Metal Storm logo
Video Game Metal

Original post

Posted by bj_waters, 23.09.2011 - 04:52
Alright, everybody. The purpose of this thread to celebrate the combination of video game music and heavy metal. If you find new stuff or just have stuff that you like, post it here! It doesn't matter if it's a remix/cover or part of an official sound track, just as long as it is NOT from Guitar Hero, Rock Band, or Brutal Legend (because that's cheating!). I'll start us off with a set of four!

"Two Shadows Appear" from Shadow of the Ninja by BrainCells. OCRemix has cool stuff in general.

"Battle Theme" from Final Fantasy 6 by The Black Mages. Entry level for video game metal, I know, but they belong here.

Now for some actual soundtrack material!

"The Irony of Chaste" from Guilty Gear Isuka by Daisuke Ishiwatari

"Battle 2" from the most metal soundtrack on the Super Nintendo: Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

This is only a handful from my selection. What do you guys like?
07.02.2013 - 12:49
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
This would be the best game music evah!

----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

07.02.2013 - 15:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Ellrohir on 07.02.2013 at 12:49

This would be the best game music evah!

Wrong thread. Just because it's 8-bit / chiptune doesn't make it video game related In fact this is neither metal nor from a video game.
07.02.2013 - 16:24
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Ok what about this:

----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

08.02.2013 - 06:33
bj_waters

Written by Ellrohir on 07.02.2013 at 16:24

Ok what about this:

Thanks definitely better. Thanks for sharing! I knew that Blind Guardian had written a song for a video game, but I never knew that they made an in-game concert for it. That's pretty crazy.

I was surprised to see this thread get an update. I admit I had neglected it for awhile, but if interest has been renewed, I'll post four more songs! The first one is a song I'm surprised I haven't posted here yet because I really love it. It comes from Animal Crossing, of all things, and it's by Sixto Sounds. Here's "Rockin' the Crossing."

The way that first note hits you is amazing!

Here's another with Sixto Sounds, this time collaborating with Zircon. This one has a lot more synth, but it doesn't stop it from being pretty awesome. This is one is called "Subterranean Kamikaze" from TMNT IV: Turtles in Time!

How about one more. Here Sixto Sounds with working with quite a crew: B33J, Cerrax, nonsensicalexis. However, this time, it's Shadow of the Colossus and it's called "Wanderer on the Offensive." Have a listen.

Right. Time for something different. How about Blaster Master? Man, Sunsoft's music on the NES was amazing. This is Cursed Lemon's take on the Area 3 song, called "The Boy With the Indomitable Spirit," which proves to be pretty epic.

01.03.2013 - 15:52
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Constructing an mp3 playlist for my mp3 player. I've pretty much settled on the fact that Shoji Meguro makes the best battle music ever.

More hard rock than metal, but you know, bite me etc.
10.03.2013 - 01:57
skrog1

I'm a HUGE fan of Super Metroid from the SNES. I redid a couple of parts from the game and threw it into a couple of songs on my latest album. Unfortunately, my label won't post any of the music until AFTER the release of the album BUT you can certainly check it out once the album's released! Check out The Global Elite by Skrog this April!!

I do use some game samples in this video however:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2urLeKilV1A

Some of you hardcore gamers should know what they are....

Be sure to like the official Skrog Facebook page!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband
----
LIKE THE OFFICIAL SKROG FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!!!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband
20.04.2013 - 19:19
Redn1ght
Captain Obvious
This kind of thread and nobody mentions this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M1k1tgq87g
This is madness!
20.04.2013 - 19:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Redn1ght on 20.04.2013 at 19:19

This is madness!

Fixed.
20.04.2013 - 19:59
Sunioj

This is probably my favorite medley. Besides that I regularly listen to the Castlevania - Symphony of the Night soundtrack. It's so boss.
20.04.2013 - 20:00
Redn1ght
Captain Obvious
Written by Guest on 20.04.2013 at 19:20

Written by Redn1ght on 20.04.2013 at 19:19

This is madness!

Fixed.

