05. Night Train To Tokyo
06. Night Stalker
07. Fall Of Atlantis
08. Blood On The Pyramids
09. Demons And Diamonds
10. Dark Alien Overture
11. War Of The Worlds
12. Starman's Son

Flying Tigers is one of those albums that makes that proverb "don't judge a [CD] by its cover" seem annoyingly wise. I cognitive dissonanced the fuck out, trying to find merit in it, but there just isn't much to be found. At its very best it's a kind of fun and catchy homage to the NWOBHM bigs. And that's peachy. But most of the time, it's really just mediocre rip-off work. Most of it is as dull as its cover art is off-the-charts magnificently rad.

It does start off really well, though. "Fight To The Death" does what solid NWOBHM-venerating stuff needs to do. It makes me want to stand on furniture with a cape on and a replica sword to whoosh around in hand--I'll want to throw 20-sided dice at shit and masturbate furiously to LOTR Nazgul hentai. But ultimately no amount of fantasizing of saving the Milf Empress of Kalzamar! and all that other tremendous stuff will mask the fact that most of the other songs on Flying Tigers are weak. The number of solid riffs and catchy hooks are overshadowed by the number of ones that bore the hell out of me.

The dudes in White Wizzard aren't bad at what they do though; the vocal performance, for example, does some really solid, hammer to the anvil justice to the NWOBHM big dogs. The dude kind of wobbles between impersonating Rob Halford and Bruce Dickinson, which sounds like it'd just be boring old mimicry, but he does it well. If either men were dead, White Wizzard's vocalist would most likely be wandering around Vegas right now doing full-blown impersonations of them, Elvis-style. And he'd probably be one of the more successful ones too. The solos are pretty epic, and the bassist has some chops (and the production brings him pretty far up accordingly). But, again, most of the riffs here?most of which are pretty up-beat?make me yawn. And without the substantial shit, all the sweetener will just end up giving you headaches.

On top of that, the impression Flying Tigers leaves with me is that White Wizzard is concerned more with selling their image than they are with giving us memorable tunes. And even if that isn't the impression you end up getting from this, it's still the sort of Priest and Maiden worship that will force you to ask "why am I not listening to Maiden or Priest instead?"

Gets a few not too shabbies and a lot of meh from me.

Stand out tracks: "Fight To The Death", "Flying Tigers", and "Demons And Diamonds"

Written on 21.09.2011 by Wormdrink's real name is George and he's an American.

Comments

Comments: 14   Visited by: 277 users
22.09.2011 - 05:41
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Where can I find LOTR Nazgul hentai?
----
loves 小巫
24.09.2011 - 18:41
Slayer666

Written by Ag Fox on 22.09.2011 at 05:41

Where can I find LOTR Nazgul hentai?

^ This.

A giant lizard-like dragon thingy getting it on with a fleshless dude in a iron mask seems crazy hot.
24.09.2011 - 19:34
truenoacero

It's not a great album but it's a good traditional heavy metal album for this moment of "melodeath everywhere"
24.09.2011 - 21:37
Mattybu

Sadly, the WW boner is gone and I must agree with the reviewer here for the most part :C
24.09.2011 - 22:19
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
That cover artwork is pretty fucking sweet. Too bad the album ain't...
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
25.09.2011 - 07:16
Fat & Sassy!

JUST FOUND A NEW DESKTOP PICTURE FOR THIS MONTH.
25.09.2011 - 12:30
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
It's a shame the band is heavy metal, cause I think the artwork is superb! It reminds me somehow of the whole mega shark. vs other mega beast thingy, which appeals to me a lot. If this album was rated low with this cover and wasn't heavy, I'd gave it a try. Since it's not, I'm just gonna admire the cover
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
25.09.2011 - 14:59
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
Stand out tracks: what about Starchild? Awesome powerballad!

Nice record. It's 7 out of 10, cause it just feels good to listen to, and sometimes that's everything you need.
25.09.2011 - 18:18
RavenKing

I know it's a personal point of view but I just can't see the pertinence of new bands playing this kind of completely outdated standard metal in our day and age. It's way past its time.

I really don't see the purpose of going back 30 years in time and ripping off old bands, playing a style that has been out-talented by more specialized metal genres.
Come on, the 80s are over.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
26.09.2011 - 15:50
demacca

You genre whores don't get it!

The so-called modern metal, death, black, nu, rap, post, emo, scramo, pop-punk whatever you call it, will be considered as dated as grunge. Limited to their time and place in history, shunned as embarassing as disco or as cringe worthy as the macarena. This music IS HEAVY METAL, the other crap is just a by-product. This carries on the lineage from Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin, to Maiden and Priest, and beyond. It does not rip off those bands but finds inspiration in them...this is what all music does. You can continue to be a victim of the divide and conquer mentality of the magazines and scene kids, but I love this music.

This is what heavy metal sounds like, consider yourselves educated.
26.09.2011 - 17:38
Fat & Sassy!

Written by demacca on 26.09.2011 at 15:50

You genre whores don't get it!

The so-called modern metal, death, black, nu, rap, post, emo, scramo, pop-punk whatever you call it, will be considered as dated as grunge. Limited to their time and place in history, shunned as embarassing as disco or as cringe worthy as the macarena. This music IS HEAVY METAL, the other crap is just a by-product. This carries on the lineage from Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin, to Maiden and Priest, and beyond. It does not rip off those bands but finds inspiration in them...this is what all music does. You can continue to be a victim of the divide and conquer mentality of the magazines and scene kids, but I love this music.

This post reeks of a familiar stench... >_>
26.09.2011 - 18:57
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist

Definitely. I know when people ask me for heavy metal recommendations I skip all the Maidens and Priests and jump right to White Wizzard. You know, to educate them.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.09.2011 - 19:08
BudDa

.....but I love this music.

The rest was really unnecessary. We get it

I don't mind the blatant NWOBHM worship, George. But will check this out first
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
18.08.2012 - 00:04
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I don't even think the cover is anything special. And don't get me started on the music, or the insanely bad lyrics. This band probably will only last a few years more until the cash stops flowing. I'm okay with paying tribute to your idols but ripping Maiden and Priest off like this is not acceptable.

Hits total: 6616 | This month: 4