Metal Storm logo
Video Game Metal

23.09.2011 - 04:52
bj_waters

Alright, everybody. The purpose of this thread to celebrate the combination of video game music and heavy metal. If you find new stuff or just have stuff that you like, post it here! It doesn't matter if it's a remix/cover or part of an official sound track, just as long as it is NOT from Guitar Hero, Rock Band, or Brutal Legend (because that's cheating!). I'll start us off with a set of four!

"Two Shadows Appear" from Shadow of the Ninja by BrainCells. OCRemix has cool stuff in general.

"Battle Theme" from Final Fantasy 6 by The Black Mages. Entry level for video game metal, I know, but they belong here.

Now for some actual soundtrack material!

"The Irony of Chaste" from Guilty Gear Isuka by Daisuke Ishiwatari

"Battle 2" from the most metal soundtrack on the Super Nintendo: Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

This is only a handful from my selection. What do you guys like?
23.09.2011 - 09:35
Pazu

Nice thread.
Let's see what I can think of off the top of my head.

Some nice death metal from a game you wouldn't expect it to appear in:

And this song, I absolutely love, although it's really not that much metal:

They are both part of the respective official soundtracks.
13.10.2011 - 07:46
bj_waters

Listening to that Otherworld video totally threw me off!! You see, I'm only familiar with FFs 1, 4, and 6, so I had no idea that's how the song went in the original soundtrack. I was only used to the Black Mages version, which is as follows:

Well, for some more video game metal! Here's some Castlevania, a series that I'm sure we're going to come back to multiple times! This is "Bloody Hell" from Castlevania 2 by Ailsean.

Next, here's BrainCells again. This time it's "Scrambled Eggman" from Sonic 3.

Now here's a real interesting one. This is a metal cover of "Trainer Battle" from the first Pokemon games (Red/Blue/Yellow) by GaMetal. Check it out!

Let's get some more variety in here, guys!! It can't just be me posting!!
13.10.2011 - 10:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Ah Mystic Quest Legend, the black sheep of the Final Fantasy games. I really enjoyed it though (it was my first FF game after all) and it did have kick-ass music. And of course all the music from the Guilty Gear games is sweet.

Have to say I think The Black Mages are pretty bad though. Tacky music not fitting or worthy of the original games' majesty. Just thought I'd get that out there.
13.10.2011 - 10:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 13.10.2011 at 10:36
Have to say I think The Black Mages are pretty bad though. Tacky music not fitting or worthy of the original games' majesty.

I second that. I second that hard.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.10.2011 - 18:20
bj_waters

Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.10.2011 at 10:52

Written by Guest on 13.10.2011 at 10:36
Have to say I think The Black Mages are pretty bad though. Tacky music not fitting or worthy of the original games' majesty.

I second that. I second that hard.

That's . . . . . . . . interesting. I like them as interesting alternate versions of the original (and I totally love "Maybe I'm a Lion!"). The thing that strikes me odd about your statement is the fact that the Black Mages was formed by the original composer (Nobuo Uematsu does the keyboards/organs). I would think that the original writer would have some great ideas in re-arranging his own music. Uematsu also composed the soundtrack for Advent Children, which I thought was pretty awesome.
13.10.2011 - 21:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by bj_waters on 13.10.2011 at 18:20
Uematsu also composed the soundtrack for Advent Children, which I thought was pretty awesome.

I jizz my pants to the FFVII/FFVIII OSTs... But that's about it. I don't listen to video game music outside of those two "albums" really so I can't comment on what's good or bad or reference what sounds like what but all I know is that The Black Mages sound like a cheaper version of Powerglove.

And I hate Powerglove.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.10.2011 - 00:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by bj_waters on 13.10.2011 at 18:20

That's . . . . . . . . interesting. I like them as interesting alternate versions of the original (and I totally love "Maybe I'm a Lion!"). The thing that strikes me odd about your statement is the fact that the Black Mages was formed by the original composer (Nobuo Uematsu does the keyboards/organs). I would think that the original writer would have some great ideas in re-arranging his own music. Uematsu also composed the soundtrack for Advent Children, which I thought was pretty awesome.

