02. Build Me Up, Break Me Down
03. Lost Not Forgotten
04. This Is The Life
05. Bridges In The Sky
06. Outcry
07. Far From Heaven
08. Breaking All Illusions
09. Beneath The Surface

It seems that something like that must have happened eventually. Mike Portnoy is gone, and A Dramatic Turn of Events is the first occasion for the metal community to find out how Dream Theater fares without their co-founder and co-leader. Let me tell you straight away that it sucks. It sucks much more than I feared it would having heard the first song off the album, whose name I won't even bother to mention. Why would I want to waste time typing names of crappy songs?

I will save a lot of time this way at least. Not having to type seven names of songs saves a lot of typing time, which I can otherwise spend picking my nose and admiring the yield that came form my private excavation. It'll be also more interesting than the dubious pleasure I was privy to while I was giving the album my mandatory 10 listens. I'm a coffee guy, so caffeine always manages to keep me awake. If it hadn't been for this legal drug, I'd never have finished listening to this turd of an album.

During the ordeal of listening to A Dramatic Turn of Events I pricked up my ears only twice. "Lost Not Forgotten" is half-decent, and its chorus has some bite in it, making the song at least memorable. "Breaking All Illusions" is the only trace of Dream Theater's former glory - adventurous, intriguing, surprising, with a great, well-composed, labyrinthine guitar solo. The only really outstanding song, the only pearl among swine.

The rest of the songs are a gray mass containing craploads of forced, uninspired instrumental wankery, multiple showoff passages, incredibly drawn out fragments, boring singing and flat, lifeless choruses. Sometimes the songs are sickeningly sweet and reek of badly disguised desire for radio exposure, sometimes they are overly complicated, but put together using unmatched parts, resulting in a bigger mess than my 3-year-old niece would make if I left her in the kitchen for 2 hours. All the inspiration that Dream Theater had this time around went into 2 songs. And what the hell is wrong with Jordan Rudess? He crammed his damn keyboard passages into every nook and cranny he could find in every song, and when there was no room to cram, he put the goddamn thing on top. The omnipresence of his instrument is extremely annoying and makes the album even worse. I know he is a virtuoso, but must he prove it five times per minute?

Come back Mike, please.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 21.09.2011 by Writes overly honest and totally subjective reviews when fancy strikes him. Which is not often. Which is probably good, all things considered.

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
There is no denying Dream Theater has been an enormous influence on progressive music for the last two decades. Every new release of theirs usually generates a buzz among fans and media alike. But since founding member, natural leader and revered drummer Mike Portnoy left the band unceremoniously last year, the free press the band is getting has been off the charts. After an overly publicized series of auditions whence drumming instructor Mike Mangini came triumphant, expectations were at an expected all-time high. A lot of doubts and uncertainties were lingering in the air. So what? You ask. Well, it all depends who's giving you the answer. Reviews have been split across the internet spectrum. But since you're stuck with me, here are my thoughts.

Read more ››
published 02.11.2011 | Comments (28)

Guest review by
Roman Doez
Rating:
Dream Theater is my favorite band. They've been for a while now. However, a lot of people classify their music as mindless wankery and dislike them because of that, and while it's true that their 2000's releases to some extent fall in that category, for a long time I never really could understand what made that so unappealing to some. However, after hearing this album, I instantly knew what they meant. Following the pretty good Black Clouds And Silver Linings, which was a huge step up from the very mixed Systematic Chaos and Octavarium, it seemed like everything was going great again for Dream Theater. However, the departure of founding member Mike Portnoy left them in quite a weird spot; he had been one of the lead writers for two decades and was one of the pillars behind their success. The band now had to prove themselves capable of writing great stuff without him, using their new drummer Mike Mangini. And I'm gonna be honest, they did anything but succeed.

