Disc III [limited boxset/jewel case edition bonus]
Instrumental demo tracks:
01. Intrauterin
02. Bliss
03. You Feel Like Memories
04. Eribo - I Collect The Stars
05. White Miasma

Additional info
Recorded in Homebase Studios in July 2010 by Conny Schattka, iheartsound, Bielefeld.
Music and lyrics by Herbst.
Produced by mk for Lupus Lounge Records.
Pictures by Herbst.
Artwork by Robert Jahns.

Guest review by
Slayer666
Rating:
Neige strikes again. Yes, the bloke from Alcest who apparently believes it's his sworn duty to make sure as many bands possible are working together towards achieving his vision (a perfect shoegaze/post-rock black metal album perchance?), is here too, but only handling the vocal duties and not contributing to the songwriting itself. If you expected Écailles De Lune number 2, you might be slightly disappointed.

Read more ››
published 30.01.2012 | Comments (6)

Found in 12 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 60   Visited by: 350 users
22.09.2011 - 17:15
Kenos
Account deleted
Pre-ordered the box-set.
22.09.2011 - 23:28
Rating: 9
InnerSelf
proofread free
What the hell is wrong with 2011 , overload of awesome metal
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
26.09.2011 - 20:02
Kenos
Account deleted
Listen to track "Bliss".

03.10.2011 - 22:16
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 26.09.2011 at 20:02

Listen to track "Bliss".

More Herbst less Neige (not that I dislike Neige in any sort of way) but it is nice to see that Herbst took control of the band again
----
is not bold enough
19.10.2011 - 15:02
Kenos
Account deleted
Shit, october 28 seems to never come.
26.10.2011 - 18:38
Kenos
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 03.10.2011 at 22:16

Written by Guest on 26.09.2011 at 20:02

Listen to track "Bliss".

More Herbst less Neige (not that I dislike Neige in any sort of way) but it is nice to see that Herbst took control of the band again

If you're interested, here's the full streaming of "Agape": http://www.inferno.fi/inferno-tarjoaa-kuuntele-uusi-lantlos-levy-6211/

So, there's no black metal, there's no "blackgaze"... So different from ".neon". This must be the weirdest album I've listened to this year.
26.10.2011 - 20:34
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 26.10.2011 at 18:38

If you're interested, here's the full streaming of "Agape": http://www.inferno.fi/inferno-tarjoaa-kuuntele-uusi-lantlos-levy-6211/

So, there's no black metal, there's no "blackgaze"... So different from ".neon". This must be the weirdest album I've listened to this year.

Thanks a lot man
----
is not bold enough
27.10.2011 - 19:16
InnerSelf
proofread free
The album is more than awesome, really it is just too good but .... it feels incomplete maybe because it is really short, a couple of more songs would have made this a 9+ album. Through this short running time there is a lot of variation and the Doom-ish parts are brilliant.
Hope this is the beginning of something great
----
is not bold enough
27.10.2011 - 21:11
Kenos
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 27.10.2011 at 19:16

The album is more than awesome, really it is just too good but .... it feels incomplete maybe because it is really short, a couple of more songs would have made this a 9+ album. Through this short running time there is a lot of variation and the Doom-ish parts are brilliant.
Hope this is the beginning of something great

I definitely agree with you. It's musically stunning and full of great ideas, but at the same time these qualities seem very shrunk and tight, like the man on that cover artwork, and... It just finishes too soon. Can't complain, though. After all I don't see it as a lack of ideas; instead it's more likely that Herbst wanted to build a minimal and cryptic concept.
One thing really struck me: the cover artwork. It's... The most wonderful cover I've ever seen. I can't take my eyes off it. I could stare at it for hours. I think it has a special meaning for me.

Btw, I'd give it a 8,5, but I will round it up with pleasure thanks to the artwork. Never underestimate its role: when imagery complements music, the latter becomes deeper and gains even more sense.

Now I eagerly wait for my boxset. I'm looking forward to reading the lyrics; besides, the idea of having a big poster flag of this album hanging in my room right next to the "Ecailles De Lune"'s is... Well, awe-inspiring.

EDIT: It grew, it grew a lot... Perfect album even in its shortness... I can't explain why I love it so much.
27.10.2011 - 21:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
A very good album, but I'm not entirely sure of how to explain why it's good. Obviously the doom-y atmosphere is a major factor, the strenuous screams, the effective pauses, the well-placed blastbeats and beautiful melodies.

