05. Nepenthe
06. Häxprocess
07. Famine
08. The Lines In My Hand
09. Folklore
10. Marrow Of The Earth
11. Pyre [DVD bonus]
12. Face In The Snow [DVD bonus]

The general consensus when a great band dares to move away from their original Death Metal sound is usually not positive. However Opeth have done it before masterfully with Damnation in 2003. They are back at it with one of the year's most anticipated albums, Heritage.

Cutting to the chase: Compared to their previous releases, Heritage lacks character. Despite the song structures being very progressive rock and the vocals being crazy good, the absence of catchy guitar riffs or memorable growls is a downer. One can positively recognize Opeth as the artist, especially since a lot of the songs borrow tidbits straight from the Ghost Reveries period. Certainly they manage to perpetuate a dark atmosphere throughout the album, but the mellowness of the whole thing is borderline irritating to someone expecting their trademark sound. I know we have been forewarned by Mikael Åkerfeldt himself about this being a throwback kind of release. Still, I believe this would be either catchier or more aggressive. Nevertheless the album does feature good moments, mostly from the jazz-infused portions of the songs.

Most of the vocal work by Mikael is spot on and even more breathtaking than ever before. And yes, we are talking about clean vocals only, which is unfortunate. Technically there is nothing to complain about, musicianship is at an all-time high. But when your band has members or former members of Bloodbath and Arch Enemy, listeners are bound to expect a little ferociousness whether in the form of harsh vocals or hell-spawn guitar riffs.

This is undeniably the one album that will have fans divided. On its own it is a great 70s-inspired throwback progressive rock album. Assessed as part of Opeth discography it fails to win me over completely. It is grand if you are into progressive rock and the band need to be applauded for the effort and guts to do something like this at this stage of their career. But ultimately the dearth of grabbing melodies endures as the downfall of Heritage.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written on 20.09.2011 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Guest review by
SauradipGhosh
Rating:
Heritage poses more questions than answers. Have Opeth reached a creative cul-de-sac? Have they chucked their "Extreme Progressive Death Metal" for good? Have they finally shed their "Underground Garage Band" (I am quoting Akerfeldt from an earlier interview) and have ventured out into the Pantheon of the "mainstream" Gods from their hallowed underground temple so frequented by hordes of reverent worshipers?

Read more ››
published 29.05.2012 | Comments (32)

Comments page 4 / 5

Comments: 133   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 1182 users
28.09.2011 - 08:21
Rating: 7
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
elite
Written by Hammer Pie on 28.09.2011 at 08:04

Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.09.2011 at 04:49
All I know is some of their early works were pretty good, but everything they've done post-Blackwater Park has just made me apathetic towards them.

Sad but true. Some of what they've done post-Blackwater Park has been at the "pretty good" level, but none of it has the creative spark that they had for the first five albums.

Honestly, it all comes down to perspective (it's the only thing we have left). But whatever divine being laid it's hand on the shoulders of those in Opeth during the Morningrise recording sessions has left, for sure. But the sheer rush of adrenaline I got from that album still shows up in minuscule amounts for any new album of theirs, so I guess I'm happy? It's almost like a band that has affected you in a profound way (your parental musical influence) always somehow reminds you of the good ole' days, yet at the same time you are depressed because they have become afflicted with Alzheimer's and don't remember who you are let alone themselves... it is what it is.
28.09.2011 - 19:31
Rating: 6
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Introspekrieg on 28.09.2011 at 08:21
they have become afflicted with Alzheimer's