Read more ››
published 29.12.2020 | Comments (52)

Comments page 4 / 7

Comments: 186   Visited by: 944 users
23.09.2011 - 02:13
Rating: 9
jhook
Written by malaikat on 23.09.2011 at 00:33

Written by arto adnan on 23.09.2011 at 00:09

For an honest review, visit http://www.rich-wilson.com/news-blog/

Sorry, but that review is the written equivalent of orally pleasing each and every member of DT.

With a bukkake on top.

And the reviewer likes it.

yeah.. i loved the album and even i thought that review just sounded like a bunch of ass-kissing
23.09.2011 - 03:31
Rating: 8
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
I like this album more than the latest
----
Stay Metal !!!
23.09.2011 - 04:28
Rating: 8
jmz
Written by malaikat on 23.09.2011 at 00:21

Written by jmz on 22.09.2011 at 16:59

alright mate.

i'm not claiming the new album is up there with those top ones, and it doesn't have anything to do with Berklee or their musicianship that i don't agree with the rating. well, probably it's just the end of the article that made me sick.

so, just my personal idea this is worth more than 5.8
not trying to change anyone's mind here but just share an idea if there's someone wanting to give it a try.

Why are you getting aggresive? Did you even read my post past your fanboy blindness?

You said that DT never gets high rating here on MS. I proved you wrong, naming three (3) albums that have a very high rating. In other words: you tried to imply that, somehow, poeple at MS hate DT and deliberatly downrate their albums - I just pointed out that they do recieve high rating when the albums are actually good. When they release album this mediocre, the rating will be mediocre. End of story.

Moving on. Next you said that here on MS we hate "the >6 minutes songs", which is totally not true, for the reasons I explained in my previous post, which I'll not write again.

In short: lrn2read. I mean, you said something, I replied to one specific thing you said (ok, two things), and then you quoted me back and started talking about something entirely else. I did not offend your oppinion or your taste, I just pointed out that you are simply not right concerning those 2 things we just disscused.
The point of my post was showing you that:
1) DT has some pretty high ratings, despite your paranoia;
2) MS is a site that actually cherishes prog, experimental and other ">6 minutes songs" metal music.

Nothing more, nothing less. I understand you're a DT fanboy (you rated almost every single DT album with 9 or 10), but be more realistic and less agressive, will you?

oh man, excuse my English then if it makes you feel i'm aggressive because i didn't mean to. it's my 2nd language.

i had nothing against you on the scores of the past albums as all the fans of this band all over the world know it's their best so far, they are my top favorites too. and ok, you told me i'm wrong to imply MS guys don't like >6 minutes songs from your experience then i got it and nothing against them or you.

whatever you're feeling towards me it's your choice and i'm not here to attack MS or you. in the end i just say it's my "personal" feeling that this album is not too bad (and that doesn't mean it deserves 9 or 10). i come here as a friend who shares the same passion to heavy music, and my point is not going to attack or being aggressive to whoever.
23.09.2011 - 04:54
JCJen7
Can everyone just calm down? Can't we all just be friends?

People who don't like the review...state why in a fashionable manner. That is your right.
People who don't like the album...state why in a fashionable manner. That is your right.
People who did like the review...state why in a fashionable manner. That is your right.
People who did like the album...state why in a fashionable manner. That is your right.

Just remember it is also everyone else's right here to disagree with you.

I thought the album was decent, although in small doses, I am quite fond of some useless wanking from time to time.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
23.09.2011 - 06:13
jhook
Written by JCJen7 on 23.09.2011 at 04:54

People who don't like the review...state why in a fashionable manner. That is your right.
People who don't like the album...state why in a fashionable manner. That is your right.
People who did like the review...state why in a fashionable manner. That is your right.
People who did like the album...state why in a fashionable manner. That is your right.

