!

So as this review is winding down
former thrash royalty misplaced their crown
Sure we know it ain't '91
But we don't care, we just wanna have...
"A festival!"
A thrash album that lives up to the legacy of your earlier Belladonna-era albums, you stupid idiot!

Fight 'Em Devil You Know Earth On Hell
Show they still can play hard as ever
Too bad the rest aren't more "No Life 'Til Leather."

"This review is so bad it's a crime."

Final score: 6.66

* "Feel The Vapors" is a southern saying meaning to feel a bit woozy/light-headed, hot and flush? parts of that song made me want to break out a hand fan to cool off.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 15.09.2011 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Guest review by
Iron Nostarion
Rating:
Eight years have passed since Anthrax, the so-called "kings of mosh", last released a studio album. Although their heavy metal shift (from their thrash origins) wasn't causing much anticipation for this album at first, several announcements and the return of Joey Belladonna, as well as the online promotional release of the excellent track "Fight 'Em Til You Can't", caused this album to be one of the most anticipated metal albums of the year. A decent amount of people were expecting it to be a groundbreaking thrash metal album, including myself, and most others at least expected it to be a somehow solid release.

Read more ››
published 21.09.2011 | Comments (13)

Guest review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Let us get this out of the way immediately: yes, it's true, Worship Music only has about three thrash songs on it. Yes, "Fight 'Em 'Till You Can't" bears some striking similarities to "Gridlock" off of Persistence Of Time. Joey Belladonna is overdubbed a lot. Most of the album is slow or mid-paced. Essentially, this album is different. It is not the same Anthrax that Joey left In 1992. If you hit 'play' expecting to hear "Indians" or "Time," you will be sadly disappointed. However, on its own merits, Worship Music is a masterpiece.

Read more ››
published 24.12.2011 | Comments (51)

Guest review by
s7mon
Rating:
"At last!" one might shout being finally able to lay hands on the newest Anthrax effort, Worship Music. Eight long years we waited for some new material. Well, alright, new material released officially on CD. It's easy to assume that the role of this album - apart from bringing some good music of course - was to prove that Anthrax didn't vanish and are still here to remind the youngsters what thrashing is all about. Did they manage to do it? Well...

Read more ››
published 01.02.2012 | Comments (2)

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 60   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 631 users
15.09.2011 - 23:40
Rating: 9
Andreas666

In spite of your review style (awesome) I do not agree with the whole concept. for me it's a 9.0
15.09.2011 - 23:58
Mattybu

Damn, that shit was dope!
16.09.2011 - 00:21
Rating: 8
Kingface

Written by Baz Anderson on 15.09.2011 at 12:58

Brilliant and accurate review!

I concur!
16.09.2011 - 02:00
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
Dammit.
This is my biggest letdown even though I hadn't even owned this album yet.
Why does the album with the most song I've digged from a Big 4 band in the whole modern era and the sweet cover and the high anticipation turn out to be like this?! At least we've had "Existo Vulgore" to warn us of the future when IDI was released by MA. T_T

I'll still buy it. I hope I like it.
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death
16.09.2011 - 02:20
Edmund Fogg

Well probably the most original review i've seen on this site.And a very acurate one too. After one listen I knew something was wrong with the album. It kinda made me think of Megadeth's The system has fell: Big intro great heavy headbanging opener and big modern squishy rock disapointment afterwards. They even cut their punk roots that made them stand out. On a different note, I think sing along reviews should be a new section on this site. It deffinetly gets the point throught in a comic fashion without the fanboys weeping.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
16.09.2011 - 02:51
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Iron Nostarion on 16.09.2011 at 02:00

Dammit.
Why does the album with the most song I've digged from a Big 4 band in the whole modern era and the sweet cover and the high anticipation turn out to be like this?! At least we've had "Existo Vulgore" to warn us of the future when IDI was released by MA. T_T

You mean you haven't heard it yet? If not, then how can you say it's a big letdown?
16.09.2011 - 03:52
godisdead

I think it deserves at least an 8.
16.09.2011 - 09:38
BloodFireDeath

You know after reading what you said in the shout box yesterday about this album gave me the idea youd give this album a sound thrashing. Excellent presentation too. This is something Ben Yahtzee Croshaw would do.
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder
16.09.2011 - 09:57
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Proud, I am.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
16.09.2011 - 10:04
Fat & Sassy!