The Advent Children soundtrack was much much better and more professional sounding than anything by The Black Mages (even if it didn't always work as a soundtrack it was great on its own).

Anyway, I'm just gonna go ahead and win the thread:

15.10.2011 - 00:11
bj_waters

Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.10.2011 at 21:53

I jizz my pants to the FFVII/FFVIII OSTs... But that's about it. I don't listen to video game music outside of those two "albums" really so I can't comment on what's good or bad or reference what sounds like what but all I know is that The Black Mages sound like a cheaper version of Powerglove.
And I hate Powerglove.

Okay, so no luck with those two. What do you think of the other stuff that's been posted in this thread?

Written by Guest on 14.10.2011 at 00:01

Anyway, I'm just gonna go ahead and win the thread:
(Youtube of awesome Baten Kaitos song)

NICE!
16.10.2011 - 12:46
DesolationJersey

This is great! They are also a fucking amazing band, have a great EP and are releasing a new album at the moment, I defiantly recommend them to fans of technical thrash and death metal.
----
THRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!
16.10.2011 - 14:15
IronAngel

I have to disagree with !J.O.O.E.! and Troy about The Black Mages. I like them. It's true that they lack the majesty and ambiance of the original soundtracks, and I think Joe was quite close to my opinion when he said "tacky." But I rather think of them as "camp", and that's always cool. It's like good sci-fi: nobody takes Stargate or Farscape quite too seriously, but they're still the best the genre has to offer.

I bought TBM II: Darkness and Starlight when I was in Tokyo some years ago. I still enjoy it, but I must admit the originals are way better. My favorite versions of Uematsu's music are the Piano Collections, though; I own VI and VII, and they are just so goooood.

Years ago, there was this band Game Over who played video game metal. Despite their pretty bad version the Super Mario Theme, they had two pretty good covers, or rather reinterpretations. First uses Mega Man themes, second is Castlevania:

18.10.2011 - 03:45
bj_waters

Written by IronAngel on 16.10.2011 at 14:15

Years ago, there was this band Game Over who played video game metal. Despite their pretty bad version the Super Mario Theme, they had two pretty good covers, or rather reinterpretations. First uses Mega Man themes, second is Castlevania:

Well, those were . . . interesting. I guess you have to give them credit for trying to use the songs as inspirations rather than just copying the song note-for-note, like a normal cover.

Written by DesolationJersey on 16.10.2011 at 12:46

This is great! They are also a fucking amazing band, have a great EP and are releasing a new album at the moment, I defiantly recommend them to fans of technical thrash and death metal.

That's way cool!! It actually makes me think of the following OC Remix, "Bowser Is Pissed" from Super Mario Bros. by PriZm. It actually doesn't hit metal until about 2/3rds in, but it's still an interesting remix.

Well, I'm just going to go full OC Remix for this post. Here's "Crypt Rock" from Shadowgate (YAY!) by phoenixdk.

"Pirate Prelude" and "Thrash the Plank" from Donkey Kong Country by Dhsu and SnappleMan. (It's not a collaboration: the one song blends into the other.)

Finally, since we can't get away from Final Fantasy, here's "The Might of Baron" from FF4 by audio fidelity.

20.10.2011 - 03:02
bj_waters

I generally hate to double-post, but I just saw this video and figured it was worth posting here. It's a cover of the Gym Leader Battle song from Pokemon by FamilyJules7X. I think it's worth a listen.

20.10.2011 - 03:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by IronAngel on 16.10.2011 at 14:15

It's like good sci-fi: nobody takes Stargate or Farscape quite too seriously, but they're still the best the genre has to offer.

Can't help but agree with you there as irrelevant as it may be ;]
20.10.2011 - 04:16
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
OK, I can't help but post this up:

This is one of those bands that I randomly bought an album of, and they had this as a bonus track.
22.10.2011 - 06:01
bj_waters

Thanks to Kotaku, here's a sampler from an artist named Vomitron!!!