I thought the album was decent, although in small doses, I am quite fond of some useless wanking from time to time.

no... we can't. its a music review site, if you dont insult everyones opinions and say your dicks bigger than everyone elses then you dont belong
23.09.2011 - 06:57
Rating: 6
Evil Chip
The album is Breaking all Illusions for me, the rest is kinda meh.
23.09.2011 - 07:03
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Usually when I listen to a Dream Theater album, I get completely blown away by it...A Dramatic Turn Of Events did not do this for me...I have listened to it a lot and can't really take anything memorable off of it...there are a lot of things (like the second song) that sound like it could be on James Labrie's solo album...you know, that electronically-tinged poppish progressive metal that puts out every once in awhile...it is a very strong release, but a lot of it seems forced...a lot of it seems as if it is there just to be there...and yes, I agree with the Rudess thing...there just to be there...I think he might have more freedom after Portnoy is gone? Maybe that's just the thing...they all have more freedom after Portnoy is gone...there are more bass licks that you can hear a lot more clearly...Myung shines a bit more on this album...there were a lot of cheesy passages that I couldn't stand at all...those 6/8 ballade passages that make me want to vomit...I dunno, it was a very full and detailed album...but yeah, wankery is what you're going to get on a DT album...but like its been said many times and many ways, a lot of wankery but nothing to catch the ears with the wankery...I'd personally give this album a bit more than a 5.8 but nothing more than a 7.5...its just an average Dream Theater album...they need to find themselves now that they don't have Portnoy...who knows? Maybe the Dream Theater voice without Portnoy will come on the next album...you all just have to wait and see, ok?
23.09.2011 - 07:38
JCJen7
Written by jhook on 23.09.2011 at 06:13

Written by JCJen7 on 23.09.2011 at 04:54

no... we can't. its a music review site, if you dont insult everyones opinions and say your dicks bigger than everyone elses then you dont belong

Well, lets see how long you last 'fore the 'hammer gets ya!
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
23.09.2011 - 08:18
Rating: 5
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by jhook on 23.09.2011 at 02:09

Written by Guest on 22.09.2011 at 21:18

I get the impression that the guys from DT have become victims of their own work ethic. I mean this is their 6th studio album in the last decade, right? Add to that touring after each record, some 5 or six lives/DVDs in that period, and all of those guest work for other bands and side-projects. They're bound to run out of ideas, and and fill the gap with emotionless instrumental proficiency. I feel that they need to take a longer break between albums, to get some creative ideas again.

I personally fell a certain "saturation" ( is that the right term? ) with Dream Theater realeases.

hmm, well i actually read in an interview with the band that they actually had too many creative ideas and the problem was sorting through them to make an album

Or so they said.
Reviews are widely known to be a comprehensible, 100% honest sources of information about what goes on inside bands.
Try to spot a splash of sarcasm hidden somewhere in this post.
23.09.2011 - 08:30
ToMegaTherion
It is cartainly a very average album, though 5.8 is a little harsh. I thought it was ok, but it was just so generic. I may have given it 6.5, but 5.8 is not an unfair score, it is a very disappointing album for such an outstanding band.
23.09.2011 - 10:37
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
5.8 implies completely average. I think reviewers should be more courageous in giving truly bad albums truly bad ratings. I know that the review matters more than the rating, but the fact that a lot of albums that are declared to be crap (and are crap) are given 5.something (sometimes even 6.something) ratings has caught my eye.
23.09.2011 - 11:10
malaikat
Written by jmz on 23.09.2011 at 04:28

oh man, excuse my English then if it makes you feel i'm aggressive because i didn't mean to. it's my 2nd language.

i had nothing against you on the scores of the past albums as all the fans of this band all over the world know it's their best so far, they are my top favorites too. and ok, you told me i'm wrong to imply MS guys don't like >6 minutes songs from your experience then i got it and nothing against them or you.

whatever you're feeling towards me it's your choice and i'm not here to attack MS or you. in the end i just say it's my "personal" feeling that this album is not too bad (and that doesn't mean it deserves 9 or 10). i come here as a friend who shares the same passion to heavy music, and my point is not going to attack or being aggressive to whoever.