It sounds like I think it's perfect but it isn't. As others have pointed out, the brevity seems to be more of a weakness than a strength (which isn't usually the case in my opinion) and the album doesn't entice me the way I expect from a mixture of post-rockish blackish shoegazeish atmospheric metal.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.10.2011 - 11:04
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 27.10.2011 at 21:11

I definitely agree with you. It's musically stunning and full of great ideas, but at the same time these qualities seem very shrunk and tight, like the man on that cover artwork, and... It just finishes too soon. Can't complain, though. After all I don't see it as a lack of ideas; instead it's more likely that Herbst wanted to build a minimal and cryptic concept.
One thing really struck me: the cover artwork. It's... The most wonderful cover I've ever seen. I can't take my eyes off it. I could stare at it for hours. I think it has a special meaning for me.

Btw, I'd give it a 8,5, but I will round it up with pleasure thanks to the artwork. Never underestimate its role: when imagery complements music, the latter becomes deeper and gains even more sense.

Now I eagerly wait for my boxset. I'm looking forward to reading the lyrics; besides, the idea of having a big poster flag of this album hanging in my room right next to the "Ecailles De Lune"'s is... Well, awe-inspiring.

Herbst is an artist, he seems to have some sort of a vision and he doesn't only write music for the sake of writing music and this is what makes Lantlos so special. and yes the cover artwork is great and perfectly fits the music
----
is not bold enough
06.11.2011 - 16:08
Kenos
Account deleted
After multiple listens I understood one thing: imo, this album blows away Alcest's entire discography (and I adore Alcest). No wonder if one day it'll become a milestone of "post-post-black metal".
06.11.2011 - 19:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Post-post-black metal? Hardly. It's black metal mixed with post-rock...not any more POST than that.

Great album regardless.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.11.2011 - 18:21
MechanisT
Account deleted
BEAST. And yes, I don't even remotely associate myself with black metal. The moody ambience worked in my favor, I guess.
14.11.2011 - 20:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 14.11.2011 at 18:21
BEAST. And yes, I don't even remotely associate myself with black metal. The moody ambience worked in my favor, I guess.

Which is probably why you like it a lot, since there's a huge post-rock factor involved.

Did you like the latest Fen for instance?
----
14.11.2011 - 21:00
MechanisT
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.11.2011 at 20:09

Written by Guest on 14.11.2011 at 18:21

Which is probably why you like it a lot, since there's a huge post-rock factor involved.

Did you like the latest Fen for instance?

Yes, absolutely. Fen too. Mighty fine album, that.
17.11.2011 - 20:53
Kenos
Account deleted
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Lantl%C3%B4s/Agape/316912/

So my question is: does Autothrall have a life? Does he hang out with friends? Does he fuck? Does he even go to the bathroom sometimes?
Because my impression, aside from the endless amount of reviews he's written (2918!!!), is that he keep listening to things he perfectly KNOWS he won't like, and then writes elaborated reviews.
It's not the fact that someone dislikes an album I adore; obviously and thankfully everyone has his/her own tastes. But I really don't get it: he wrote reviews of Deafheaven, Alcest, Lantlos, Wolves In The Throne Room, Old Silver Key, Svarti Loghin and many other post-black/shoegaze acts... I mean, if you hate a genre, then why do you keep listening to it and even force yourself to WRITE LONG REVIEWS?! For example, I know that melodeath isn't my cup of tea; sometimes it may happen that I listen to it (and not very carefully anyway), but I don't waste my time writing critical essays... It's kind of *silly*. If not masochistic.

Bah. I just... Don't get it. :|
17.11.2011 - 21:09
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 17.11.2011 at 20:53

Just think of all the kvlt points he's acquired in that time though.
----
18.11.2011 - 22:57
malaikat

http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Lantl%C3%B4s/Agape/316912/

So my question is: does Autothrall have a life? Does he hang out with friends? Does he fuck? Does he even go to the bathroom sometimes?
Because my impression, aside from the endless amount of reviews he's written (2918!!!), is that he keep listening to things he perfectly KNOWS he won't like, and then writes elaborated reviews.
It's not the fact that someone dislikes an album I adore; obviously and thankfully everyone has his/her own tastes. But I really don't get it: he wrote reviews of Deafheaven, Alcest, Lantlos, Wolves In The Throne Room, Old Silver Key, Svarti Loghin and many other post-black/shoegaze acts... I mean, if you hate a genre, then why do you keep listening to it and even force yourself to WRITE LONG REVIEWS?! For example, I know that melodeath isn't my cup of tea; sometimes it may happen that I listen to it (and not very carefully anyway), but I don't waste my time writing critical essays... It's kind of *silly*. If not masochistic.