My favorite part is when you stopped trying at

"A festival?
A thrash album that lives up to the legacy of your earlier Belladonna-era albums, you stupid idiot!"

I loled. xD

Written by Angelic Storm on 15.09.2011 at 12:23

Only a staff member could get away with writing a review in that style...

Nope! It's goofy, although clever AND expresses his opinion and describes the music pretty well. Why would it get turned down coming from anyone else? I've always looked as MS as being the cool and lenient English professor when it comes to reviews, not the stingy old-fashioned English Nazi that makes you write in cursive!
16.09.2011 - 10:32
Rating: 6
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
At some point there needed to be an outburst, that seemed the most fitting opportunity in the flow.

as for the style of the review, well, staff and official reviewers likely have more leeway simply because by the time one becomes an official reviewer they are 'veterans' of the review process. they've been through it and are comfortable with the process. guest reviewers are often ESL and even a 1-3-1 review can require a major overhaul of syntax and grammar to just be presentable.

hell, my own command of the language isn't any better now than it was four years ago. the big difference is i've written over 100 reviews, most following a standard format, so when a crazy idea hits, and synches up with the material to be reviewed, it's a pleasant opportunity to break the envelope/push the box/connectitude/(insert buzzword here). it took a long while before i had the confidence to try a different approach, and even then i make it a sparing exercise.

even then, if a guest reviewer submitted something like the above, with it being well thought out and something that worked, we'd take it. but would require the 90 day rule and would not encourage to make it a habit.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.09.2011 - 10:45
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by BitterCOld on 16.09.2011 at 10:32
as for the style of the review, well, staff and official reviewers likely have more leeway simply because by the time one becomes an official reviewer they are 'veterans' of the review process.

This was what I thought and basically all I was trying to say. lol Thanks for confirming that.
16.09.2011 - 11:05
Merchant of Doom

Best Anthrax video on YouTube at the moment...

17.09.2011 - 14:50
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.09.2011 at 02:51

Written by Iron Nostarion on 16.09.2011 at 02:00

Dammit.

You mean you haven't heard it yet? If not, then how can you say it's a big letdown?

It's complicated. xD
I feel let down when an album I thought would be awesome would get reviews and people saying it's boring, etc. etc.
But I'm still in hope I can forget that feeling when I buy it.
----
17.09.2011 - 15:44
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Iron Nostarion on 17.09.2011 at 14:50
It's complicated. xD
I feel let down when an album I thought would be awesome would get reviews and people saying it's boring, etc. etc.

Ah, I thought so... xD

You shouldn't let other's opinions of an album affect how you yourself view it. Besides, if you go to the actual thread for this album, (not the review thread) there's a lot of positive opinions of it, and I myself think it's great! I have seen a lot of praise given to the album... just not in this thread.
17.09.2011 - 21:20
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.09.2011 at 15:44

Written by Iron Nostarion on 17.09.2011 at 14:50
It's complicated. xD

Ah, I thought so... xD

You shouldn't let other's opinions of an album affect how you yourself view it. Besides, if you go to the actual thread for this album, (not the review thread) there's a lot of positive opinions of it, and I myself think it's great! I have seen a lot of praise given to the album... just not in this thread.

Lol, just bought it and listened to the tracks from first to last (haha, "Revolution Screams" had me think there was something wrong). The riffs and melodies are all great and awesome, though I wish they didn't push each song beyond five minutes - often - without much fun left in songs with great potential. I'm not a fan of the later era but I can say that this album is divided itself as much as the opinions are. First part is obviously groundbreaking, second part is okay with some great riffs, though.

I hope I can write a review because I feel like I need to.