Ok then, no hard feelings - I'm sorry for my senseless agressivenes
23.09.2011 - 12:05
Mohamads7
I believe we should pay attention to both bad and good points of this album it is not fair to speak like this.
We are waiting for the next album to see what " Mike Mangini" is going to do.
23.09.2011 - 12:27
Lol @ begging for Portnoy to come back. Portnoy fanboys are a funny lot, feel the burn
23.09.2011 - 12:40
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
What I mean by wanting Mike Portnoy to come back is that the first album after his departure is DT's worst release. Which in my opinion shows how important he was to the band. But let's wait for another new album which should be out in about 3 years. If it's great, we will know that Portnoy's influence wasn't so big after all, and "A Dramatic Turd of Events" was just a singular thing.

Any typos that I made in this post are intentional
23.09.2011 - 13:09
Black Clouds and Systematic Chaos are are by far the worst Dream Theater albums. ADTOE is a huge step up from those 2 albums.
23.09.2011 - 13:16
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Doc G. on 22.09.2011 at 18:41
People care a lot because the staff have the front page, therefore our voices are louder and our e-cocks are bigger. Maybe it's some sort of inferiority thing that makes people obnoxiously combatant against reviews that differ from their opinion. Most of the people trying to "prove the reviewer wrong" use the words "professionalism", "bias", and "unobjective" quite a bit. You'll notice negativity is held to a much higher standard.

(this rant does not apply to those who respectfully disagree with the review and are well spoken enough to express their disagreement with the review, rather than make some limp-dicked attempt at discrediting the reviewer.)

I think some people simply cannot accept that all reviews (whether made by staff members or not) are at the end of the day, merely one person's opinion of an album. The thing that's ironic, is these people don't seem to realise that by taking a review so much to heart, and making it personal, is that they are themselves elevating the review as above being merely an opinion, to more like a defining, indisputable view of the album. So by making such a big deal out of a review, they are by default, giving it a level of importance and credibility that they are ironically trying to discredit.

I have still as yet to hear the album, so I can't say whether I agree or disagree with the review or not. But in any case, the reviewer is entitled to their opinion, whether or not I agree with it. Only on rare ocassions such as Ultraboris' infamous 0/100 review of "Master Of Puppets", would I agree that the reviewer is fair game for attack.
23.09.2011 - 13:31
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by KarloJelincic on 23.09.2011 at 13:09

Black Clouds and Systematic Chaos are are by far the worst Dream Theater albums. ADTOE is a huge step up from those 2 albums.

You forgot to add that it's YOUR opinion. Which I respectfully accept, and expect the same in return when I present mine.
23.09.2011 - 13:50
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by Daniell on 23.09.2011 at 13:31

Written by KarloJelincic on 23.09.2011 at 13:09

You forgot to add that it's YOUR opinion. Which I respectfully accept, and expect the same in return when I present mine.

Likely he felt that that was implied in his claims, that it is HIS opinion. Sometimes, usually I think, people don't feel the need to make it clear that what they say/post is THEIR opinion, rather such is implied in making their statement. Though it is difficult to tell whether this is always the case, some just like to make claims simpliciter, thinking that whatever they say is correct.
23.09.2011 - 14:00
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
I agree, but seeing how many people whine about the rating of this album, I'm tempted to think that they don't realise that every review is just an opinion, not an absolute truth. Some people are butthurt when their favourite band gets a low rating. By the way, Dream Theater is among my favourite bands as well, but I won't overrate them because of that.
23.09.2011 - 15:22
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Yes but you forgot to mention the other category of whiners. Those who are always kowtowing to the staff and agree with pretty much everything that's flagged as "Official". Believe me I came across loads of suck-up comments as I was scrolling down to write mine. If you had given this album a perfect 10, some of those who supported the 5.8 rating would have definitely agreed with you. We should always remember that a staff member is a member and his/her opinion isn't any more or less important than an "ordinary" member. Bashing a scathing review just because you worship the band and sucking up to the staff member who reviewed it (even though you secretly disagree with him/her or have no idea what he/she's talking about given you haven't even listened to the album yet) is to me pretty much the same thing.

