04. Roboturner
05. All Bodies
06. Mordecai
07. Alaska
08. Metal Injection [interview]
09. Mordecai [video]
10. Alaska [video]
11. Slumber Party [feat. Giles] [video]

I was attracted by this Cd mainly because the great cover art, has a very "artsy" feel to it, to be honest I wasn't sure what kind of music Between The Buried And Me played, and I didn't want to read any review of the album, so when this arrived, the outcome would be a total surprise.

The Cd arrived, the cover art looked better on the booklet than it looked over the web, I opened the case and pushed the power button on my record player.
The album started, and when it did one thing took control over my being, an inexorable feeling of chaos possessed me as I listened the first songs of this album.
And that's how this can be described, chaotic. Changes are so drastic that they don't let any part to develop quite well, because immediately another is one top. Musically is like hearing Grindcore with modern riffing, weird is it.

But wait, things changed drastically, track four "Mordecai" turn things over with some clean singing and more mellower parts, then "Reaction" sets the mood (in a Opeth-like songwriting) to the nice acoustical song "(Shevanel Take 2)", the clean singing here is remarkable.

Then, after the 3 song lapsus, things get back where they started, the chaos, the confusion, disorder, total pandemonium.
Nice arrangements from time to time, would be nice to hear some more clean singing though, because that was one of the best parts of the Cd, call me a pansy if you want, but this time around I prefer they clean singing rather than their Death approach.

Brutal Metalcore with genius moments, sadly, those are only moments and not the entire disc, for those who like a higher dose of aggression and chaos in their record player, get this one, and don't forget to check "Destructo Spin" their best non-clean singed tune.

Written by Undercraft | 04.06.2004

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 123 users
04.10.2006 - 23:37
RazorOfTheLight
Account deleted
It may just be for the time being but I prefer Alaska. Nonetheless, this is actually a band of suprise after growing unexplainably tired of hearing uninspirational hardcore. The result of this project is avangarde hardcore with some progressive influences (the slow parts which really make this music something else)

Most hardcore fans will prefer this CD over the others although Alaska has far more depth. If your like me and dont put much faith in this misguided hardcore flux, then listen to Alaska.

Good Songs From Silent Circus - Mordecai, Ad A Dglgmut.
Good Songs From Alaska - Selkies: The Endless Obsession, Backwards Marathon, And The Oprimer.
05.10.2006 - 01:24
Rating: 8
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
These guys are one of the more inspired metalcore bands today. I think I might prefer Alaska, but this album is still good.
10.04.2009 - 06:47
AngelOfDisease

Written by Dangerboner on 05.10.2006 at 01:24

These guys are one of the more inspired metalcore bands today. I think I might prefer Alaska, but this album is still good.

I totally agree!
15.12.2010 - 23:28
opeth771

Mordecai is awesome
24.05.2011 - 15:27
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Mordecai is the hunter in borderlands...
24.09.2011 - 23:44
Rating: 9
Regolith

An awesome album. I'd listen to this over 'Misdirect' any day of the week. One element that takes away from this album (that isn't the bands fault) is the recording quality. Other than that this album is killer, start to finish.
28.06.2013 - 17:14
johnniepop

Does someone know something more about the hidden song in the last 'The Need For Repetition' track? It sounds like some twisted humorous experiment but still is kindda awesome

Hits total: 8087 | This month: 12