Thank you for the advice by the way.
----
17.09.2011 - 22:25
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Iron Nostarion on 17.09.2011 at 21:20
Lol, just bought it and listened to the tracks from first to last (haha, "Revolution Screams" had me think there was something wrong). The riffs and melodies are all great and awesome, though I wish they didn't push each song beyond five minutes - often - without much fun left in songs with great potential. I'm not a fan of the later era but I can say that this album is divided itself as much as the opinions are. First part is obviously groundbreaking, second part is okay with some great riffs, though.

Hmm... I can't say any of the songs seemed overlong to me... I definitely agree about the album being diverse though, which is one of the reasons Im not surprised at all that it's divided opinion the way that it has. As for writing a review, you'll need to wait at least 3 months after the album's release before you can submit one.

And you're very welcome! hehe
18.09.2011 - 14:08
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.09.2011 at 22:25

Written by Iron Nostarion on 17.09.2011 at 21:20

Hmm... I can't say any of the songs seemed overlong to me... I definitely agree about the album being diverse though, which is one of the reasons Im not surprised at all that it's divided opinion the way that it has. As for writing a review, you'll need to wait at least 3 months after the album's release before you can submit one.

And you're very welcome! hehe

The three months rule applies only if a staff member hasn't already written a review.
----
18.09.2011 - 17:46
Zap
Written by Slayer666 on 15.09.2011 at 13:16

Great review dude, great job at finding a fresh way to write about a not-so-fresh, somewhat generic album.
20.09.2011 - 10:07
shafiq

Best review ever!
So, after umpteen years, 3 lead singers (Dan Nelson, FTR, was the best), the best thing to be said for an album is a reviewers review....
Mr/Ms BitterCOld, great stuff! Although 6.6 is a rather overly generous score
Anthrax, you now officially, 100% suck- documented as 'Morshitte Music'.
21.09.2011 - 04:50
Rating: 7
strade

Greatest review of all time.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
21.09.2011 - 07:09
Rating: 5
Whoblehwah

This review sums up my feelings for the album pretty well. The first 3 songs are awesome, then after that it just gets bland.
21.09.2011 - 09:42
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Whoblehwah on 21.09.2011 at 07:09

This review sums up my feelings for the album pretty well. The first 3 songs are awesome, then after that it just gets bland.

Which was also the case with "Stomp 442" - great 3 songs, then utter shit followed. It seems that Anthrax should release albums even less often. This way they would be able to make a decent album
21.09.2011 - 09:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Daniell on 21.09.2011 at 09:42

Written by Whoblehwah on 21.09.2011 at 07:09

Which was also the case with "Stomp 442" - great 3 songs, then utter shit followed. It seems that Anthrax should release albums even less often. This way they would be able to make a decent album

Problem is that then they'll choose the wrong songs for it
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.09.2011 - 19:50
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Weeeee over 4000 hits. hooray.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
22.09.2011 - 19:56
BloodTears
ANA-thema
You are the master!

On topic: never really cared much about Anthrax, not starting now. Good? Fine.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
18.11.2011 - 04:58
sepulkisser

Fuck the haters.... ANTHRAX STILL LIVES!!!
18.11.2011 - 11:27
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by sepulkisser on 18.11.2011 at 04:58

Your name intrigues me.

I wonder what would happen if you replaced "sepul" with "ass".
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
19.11.2011 - 06:35
sepulkisser

Written by vezzy on 18.11.2011 at 11:27

Written by sepulkisser on 18.11.2011 at 04:58

Your name intrigues me.

I wonder what would happen if you replaced "sepul" with "ass".

Simple answer... the result of that would be: "VezzyRabblehead"
19.11.2011 - 11:48
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by sepulkisser on 19.11.2011 at 06:35

Simple answer... the result of that would be: "VezzyRabblehead"

That isn't my actual name, you know.

Like those guys who change their alias every month. All the noobs refer to them by their current alias, but everyone else knows what their (user)name really is.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.

Hits total: 12256 | This month: 13