IMO this is an honest review and so is the rating but Daniell with all due respect, this is definitely not your best review. And I'm saying it because I read some of your reviews and I really liked them but this one doesn't quite live up to the others. I'm sure if the band in question were much less popular with a modest fanbase, the same review wouldn't have caused the chaos it has.
23.09.2011 - 15:38
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Prometheus on 22.09.2011 at 20:31

i ment that even if i dont like the album i would give 7 because i love this band .

Wow, that's just plain dumb. It means that you will just swallow what ever piece of junk a certain band releases no matter how bad it is... but just because it has their logo on the artwork.
That's just wrong.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.09.2011 - 15:58
Prometheus
Written by X-Ray Rod on 23.09.2011 at 15:38

Written by Prometheus on 22.09.2011 at 20:31

i ment that even if i dont like the album i would give 7 because i love this band .

Wow, that's just plain dumb. It means that you will just swallow what ever piece of junk a certain band releases no matter how bad it is... but just because it has their logo on the artwork.
That's just wrong.

i din't mean this i ment the care that you feel for certain albums of a band automatically increase the care of a bad album .
believe me if i listen to something just for the artwork i wont call myself metalhead
23.09.2011 - 16:25
Rating: 10
thehondo
Please Remember guys, reviews are based on opinions only! Yah..you know the saying, "Everybody has one...wether smelly or bleached". It may be previously conceived and based on expectations different from your own. I'm glad the majority of the world sees this as I do, a very good effort from a great band returning to their original ways.
----
No time like the present
23.09.2011 - 18:31
Rating: 3
Fleabag
Loved the review way more than the album. At least you can get comic relief after such a disappointing, irritating album.
23.09.2011 - 20:17
Rating: 7
bodomroy
Written by BitterCOld on 22.09.2011 at 19:45

Written by bodomroy on 22.09.2011 at 17:52

A review can´t be objective but points yes, it´s maths. 9+5+6+8 = 28 / 4 = 7. Reviewer hates jordan's keyboards and its presence, so i think performance and production can´t score 9 and 8. Doesn´t like singing too and it seems that only one guitar solo its well built so the review doesn´t follow the logic of the points.

the points argument... take a drink!

truth is overall score is not just those four factors taken into consideration.

you'll notice ENJOYMENT is not one of the four. a good reviewer should be able to differentiate from very skilled musicians capable of crafting a song from whether or not that song is actually enjoyable. Replay - is it the kind of album you'll actually want to listen to again?

there are a host of other factors that get taken into consideration beyond those four, and the final score is reflects OVERALL opinion.

With good songwriting, production and performance ENJOYMENT like you said it´s for sure!
I mean between 7 and 5.8 there´s a huge difference
23.09.2011 - 20:39
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Mindheist on 23.09.2011 at 15:22

Yes but you forgot to mention the other category of whiners. Those who are always kowtowing to the staff and agree with pretty much everything that's flagged as "Official". Believe me I came across loads of suck-up comments as I was scrolling down to write mine. If you had given this album a perfect 10, some of those who supported the 5.8 rating would have definitely agreed with you. We should always remember that a staff member is a member and his/her opinion isn't any more or less important than an "ordinary" member. Bashing a scathing review just because you worship the band and sucking up to the staff member who reviewed it (even though you secretly disagree with him/her or have no idea what he/she's talking about given you haven't even listened to the album yet) is to me pretty much the same thing.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't think there's an element of truth in that. I guess it's no different to the "wanting to fit in with the cool kids at school" phenomena. Some people are just "followers". People who will compromise their true beliefs and feelings in order to fit in, and be seen as "cool". I think it would be naive to think that there aren't some people who see staff member's opinions as carrying more weight, or having more "validity" than that of an "ordinary member", and so will agree with them "just because", rather than it being their genuine opinion. It's no different really, to readers of a mainstream publication like "Metal Hammer" blindly praising bands/albums purely because they are getting rave reviews and are "flavour of the month".