22.10.2011 - 21:11
ColdRail

Sandopolis - Sonic & Knuckles

those ghosts will get you
22.10.2011 - 21:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
^ interesting o.0
22.10.2011 - 23:33
Mattybu

Written by bj_waters on 22.10.2011 at 06:01

Thanks to Kotaku, here's a sampler from an artist named Vomitron!!!

Interesting, they did a pretty good job with some classics in that sampler.
23.10.2011 - 01:27
IronAngel

Written by Bloody Rain on 20.10.2011 at 04:16

OK, I can't help but post this up:

This is one of those bands that I randomly bought an album of, and they had this as a bonus track.

The vocals are awful, and the guitar lacks the nuances of the original, but it's still nice to hear different versions of the track. I worship Akira Yamaoka's soundtracks, especially SH2 and SH3, so if you know more covers/remixes/stuff, feel free to share!
24.10.2011 - 06:48
Pazu

Ah, yes, I remember the Black Mages version of Otherworld, which is a complete butchering of the orginal version in my opinion. Overall, I kind of like the band (especially the first album), but they have made some bad decisions in rearranging the original tracks. And sadly, they disbanded not too long ago.

By the way, I found this not too long ago on youtube:

13.12.2011 - 02:22
bj_waters

Man, it's been a while since I got back to this thread. School makes life busy. Anyways, here's another foursome of songs for you. First of all, yes, here's another Final Fantasy remix. The problem is that there so MANY FF covers that great ones are bound to show up. I quite like the mood of this one.

"The Skies Hold No Angels For Us" by audio fidelity and Level 99 from Final Fantasy IV.

"In the Darkness of Time" by Rize from Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, one of my favorite games. Also one of my favorite songs from that game.

One thing we really haven't gotten back to is original soundtracks, so here's two that fall under that category

"Darkness Nova" by Yoko Shimomura from Legend of Mana

And finally getting back to Guilty Gear, here's "Blue Water Blue Sky" by Daisuke Ishiwatari

10.01.2012 - 05:44
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I remember that "Bring Da Noize" by Anthrax and public enemy was in Tony Hawk's Proskater 2.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.01.2012 - 16:42
larshammer

This is the evidence of metal owned by capitalist video game industry.
10.01.2012 - 20:43
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by larshammer on 10.01.2012 at 16:42

This is the evidence of metal owned by capitalist video game industry.

Above: One of America's premier video game companies and uber-capitalist NWO scumbags. (if only)
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
11.01.2012 - 00:04
bj_waters

Written by Boxcar Willy on 10.01.2012 at 05:44

I remember that "Bring Da Noize" by Anthrax and public enemy was in Tony Hawk's Proskater 2.

Actually, there are handful of metal songs in the Tony Hawk games. THPS 1 has "Cyco Vision" by Suicidal Tendencies, THPS 3 has "Ace of Spades" by Motorhead, and those are just off the top of my head. Digging through Wikipedia reveals Rage Against the Machine on THPS 3; System of a Down, AC/DC, and Iron Maiden on THPS 4; High On Fire, In Flames, S.O.D., Kiss, and Mastodon on THUG 1; Disturbed, Faith No More, Lamb of God, and Metallica ("Whiplash") on THUG 2; D.R.I., High on Fire again, Mastondon again, Motley Crue, Pig Destoryer, and Venom ("Black Metal") on THAW; Immortal, Slayer ("Angel of Death"), and The Sword on Project 8; At The Gates and Pig Destroyer again on Proving Ground; Suicidal Tendencies on Matt Hoffman's Pro BMX 2. Despite all of the punk rock that take up the majority of these soundtracks, it's interesting to see a handful of metal songs hiding in there.
11.01.2012 - 00:49
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Totaly sucks all in video games sucks I hate it
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
11.01.2012 - 01:12
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Probably the most constructive post I've ever read, k7.
----
11.01.2012 - 01:23
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.01.2012 at 01:12

Probably the most constructive post I've ever read, k7.

I read his... I read yours... I laughed.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
07.02.2013 - 12:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Metroid Metal. Does exactly what it says on the tin.