From what I saw, dude hates pretty much every release that was published in more than 5 copies. Ergo, if the album is published by a real production label (and not by hand-to-hand, like all trve metallers do), and was recorded on real production equipment (and not on one pair of dictaphones), that's -50% from the beginning. The dude just desperately wants to show himself as uncompromised, kvlt underground metalhead.

Just leave him be, he will turn 15 eventually.
21.11.2011 - 00:03
Qube

I think the guy just like to write reviews. And review everything.
And why the hell not after all? Listening to stuff outside your comfort zone brings perspective and (sometimes) good surprises.
21.11.2011 - 00:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Qube on 21.11.2011 at 00:03
Listening to stuff outside your comfort zone brings perspectives and (sometimes) good surprises.

He is not listening to music to change his perspective. He's a troll reviewer.
----
21.11.2011 - 00:18
Qube

Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.11.2011 at 00:04

Listening to stuff outside your comfort zone brings perspectives and (sometimes) good surprises.

Well, I will not pretend to know what is in the guy's head or what his (apparently long) track record is.

Back to Agape, you compared it to Epoch. Would you consider it better? 'Cause Epoch bored me at times.
21.11.2011 - 00:19
Rating: 7
Milena
gloom cookie
Dudes, how's this? Should I listen to it, considering that I get quickly bored of Alcest? Is it similar?
----
7.0 means the album is good
21.11.2011 - 00:21
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Qube on 21.11.2011 at 00:18
Back to Agape, you compared it to Epoch. Would you consider it better? 'Cause Epoch bored me at times.

I didn't really compare it to Epoch, I just asked if Mech liked them both because they both mix post-rock and atmospheric black metal together. In spite of the similarities genre-wise, they sound a lot different. Epoch is very "soft", and kind of disjointed. Agape feels more serious in its approach, perhaps because the focus is more on creating a disturbing feel as opposed to a relaxing one.
----
21.11.2011 - 00:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Milena on 21.11.2011 at 00:19
Dudes, how's this? Should I listen to it, considering that I get quickly bored of Alcest? Is it similar?

Similar-ish. Similar enough to bore you most likely, based on what you've said about shoegaze/post-rock-influenced black metal bands.
----
21.11.2011 - 00:26
Rating: 7
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.11.2011 at 00:22

Written by Milena on 21.11.2011 at 00:19

Similar-ish. Similar enough to bore you most likely, based on what you've said about shoegaze/post-rock-influenced black metal bands.

Nah, I don't hate the genre, it quite fun for five listens, It just tends to bore me quickly, even more since I don't understand nor like the sound of French... (no offense Frenchies, personal preference). I was really happy to hear English on Old Silver key... and that's the only part of the album I like, unfortunately.
----
7.0 means the album is good
21.11.2011 - 00:27
Kenos
Account deleted

I think the guy just like to write reviews. And review everything.
And why the hell not after all? Listening to stuff outside your comfort zone brings perspective and (sometimes) good surprises.

I should clarify that I often read his reviews and I think he's damn good: he clearly loves writing. But in this case, once you've listened to something you don't like, and realized that it's a genre you're not going to like, why should you waste your time listening to it over and over again and even reviewing every fucking album that concerns it? That's not passion, but just showing off. I mean, you really don't have to point out to the whole world that you're provided with the best critical skills on earth.
... Whatever.
21.11.2011 - 00:29
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Milena on 21.11.2011 at 00:26
Nah, I don't hate the genre, it quite fun for five listens, It just tends to bore me quickly, even more since I don't understand nor like the sound of French... (no offense Frenchies, personal preference). I was really happy to hear English on Old Silver key... and that's the only part of the album I like, unfortunately.

Sometimes I feel like you have a neurotic sense of musical taste. Not liking an album due to language barrier, but only like one part of an album because you understand it. Seems rather odd to me. I mean, I love Shining, but I have no idea what Kvarforth is saying without Google translate.
----
21.11.2011 - 00:30
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.11.2011 at 00:04

So the only difference between him and let's say... the author of the latest Norther's review is that said author doesn't spend his time writing a lot of reviews from that genre?
Because if if that MA dude didn't write reviews from blackgaze at all and only did stuff from genres he enjoyed and only ocasionally some other stuff he wouldn't be a troll... right?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
21.11.2011 - 00:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 21.11.2011 at 00:30
So the only difference between him and let's say... the author of the latest Norther's review is that said author doesn't spend his time writing a lot of reviews from that genre?

The difference between him and that Norther guy is that he seems to have a clear sense of trying to achieve max kvlt status.
----

Hits total: 12530 | This month: 24