On a website like this, (and to a much greater extent Encyclopedia Metallum) it's the opposite way around. Bashing bands/albums (especially popular band's albums) because it's seen as the "true metal" thing to do, and agreeing with staff simply because they are staff probably also happens in that context. While Im sure it does happen though, it is definitely only a minority, at least on Metal Storm. No metal website will be completely free of those types of people, but overall, Metal Storm is the best forums for metal I've ever come across. With intelligent, measured debate being (well, mostly lol) the order of the day.
23.09.2011 - 21:19
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Whatever whoever might think, my reviews are 100% honest truth about the album in question. I do the reviews of my own volition, without any payment, for my own writing pleasure. Not being tied to any label or anyone who'd pay me for doing this, I'm free to write what I really think about an album, after giving it a big number of listens, that being at least 10 (with some exceptions). I don't seek attention, appreciation, or anything else that people seek on the internet. that's why you can't usually see me arguing vehemently with those who disagree with my reviews.
23.09.2011 - 21:38
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Daniell on 23.09.2011 at 21:19

Whatever whoever might think, my reviews are 100% honest truth about the album in question. I do the reviews of my own volition, without any payment, for my own writing pleasure. Not being tied to any label or anyone who'd pay me for doing this, I'm free to write what I really think about an album, after giving it a big number of listens, that being at least 10 (with some exceptions). I don't seek attention, appreciation, or anything else that people seek on the internet. that's why you can't usually see me arguing vehemently with those who disagree with my reviews.

I can't speak for the guy I quoted, but none of the comments I made in my last post were directed at anyone in particular. It was just a general observation that those attitudes exist. (people who allow other's opinions to shape, and affect their own just to fit in)
23.09.2011 - 23:35
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by Angelic Storm on 23.09.2011 at 20:39

On a website like this, (and to a much greater extent Encyclopedia Metallum) it's the opposite way around. Bashing bands/albums (especially popular band's albums) because it's seen as the "true metal" thing to do, and agreeing with staff simply because they are staff probably also happens in that context. While Im sure it does happen though, it is definitely only a minority, at least on Metal Storm. No metal website will be completely free of those types of people, but overall, Metal Storm is the best forums for metal I've ever come across. With intelligent, measured debate being (well, mostly lol) the order of the day.

I partially agree. Metal Storm is without a doubt among the crème de la crème metal websites I have chanced upon and it's far better than the so-called professional metal webzines and rock magazines working today. Only because, and as Daniell mentioned, here the staff as well as the members aren't paid to write reviews and praise bands. They just do it because they are driven by passion and love for metal (for the most part lol).

Now comes the part where I actually disagree with you. Whether we like it or not, our community is becoming less and less interested in conquering new territories, and by that I mean discovering and exposing unknown bands instead of roaming through the rusty classics or the big guns' deliveries. And it's going to inevitably affect the forums and the site as a whole. Here, Let's look at the statistics of the same reviewer:

Daniell has so far written 22 reviews: While Dream Theater's A Dramatic Turn Of Events has rolled up 119 comments (and still counting), Argus (a relatively unknown band but with a tremendous talent) has only collected 8 comments with Boldly Stride The Doomed (a record that blows Dream Theater's latest delivery out of the water). Let's face it, most people, and I'm not just talking about Metal Storm but all the metal webzines, rarely make an effort to read an entire review, be it official or non-official. They basically just read the first line from each paragraph and hurriedly leap to the comment box to post away. That being said, Metal Storm has many members (Staff and non-staff) who passionately read the reviews and always look for new bands to discover, and as opposed to you, I think they are the minority .

Hits total: 18571 | This month: 40