Thanks. The Youtube embedded box wouldn't appear when I tried to.
20.04.2013 - 20:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Redn1ght on 20.04.2013 at 20:00

Yeah you need to put the numbers and letters that are after the = sign on the address, not the whole thing
20.04.2013 - 20:07
Redn1ght
Captain Obvious
Written by Guest on 20.04.2013 at 20:05

Written by Redn1ght on 20.04.2013 at 20:00

Yeah you need to put the numbers and letters that are after the = sign on the address, not the whole thing

OH! So that's how it works. *facepalms*
20.04.2013 - 23:00
CyberSymphony
Ollie

The nostalgia...
21.04.2013 - 05:15
bj_waters

Written by Guest on 01.03.2013 at 15:52

Constructing an mp3 playlist for my mp3 player. I've pretty much settled on the fact that Shoji Meguro makes the best battle music ever.

More hard rock than metal, but you know, bite me etc.

To be honest, I'm pretty ignorant of the whole SMT franchise. I keep hearing good things about them, but JRPGs in general just haven't clicked with me lately, so I haven't looked into them yet. That's some good music, though. Thanks for posting.

Written by Sunioj on 20.04.2013 at 19:59

This is probably my favorite medley. Besides that I regularly listen to the Castlevania - Symphony of the Night soundtrack. It's so boss.

I've seen a bunch of this guy's videos, but they never seem to click for me. Still, Mega Man's music is pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing. You might also like this unique Mega Man cover ("Nuclear Flash" by Sixto Sounds and zircon).

I think I should also put down a plug for Rainwave, a video game music radio site. They have five stations (chiptune, game sountracks, covers, OC Remixes, and All of the above), but what's interesting is their voting system. Three songs will come up and the one that gets the most votes during the current song will be the next song played. Granted, not all of it is metal, but it's still pretty cool.

In any case, thanks to everyone for sharing.
21.04.2013 - 10:05
Sunioj

Written by bj_waters on 21.04.2013 at 05:15

I've seen a bunch of this guy's videos, but they never seem to click for me. Still, Mega Man's music is pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing. You might also like this unique Mega Man cover ("Nuclear Flash" by Sixto Sounds and zircon).

In any case, thanks to everyone for sharing.

I agree with you I don't like most the things he does. I think he kind does "too much" most of the time, instead of just playing the song he adds in a lot of showy stuff. The remix isn't bad, although I'm more into straightforward metal covers. This thread is pretty awesome, lots of good music here. Btw that Guilty Gears ost is fucking awesome.

I can't believe no one has mentioned Quake 2 yet! I was jamming that shit last night and is definitely one of the best imo. So much awesome memories of blowing stroggs to pieces with the double shotgun.

Aside from that, the Megaman X series has some of the best music in general. There would be too many to list:

Ah, the memories of a wasted youth
21.04.2013 - 14:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by bj_waters on 21.04.2013 at 05:15

To be honest, I'm pretty ignorant of the whole SMT franchise. I keep hearing good things about them, but JRPGs in general just haven't clicked with me lately, so I haven't looked into them yet. That's some good music, though. Thanks for posting.

The SMT games are worth checking out because they eschew most anime stereotypes that are so rampant in JRPGs. SMT Nocturne in particular goes completely against the grain of characterisation and story. If you do somehow end up playing it get the Maniax version (or the European version which is called Lucifer's Call) as there's a whole bunch of extra areas, story and characters in it which add to everything quite significantly. It's easily in my top 5 games of all time.
06.05.2013 - 02:01
Olli

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbLQhzsJG0A
I remember people seemed to think this was Rammstein for some reason.. doesn't really sound anything like em but it's the most metal video game music I could think of
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
06.05.2013 - 03:47
bj_waters

Written by Olli on 06.05.2013 at 02:01

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbLQhzsJG0A
I remember people seemed to think this was Rammstein for some reason.. doesn't really sound anything like em but it's the most metal video game music I could think of

Then you, my friend, need to go back through this thread. There's some great stuff in here.

To be honest, I'm not very familiar with the sound of Rammstein, but you made me think of an OC ReMix. This is actually called "River City Rammstein" by Mazedude.

13.05.2013 - 23:22
Angry Chair

This could maybe be metal, from blackops zombies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L6JchHXX-8
----
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot
14.05.2013 - 00:39
nasmith

14.05.2013 - 23:14
Reika

I think the music from Demon's Crest sounds fantastic translated into metal.
24.11.2013 - 13:13
LordHypnos
Account deleted
This is so epic
24.11.2013 - 14:57
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Anyone familiar with Touhou here?
The original:

Symhonic metal version by Magnum Opus:

And... sympho-black?
----