I think they changed it to Metallica Syndrome.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.09.2011 - 13:06
Rating: 8
afu
For me, it's all about the songs. If you are upset by a change of direction, you're projecting your own preconceived ideas into it. It's extremely obvious to me that this was a conscious decision to make an artistic statement and to break away from the past. The songs are well developed, well recorded, and pretty cool. I really dig it. I think it's better than Damnation.
30.09.2011 - 14:09
rekkuza-
Haha, saying that this album is better than Damnation really isn't saying much...
----
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it- Oscar Wilde
30.09.2011 - 17:46
The thing I find confusing is that people all say the contrast between heavy and soft sections is what makes Opeth good. Yet most of these people still like bands that only feature either only clean singing or only harsh vocals, why aren't Opeth allowed to release an album which just focuses on one vocal style?
30.09.2011 - 21:54
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by Tornado Of Souls on 30.09.2011 at 17:46

The thing I find confusing is that people all say the contrast between heavy and soft sections is what makes Opeth good. Yet most of these people still like bands that only feature either only clean singing or only harsh vocals, why aren't Opeth allowed to release an album which just focuses on one vocal style?

people like different bands for different reasons. not sure why that is hard to understand. with opeth, it might very well be the dichotomy or shift that is attractive to fans.

they are allowed to do whatever the fuck they want, and fans are allowed to react however the fuck they want to those choices.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.10.2011 - 03:42
Rating: 10
dr.death
ponderer again
This review sucks almost as hard as Troy Gallant's taste in music.
----
hai guys. i'm ponderer. back again. i just cannot quit this site. how pathetic am i?
01.10.2011 - 04:12
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
admin
Written by dr.death on 01.10.2011 at 03:42

if that review is causing you such analpain, perhaps you should mosey over to MA and read what they're saying. with any luck your nerdrage will cause cardiac arrest...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.10.2011 - 15:05
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by BitterCOld on 01.10.2011 at 04:12

if that review is causing you such analpain, perhaps you should mosey over to MA and read what they're saying. with any luck your nerdrage will cause cardiac arrest...

Hell must have frozen... I actually agree with some points from those reviews.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.10.2011 - 19:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff

Just admit it, you like me too much to stay away.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
02.10.2011 - 13:00
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.10.2011 at 19:37

Just admit it, you like me too much to stay away.

Well, sucks to be him then. I won't share you, babe.
----
Rod, let me love you.
02.10.2011 - 18:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.10.2011 at 13:00
Well, sucks to be him then. I won't share you, babe.

Aww, I knew I could count on your love.
----
02.10.2011 - 23:23
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
If someone, and I see shitloads of such someones, is outraged by the rating that this album got on MS, I suggest you head HERE to read about more serious disappointment.

And by the way, the more I listen to this album, the less I like it. It's non-linear song structures aren't ambitious, they don't unfurl their magnificence after numerous listens. What was the great strength of Opeth on albums like Still Life is now the band's greatest weakness - the songs are incongruous, random and fucking boring.
02.10.2011 - 23:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 02.10.2011 at 23:23

If someone, and I see shitloads of such someones, is outraged by the rating that this album got on MS, I suggest you head HERE to read about more serious disappointment.

And by the way, the more I listen to this album, the less I like it. It's non-linear song structures aren't ambitious, they don't unfurl their magnificence after numerous listens. What was the great strength of Opeth on albums like Still Life is now the band's greatest weakness - the songs are incongruous, random and fucking boring.

Reviews like that are the reason I've lost most of the respect I once had for CoC. They used to be a great review site but they've lost it in recent years, giving out tens to crap and low scores for genuinely good stuff.
02.10.2011 - 23:30
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
But Heritage isn't good stuff...
02.10.2011 - 23:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
And neither is it particularly bad stuff, nowhere near anything remotely bad. I probably won't go back to the album but a 4 is a disingenuously low score for solid piece of prog from the disappointed, the anti-prog and the bandwagon jumpers. Even myself who isn't into the genre can recognise the upsides of the album. Heritage is just as "boring" as much of the heralded doom, thrash and black thrown around these days, they just fall under a totally difference purview.

Of course that review is from the person that gave the recent MA a 2, so shows his professionalism. I think you should stop bating people though, they seem to have enough trouble digesting fair reviews like this without more fuel being added.
02.10.2011 - 23:53
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
Written by Guest on 02.10.2011 at 23:33

And neither is it particularly bad stuff, nowhere near anything remotely bad. I probably won't go back to the album but a 4 is a disingenuously low score for solid piece of prog from the disappointed, the anti-prog and the bandwagon jumpers. Even myself who isn't into the genre can recognise the upsides of the album. Heritage is just as "boring" as much of the heralded doom, thrash and black thrown around these days, they just fall under a totally difference purview.

Here I agree. It definitely doesn't deserve a 4. After all it's well played and some songs are good, so anywhere between 6 and 7 is justified.

I think you should stop bating people though, they seem to have enough trouble digesting fair reviews like this without more fuel being added.

Actually, what I meant was to say that MS isn't as harsh on this album as some other sites. Talk about hell being paved with good intentions
03.10.2011 - 00:01
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff

I think you should stop bating people though, they seem to have enough trouble digesting fair reviews like this without more fuel being added.

Totally, I mean...
----
Rod, let me love you.
03.10.2011 - 00:05
Daniell
_爱情_
elite
I prefer this one

03.10.2011 - 00:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
a 4 is a disingenuously low score for solid piece of prog...the anti-prog...

I suppose I'm anti-prog...which is probably why I gave this a 4. I'm not anti-prog on purpose, and I don't check any prog out because I know I won't like it, but I had to look into this because I've heard everything else they've done, otherwise I would've simply overlooked it. Prog is just one genre I'll never get into.
----
03.10.2011 - 00:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Daniell on 03.10.2011 at 00:05

That's awesome.
----
03.10.2011 - 09:23
JCJen7
Ok, so I ordered the $55 tickets to an Opeth concert that is in about 2 weeks. It said it came with a signed copy of Heritage. I assumed that I would pick up the signed copy at the show, but then the CD randomly showed up at my house a couple days ago, with no signature. Anyone know anyting about how I am supposed to get the signatures that I paid a pretty penny for?
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
03.10.2011 - 09:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by JCJen7 on 03.10.2011 at 09:23
Anyone know anyting about how I am supposed to get the signatures that I paid a pretty penny for?

Take it to the band members and demand one!
----
04.10.2011 - 22:55
dr.death
ponderer again
Fans of this cd really need to check out the dvd with the 5.1 digital track on a good home theater. All kinds of goodness going on there.
----
hai guys. i'm ponderer. back again. i just cannot quit this site. how pathetic am i?
06.10.2011 - 10:37
Hammer Pie
Written by dr.death on 04.10.2011 at 22:55

Fans of this cd really need to check out the dvd with the 5.1 digital track on a good home theater. All kinds of goodness going on there.

Oh, is that where all the goodness went?

HEE HAW!
06.10.2011 - 19:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Hammer Pie on 06.10.2011 at 10:37
HEE HAW!

My thoughts exactly.
And the donkey thing too.
----
06.10.2011 - 23:03
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Hammer Pie on 06.10.2011 at 10:37

Written by dr.death on 04.10.2011 at 22:55

HEE HAW!

You won this thread man. Nice one.
----
Rod, let me love you.
07.10.2011 - 17:17
dr.death
ponderer again
Thanks! Your 3rd grade level opinions mean so much to me.
----
07.10.2011 - 19:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by dr.death on 07.10.2011 at 17:17
Thanks! Your 3rd grade level opinions mean so much to me.

And your childish retorts mean so much to us.
----
07.10.2011 - 22:08
boo-boo
There's not much I have to say about this album that hasn't been said already, but anyway - it is nothing I could have expected. For the good, and for the bad.

I cannot even make an opinion, for it sounds like a completely new, different group. They have not lost their sound or style, but most of everything else. There is no album in their previous discography to compare Heritage with, that's how I felt. I don't say it's bad,. I just say I can't imagine returning to it once again.
----
World won't end today - it's already tomorrow in Australia.

Hits total: 25736 | This month: 32